Ganja takes up role as CIS Cultural Capital 2017
Ganja, has hosted a ceremony as the city is assuming its new role as a Cultural Capital of the Commonwealth of Independent States (CIS) 2017.
Head of Ganja City Executive Authority Elmar Valiyev opened the ceremony and said he is pleased to see the visitors in the homeland of a great Azerbaijani poet Nizami Ganjavi, APA’s western bureau reports.
Valiyev said Ganja has ancient history and culture, and it deserves to be cultural capital of the CIS.
Chair of the Intergovernmental Foundation for Humanitarian Cooperation of Member States of CIS, Russian President's special envoy for international cultural cooperation Mikhail Shvidkoy said that though Ganja was mainly known as an industrial center in the USSR, its history, science and art have been constantly developing.
Mentioning Nizami Ganjavi, he said that this contribution to the world is enough for the city’s becoming a cultural capital. Shvidkoy added that Ganja deserves to be not only a cultural capital of the CIS, but also the world.
Deputy director of Department for Humanitarian Cooperation, Political and Social Problems of the Executive Committee of the CIS Amonzhan Eshonkulov conveyed his congratulations and noted that various cities are assuming this status from 2011. He noted that Ganja is a modern developing city preserving its old traditions. Eshonkulov also stressed that Ganja is situated on the ancient Silk Road and its caret and silk are world-known.
Thereafter, a presentation of Certificate of Cultural Capital of the CIS 2017 was held. The certificate was presented to head of Ganja City Executive Power Elmar Valiyev.
MP Parvin Karimzade, Academician-Secretary of ANAS Ganja Department, Academician Fuad Aliyev spoke about scientific, educational and well-known figures of Ganja. It was noted that Ganja hosted several international projects and distinguished in successfully realization of these projects.
At the end, a group of sportsmen were awarded for successes in sport in 2016.
After opening of the project, the guests attended the event held in Heydar Aliyev Park Complex on the occasion of Nowruz Holiday.
In the second half of the day, a concert devoted to official opening of “Ganja-2017 CIS Cultural Capital” international project will be held.
- 21.05.2018President Ilham Aliyev awards Friendship Order to Anna Netrebko
- 21.05.2018Azerbaijan names first deputy minister of culture
- 18.05.2018President Ilham Aliyev confers honorary titles on several museum employees
- 09.05.2018Azerbaijan’s President awards art workers with presidential awards
- 09.05.2018President Ilham Aliyev awards cultural figures with presidential personal pension
- 01.05.2018Original portraits of Shah Ismail and son to be exhibited in Azerbaijan
- 30.04.2018‘Ali and Nino’ play to be premiered in Georgia
- 26.04.2018British Film Springs to life in Baku
- 23.04.2018President Ilham Aliyev signs order to confer honorary titles on several professionals over cultural heritage protection
- 03.04.2018“Absheron National Park” documentary presented
- 25.03.2018President Ilham Aliyev viewed newly-reconstructed Barda Mausoleum and Torpaggala Complex
- 06.03.2018President Ilham Aliyev presents “Dostlug” Order to director of Moscow Academic Theatre of Satire
- 05.03.2018First VP Mehriban Aliyeva attends opening ceremony of Cultural Center in Shagan
- 19.02.2018Arif Babayev awarded Sharaf Order
- 09.02.2018Alexander Sharovsky awarded ‘Sharaf’ Order
- 02.02.2018Rafig Azimov awarded Shohrat Order
- 01.02.2018Magsud Ibrahimbeyov Creative Center to be established in Azerbaijan
- 31.01.2018President Ilham Aliyev signs order on marking 120th anniversary of Azerbaijani cinema
- 23.01.2018Oscars 2018: The list of nominees in full
- 16.01.2018People’s Artist Chingiz Sadykhov laid to rest - UPDATED
- 10.01.2018Body of famous musician Chingiz Sadykhov to be brought to Azerbaijan
- 28.12.2017President Ilham Aliyev confers Shohrat orders upon Rauf Babayev and Flora Gasimova
- 28.12.2017Salkhab Mammadov awarded Sharaf Order
- 27.12.2017Film dedicated to famous Indian actor Dharmendra screened in Baku
- 22.12.2017Azerbaijan to mark 80th anniversary of composer Elza Ibrahimova
- 22.12.2017Baku hosts event dedicated to Golden Fox Award winner Steppe Man
- 20.12.2017President Ilham Aliyev presents "Heydar Aliyev" Order to People’s Artist Omar Eldarov
- 16.12.2017Vice-President of Heydar Aliyev Foundation Leyla Aliyeva attends poetry day in Gabala - UPDATED
- 07.12.2017Kamancha inscribed on UNESCO Representative List as cultural samples of Azerbaijan and Iran
- 06.12.2017First VP Mehriban Aliyeva inaugurates new building of music school named after Rostropovichs
- 06.12.2017UNESCO recognizes Azerbaijan's dolma as Intangible Cultural Heritage of Humanity
- 18.11.2017IV Baku Int’l Tourism Film Festival wraps up
- 17.11.2017Azerbaijan to mark 10th anniversary of Baku Process
- 15.11.2017Baku hosts event dedicated to twinning project on culture
- 13.11.2017Funding of theatre industry in Azerbaijan down by 300%
- 10.11.2017President Ilham Aliyev inaugurates new building of Ganja State Philharmonic
- 08.11.2017Azerbaijan selects entry for Eurovision 2018
- 07.11.2017Azerbaijani classical music mesmerizes audience in Sacramento
- 03.11.2017Salaries of Azerbaijan State Symphonic Orchestra’s artistic staff increased
- 31.10.2017European Film Festival to open in Baku on Nov. 2
- 04.04.2017Polad Bulbuloglu: Very thoughtful, planned work needed to optimize UNESCO’s activities
- 07.04.2017British Film Spring due in Baku
- 13.04.2017The pain, joy and poetry of mugham comes to Paris
- 17.03.2017Nine nominations received for post of UNESCO Director-General
- 09.03.2017President Ilham Aliyev awards theatre figures
- 23.02.2017Khojaly 25 years on – an evocative musical remembrance in the centre of neutrality