EBU warns Armenia over flag incident at Eurovision semi final
The Armenian national broadcaster has been warned that if the Nagorno-Karabakh flag is shown again during the contest they put themselves at risk of disqualification from this years and future contests. Armenia will be sanctioned for showing the flag by June at the latest.
Full statement is as follows:
The EBU and the Reference Group, the governing body of the Eurovision Song Contest, strongly condemn the brandishing of the Nagorno-Karabakh flag in the Green Room during the live transmission of the first Semi Final on 10 May and considers the flag’s appearance in the transmission harmful to the Eurovision Song Contest brand.
The Reference Group has decided to sanction Armenian broadcaster, AMPTV, in accordance with the Rules. The nature of the sanction will be determined, at the latest, by the next Reference Group meeting in June.
We are acutely aware of the tense situation in the Nagorno-Karabakh region, and the ongoing tensions between Armenia and Azerbaijan. We consider the appearance of a flag of a highly disputed territory in the live transmission a serious breach of Rule 1.2.2h of the 2016 Eurovision Song Contest stating that “no messages promoting any organisation, institution, political cause or other, company, brand, products or services shall be allowed in the Shows”.
Furthermore, the EBU has imposed a zero-tolerance policy towards the Armenian delegation with regards to breaching the Rules of the 2016 Eurovision Song Contest, in particular in relation to the aforementioned incident.
The Reference Group wishes to point out that any further breach of the Rules of the 2016 Eurovision Song Contest could lead to disqualification from this year’s event or any successive editions.
Related news releases
- 13.05.2018Israeli contestant gains victory in 2018 Eurovision Song Contest
- 04.12.2017Gabala to host Veselo festival
- 26.07.2017Revealed when and where the Eurovision 2018 Song Contest to be held
- 27.06.2017Bollywood star: "I'm happy to be in Azerbaijan"
- 01.06.2017Eurovision executive supervisor happy with Ukrainian organizers
- 14.05.2017Portugal wins Eurovision song contest for first time
- 14.05.2017Diana Hajieva performed in the final of the song contest "Eurovision-2017"
- 13.05.2017The Grand Final of Eurovision 2017 starts
- 12.05.2017All finalists for Eurovision Song Contest 2017 revealed
- 10.05.2017Azerbaijan's representative qualifies for finale of Eurovision-2017 Song Contes
- 09.05.2017Azerbaijan`s representative for Eurovision 2017 performs in first semi-final
- 06.05.2017Gianluca Vacchi holds press conference in Baku
- 02.05.2017American pop singer Nicole Scherzinger to perform in Baku
- 30.01.2017Miss France crowned Miss Universe
- 26.12.2016Singer George Michael of Wham! fame dead at 53
- 19.12.2016Miss Puerto Rico crowned Miss World 2016
- 05.12.2016Diana Hajiyeva to represent Azerbaijan at Eurovision 2017
- 31.10.201643 countries to participate in Eurovision 2017
- 25.05.2016French fashion designer Jean-Claude Jitrois presents his collection in Baku
- 16.05.2016Turkish president congratulates Ukraine's Jamala on victory in Eurovision 2016
- 03.05.2016Azerbaijan's Eurovision entry performs in first rehearsal in Stockholm
- 29.04.2016Eurovision 2016: Separatist Karabakh regime flag banned
- 15.04.2016Azerbaijan’s Eurovision entry visits Israel
- 26.03.2016Eros Ramazzotti to give concert in Baku
- 10.03.2016Azerbaijan to present Eurovision song at weekend
- 10.03.2016Azerbaijan names Eurovision 2016 representative
- 29.02.2016Eurovision 2016 tickets go on sale
- 11.12.2015Sergey Lazarev to represent Russia in Eurovision-2016
- 13.06.2015Lady Gaga hidden in hotel for days before games show
- 24.05.2015Sweden has won the Eurovision Song Contest 2015 - PHOTO
- 22.05.2015Elnur Huseynov qualifies to the final of “Eurovision song contest - 2015"
- 21.05.2015“Night of Azerbaijan” held in Vienna as part of 2015 Eurovision song contest - PHOTOSESSION
- 20.05.2015Eurovision-2015 Song Contest kicks off with first semi-final
- 20.04.2015Elnur Huseynov continues his promo tour in Amsterdam - PHOTO
- 14.04.2015Azerbaijan’s Eurovision 2015 representative appears on morning talk show in Budapest
- 28.03.2015Azerbaijan fourth in online voting on Eurovision-2015
- 23.03.2015Azerbaijan to perform 11th in second semi-final of Eurovision-2015
- 23.03.2015Israel protests Hungary Eurovision song
- 17.03.2015Armenian song to be presented in Eurovision-2015 under a new heading
- 03.03.2015Rule of selecting Azerbaijani representative for Eurovision song contest changed
- 12.05.2016Azerbaijani broadcaster: Another provocation will result in Armenian disqualification from Eurovision
- 13.05.201610 more finalists through to the Grand Final
- 14.05.2016The final of Eurovision- 2016 Song Contest starts in Stocholm
- 11.05.2016Azerbaijani broadcasting company calls for Armenian withdrawal from Eurovision
- 11.05.2016Semra Rehimli: "I am so happy to represent Azerbaijan"
- 11.05.2016Azerbaijan's representative qualifies for finale of Eurovision-2016 Song Contest