Bitcoin tumbles after dramatic gains ahead of futures launch
Bitcoin lost almost a fifth of its value in 10 hours on Friday, having surged more than 40 percent in the preceding 48 hours, sparking fears the market may be heading for a price collapse.
In a hectic day on Thursday, bitcoin leapt from below $16,000 (£11,947) to $19,500 (£14,559) in less than an hour on the U.S.-based GDAX, one of the biggest exchanges globally, while it was still changing hands at about $15,900 on the Luxembourg-based Bitstamp.
Having then climbed to $16,666 on Bitstamp at around 0200 GMT on Friday, it tumbled to $13,482 by around 1200 GMT - a slide of more than 19 percent. It was last down 9.3 percent at $15,091.97 on BitStamp.
Bitcoin pulled back ahead of the Chicago-based Cboe Global Markets exchange’s launch of a futures contract on the digital currency on Sunday, to be followed by CME Group the next week, APA reports quoting Reuters.
Craig Erlam, senior market analyst, at OANDA in London said investors may have taken profits on their bitcoin gains ahead of the Cboe launch, which could open the door to short speculators who believe the price has risen far too quickly.
“The initial bounce after this morning’s sell-off suggests there’s still appetite for buying dips but that may not last if we don’t see the kind of rebound witnessed previously,” said Erlam.
“Saying that, the way bitcoin is trading at the minute, I don’t think anyone would be surprised to see it end the day in the green,” he added.
As investors braced for the Cboe launch, some of the big U.S. banks, including JPMorgan Chase JPM.N and Citigroup C.N, will not immediately clear bitcoin trades for clients once investors start trading futures contracts, the Financial Times reported on Friday, citing people familiar with the matter.
Related news releases
- 19.01.2018Ziraat Bank Azerbaijan’s liabilities increase by 69%
- 18.01.2018New department created in Ministry of Taxes
- 18.01.2018Azerbaijan to develop draft law on Investment activity
- 18.01.2018Central Bank of Azerbaijan to attract AZN 250M
- 18.01.2018Azer-Turk Bank ends 2017 on profit
- 17.01.2018Personal incomes rise more than 8% in Azerbaijan
- 17.01.2018Average exchange rate of manat for December announced
- 17.01.2018Average monthly salary increases 6.2% in Azerbaijan
- 17.01.2018Central Bank comments on refusal of floating exchange rate regime
- 17.01.2018Turanbank ends 2017 on loss
- 17.01.2018Demirbank’s foreign stakeholder comments on its closure
- 17.01.2018Azerbaijan Industry Corporation established
- 16.01.2018Anglo-Asian Mining owes $9M to Azerbaijani banks
- 16.01.2018Moody’s prepares capital scenario analysis for rated banks in Azerbaijan - EXCLUSIVE
- 16.01.2018Azerbaijan-based insurers ranking for payments growth rate
- 16.01.2018"Moody's": Weak players of Azerbaijan’s banking sector will exit - EXCLUSIVE
- 16.01.2018Azerbaijan-based insurers ranking for premiums growth rate
- 16.01.2018Moody’s: Further possible tightening of regulation could require additional recapitalization by banks in Azerbaijan - EXCLUSIVE
- 16.01.2018Moody’s: IBA restored capital position - EXCLUSIVE
- 16.01.2018Azerbaijan-based insurers ranking for market share of premiums
- 16.01.2018Azerbaijan-based insurers ranking for market share of payments
- 16.01.2018Azerbaijan-based insurers ranking for payment/premium ratio
- 16.01.2018Azerbaijan-based insurers ranking for payments
- 16.01.2018Azerbaijan-based insurers ranking for premiums
- 16.01.2018Insurance premiums amount to AZN 557M last year
- 16.01.2018Anglo Asian Mining’s shares double
- 15.01.2018More than $15M transferred from Azerbaijan to Georgia last year
- 15.01.2018Azerbaijan Industry Bank increases liabilities
- 15.01.2018Gala Life insurance company reveals 2017 financial performances
- 15.01.2018USD operations decline 1.8-fold in Azerbaijan
- 15.01.2018Azerbaijan sees decline in number of ATMs
- 15.01.2018Deposits in foreign currency decline in Azerbaijan
- 15.01.2018Azerbaijan sees rise in money supply in eleven months of 2017
- 15.01.2018Troubled loans make up 15.5% of provision of crediting
- 15.01.2018Azerbaijan-based banks see decline in total foreign assets
- 15.01.2018Azerbaijan sees rise in provision of crediting in 2017
- 15.01.2018Central Bank announces result of today’s auction
- 15.01.2018Retail trade turnover increases 2.5% in Azerbaijan last year
- 15.01.2018SCC transfers AZN 2.5B to state budget last year
- 15.01.2018Azerbaijan’s positive balance from foreign trade turnover in 2017 exceeds $5B
- 11.12.2017Azerbaijan-based banks’ net worth makes up AZN 3.1B
- 11.12.2017Azerbaijan-based banks’ net profit nears AZN 550M
- 11.12.2017Banks’ liabilities to Central Bank decline
- 08.12.2017Troubled loans reach AZN 1.9B
- 08.12.2017Azerbaijan sees 8% rise in October’s mortgage lending
- 08.12.2017Personal savings increase