Bitcoin tumbles after dramatic gains ahead of futures launch
Bitcoin lost almost a fifth of its value in 10 hours on Friday, having surged more than 40 percent in the preceding 48 hours, sparking fears the market may be heading for a price collapse.
In a hectic day on Thursday, bitcoin leapt from below $16,000 (£11,947) to $19,500 (£14,559) in less than an hour on the U.S.-based GDAX, one of the biggest exchanges globally, while it was still changing hands at about $15,900 on the Luxembourg-based Bitstamp.
Having then climbed to $16,666 on Bitstamp at around 0200 GMT on Friday, it tumbled to $13,482 by around 1200 GMT - a slide of more than 19 percent. It was last down 9.3 percent at $15,091.97 on BitStamp.
Bitcoin pulled back ahead of the Chicago-based Cboe Global Markets exchange’s launch of a futures contract on the digital currency on Sunday, to be followed by CME Group the next week, APA reports quoting Reuters.
Craig Erlam, senior market analyst, at OANDA in London said investors may have taken profits on their bitcoin gains ahead of the Cboe launch, which could open the door to short speculators who believe the price has risen far too quickly.
“The initial bounce after this morning’s sell-off suggests there’s still appetite for buying dips but that may not last if we don’t see the kind of rebound witnessed previously,” said Erlam.
“Saying that, the way bitcoin is trading at the minute, I don’t think anyone would be surprised to see it end the day in the green,” he added.
As investors braced for the Cboe launch, some of the big U.S. banks, including JPMorgan Chase JPM.N and Citigroup C.N, will not immediately clear bitcoin trades for clients once investors start trading futures contracts, the Financial Times reported on Friday, citing people familiar with the matter.
Related news releases
- 19.07.2018Yapi Kredi Bank Azerbaijan ends Q2 on profit
- 19.07.2018Ziraat Bank Azerbaijan gets 77% rise in assets
- 19.07.2018Akkord ends 2017 on loss
- 18.07.2018Amrahbank increases deposit portfolio
- 18.07.2018NBP Baku branch gets decline in assets
- 18.07.2018PASHA Bank ends Q2 on profit
- 17.07.2018Azerbaijan to switch to floating manat rate regime in 2020
- 17.07.2018Anglo Asian Mining earns $14M from sale of gold
- 17.07.2018Oreshkin: Russia-Azerbaijan trade turnover increased by 21% in five months
- 17.07.2018Azerbaijan to establish Competition Authority
- 17.07.2018Xalg Bank ends Q2 on profit
- 17.07.2018USD rate at today's auction announced
- 17.07.2018SOFAZ transfers AZN 84.5B to state budget since 2003
- 16.07.2018Azerbaijan Industry Bank ends Q2 on profit
- 16.07.2018Turan Bank’s gets 13% decline in deposit portfolio
- 16.07.2018Azerbaijan announces manat rate for July 17
- 16.07.2018Central Bank announces result of today’s auction
- 16.07.2018IBA strengthens its capital position
- 13.07.2018Central Bank of Azerbaijan to attract AZN 350M
- 13.07.2018Payments on insurance against industrial accidents amounts to AZN 1.8M
- 13.07.2018Premiums on real estate compulsory insurance increase
- 13.07.2018Azerbaijan sees rise in compulsory insurance of automobiles
- 13.07.2018Azer Turk Bank offers free salary cards to corporate clients
- 13.07.2018Azerbaijan-based insurers ranking for payment growth rate in H1
- 13.07.2018Investments in Azerbaijan’s fixed capital decline by 14%
- 13.07.2018Kapital Bank’s assets in Q2 make up AZN 3.5B
- 13.07.2018Azerbaijan-based insurers ranking for premiums growth rate in H1
- 13.07.2018Azerbaijan-based insurers ranking for ratio of payments to premiums in H1
- 13.07.2018Azerbaijan-based insurers ranking for market share of premiums in H1
- 13.07.2018Azerbaijan-based insurers ranking for payments in H1
- 13.07.2018Azerbaijan-based insurers ranking for premiums
- 13.07.2018Azerbaijan-based insurers’ premiums exceed AZN 396M
- 13.07.2018Official Exchange Rates
- 12.07.2018Georgia’s debt to Azerbaijan declines
- 12.07.2018EBRD increases its share in Unibank
- 12.07.2018Nakhchivanbank ends Q2 on profit
- 12.07.2018State Customs Committee increases budget transfers by 38%
- 12.07.2018Azerbaijan’s positive balance from foreign trade turnover doubles
- 12.07.2018Azerbaijan triples car import
- 12.07.2018London-Mumbai flight makes emergency landing in Baku
- 11.12.2017Azerbaijan-based banks’ net worth makes up AZN 3.1B
- 11.12.2017Azerbaijan-based banks’ net profit nears AZN 550M
- 11.12.2017Banks’ liabilities to Central Bank decline
- 08.12.2017Troubled loans reach AZN 1.9B
- 08.12.2017Azerbaijan sees 8% rise in October’s mortgage lending
- 08.12.2017Personal savings increase