Fed raises interest rates
The Federal Reserve raised interest rates on Wednesday for the second time in three months, citing continued U.S. economic growth and job market strength, and announced it would begin cutting its holdings of bonds and other securities this year, APA reports quoting Reuters.
The decision lifted the U.S. central bank's benchmark lending rate by a quarter percentage point to a target range of 1.00 percent to 1.25 percent as it proceeds with its first tightening cycle in more than a decade.
In its statement following a two-day meeting, the Fed's policy-setting committee indicated the economy had been expanding moderately, the labor market continued to strengthen and a recent softening in inflation was seen as transitory.
The Fed gave a clear outline on its plan to reduce its $4.2 trillion portfolio of Treasury bonds and mortgage-backed securities, most of which were purchased in the wake of the 2007-2009 financial crisis and recession.
"The committee currently expects to begin implementing a balance sheet normalization program this year, provided that the economy evolves broadly as anticipated," the Fed said in its statement.
According to an addendum released with the policy statement, the Fed anticipates that the balance sheet reduction plan would feature halting reinvestments of ever-larger amounts of maturing securities.
The Fed sees the cap for Treasury securities to be $6 billion per month initially, increasing in $6 billion increments at three-month intervals over 12 months until it reaches $30 billion per month.
For agency debt and mortgage-backed securities, the cap will be $4 billion per month initially, increasing by $4 billion at quarterly intervals over a year until it reaches $20 billion per month.
Fed Chair Janet Yellen is due to hold a press conference at 2:30 p.m. EDT (1830 GMT).
Related news releases
- 26.04.2018UK PM’s Trade Envoy expected to visit Azerbaijan in May
- 26.04.2018Fitch: IBRD's capital increase boosts metrics, lending capacity
- 26.04.2018Azerbaijani president meets with UK Minister of State for Trade and Export Promotion
- 26.04.2018Xalg Bank gets 38% rise in liabilities
- 26.04.2018Bank Silk Way ends Q1 on profit
- 26.04.2018Facebook’s revenues from ads near $12B in Q1
- 25.04.2018USD rate for tomorrow announced
- 25.04.2018Unicapital heads brokers ranking for March
- 25.04.2018BSE turnover increases
- 25.04.2018Bank Respublika ends Q1 on profit
- 25.04.2018Compulsory Insurance Bureau ends 2017 on profit
- 25.04.2018Yapi Kredi Bank Azerbaijan ends Q1 on profit
- 24.04.2018Rabitabank sees 33% rise in assets
- 24.04.2018Operations in securities market amount to AZN 6.2B
- 24.04.2018Azerbaijan-based insurers ranking for short-term liabilities growth rate
- 24.04.2018USD rate for tomorrow announced
- 24.04.2018Azerbaijan-based insurers ranking for long-term liabilities growth rate
- 24.04.2018Azerbaijan-based insurers ranking for long-term assets growth rate
- 24.04.2018Azerbaijan-based insurers ranking for short-term assets growth rate
- 24.04.2018Muganbank ends Q1 on loss
- 24.04.2018AFB Bank ends Q1 on profit
- 24.04.2018Azerbaijan-based insurers ranking for liabilities growth rate
- 24.04.2018Bank BTB gets 21% growth in assets
- 24.04.2018Azerbaijan-based insurers ranking for total capital growth rate
- 24.04.2018Azerbaijan-based insurers ranking for assets growth rate
- 24.04.2018ADB to allocate $900M to Azerbaijan in 2018-20
- 23.04.2018Safar Mehdiyev appointed Chairman of State Customs Committee
- 23.04.2018Gilan Holding conducts assessment of HR employees
- 23.04.2018Bakcell fulfills dreams of young entrepreneurs
- 23.04.2018Central Bank announces result of today’s auction
- 23.04.2018Azerbaijan’s new government expected to continue important reforms to ensure sustainable development – World Bank
- 23.04.2018World Bank upgrades its economic growth projections for Azerbaijan
- 23.04.2018President Ilham Aliyev receives Russian minister of economic development
- 20.04.2018State Service for Antimonopoly Policy and Consumer Protection removed subordination of Azerbaijan’s Economy Ministry
- 20.04.2018Azerbaijan’s State Committee on Standardization, Metrology and Patents liquidated
- 20.04.2018Azerbaijan-based insurers ranking for short-term liablities
- 20.04.2018Azer-Turk Bank ends Q1 on profit
- 20.04.2018Azerbaijan-based insurers ranking for long-term liabilities
- 20.04.2018Azerbaijan-based insurers ranking for short-term assets
- 20.04.2018Azerbaijan-based insurers ranking for long-term assets
- 15.06.2017Moody’s: Authorized capital of Azerbaijan’s Bank Respublika to be increased
- 15.06.2017President Ilham Aliyev receives CEO of American company John Deere - UPDATED
- 16.06.2017Azerbaijan Railways CJSC seeks financial advisor to explore possible refinancing of certain existing liabilities
- 14.06.2017Moody’s downgrades deposit ratings of four Azerbaijani banks
- 14.06.2017Furniture and real estates of closed banks put up for auction
- 14.06.2017Retail trade turnover nears AZN 13B in Azerbaijan