Fed raises interest rates
The Federal Reserve raised interest rates on Wednesday for the second time in three months, citing continued U.S. economic growth and job market strength, and announced it would begin cutting its holdings of bonds and other securities this year, APA reports quoting Reuters.
The decision lifted the U.S. central bank's benchmark lending rate by a quarter percentage point to a target range of 1.00 percent to 1.25 percent as it proceeds with its first tightening cycle in more than a decade.
In its statement following a two-day meeting, the Fed's policy-setting committee indicated the economy had been expanding moderately, the labor market continued to strengthen and a recent softening in inflation was seen as transitory.
The Fed gave a clear outline on its plan to reduce its $4.2 trillion portfolio of Treasury bonds and mortgage-backed securities, most of which were purchased in the wake of the 2007-2009 financial crisis and recession.
"The committee currently expects to begin implementing a balance sheet normalization program this year, provided that the economy evolves broadly as anticipated," the Fed said in its statement.
According to an addendum released with the policy statement, the Fed anticipates that the balance sheet reduction plan would feature halting reinvestments of ever-larger amounts of maturing securities.
The Fed sees the cap for Treasury securities to be $6 billion per month initially, increasing in $6 billion increments at three-month intervals over 12 months until it reaches $30 billion per month.
For agency debt and mortgage-backed securities, the cap will be $4 billion per month initially, increasing by $4 billion at quarterly intervals over a year until it reaches $20 billion per month.
Fed Chair Janet Yellen is due to hold a press conference at 2:30 p.m. EDT (1830 GMT).
Related news releases
- 20.10.2017Silk Way Insurance concludes nine months with profit
- 20.10.2017Baku branch of National Bank of Pakistan concludes quarter with loss
- 20.10.2017Bank VTB Azerbaijan increases deposit portfolio
- 20.10.2017AZN 442M to be paid to IBA creditors next year
- 20.10.2017Azerbaijan to allocate AZN 250M for social mortgage from 2018 state budget
- 20.10.2017Azerbaijan’s positive balance from foreign trade turnover makes up $2B
- 20.10.2017Azerbaijan increases expenditures on law-enforcement agencies, prosecutor’s office, defence and judiciary in 2018 state budget
- 20.10.2017Economic growth in Azerbaijan to make up 1.5% next year
- 20.10.2017SCC transfers nearly AZN 2B to state budget this year
- 20.10.2017Base oil price in state budget makes up $45
- 20.10.2017Azerbaijan offers Arab countries to create joint investment funds
- 20.10.2017SOFAZ assets exceed $36B
- 20.10.2017Azerbaijan increases upper limit of SOFAZ transfers to state budget
- 20.10.2017Parameters of 2018 state budget announced
- 19.10.2017Central Bank of Azerbaijan to attract AZN 100M
- 19.10.2017Bank Silk Way concludes three quarters with profit
- 19.10.2017WB forecasts economic growth in Azerbaijan for next two years
- 19.10.2017Trade turnover between Azerbaijan and Georgia exceeds $500M
- 19.10.2017Draft state budget for 2018 submitted to parliament
- 19.10.2017Central Bank transfers AZN 250M to state budget
- 19.10.2017AZN 784M budget deficit emerged in nine months
- 18.10.2017AMF issues AZN 25M bond
- 18.10.2017Extra-budgetary fund of tax authorities receive AZN 62M this year
- 18.10.2017AFB Bank’s special reserves make up AZN 25M
- 18.10.2017FIMSA comments on consolidation of Rabitabank and Bank Respublika
- 17.10.2017Azerbaijan – third biggest investor of Turkey
- 17.10.2017Over AZN 6 billion liquid funds emerged in banking sector - ABA
- 17.10.2017Association: We think all banks should keep operating
- 17.10.2017AZN 41,250 paid in compensation to those suffered by accident resulted in killing of six students
- 17.10.2017Xalg Bank sees 14% decline in personal savings
- 16.10.2017Money transfers from Azerbaijan to Georgia this year make up AZN 11.3M
- 16.10.2017Gunay Bank’s debt to Central Bank declines
- 16.10.2017Caspian European Club to hold business forum with head of SCC
- 16.10.2017Kapital Bank’s profit nears AZN 58M
- 16.10.2017Central Bank announces result of today’s auction
- 16.10.2017AGBank repays AZN 5M to central bank
- 16.10.2017AGBank’s troubled loans increase by AZN 28M
- 14.10.2017Azerbaijan-based banks to work on enhanced mode during shopping festival
- 13.10.2017Azerbaijani population spend AZN 652 million to payment of loan interests
- 13.10.2017Average monthly salary increases 7.4% in Azerbaijan
- 15.06.2017Moody’s: Authorized capital of Azerbaijan’s Bank Respublika to be increased
- 15.06.2017President Ilham Aliyev receives CEO of American company John Deere - UPDATED
- 16.06.2017Azerbaijan Railways CJSC seeks financial advisor to explore possible refinancing of certain existing liabilities
- 14.06.2017Moody’s downgrades deposit ratings of four Azerbaijani banks
- 14.06.2017Furniture and real estates of closed banks put up for auction
- 14.06.2017Retail trade turnover nears AZN 13B in Azerbaijan