Fed raises interest rates
The Federal Reserve raised interest rates on Wednesday for the second time in three months, citing continued U.S. economic growth and job market strength, and announced it would begin cutting its holdings of bonds and other securities this year, APA reports quoting Reuters.
The decision lifted the U.S. central bank's benchmark lending rate by a quarter percentage point to a target range of 1.00 percent to 1.25 percent as it proceeds with its first tightening cycle in more than a decade.
In its statement following a two-day meeting, the Fed's policy-setting committee indicated the economy had been expanding moderately, the labor market continued to strengthen and a recent softening in inflation was seen as transitory.
The Fed gave a clear outline on its plan to reduce its $4.2 trillion portfolio of Treasury bonds and mortgage-backed securities, most of which were purchased in the wake of the 2007-2009 financial crisis and recession.
"The committee currently expects to begin implementing a balance sheet normalization program this year, provided that the economy evolves broadly as anticipated," the Fed said in its statement.
According to an addendum released with the policy statement, the Fed anticipates that the balance sheet reduction plan would feature halting reinvestments of ever-larger amounts of maturing securities.
The Fed sees the cap for Treasury securities to be $6 billion per month initially, increasing in $6 billion increments at three-month intervals over 12 months until it reaches $30 billion per month.
For agency debt and mortgage-backed securities, the cap will be $4 billion per month initially, increasing by $4 billion at quarterly intervals over a year until it reaches $20 billion per month.
Fed Chair Janet Yellen is due to hold a press conference at 2:30 p.m. EDT (1830 GMT).
Related news releases
- 27.06.2017Euro rallies, weak dollar lifts oil; stocks slip
- 27.06.2017Google fined record €2.4bn by EU over search engine results
- 24.06.2017Seven more bank branches and department to work on enhanced mode
- 24.06.2017Stocks advance as dollar weakness lifts oil
- 23.06.2017Bank of Baku increases authorized capital AZN 91M
- 23.06.2017Sixty bank branches and department to work on enhanced mode
- 23.06.2017State Customs Committee tightens control on exporters
- 23.06.2017Yearly budget transfers from advertising may rise 10-fold - EXCLUSIVE
- 22.06.2017Main directions of 2017 state budget revenues announced
- 22.06.2017Reasons for revising 2017 state budget announced
- 22.06.2017Azerbaijan increases revenues and expenditures of 2017 state budget
- 22.06.2017Chamber of Accounts gives opinion on draft law on amendments to state budget
- 22.06.2017IBA transfers $50M to Kazakh Pension Fund
- 22.06.2017Central bank may reduce discount rate at next meeting
- 22.06.2017Central bank: Macroeconomic policy stabilizing manat won’t change by year-end
- 22.06.2017Central bank reduces discount rate to 10%
- 21.06.2017Muganbank’s ratings may become worse
- 21.06.2017S&P: Muganbank will end 2017 on loss
- 21.06.2017S&P: Troubled loans in Muganbank to rise to 20%
- 21.06.2017S&P downgrades Muganbank’s rating to CCC+/C
- 21.06.2017ABA: Ten banks faced capital deficiency
- 21.06.2017ABA: Seasonal factors have no systematic impact on manat
- 21.06.2017Discount rate may be reduced down to 12% is real - ABA
- 21.06.2017ABA: Consolidation in banking sector is inevitable
- 21.06.2017IBA head announces expectations on restructuring plan
- 20.06.2017Azerbaijan establishes State Advertising Agency
- 20.06.2017Azerbaijan’s 2017 budget to be revised
- 20.06.2017June’s pensions to be paid by Eid Al-Fitr - minister
- 20.06.2017Fed's Evans says worth waiting until year-end to assess next rate hike
- 20.06.2017International Bank of Azerbaijan changes plan on restructuring of obligations
- 19.06.2017Financial Markets Supervisory Authority blacklists one person
- 19.06.2017Catering turnover rises 2% in Azerbaijan in 2015
- 19.06.2017ADIF pays over AZN 734M in compensation to eleven closed banks’ customers
- 19.06.2017Azerbaijan sees 1.5% rise in consumption market
- 19.06.2017Azerbaijani customs prevents 7kg of gold bullions smuggling
- 19.06.2017Central Bank announces results of today’s auction
- 16.06.2017Investments in fixed capital from foreign companies make up AZN 3.5B
- 16.06.2017Azerbaijan sees 0.9% decline in economy
- 16.06.2017Average exchange rate of manat for May announced
- 16.06.2017Personal incomes rise 7% in Azerbaijan
- 15.06.2017Moody’s: Authorized capital of Azerbaijan’s Bank Respublika to be increased
- 15.06.2017President Ilham Aliyev receives CEO of American company John Deere - UPDATED
- 16.06.2017Azerbaijan Railways CJSC seeks financial advisor to explore possible refinancing of certain existing liabilities
- 14.06.2017Moody’s downgrades deposit ratings of four Azerbaijani banks
- 14.06.2017Furniture and real estates of closed banks put up for auction
- 14.06.2017Retail trade turnover nears AZN 13B in Azerbaijan