SCC chairman: Israeli citizen confesses to hiding large amount of currency from control - UPDATED
APA reports that Aliyev said the Israeli citizen did not submit a large amount of currency to the customs agency and he confessed it: “Several media outlets released reports on the Israeli citizen. We received video. The video shows that he hid the money, did not submit to the customs authority and confessed it. According to him, he hid the money as if to prevent stealing. However, customs officer showed suspicious acts by him and invited to the personal inspection. The inspection revealed a large amount of money”.
Several media outlets released untrue reports that an Israeli citizen faced unlawful action at Heydar Aliyev International Airport and the currency he carried was seized illegally, State Customs Committee (SCC) told APA-Economics.
The SCC said that an Israeli citizen Alexander Gorenshtein, who intended to fly to Israel from Azerbaijan on May 18, 2017, passed through customs control, but did not submit foreign currency to the customs authority: “Due to suspicious acts, he was detained by customs officers. During the interrogation, he said he has $10,000. However, personal inspection revealed that he had $33,000 in addition and $2,000 in his wallet. Totally, $35,000 has been seized from him, which had not been submitted to the customs authority”.
Investigation on fact is underway.
State Customs Committee (SCC) commented on reports released yesterday that an Israeli citizen faced unlawful action at Heydar Aliyev International Airport and the currency he carried was seized illegally.
SCC told APA-Economics that the reports are untrue: “That person tried to pass through customs control by hiding the currency in a special pocket sewn in his trousers. The video below also shows it. Additional information on fact will be released”.
Related news releases
- 22.05.2018Deputy Minister: Economic reforms ensured macroeconomic stability in Azerbaijan
- 21.05.2018Azerbaijani parliament to revise 2018 state budget
- 21.05.2018Trade turnover between Azerbaijan and Georgia exceeds $360M this year
- 21.05.2018Central Bank announces result of today’s auction
- 18.05.2018Azerbaijan-based insurers ranking for payments growth rate
- 18.05.2018Azerbaijan-based insurers ranking for premiums growth rate
- 18.05.2018Azerbaijan-based insurers ranking for payments market share
- 18.05.2018Azerbaijan-based insurers ranking for premiums market share
- 18.05.2018Azerbaijan-based insurers ranking for payments
- 18.05.2018Azerbaijan-based insurers ranking for premiums
- 18.05.2018Azerbaijan-based 21 insurers’ premiums exceed AZN 301M
- 18.05.2018Central Bank of Azerbaijan to attract AZN 350M
- 18.05.2018Most popular Bakcell tariff “Ela” becomes unlimited
- 18.05.2018Report of Chamber of Accounts on 2017 submitted to parliament
- 17.05.2018USD rate for tomorrow announced
- 17.05.2018Ministry of Taxes combating organized criminal group, not just sellers violating law - INTERVIEW
- 17.05.2018BP announces volume of oil and gas transported via Sangachal terminal
- 17.05.2018Alim Guliyev: Central Bank is comprehensively researching risks on cryptocurrencies
- 16.05.2018AZN 10M allocated for acceleration of socio-economic development of Nakhchivan AR
- 16.05.2018Azerbaijan sees 1.2% growth in economy
- 16.05.2018Personal incomes rise by 9.2% in Azerbaijan
- 16.05.2018Azerbaijan-based financial organizations’ loan portfolio in national currency exceeds AZN 11.6B
- 16.05.2018Azerbaijan’s mobile operators earn AZN 281M in two months
- 16.05.2018Average exchange rate of manat for April announced
- 16.05.2018State budget executed with deficit of AZN 654M
- 16.05.2018Azerbaijan sees growth in revenues from crude oil export
- 16.05.2018Azerbaijan increases car import by 2.7-fold
- 16.05.2018State Customs Committee increases budget transfers by 36%
- 15.05.2018USD rate for tomorrow announced
- 15.05.2018Mortgage and Credit Guarantee Fund issues AZN 20M bond
- 15.05.2018Georgia’s debt to Azerbaijan announced
- 15.05.2018Azerbaijan’s foreign trade turnover in Q1 makes up $2.5B
- 15.05.2018Salary of workers in economy increases by 3.5%
- 15.05.2018AZN 4.2B invested in Azerbaijan’s fixed capital in four months of 2018
- 15.05.2018ADB: Azerbaijan gets 17% rise in export last year
- 14.05.2018Pasha Capital heads brokers ranking for April
- 14.05.2018BSE turnover triples
- 14.05.2018AzSigorta ends 1Q18 on profit
- 14.05.2018IMF: High public investment contributed to growth momentum in Azerbaijan
- 12.05.2018Financial problems revealed in Azerbaijan’s embassies in Georgia, Morocco and Kazakhstan
- 23.05.2017Samir Sharifov: "Azerbaijan's IBA will be privatised but not before 2018"
- 24.05.2017IBA ratings may be revised
- 24.05.2017Azerbaijan-based banks ranking for expenditures growth rate
- 23.05.2017IBA starts talks with foreign creditors in London
- 23.05.2017USD rate at today's auction declines
- 23.05.2017Part of AZN 10B-bonds issued for IBA’s financial health unregistered