SCC chairman: Israeli citizen confesses to hiding large amount of currency from control - UPDATED
APA reports that Aliyev said the Israeli citizen did not submit a large amount of currency to the customs agency and he confessed it: “Several media outlets released reports on the Israeli citizen. We received video. The video shows that he hid the money, did not submit to the customs authority and confessed it. According to him, he hid the money as if to prevent stealing. However, customs officer showed suspicious acts by him and invited to the personal inspection. The inspection revealed a large amount of money”.
Several media outlets released untrue reports that an Israeli citizen faced unlawful action at Heydar Aliyev International Airport and the currency he carried was seized illegally, State Customs Committee (SCC) told APA-Economics.
The SCC said that an Israeli citizen Alexander Gorenshtein, who intended to fly to Israel from Azerbaijan on May 18, 2017, passed through customs control, but did not submit foreign currency to the customs authority: “Due to suspicious acts, he was detained by customs officers. During the interrogation, he said he has $10,000. However, personal inspection revealed that he had $33,000 in addition and $2,000 in his wallet. Totally, $35,000 has been seized from him, which had not been submitted to the customs authority”.
Investigation on fact is underway.
State Customs Committee (SCC) commented on reports released yesterday that an Israeli citizen faced unlawful action at Heydar Aliyev International Airport and the currency he carried was seized illegally.
SCC told APA-Economics that the reports are untrue: “That person tried to pass through customs control by hiding the currency in a special pocket sewn in his trousers. The video below also shows it. Additional information on fact will be released”.
Related news releases
- 21.11.2017UK trade mission to visit Azerbaijan
- 21.11.2017Elman Rustamov: Conformation of economy with current oil price completed
- 21.11.2017Azerbaijan’s strategic currency reserves exceed $42B
- 21.11.2017CBA Chairman: exchange rate of manat stabilized
- 21.11.2017Janet Yellen submits resignation from Fed
- 20.11.2017IBA-Moscow – one of 10 most profitable banks in Russia
- 20.11.2017Trade turnover between Azerbaijan and Georgia exceeds $600M
- 20.11.2017AGBank’s mortgage portfolio exceeds AZN 56M
- 17.11.2017Azerbaijan-based insurers ranking for premiums growth rate
- 17.11.2017Azerbaijan-based insurers ranking for payments/premiums ratio
- 17.11.2017Azerbaijan-based insurers ranking for payments market share
- 17.11.2017Azerbaijan-based insurers ranking for premiums market share
- 17.11.2017Azerbaijan-based insurers ranking for payments
- 17.11.2017Azerbaijan-based insurers ranking for premiums
- 17.11.2017Azerbaijan-based insurers’ premiums near AZN 463
- 17.11.2017Azerbaijani population spend AZN 723 million to payment of loan interests
- 16.11.2017Azerbaijani population spend AZN 14.2B on food this year
- 16.11.2017Azerbaijan, Russia get 6.5% rise in trade turnover
- 16.11.2017Money transfers from Azerbaijan to Georgia increase 9.5%
- 16.11.2017SCC transfers AZN 2.3B to state budget this year
- 16.11.2017AZN12.5B invested in Azerbaijan’s fixed capital this year
- 16.11.2017Azerbaijan’s mobile operators earn AZN 708M this year
- 16.11.2017State budget executed with deficit of AZN 593M
- 16.11.2017Azerbaijan sees 0.7% decline in economy
- 15.11.2017CBA: Global rise of some food products prevent reduction in inflation rate
- 15.11.2017New CEO of Caspian European Club announced
- 15.11.2017Central Bank of Azerbaijan makes decision to keep other parameters of discount rate and interest corridor unchanged
- 14.11.2017President: Azerbaijan’s financial situation is inaccessible for many countries
- 14.11.2017President: No other country developed as rapidly as did Azerbaijan in terms of economic reforms in past 14 years
- 14.11.2017Russian government acquires about 100% of Bank VTB Azerbaijan’s shares
- 14.11.2017Number of wageworkers in economy announced
- 14.11.2017SCC transfers AZN 2.2B to state budget this year
- 14.11.2017Azerbaijan’s positive balance from foreign trade turnover increases 9-fold
- 14.11.2017Azerbaijan increases car import by 86%
- 14.11.2017BSE turnover doubles
- 13.11.2017Drafts of budgets for 2018 recommended to plenary meeting of parliament
- 13.11.2017State budget for 2018 drawn up in three scenarios
- 13.11.2017Inflation in Azerbaijan made up 1.1% last month
- 10.11.2017Bitcoin slides by over $1,000 in less than 48 hours
- 10.11.2017PASHA Bank Georgia sees 10% decline in assets
- 23.05.2017Samir Sharifov: "Azerbaijan's IBA will be privatised but not before 2018"
- 24.05.2017IBA ratings may be revised
- 24.05.2017Azerbaijan-based banks ranking for expenditures growth rate
- 23.05.2017IBA starts talks with foreign creditors in London
- 23.05.2017USD rate at today's auction declines
- 23.05.2017Part of AZN 10B-bonds issued for IBA’s financial health unregistered