SCC chairman: Israeli citizen confesses to hiding large amount of currency from control - UPDATED
APA reports that Aliyev said the Israeli citizen did not submit a large amount of currency to the customs agency and he confessed it: “Several media outlets released reports on the Israeli citizen. We received video. The video shows that he hid the money, did not submit to the customs authority and confessed it. According to him, he hid the money as if to prevent stealing. However, customs officer showed suspicious acts by him and invited to the personal inspection. The inspection revealed a large amount of money”.
Several media outlets released untrue reports that an Israeli citizen faced unlawful action at Heydar Aliyev International Airport and the currency he carried was seized illegally, State Customs Committee (SCC) told APA-Economics.
The SCC said that an Israeli citizen Alexander Gorenshtein, who intended to fly to Israel from Azerbaijan on May 18, 2017, passed through customs control, but did not submit foreign currency to the customs authority: “Due to suspicious acts, he was detained by customs officers. During the interrogation, he said he has $10,000. However, personal inspection revealed that he had $33,000 in addition and $2,000 in his wallet. Totally, $35,000 has been seized from him, which had not been submitted to the customs authority”.
Investigation on fact is underway.
State Customs Committee (SCC) commented on reports released yesterday that an Israeli citizen faced unlawful action at Heydar Aliyev International Airport and the currency he carried was seized illegally.
SCC told APA-Economics that the reports are untrue: “That person tried to pass through customs control by hiding the currency in a special pocket sewn in his trousers. The video below also shows it. Additional information on fact will be released”.
Related news releases
- 21.02.2018AZN 1.2B invested in banks’ equity capital in 2016-2017
- 20.02.2018More than 70% of all transactions at AccessBank go online - INTERVIEW
- 20.02.2018BSE turnover increases
- 20.02.2018Azerbaijan increases car import from Georgia by six fold
- 20.02.2018Deputy Minister: Debts on mandatory state social insurance as of January 1, 2018 exceed AZN 364M
- 20.02.2018Mandatory state social insurance amnesty expected in Azerbaijan - EXCLUSIVE
- 19.02.2018Gala Insurance increases premiums by 27%
- 19.02.2018Petkim doubles profit
- 19.02.2018PASHA Yatirim Bankasi issues TRY 32.5M bonds
- 19.02.2018Trade turnover between Azerbaijan and Georgia exceeds $91M in January
- 19.02.2018Central Bank announces result of today’s auction
- 19.02.2018Yapi Kredi Bank ends 2017 on profit
- 17.02.2018Azerbaijan’s State Customs Committee increases budget transfers
- 16.02.2018USD rate for Feb.19 announced
- 16.02.2018Credit institutions issues AZN 1.3B-shares last year
- 16.02.2018SOFAZ transfers AZN 715M to state budget this year
- 16.02.2018SOFAZ transfers AZN 77.6B to state budget during 15 years - ANALYSIS
- 16.02.2018Personal incomes rise by 12% in Azerbaijan
- 16.02.2018Average exchange rate of manat for January announced
- 15.02.2018Economic growth in Azerbaijan makes up 2% in January
- 15.02.2018State budget executed with surplus of AZN 977M in January
- 15.02.2018Baku hosts next meeting of Azerbaijan-Qatar intergovernmental commission
- 15.02.2018Azerbaijani president meets with Minister of Economy and Sustainable Development of Georgia
- 15.02.2018More than $15M transferred from Azerbaijan to Georgia last year
- 15.02.2018Central Bank of Azerbaijan to attract AZN 250M
- 15.02.2018Azerbaijan Credit Bureau’s authorized capital announced
- 14.02.2018State program on improvement of official statistics in 2018-2025 approved
- 14.02.2018Fitch forecasts increase in economic growth rate in Azerbaijan
- 14.02.2018Fitch: Exchange rate of dollar in Azerbaijan to make up AZN 1.73 this year
- 14.02.2018Azerbaijan’s external public debt announced
- 14.02.2018Finance Ministry announces details of new budget rules
- 14.02.2018Azerbaijan spends AZN 3.4B on pensions and benefits last year
- 14.02.2018Azerbaijani population spend AZN 1.3B on food in January
- 14.02.2018Azerbaijan’s foreign trade turnover in 2017 makes up $24B
- 14.02.2018Investments in Azerbaijan’s non-oil sector increase by 68%
- 13.02.2018Minister: We are aware of tax avoidance cases by foreign companies
- 13.02.2018Ministry of Taxes to pursue stimulating tax policy
- 13.02.2018Minister: Measures will be taken against tax officials about whom complaints have been filed
- 13.02.2018Khalid Ahadov: IBA’s restructuring plan is 90% completed - EXCLUSIVE
- 13.02.2018Azerbaijani president receives Chairman of Germany's Committee on Eastern European Economic Relations
- 23.05.2017Samir Sharifov: "Azerbaijan's IBA will be privatised but not before 2018"
- 24.05.2017IBA ratings may be revised
- 24.05.2017Azerbaijan-based banks ranking for expenditures growth rate
- 23.05.2017IBA starts talks with foreign creditors in London
- 23.05.2017USD rate at today's auction declines
- 23.05.2017Part of AZN 10B-bonds issued for IBA’s financial health unregistered