Two freight trains sent off via BTK - UPDATED
APA reports that the ceremony on departure of first train from New Baku International Sea Port was attended by Azerbaijani President Ilham Aliyev, Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan, Georgian Prime Minister Giorgi Kvirikashvili, Uzbek Prime Minister Abdulla Aripov and Kazakh Prime Minister Bakijan Sagintaev, as well as representatives from Kyrgyzstan and Tajikistan.
Azerbaijani President Ilham Aliyev, Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan, Georgian Prime Minister Giorgi Kvirikashvili, Uzbek Prime Minister Abdulla Aripov and Kazakh Prime Minister Bakijan Sagintaev made speeches about the significance of the project.
Following this, a documentary film on construction of the BTK played.
Thereafter, the first train carrying 32 containers was sent off via the BTK.
A festive ceremony has kicked off on the launch of Baku-Tbilisi-Kars railway line.
APA-Economics reports that the ceremony on departure of first train from New Baku International Sea Port will be attended by Azerbaijani President Ilham Aliyev, Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan, Georgian Prime Minister Giorgi Kvirikashvili, Uzbek Prime Minister Abdulla Aripov and Kazakh Prime Minister Bakijan Sagintaev.
During a meeting in Tbilisi on February 7, 2007, the President of the Republic of Azerbaijan Ilham Aliyev, the President of Georgia Mikhail Saakashvili and the Prime-Minister of the Republic of Turkey Rejep Tayyib Erdogan signed several projects, including; Trilateral Agreement "On Baku-Tbilisi-Kars New Railway", bilateral Agreement between the Government of the Republic of Azerbaijan and the Government of Georgia, as well as the Ministry of Transport of the Republic of Azerbaijan and "Marabda Kartsakhi Railway" LLC, on financing, design, rehabilitation-renovation and terms and principles for maintenance of Marabda-border of the Republic of Turkey (Kartsakhi) Railway Section within the new Baku-Tbilisi-Kars Railway implementation project, and Agreement on Credit Financing Terms of "Marabda-Border of the Republic of Turkey" Railway Section (hereinafter referred to as the "Credit Contract") within the framework of a New Railway line "Baku-Tbilisi-Kars" project.
Implementation of an international project across the Baku-Tbilisi-Kars railway line and the construction of a railway line tunnel in Bosporus, along with connecting Trans-Europe and Trans-Asia railway networks and carrying freight and passengers directly through Azerbaijan, Georgia and Turkey territories will not only boost the transit potential of the regional countries, but also accelerate the processes of integration in Europe, develop the cooperation within the framework of European Neighborhood policy, intensify the state independence and national liberation of Azerbaijan, and expand the foreign economic relations of our country.
Execution of this project has a noteworthy significance from the economic efficiency, speed, time, security and reliability standpoint.
Attracting European and Asian freights to this railway line will increase the volume of intermodal and container transportation in both sides.
On May 18, 2011, a Protocol carrying several additions and amendments to the bilateral agreement were signed in Baku. On the basis of these changes, a new Loan Agreement, within the framework of the new conditions, was signed on July 01, 2011, between the Ministry of Transport of Azerbaijan Republic and "Marabda Kartsakhi Railway" LLC.
The total length of Kars-Akhalkalaki railway line is 105 kilometers. Construction of 76 km-long Kars and Akhalkalaki railway line running via Turkey will be implemented at the expense of Turkey. Construction of 26 km long Kars-Akhalkalaki railway line running via Georgia and rehabilitation/reconstruction of 153 km long existing railway line of Akhalkalaki-Marabda will be financed by the Republic of Azerbaijan for USD 200 mln (loan) at an annual rate of 1% with an option of extension allocated for 25 years (on Tranche A) and for USD 575 mln. (loan) at annual rate of 5% with an option of extension given for 25 years (on Tranche B). A Coordination Board has been established in accordance with the bilateral Agreement, having an exclusive power in monitoring the utilization of the credit, and for this particular purpose controlling its execution.
Pursuant to the Decree of the President of the Republic of Azerbaijan No.1974 dated February 21, 2007, State Committee for Supervision of rehabilitation and reconstruction of existing railroad in Marabda-Akhalkalaki, financing of the construction of the line from Akhalkalaki till the Republic of Turkey and other organizational issues was established.
According to the Decree coordination procedures from Azerbaijan government will be implemented by Azerbaijan Railways CSC.
Pursuant to the Decree of the President of the Republic of Azerbaijan No.1974 dated February 21, 2007, funding of "Baku-Tbilisi-Kars new railway line" project is implemented by the State Oil Fund of the Republic of Azerbaijan. In accordance with this Decree, "International Bank of Azerbaijan" Open Joint Stock Company has been appointed as an agent bank for the organization of credit and provision of bank service on behalf of the Government of the Republic of Azerbaijan.
Since the beginning of financing the project until 30.9.2017, USD 640.3 mln., including USD 10.1 mln. during January-September 2017 were allocated from SOFAZ by treasury to the Ministry of Transport, Communications and High Technologies. According to the bilateral agreement between Georgia and Azerbaijan these assets were transferred to the account of Marabda-Kartsaxi Railway LLC through the International Bank of Azerbaijan directed towards the design, construction, rehabilitation, reconstruction and maintenance of the railway section reaching Marabda-border of the Republic of Turkey.
Transportation of first containers via BTK will be carried out by ADY Container LLC.
Related news releases
- 20.04.2018President Ilham Aliyev views new metro trains delivered to Baku
- 19.04.2018AZAL announces three new destinations within summer flight schedule
- 19.04.2018Azerbaijan increases car import from Georgia by six fold
- 18.04.2018President Aliyev: Azerbaijan turns into one of Eurasia’s transport hubs
- 17.04.2018Caspian Energy journal’s Nakhchivan issue presented
- 17.04.2018Azerbaijan manufactures 59 cars in Q1
- 17.04.2018Azerbaijan’s mobile operators earn AZN 207M in three months
- 16.04.2018Bakcell promotes decent work and economic growth
- 13.04.2018Azerbaijan increases cement import by 2.8-fold
- 13.04.2018Azerbaijan decreases sugar import
- 13.04.2018Azerbaijan decreases butter import by 5%
- 13.04.2018Heydar Aliyev International Airport serves about 900,000 passengers in Q1
- 12.04.2018Caspian European Club solemnly celebrates President Ilham Aliyev’s victory at elections
- 12.04.2018Gilan Holding successfully participates in the AITF 2018 exhibition
- 09.04.2018AZN 12.5mln allocated to improve drinkable water supply to 30 residential areas
- 09.04.2018AZN 5.17mln allocated for construction modular schools in Azerbaijan’s south
- 09.04.2018Caspian Energy journal’s Nakhchivan issue to be presented
- 09.04.2018Traffic restriction for 2018 Formula-1 Azerbaijan Grand Prix announced
- 07.04.2018AZN 2.6mln allocated for construction of modular schools in Aghdash and Barda
- 07.04.2018AZN 7.6mln allocated for hospital constriction in Shamkir
- 06.04.2018Caspian European Club’s Medical Committee holds session
- 06.04.2018Azerbaijani president allocates AZN 1M for improvement of water supply in Lerik
- 05.04.2018President Aliyev approves funding for road construction
- 04.04.2018Indian minister: ‘We’re interested to create transport corridors
- 04.04.2018AZN 5M allocated for construction of ASAN Service center in Agjabadi
- 03.04.2018AZN 2M allocated for construction of carpet weaving workshop in Bilasuvar
- 03.04.2018Azerbaijani president allocates AZN 2.8M for reconstruction of water supply and sewerage system in Shirvan
- 03.04.2018More than 130,000 Azerbaijanis visit Georgia last month
- 03.04.2018AZAL to launch direct flight from Moscow to Lankaran
- 02.04.2018AZN 4.3mln allocated for construction of 14 modular schools in 4 districts
- 30.03.2018Azerbaijani president allocates AZN 14M for water supply in Tovuz
- 29.03.2018Azerbaijani president allocates AZN 4.6M for water supply in Agstafa
- 29.03.2018President: We’ll derive economic benefit by connecting continents, and we create new cooperation format in region
- 27.03.2018AZN 4.1M allocated for development of educational infrastructure in five districts
- 27.03.2018Azerbaijan to build new hospitals in six cities
- 22.03.2018President Ilham Aliyev allocates AZN 2M for construction of carpet weaving workshop in Absheron district
- 19.03.2018AZN 22.3M allocated for construction of Goranboy Central Hospital
- 16.03.2018Fiber-optic internet, digital TV and mobile communication services in a single ‘Qutu’ package
- 16.03.2018Car and truck manufacture in Azerbaijan stops last month
- 16.03.2018Azerbaijan’s mobile operators earn AZN 135.5M in two months
- 30.10.2017Uzbek PM: BTK is an important element of East-West transport corridor
- 31.10.2017Binali Yildirim: Baku-Tbilisi-Kars is a historic project
- 31.10.2017Elmar Mammadyarov explains significance of North-South transport corridor
- 30.10.2017Turkish president: Trains from London to Beijing will move directly
- 30.10.2017Kazakh PM: BTK project to create favorable conditions for transport of goods from China to Europe
- 30.10.2017BTK to change existing economic realities – Georgian PM