Azerbaijani Armed Forces Day marked in London
Azerbaijan’s Embassy in the UK and the Office of Military Attaché have organized an official reception marking the 100th anniversary of the Azerbaijani Armed Forces.
The event was attended by British government and state officials, representatives of the diplomatic corps accredited in London, as well as representatives of the British public, an APA correspondent reported from London.
First, the national anthems of Azerbaijan and the UK were played.
Addressing the event, Azerbaijani Ambassador to the UK Tahir Taghizade emphasized the special role of the Armed Forces within the sovereign state of Azerbaijan.
Azerbaijan’s Military Attaché in the UK Vugar Ahmadov said that the first democratic republic in the Muslim East was established in Azerbaijan on May 28, 1918 and that the armed forces were formed one month later - on June 26.
"It lasted only two years and Azerbaijan was occupied in 1920. After the restoration of Azerbaijan's independence in 1991, the armed forces were re-established,” he said.
Ahmadov said Azerbaijan seeks peace and tranquility in the region.
"But we also want to liberate our occupied lands and restore our territorial integrity. Our demands are based on history, international law and justice. In this modern age, occupation is unacceptable. I hope peace and security will soon prevail in the region," he noted.
The military attaché added that Azerbaijan is a key partner of NATO in the region, saying this can be seen not only from Azerbaijan’s statements, but also from its actions.
"We are supporting the peacekeeping operations in Afghanistan, just like in Iraq and Kosovo,” he stressed.
Early Howe, the UK Minister of State for Defense and Deputy Leader of the House of Lords, said that one of every seven Azerbaijanis that fought in World War II was a woman. He said it is no secret that in the entire Muslim world, women’s suffrage was first granted in Azerbaijan. Howe said that Azerbaijan has been a close friend and partner of Great Britain for a long time. He added that Azerbaijan’s stable stance is a factor in maintaining stability in the Caucasus.
Howe stressed that Azerbaijan is one of the major business partners of the UK and that currently 450 British companies are operating in Azerbaijan. He reminded that in February 2018, the two countries signed a "Military Cooperation Plan for the 2018-2019 Fiscal Year."
- 20.07.2018Azerbaijani servicemen to participate in Tank Biathlon competition
- 20.07.2018Armenia continues breaking ceasefire with Azerbaijan
- 19.07.2018Armenia again violates ceasefire with Azerbaijan
- 18.07.2018Armenia continues breaking ceasefire with Azerbaijan
- 16.07.2018Armenia again violates ceasefire with Azerbaijan
- 14.07.2018Azerbaijani defense minister orders to strengthen security in military units after provocation in Ganja
- 13.07.2018Armenia breaks ceasefire with Azerbaijan 95 times
- 12.07.2018Armenia again violates ceasefire with Azerbaijan
- 11.07.2018Armenia violates ceasefire with Azerbaijan 97 times
- 10.07.2018Group of Azerbaijani peacekeepers leave for Afghanistan
- 09.07.2018Armenia again violates ceasefire with Azerbaijan
- 07.07.2018Armenia breaks ceasefire 83 times
- 06.07.2018Road accident in Nakhchivan kills 3 servicemen, 11 injured
- 06.07.2018Azerbaijani defense minister chairs meeting on results of large-scale exercises
- 06.07.2018Armenia again breaks ceasefire with Azerbaijan
- 05.07.2018Armenia violates ceasefire with Azerbaijan 90 times
- 04.07.2018Live-fire stage of military exercises underway
- 04.07.2018Armenia again violates ceasefire with Azerbaijan
- 03.07.2018Azerbaijani defense minister holds meeting in field conditions
- 03.07.2018Azerbaijani MoD: Regrouping of combat aircraft carried out
- 03.07.2018Armenia breaks ceasefire with Azerbaijan 84 times
- 02.07.2018Troops involved in military drills moving to operational areas: Azerbaijani MoD - VİDEO
- 02.07.2018Azerbaijan army starts large-scale exercises - VIDEO
- 02.07.2018Armenia again violates ceasefire with Azerbaijan
- 30.06.2018Defense Minister: Enemy will feel Azerbaijani army’s strength if Karabakh conflict is not resolved fairly
- 29.06.2018Commemorative event held in Azerbaijan’s Aghstafa to honor martyr Adil Tatarov
- 29.06.2018Naval mine discovered in Azerbaijani sector of Caspian Sea
- 29.06.2018Armenia continues violating ceasefire with Azerbaijan
- 29.06.2018Rules of admission to military lyceums in Azerbaijan changed
- 28.06.2018No incident during OSCE monitoring on Azerbaijan-Armenia border
- 28.06.2018Azerbaijani army under special regime due to high weather temperature
- 28.06.2018Azerbaijan army to hold large-scale exercises
- 28.06.2018Armenia again violates ceasefire with Azerbaijan
- 27.06.2018OSCE to monitor border of Azerbaijan, Armenia
- 27.06.2018MoD: Azerbaijani army’s counteroffensive in Nakhchivan direction left Armenians ‘knocked out’
- 27.06.2018Armenia violates ceasefire with Azerbaijan 118 times
- 27.06.2018Polad Bulbuloglu: "Azerbaijan has every opportunity to resolve the Karabakh conflict by armed means"
- 26.06.2018Georgian defense minister: Georgia and Azerbaijan are strategic partners
- 26.06.2018Azerbaijani SBS responds to Iranian border guard commander’s statement
- 26.06.2018Ilham Aliyev: Day will come when Azerbaijani flag raised on liberated lands is showcased in military parade on Azadlig Square
- 22.06.2018Azerbaijan’s engineering troops launch special tactical exercise
- 22.06.2018Azerbaijani army held over 20 tactical exercises in 2017, defense minister says
- 22.06.2018Military balance between Azerbaijan, Armenia changed in Baku’s favor – defense minister
- 22.06.2018Azerbaijani Air Force continues preparation for upcoming military parade
- 22.06.2018Armenia again violates ceasefire with Azerbaijan
- 21.06.2018Azerbaijani MoD: Artsrun Hovhannisyan continues to surprise people with his stupid comments