Azerbaijani SBS issues statement on border shootout, wounded soldier awarded medal - UPDATED
The State Border Service (SBS) of Azerbaijan has issued a statement about an armed incident at the border with Iran in Jalilabad district.
On 21 June 2018, at 02:45AM, there was an attempt to violate the state border near the Baykhanli village of Azerbaijan’s Jalilabad district, SBS press service told APA.
Azerbaijan’s border guards spotted and intercepted an armed group attempting to enter Azerbaijan from Iran.
The border guards used weapon against the trespassers who ignored their lawful warnings.
In the incident, soldier Ramazan Kurupov, drafted from Balakan district, received bullet wounds in the chest, arms and legs. The trespassers were unable to cross the border and were forced to retreat.
Soldier Kurupov was immediately taken to Jalilabad District Central Hospital by fellow soldiers. Doctors have had an urgent operation on him.
Immediately after the incident, Chief of the Azerbaijani State Border Service, Colonel General Elchin Guliyev and other senior officials visited the site, inspected the scene and gave necessary instructions for the continuation of operational-search measures.
The SBS leadership, head of the Jalilabad District Executive Authority, heads of local law enforcement agencies visited soldier Kurupov in Jalilabad Regional Central Hospital.
Elchin Guliyev expressed his gratitude to the hospital staff for immediately operating and saving the soldier’s life and the Jalilabad District Police Department staff who donated blood for the operation.
Under the order of the SBS chief, serviceman Ramazan Kurupov was awarded the third degree medal "For Distinction in Military Service" for his outstanding merit while carrying out his duties.
Necessary measures are being taken in connection with the incident and a criminal case has been opened by the Military Prosecutor's Office.
An Azerbaijani border guard was wounded in a shootout with trespassers who violated the country’s state border with Iran.
The incident took place in Azerbaijan’s Jalilabad district on the border with Iran, APA’s local bureau has learned.
The wounded border guard, Ramazan Krupov, was hospitalized and underwent surgery.
The condition of the serviceman is not life-threatening but is assessed as critical.
The incident is under investigation.
Information on the trespassers is not yet available.
- 20.07.2018Azerbaijani servicemen to participate in Tank Biathlon competition
- 20.07.2018Armenia continues breaking ceasefire with Azerbaijan
- 19.07.2018Armenia again violates ceasefire with Azerbaijan
- 18.07.2018Armenia continues breaking ceasefire with Azerbaijan
- 16.07.2018Armenia again violates ceasefire with Azerbaijan
- 14.07.2018Azerbaijani defense minister orders to strengthen security in military units after provocation in Ganja
- 13.07.2018Armenia breaks ceasefire with Azerbaijan 95 times
- 12.07.2018Armenia again violates ceasefire with Azerbaijan
- 11.07.2018Armenia violates ceasefire with Azerbaijan 97 times
- 10.07.2018Group of Azerbaijani peacekeepers leave for Afghanistan
- 09.07.2018Armenia again violates ceasefire with Azerbaijan
- 07.07.2018Armenia breaks ceasefire 83 times
- 06.07.2018Road accident in Nakhchivan kills 3 servicemen, 11 injured
- 06.07.2018Azerbaijani defense minister chairs meeting on results of large-scale exercises
- 06.07.2018Armenia again breaks ceasefire with Azerbaijan
- 05.07.2018Armenia violates ceasefire with Azerbaijan 90 times
- 04.07.2018Live-fire stage of military exercises underway
- 04.07.2018Armenia again violates ceasefire with Azerbaijan
- 03.07.2018Azerbaijani defense minister holds meeting in field conditions
- 03.07.2018Azerbaijani MoD: Regrouping of combat aircraft carried out
- 03.07.2018Armenia breaks ceasefire with Azerbaijan 84 times
- 02.07.2018Troops involved in military drills moving to operational areas: Azerbaijani MoD - VİDEO
- 02.07.2018Azerbaijan army starts large-scale exercises - VIDEO
- 02.07.2018Armenia again violates ceasefire with Azerbaijan
- 30.06.2018Defense Minister: Enemy will feel Azerbaijani army’s strength if Karabakh conflict is not resolved fairly
- 29.06.2018Commemorative event held in Azerbaijan’s Aghstafa to honor martyr Adil Tatarov
- 29.06.2018Naval mine discovered in Azerbaijani sector of Caspian Sea
- 29.06.2018Armenia continues violating ceasefire with Azerbaijan
- 29.06.2018Rules of admission to military lyceums in Azerbaijan changed
- 28.06.2018No incident during OSCE monitoring on Azerbaijan-Armenia border
- 28.06.2018Azerbaijani army under special regime due to high weather temperature
- 28.06.2018Azerbaijan army to hold large-scale exercises
- 28.06.2018Armenia again violates ceasefire with Azerbaijan
- 27.06.2018OSCE to monitor border of Azerbaijan, Armenia
- 27.06.2018MoD: Azerbaijani army’s counteroffensive in Nakhchivan direction left Armenians ‘knocked out’
- 27.06.2018Armenia violates ceasefire with Azerbaijan 118 times
- 27.06.2018Polad Bulbuloglu: "Azerbaijan has every opportunity to resolve the Karabakh conflict by armed means"
- 26.06.2018Georgian defense minister: Georgia and Azerbaijan are strategic partners
- 26.06.2018Azerbaijani SBS responds to Iranian border guard commander’s statement
- 26.06.2018Ilham Aliyev: Day will come when Azerbaijani flag raised on liberated lands is showcased in military parade on Azadlig Square
- 21.06.2018Azerbaijani MoD: Artsrun Hovhannisyan continues to surprise people with his stupid comments
- 22.06.2018Armenia again violates ceasefire with Azerbaijan
- 22.06.2018Azerbaijani Air Force continues preparation for upcoming military parade
- 21.06.2018Azerbaijani army liberates strategic heights, controls winery in Nakhchivan - VİDEO
- 21.06.2018OSCE permanent representatives arrive in Azerbaijan
- 21.06.2018Armenia violates ceasefire 125 times