Ali Hasanov: Azerbaijan supports idea of conducting reforms in UN
A panel session titled “What alliances will be built in the forging of modern international relations?” was held within the Fifth Baku Global Forum on Thursday.
Addressing the panel, former Bulgarian President Petar Stoyanov said that there is such an impression that the United States has become the only superpower after the collapse of the USSR.
EU countries, according to the ex-president, believe in the future of NATO and see no alternative to the alliance.
Former president of Ecuador Rosalia Arteaga said that today the US is pursuing a policy of protectionism which, according to him, caused the Great Depression of the 1930s.
Arteaga said he believes the US will strengthen its economic ties with the United Kingdom and form an alliance with it.
He stressed the importance of promoting peace, the need to introduce this topic into school textbooks.
Former Croatian president Ivo Josipović stressed his concern about the future of peace.
"People are very worried about tomorrow. The West could not predict what would be the effect of interference in the affairs of different countries. A few years ago, when I was the president, they said at a meeting with high-ranking US officials that the Syrian issue had already been resolved. However, this problem is still not solved. I am afraid that the great powers will allow the Syrian situation to repeat itself in other countries and regions, including the Balkans,” he added.
Former French finance minister Edmond Alphandéry said that he has not lost faith in the European Union.
"The most important thing is to make sure we don’t make any mistake as to the European Union, whose 60th anniversary we’re going to mark in the coming days. We must strengthen our defense capabilities within NATO. It is necessary to assure the Europeans that the European Union is a very successful union," he added.
Nicholas Logothetis, co-founder and chairman of the Board of Concordia, said he has very good impressions of Azerbaijan and that he will come to Azerbaijan with his wife on vacation. He said no one could predict what steps the new US government would take.
"There are two forces in the White House today. One of them is the traditional Republicans, and the second is the force led by Steve Benen. Steve Benen expresses very dangerous thoughts. He talks about the reconstruction of the state administration and strongly believes in populist politics. He has a very strong influence on Donald Trump. I believe that the traditional Republicans will win. The world will witness that November 9, 2017 will be very different from November 9, 2016,” he noted.
Addressing the event, Azerbaijani President's Aide for Public and Political Affairs Ali Hasanov said that new approaches are emerging in connection with the role and position of influential political organizations including the UN in the system of international relations.
According to him, it’s a regrettable fact that most of UN resolutions and decisions are not imperative and that it takes a double-standard approach to punishing aggressive countries responsible for the instigation of conflicts around the world.
"Today, it is clear to everyone that, under the influence of some Western countries, the UN fails to show the same attitude towards the implementation of its resolutions and decisions, which causes serious damage to its reputation,” the top official said, noting that a number of countries in the South Caucasus, Eastern Europe, some parts of Africa, and the Far East are losing their confidence in the UN.
He stressed that Azerbaijan, which never interferes in domestic affairs of other countries and respects international law, supports UN resolutions that aim to resolve conflicts in various parts of the world and their speedy implementation.
Hasanov criticized the UN, saying that it was quick to encourage Iraq’s immediate punishment while having failed so far to demonstrate a principal stance to encourage the fulfillment of its resolutions concerning the Armenia-Azerbaijan Nagorno-Karabakh conflict.
“While the UN resolution regarding Libya was fulfilled straightaway, the four resolutions the UN passed concerning Armenia have not been implemented for more than two decades. As a result, the necessity has arisen for the UN to carry out new reforms, to restructure itself, and to make serious changes in its strategy in order to be able to operate as an independent organization far from double standards,” he added.
The top official stressed that the idea of carrying out reforms in the UN became more pressing with the adoption of the Millennium Declaration in the early 21st century.
He said that Azerbaijan supports the idea of carrying out reforms in the UN to eliminate conflicts worldwide and ensure peace and stability.
Hasanov went on to note that various approaches have been taken by the international community as to what unions to establish in regulating modern international relations.
The top official pointed out that the Non-Aligned Movement (NAM), which Azerbaijan became a member of in 2011, wants a new architecture of world order to be based on equal-right partnership.
“We think that saving the world lies in finding a balance between international law and power,” he added.
- 18.05.2018Armenian lobby attempts to prevent event dedicated to Azerbaijan’s multifaith harmony and tolerance in San Francisco
- 11.05.2018U.S.-based Azerbaijani diaspora responds to Helsinki Commission statement on April 11 presidential election
- 10.05.2018New book on Azerbaijan published in Los Angeles
- 09.05.2018Staff changes expected at Azerbaijan's State Committee for Work with Diaspora
- 07.05.2018Representatives of Azerbaijani diaspora organizations in Europe hold meeting in OSCE ODIHR
- 07.05.2018Fuad Muradov: Some marginalized groups try to destabilize situation in Azerbaijan
- 25.04.2018New chairman of State Committee on Work with Diaspora addresses Azerbaijanis around the world
- 24.04.2018Ramiz Mehdiyev criticizes activity of State Committee on Work with Diaspora
- 24.04.2018Azerbaijani, Turkish youth march in Tbilisi to protest against “Armenian genocide” rally
- 23.04.2018New chairman of State Committee on Work with Diaspora appointed
- 20.04.2018European Azerbaijanis appeal to international organizations over Armenian provocations
- 11.04.2018Azerbaijanis hold solidarity rally in Berlin
- 10.04.2018Centenary of Azerbaijan Democratic Republic marked in NYC
- 09.04.2018Azerbaijanis hold solidarity rally in Brussels in connection with presidential election
- 03.04.2018Nazim Ibrahimov: Backers of anti-Azerbaijani group are well-known - INTERVIEW
- 26.03.2018"Quiet March" on Day of Genocide of Azerbaijanis held in Netherlands
- 14.03.2018Sahil Gasimov: CEA has turned into robust political organization on a global level
- 02.03.2018Mauritius president to visit Azerbaijan
- 28.02.2018Macedonian president to attend 6th Global Baku Forum
- 28.02.2018Turkish PM, FM to visit Azerbaijan in mid-March
- 27.02.2018A panel discussion on the theme "Azerbaijani Diaspora and Azerbaijani Media" held in Amsterdam
- 27.02.2018Ali Hasanov: Armenians building state on Azerbaijan’s ancestral lands with support foreign backers
- 27.02.2018Congress of European Azerbaijanis holding session in Amsterdam
- 27.02.2018Mass events planned to be held in Europe to mark centenary of Azerbaijan Democratic Republic
- 15.02.2018Albanian president due in Azerbaijan
- 08.02.2018The European Azerbaijanis presented appeal in the Parliament of Finland in connection with Khojaly
- 08.02.2018'Congress of Russian Azerbaijanis': New diaspora organization to be created in place of ARAC
- 01.02.2018OSCE MG co-chairs to arrive in Azerbaijan on Feb. 3 - EXCLUSIVE
- 27.01.2018Office of Azerbaijani Diaspora organization attacked in the Netherlands
- 19.01.2018Black January martyrs commemorated in UK Parliament
- 06.01.2018Azerbaijani businessman goes missing in Ukraine
- 01.01.2018Armenia violates ceasefire 135 times
- 29.12.2017Azerbaijan has its say in global politics – State Committee
- 28.12.2017President Ilham Aliyev awards some people ‘Order of Friendship’
- 27.12.2017Number of deputy chairpersons of Azerbaijani State Committee for Work with Diaspora increased
- 23.12.2017Azerbaijani embassy in Netherlands holds event on Solidarity Day
- 11.12.2017Azerbaijanis in Russia support Putin’s candidacy for post of president
- 28.11.2017Russia's Justice Ministry excludes ARAC from Unified State Register of Legal Entities
- 24.11.2017Azerbaijanis stage protest rally outside European Parliament
- 24.11.2017New Azerbaijani diaspora organization to be created in Russia in stead of closed VAK - EXCLUSIVE
- 17.03.2017Khojaly – a heartrending artistic inspiration – highlighted in Paris
- 28.03.2017Azerbaijan praised as 'Beacon of Religious Tolerance' following visit by children from Atlanta Jewish Academy
- 31.03.2017Russian Ministry of Justice appeals to Supreme Court for abolishment of All-Russian Azerbaijani Congress
- 16.03.2017Georgian president calls for condemnation of military aggression worldwide
- 16.03.2017UN does not justify hopes of peoples: Latvia’s ex-president
- 16.03.2017Fifth Global Baku Forum kicks off