Black January martyrs commemorated in UK Parliament
On 18 January, the Black January dead were remembered during a landmark reception in the Macmillan Room of Portcullis House in the UK Parliament, located a few metres from Big Ben.
The event was attended by Peers Lord David Evans and Lord Leslie Turnberg, and around 40 diplomats, Azerbaijanis and friends of the country and hosted by Bob Blackman MP, Chair, Azerbaijan All-Party Parliamentary Group (APPG).
It was jointly organised by the Embassy of Azerbaijan to the UK and The European Azerbaijan Society (TEAS).
This commemoration marked one of the saddest events in recent Azerbaijani history, TEAS told APA.
On 19–20 January 1990, around 26,000 Soviet armed forces violently suppressed a peaceful independence demonstration in Central Baku. They were acting on the direct orders of Mikhail Gorbachev, final General-Secretary of the Soviet Communist Party and Dmitry Yazov, Soviet Defence Minister.
Official estimates state that between 131 and 170 civilians were killed, and between 700 and 800 were injured. Unofficial figures, based on the accounts of witnesses, put the figure much higher. Following this, a State of Emergency was declared. Despite this tragedy, the demonstration marked the start of the path to Azerbaijani independence on 18 October 1991, and heralded the swift collapse of the Soviet Union.
In 1995, Gorbachev admitted his mistake by stating: “The declaration of a State of Emergency in Baku was the biggest mistake of my political career.” When questioned in 2015, he remained guilt-stricken, saying: “I am reluctant to give any comments about the events of January 1990, because it is difficult to speak about that night without a lot of remembering, analysis and deep thoughts.”
Bob Blackman MP, Chair, Azerbaijan All-Party Parliamentary Group (APPG), stated: “I have had the pleasure of visiting Azerbaijan on four occasions. Azerbaijan was very different when it was under Soviet rule and oppression. Obviously, at that time, there was a desire for freedom in the country and the Soviet Union was clearly at breaking point. Mikhail Gorbachev asserted that it was necessary to use the military to put down the peaceful protests in Baku. This was an attempt to suppress the natural desire of the Azerbaijani people for independence.
“There are unofficial estimates that 300 were killed. These were individuals that just wanted to live in a free society. We commemorate and honour their memory today and that they gave their lives so that Azerbaijan could be free, and thank them for their sacrifices.
“We should also remember that this terrible and horrible event led to the emergence of the Azerbaijani state that we see today, which has a thriving economy, and accepts individuals for what they are and permits freedom of religious expression. The UK reaches out the hand of friendship to Azerbaijan, and we acknowledge the great partnership between our countries.”
H.E. Tahir Taghizadeh, Azerbaijani Ambassador to the UK, reflected: “We should focus on the positive outcome of the sacrifices of those young men and women who gave their lives for the creation of Azerbaijani statehood 28 years ago. The massacre was the result of the Soviet regime, which was like a dying whale, trying to maintain a grip on its republics. In fact, it speeded a mass exodus from the Communist party and resulted in greater anti-Soviet sentiments in Azerbaijan. The uprising was the point at which we stopped being Soviet.
“The regime was oppressive, but there were hopes in the west that Gorbachev would be able to reform the country and give communism ‘a human face’. In my view, this was not possible in the Soviet Union. The forcible repression in Baku disillusioned the west from thinking that this was possible and they realised, at that point, that the Soviet regime was beyond reform. The events in Baku were a great catalyst for the collapse of the Soviet Union as a whole.
“It should be remembered that the Black January victims buried in Martyrs’ Alley included Georgians, Russians and Jews, representing the inclusive nature of Azerbaijani society. We were and remain a multi-ethnic, progressive state that aims to play its role in the international arena, and we pay a great debt to those who lost their lives in 1990.”
The event concluded with a brief, yet heartfelt, solo performance by septuagenarian tar maestro Rafiq Rustamov, who commented: “Today I play in memory of those who gave their lives during the Black January tragedy in Baku.” His illustrious career of performance and education continued unhindered throughout both the Soviet and independence periods of Azerbaijani history.
- 18.05.2018Armenian lobby attempts to prevent event dedicated to Azerbaijan’s multifaith harmony and tolerance in San Francisco
- 11.05.2018U.S.-based Azerbaijani diaspora responds to Helsinki Commission statement on April 11 presidential election
- 10.05.2018New book on Azerbaijan published in Los Angeles
- 09.05.2018Staff changes expected at Azerbaijan's State Committee for Work with Diaspora
- 07.05.2018Representatives of Azerbaijani diaspora organizations in Europe hold meeting in OSCE ODIHR
- 07.05.2018Fuad Muradov: Some marginalized groups try to destabilize situation in Azerbaijan
- 25.04.2018New chairman of State Committee on Work with Diaspora addresses Azerbaijanis around the world
- 24.04.2018Ramiz Mehdiyev criticizes activity of State Committee on Work with Diaspora
- 24.04.2018Azerbaijani, Turkish youth march in Tbilisi to protest against “Armenian genocide” rally
- 23.04.2018New chairman of State Committee on Work with Diaspora appointed
- 20.04.2018European Azerbaijanis appeal to international organizations over Armenian provocations
- 11.04.2018Azerbaijanis hold solidarity rally in Berlin
- 10.04.2018Centenary of Azerbaijan Democratic Republic marked in NYC
- 09.04.2018Azerbaijanis hold solidarity rally in Brussels in connection with presidential election
- 03.04.2018Nazim Ibrahimov: Backers of anti-Azerbaijani group are well-known - INTERVIEW
- 26.03.2018"Quiet March" on Day of Genocide of Azerbaijanis held in Netherlands
- 14.03.2018Sahil Gasimov: CEA has turned into robust political organization on a global level
- 02.03.2018Mauritius president to visit Azerbaijan
- 28.02.2018Macedonian president to attend 6th Global Baku Forum
- 28.02.2018Turkish PM, FM to visit Azerbaijan in mid-March
- 27.02.2018A panel discussion on the theme "Azerbaijani Diaspora and Azerbaijani Media" held in Amsterdam
- 27.02.2018Ali Hasanov: Armenians building state on Azerbaijan’s ancestral lands with support foreign backers
- 27.02.2018Congress of European Azerbaijanis holding session in Amsterdam
- 27.02.2018Mass events planned to be held in Europe to mark centenary of Azerbaijan Democratic Republic
- 15.02.2018Albanian president due in Azerbaijan
- 08.02.2018The European Azerbaijanis presented appeal in the Parliament of Finland in connection with Khojaly
- 28.12.2017President Ilham Aliyev awards some people ‘Order of Friendship’
- 27.12.2017Number of deputy chairpersons of Azerbaijani State Committee for Work with Diaspora increased
- 23.12.2017Azerbaijani embassy in Netherlands holds event on Solidarity Day
- 11.12.2017Azerbaijanis in Russia support Putin’s candidacy for post of president
- 28.11.2017Russia's Justice Ministry excludes ARAC from Unified State Register of Legal Entities
- 24.11.2017Azerbaijanis stage protest rally outside European Parliament
- 24.11.2017New Azerbaijani diaspora organization to be created in Russia in stead of closed VAK - EXCLUSIVE
- 20.11.2017Brussels hosts int’l forum on separatism threats to peace, security
- 02.11.2017Fazil Gurbanov: In case of negative decision, we eye to create new organization in place of ARAC - INTERVIEW
- 02.11.2017All-Russian Azerbaijani Congress submits complaint to Presidium of Russian Supreme Court against decision on its liquidation
- 23.10.2017Brussels to host int’l forum on separatism
- 05.10.2017Estonia’s ex-minister of Azerbaijani descent to run for mayor of Narva
- 22.09.2017Armenian provocation prevented at Paris int’l festival
- 19.09.2017Russian Supreme Court rejects appeal of All-Russian Azerbaijani Congress
- 27.01.2018Office of Azerbaijani Diaspora organization attacked in the Netherlands
- 01.02.2018OSCE MG co-chairs to arrive in Azerbaijan on Feb. 3 - EXCLUSIVE
- 08.02.2018'Congress of Russian Azerbaijanis': New diaspora organization to be created in place of ARAC
- 06.01.2018Azerbaijani businessman goes missing in Ukraine
- 01.01.2018Armenia violates ceasefire 135 times
- 29.12.2017Azerbaijan has its say in global politics – State Committee