Ali Hasanov: Azerbaijani legislation allows NGOs to operate freely
A hundred years ago, a democratic republic was founded for the first time in the East, Ali Hasanov, Azerbaijani president's assistant for public and political affairs said in his speech about political dialogue and reforms at the15th meeting of the EU-Azerbaijan Parliamentary Cooperation Committee in Baku on Monday, APA reports.
Hasanov said the independent Republic of Azerbaijan is the legitimate heir to the Azerbaijan Democratic Republic.
"The establishment of a legal and democratic state in Azerbaijan and formation of free economic relations are the main goals. Unfortunately, in the early years of independence, Azerbaijan faced Armenia’s aggressive policy. The international political situation as well as the incompetence of then-government leaders led to a recession in Azerbaijan. With Heydar Aliyev’s coming to power, transition to development and liberal economy began. The essence of President Ilham Aliyev's policy is the promotion of human rights and freedoms, development of civil society institutions; a consistent policy is being carried out in this direction,” he said.
Hasanov then spoke about political parties, non-governmental organizations and media outlets operating in Azerbaijan.
He noted that favorable conditions were created for political parties to act freely in Azerbaijan.
"The law sets very simple requirements for state registration of parties. Currently, there are 55 registered parties in Azerbaijan,” he said.
Hasanov recalled that the law on political parties was amended in May 2012.
“Every year 2.5 million manats are allocated from the state budget to finance political parties. Forty percent of these funds are proportionally distributed to the parties elected to the parliament, and 50 percent to the number of parliament members. Ten percent of the funds are distributed among parties that have won at least 3 percent of the vote in the last parliamentary elections. Currently, seven opposition parties are represented in the parliament," the top official added.
Hasanov emphasized that the Azerbaijani legislation allows NGOs to operate freely.
“The state is currently finances projects of NGOs through the Council of State Support to Non-Governmental Organizations and the Youth Foundation under the President of the Republic of Azerbaijan, as well as other government agencies,” the president's assistant said.
Hasanov said that the focus will be on improving the mechanism of cooperation between state and public organizations.
“NGOs will be involved in the development of important state programs. The law “On public participation”, which came into force in 2014, serves this purpose. According to the law, public councils have been established under central executive bodies,” he added.
Hasanov also spoke about the work done in connection with e-government.
“One of the main purposes in this area is the provision of electronic services to NGOs,” he added.
Related news releases
- 21.05.2018Azerbaijani parliament to convene extraordinary meeting
- 21.05.2018PACE sanction on Samad Seyidov ‘unfair’: OSCE PA vice-president
- 18.05.2018New head of Naftalan City Executive Authority appointed
- 18.05.2018Hasan Hasanov: First state called Azerbaijan established 7th century BC, when there was no trace of Armenians - INTERVIEW
- 18.05.2018Samad Seyidov: PACE sanctions – result of double-standard attitude towards Azerbaijan
- 18.05.2018PACE decision directed against Azerbaijan’s economic development, says lawmaker
- 18.05.2018MP: Azerbaijan to continue its principled activity in PACE
- 18.05.2018Azerbaijani lawmakers slam PACE sanctions decision
- 18.05.2018President Ilham Aliyev inaugurates new administrative building of New Azerbaijan Party
- 17.05.2018Head of Binagadi District Executive Authority dismissed
- 16.05.2018Ilham Aliyev: Nakhchivan to escape from blockade once North-South Transport Corridor is ready
- 16.05.2018President Ilham Aliyev visits statue of national leader Heydar Aliyev in Nakhchivan
- 16.05.2018President Ilham Aliyev arrives in Nakhchivan
- 15.05.2018Azerbaijan Pardon Issues Commission holds another meeting
- 15.05.2018May 28 declared Azerbaijan National Day in capital of Mississipi
- 12.05.2018US to help North Korea's economy if it denuclearizes
- 11.05.2018Elchin Afandiyev awarded Shohrat Order
- 11.05.2018Rector of Azerbaijan State University of Culture and Arts removed from duty
- 11.05.2018President Ilham Aliyev appoints head of department for humanitarian policy issues at Presidential Administration
- 11.05.2018Rovshan Najaf appointed head of department at Azerbaijani Presidential Administration
- 11.05.2018Jewish community of Azerbaijan marks Day of Salvation and Liberation
- 11.05.2018President Ilham Aliyev: "Azerbaijan’s principled position on the Armenia-Azerbaijan Nagorno-Karabakh conflict remains unchanged"
- 11.05.2018Azerbaijani President: "If Heydar Aliyev was at that time in Azerbaijan, he would not have allowed the Karabakh conflict to begin"
- 10.05.2018President Ilham Aliyev attends solemn ceremony to mark 95th anniversary of national leader Heydar Aliyev
- 10.05.2018Exhibition titled “Heydar Aliyev: Personality, Mission, Heritage” opens in Baku
- 10.05.2018Parliament speaker: Heydar Aliyev always lived up to Azerbaijani people’s expectations and proved to be a true leader
- 10.05.2018Azerbaijani parliament holding special meeting
- 10.05.2018President Ilham Aliyev attends tree-planting campaign on occasion of national leader Heydar Aliyev’s birthday
- 10.05.2018Azerbaijani Chamber of Accounts to present annual report in parliament
- 10.05.2018President Ilham Aliyev visits grave of national leader Heydar Aliyev
- 10.05.2018Azerbaijan marks 95th birthday anniversary of National Leader Heydar Aliyev
- 09.05.2018President Ilham Aliyev attends ceremony to mark May 9 - Victory Day in Baku
- 09.05.2018Azerbaijan marks Day of Victory in Great Patriotic War
- 04.05.2018Turkish cargo vessel, Greek warship collide in Aegean
- 04.05.2018Ilham Aliyev: Economic development fully ensured in Azerbaijan
- 04.05.2018Azerbaijani parliament to convene special meeting
- 04.05.2018President Ilham Aliyev arrives in Khizi district
- 04.05.2018Gudrat Hasanguliyev: Salaries of MPs should be at least 8,000 manats
- 04.05.2018Azerbaijan’s national coordinator for combating human trafficking presenting annual report in parliament
- 04.05.2018Salaries of MPs, ombudsman and judges increased by 10% in Azerbaijan
- 07.05.2018Sabuhi Shahverdiyev appointed prosecutor for Nakhchivan Autonomous Republic
- 07.05.2018Prosecutor General's Office: Extradition of person inflicted injures to Supreme Rada MP to be considered
- 08.05.2018Karabakh conflict settlement discussed at EU-Azerbaijan Parliamentary Cooperation Committee meeting
- 07.05.2018Deputy PM comments on possible early parliamentary elections in Azerbaijan
- 07.05.2018Internal confrontation in Armenia to last long: Azerbaijan’s ruling party
- 07.05.2018New Azerbaijan Party holds event to mark 95th birth anniversary of national leader Heydar Aliyev