Azerbaijan marks 95th birthday anniversary of National Leader Heydar Aliyev
Today, Azerbaijan marks the 95th birthday anniversary of National Leader Heydar Aliyev.
Various events are held in Azerbaijan and foreign countries to mark the 95th birthday anniversary of national leader Heydar Aliyev.
Heydar Alirza oglu Aliyev was born on 10 May 1923 in Nakhchivan City of Azerbaijan. In 1939, after graduating from the Nakhchivan Pedagogical School he studied at the Architecture Department of the Azerbaijan Industry Institute (present Azerbaijan State Oil Academy). The incipient war impeded to complete his education. From 1941, Heydar Aliyev headed the department at the People’s Commissariat of Internal Affairs of the Autonomous Soviet Socialist Republic of Nakhchivan and in 1944 was sent to work at the state security bodies. Heydar Aliyev, working since that time in the security bodies, from 1964 held the post of deputy chairman, and from 1967 chairman of the Committee of State Security under the Cabinet of Ministers of the Republic of Azerbaijan, and he was conferred the rank of lieutenant general. These years, he received special higher education in Leningrad (present St Petersburg), and in 1957 he graduated from the History Department of the Azerbaijan State University.
Being elected at the Plenum of the Central Committee of the Communist Party of Azerbaijan in July 1969 as the First Secretary of the Central Committee of the Communist Party of Azerbaijan, Heydar Aliyev became the head of the republic. In December 1982, Heydar Aliyev was elected a member of Political Bureau of the Central Committee of the Communist Party of Soviet Union, and appointed to the post of the First Deputy Chairman of the Cabinet of Ministers of the USSR, and became one of the leaders of the USSR. During twenty years, Heydar Aliyev was the Deputy of the Supreme Soviet of the USSR and for five years was Deputy Chairman of the Supreme Soviet of the USSR.
In October 1987, Heydar Aliyev, as a sign of protest against the policy pursued by Political Bureau of the Central Committee of the Communist Party of the Soviet Union and personally the Secretary General Michael Gorbachev, resigned from his post.
In bound with the tragedy committed on 20 January 1990 in Baku by the soviet troops appearing in the next day at the Azerbaijan Representation in Moscow with a statement Heydar Aliyev demanded to punish the organizers and executors of the crime committed against the people of Azerbaijan. As a sign of protest against the hypocritical policy of leadership of the USSR, in connection with the critical conflict accrued in Daghlig Garabagh, in July 1991 he left the Communist Party of the Soviet Union.
By return in July 1990 to Azerbaijan, Heydar Aliyev lived in Baku, then in Nakhchivan, and in the same year was elected a deputy to the Supreme Soviet of Azerbaijan. In 1991-1993, he held the post of Chairman of the Supreme Assembly of the Autonomous Republic of Nakhchivan, Deputy Chairman of the Supreme Soviet of the Republic of Azerbaijan. In 1992, at the constituent congress of the New Azerbaijan Party in Nakhchivan, Heydar Aliyev was elected Chairman of the Party. In May-June 1993, when, as a result of extreme tension of the governmental crisis, the country was at the verge of civil war and loss of independence, the people of Azerbaijan demanded to bring to power Heydar Aliyev. The then leaders of Azerbaijan were obliged to officially invite Heydar Aliyev to Baku. On 15 June 1993, Heydar Aliyev was elected Chairman of the Supreme Soviet of Azerbaijan, and on 24 July - on resolution of the Milli Mejlis, he commenced to fulfill powers of the President of the Republic of Azerbaijan.
On October 3, 1993, as a result of nationwide voting, Heydar Aliyev was elected President of the Republic of Azerbaijan. On October 11, 1998, having garnered at the elections, passed in high activeness of the population, 76,1 percent of the votes, he was re-elected President of the Republic of Azerbaijan. Heydar Aliyev’s return to the country’s leadership was a turning point in the socio-political, economic, cultural-scientific life of the country and its international relations. He started the process of independent state building. The coup attempts were prevented in October, 1994 and March, 1995. The country’s foreign policy, relations with the leading countries and international organizations was developed on the basis of the national interests and far-sighted policy. The ceasefire was declared in the frontline in May, 1994. Oil agreement named as the “Contract of Century” was signed in Baku in September, 1994 and successful steps were taken for the transportation of Azerbaijani oil to the world market. Baku-Tbilisi-Supsa main export pipeline agreement was signed. On the initiative of Heydar Aliyev, Azerbaijan plays a leading role in the restoration of Great Silk Road – global communication program. Heydar Aliyev contributed to the union of regional forces and founding GUAM, which unites Georgia, Ukraine, Azerbaijan and Moldova. He pursued successive policy toward the democracy and legal state building and establishment of the principles of human rights and freedoms. The Constitution of Azerbaijan was adopted in November, 1995. The parliamentary elections were held in 1995 and 2000. The Constitutional Court was established, death sentence and press censorship were abolished in Azerbaijan. The country joined the Council of Europe on January 25, 2001.
Heydar Aliyev died on December 12, 2003.
Related news releases
- 19.07.2018Number of lawyers in Azerbaijan exceeds 1,500
- 18.07.2018President of Italy awarded Order of "Heydar Aliyev"
- 17.07.2018President allocates funding for renovation of Yanar Dag reserve
- 16.07.2018President Ilham Aliyev awards ANAMA employees
- 16.07.2018New deputy mayor of Baku appointed
- 14.07.2018Orders of police officers martyred in Ganja presented to family members
- 14.07.2018Population's income in Azerbaijan increases by 7.3%
- 13.07.2018President Ilham Aliyev posthumously awards police officers killed in Azerbaijan's Ganja
- 13.07.2018President Aliyev: Neither foreign nor internal forces can influence people-government unity in Azerbaijan
- 13.07.2018Ilham Aliyev: Criminals, their supporters will fail to achieve their insidious goals
- 13.07.2018President Ilham Aliyev chairs meeting of heads of Azerbaijan’s law enforcement bodies
- 13.07.2018Baku: Pashinyan, by talking about democracy, aims to legitimize his coming to power through coup d'état
- 13.07.2018Person accused of killing police officer in Azerbaijan’s Ganja eliminated
- 11.07.2018Azerbaijani president approves amendments to Migration Code
- 11.07.2018Ali Hasanov: Vulnerable situation in Ganja requires even greater unity of society around state
- 11.07.2018President Ilham Aliyev meets European Council president in Brussels
- 11.07.2018Attempts to create chaos in Azerbaijan don’t have any prospects – official
- 10.07.2018Deputy Chief of Ganja City Police Office and Nizami District Police Office martyred while preventing unrest - OFFİCİAL
- 10.07.2018President Ilham Aliyev awards employees of judicial authorities
- 10.07.2018Legal assessment to be given to activities of companies in connection with illegal production of non-ferrous metals in occupied territories of Azerbaijan
- 10.07.2018President Ilham Aliyev: "Azerbaijan is a very stable and strong country"
- 09.07.2018President of Azerbaijan: "We will fulfill all the tasks set in 2018"
- 09.07.2018President of Azerbaijan: "I hope that the new government of Armenia will not repeat the mistakes of the previous leadership"
- 09.07.2018A number of persons penalized for issuing illegal calls on social networking over power cut and assault on Ganja head of executive authority
- 09.07.201812 suspects detained over assault on Ganja’s head of executive authority
- 09.07.2018President Ilham Aliyev awards employees of diplomatic service agencies
- 08.07.2018President Ilham Aliyev chaired meeting of Cabinet of Ministers dedicated to results of socio-economic development in first half of 2018 and future objectives
- 07.07.2018Azerbaijan's new Deputy Minister of Emergency Situations appointed
- 06.07.2018Ilham Aliyev: Constitutional Court played important role in ensuring stability of Azerbaijan’s legal system
- 05.07.2018Azerbaijani President received WHO Director General - UPDATED
- 05.07.2018Interior Minister : "In connection with the lack of electricity, no serious crimes were committed"
- 04.07.2018Azerbaijani President: "Serious investigation into the situation in the energy system should be carried out, the perpetrators should be brought to justice"
- 04.07.2018Prosecutor General: "Criminal case was initiated in connection with the incident at Mingachevir TPS"
- 04.07.2018Azerbaijan’s Presidential Administration: Government capable of ensuring security of country and population
- 03.07.2018MES: Works to eliminate the accident underway, evacuation process goes on
- 02.07.2018Ilham Aliyev: Azerbaijani police should bring their activities in line with modern requirements
- 29.06.2018Azerbaijani president awards interior minister, first deputy interior minister
- 29.06.2018Azerbaijani parliament wraps up extraordinary session - UPDATED
- 28.06.2018US, Turkey can have 'more productive’ talk: Pompeo
- 27.06.2018Azerbaijan increases number of assistants to 1st vice-president
- 10.05.2018President Ilham Aliyev visits grave of national leader Heydar Aliyev
- 10.05.2018Azerbaijani Chamber of Accounts to present annual report in parliament
- 10.05.2018President Ilham Aliyev attends tree-planting campaign on occasion of national leader Heydar Aliyev’s birthday
- 09.05.2018President Ilham Aliyev attends ceremony to mark May 9 - Victory Day in Baku
- 09.05.2018Azerbaijan marks Day of Victory in Great Patriotic War
- 08.05.2018Karabakh conflict settlement discussed at EU-Azerbaijan Parliamentary Cooperation Committee meeting