Ilham Aliyev: For Azerbaijan, Islamic solidarity is not only an idea but also a priority
For Azerbaijan, Islamic solidarity is not only an idea but also a priority, said President of Azerbaijan Ilham Aliyev.
“We’re proud that one of the Islamic world’s oldest mosques is the Shamakhi Juma Mosque, which was renovated a few years ago,” said the president addressing an international conference, titled "2017- Year of Islamic Solidarity: Interfaith and Intercultural Dialogue", which kicked off in Baku on Dec. 21, APA reported.
The head of state noted that Azerbaijan has built close relations with Muslim countries and strengthened ties on bilateral and multilateral levels, as well as within international organizations.
“Ties with the Organization of Islamic Cooperation (OIC) have strengthened,” said President Aliyev, adding that a contact group on the Armenia-Azerbaijan Nagorno-Karabakh conflict was established and a decisive resolution on the conflict was passed at the OIC summit last year.
The head of state said that the Youth Forum of the Organization of Islamic Cooperation, the Labor Center and the Association of Journalists started operating on the initiative of Azerbaijan.
The president also hailed Azerbaijan’s successful activity within ISESCO as a member country.
“Several years ago ISESCO declared Baku the capital of Islamic culture, and next year this mission will be carried out by the ancient city of Nakhchivan,” he said.
President Aliyev stressed that Azerbaijan is striving to ensure unity and solidarity in the entire Muslim world, taking important steps in this direction.
“For Azerbaijan, Islamic solidarity is not only an idea but also a priority. Representatives of all nations and religions in Azerbaijan live as a family, and this is our great wealth,” he added.
Related news releases
- 21.04.2018Rovshan Rzayev appointed head of State Committee for Refugees and IDPs
- 21.04.2018Samir Nuriyev to head Azerbaijan’s State Committee for Urban Planning and Architecture
- 21.04.2018Inam Karimov appointed Azerbaijan’s minister of agriculture
- 21.04.2018No appointments for some posts in new gov’t, some officials remain in place - LIST
- 21.04.2018Novruz Mammadov relieved of his duties Assistant to the Azerbaijani President for Foreign Policy Issues – head of department
- 21.04.2018Abid Sharifov, Elchin Afandiyev, Ismat Abasov relieved of their duties
- 21.04.2018Sahil Babayev named Azerbaijan’s new minister of labor and social protection of population
- 21.04.2018President Aliyev approves new composition of Cabinet of Ministers
- 21.04.2018Hajibala Abutalibov relieved of his duties as Baku mayor
- 21.04.2018Organizations which fail to abide by rules during emergencies to be closed until the situation ends
- 21.04.2018President Ilham Aliyev appoints Novruz Mammadov as PM
- 21.04.2018Biography of Azerbaijan’s new Prime Minister Novruz Mammadov
- 21.04.2018Novruz Mammadov: I will do my best to fulfill tasks set by Azerbaijani president
- 21.04.2018Novruz Mammadov expresses gratitude to Azerbaijani president for confidence in him
- 21.04.2018Azerbaijani parliament approves Novruz Mammadov’s candidacy as new PM - UPDATED
- 21.04.2018Azerbaijani parliament considering Novruz Mammadov’s candidacy as new PM
- 21.04.2018President Aliyev expresses gratitude to Artur Rasizade for his activity as PM
- 21.04.2018President of the Council of State of the Republic of Cuba congratulates Ilham Aliyev
- 21.04.2018Total CEO congratulates Ilham Aliyev
- 20.04.2018Azerbaijan’s Ministry of Culture and Tourism divided into two structures
- 20.04.2018Ali Hasanov awarded Order "For Service to Motherland"
- 20.04.2018Azerbaijani parliament to consider approval of new PM on April 21 - UPDATED
- 19.04.2018NATO issues statement on Gerasimov-Scaparrotti meeting in Baku
- 19.04.2018Azerbaijani parliament to discuss ombudsperson's annual report on April 24
- 18.04.2018Azerbaijani president: Only countries with strong economy can pursue independent policy
- 18.04.2018President Aliyev: Fight against corruption and bribery will continue in Azerbaijan
- 18.04.2018President Aliyev: Efforts for democratic development in Azerbaijan to be intensified
- 18.04.2018Azerbaijani president: Armenian leadership fails to understand that destroyed mosques will live in our hearts
- 18.04.2018Ilham Aliyev: Anti-national groups that became increasingly active during election ‘already marginalized’
- 18.04.2018Issues raised by candidates during election will be carefully considered: Azerbaijani president
- 18.04.2018President Aliyev: Democratic development in Azerbaijan has been very rapid over last 15 years
- 18.04.2018Ilham Aliyev: Presidential election reflected Azerbaijani people’s will
- 18.04.2018Heads of religious confessions in Azerbaijan congratulate President Ilham Aliyev
- 18.04.2018President Ilham Aliyev signs order on execution of powers of government members
- 18.04.2018Cabinet of Ministers of Azerbaijan resigns
- 18.04.2018President Ilham Aliyev visits National Flag Square
- 18.04.2018President Ilham Aliyev pays respect to national leader Heydar Aliyev
- 18.04.2018Inauguration ceremony of Azerbaijani President Ilham Aliyev held - UPDATED
- 17.04.2018Date set for inauguration ceremony of Azerbaijani President Ilham Aliyev
- 17.04.2018Azerbaijani Constitutional Court confirms April 11 presidential election results - UPDATED
- 30.01.2007Azadliq bloc supports ADP’s decision on being constructive opposition
- 30.01.2007Azerbaijan and France sign 9 protocols
- 31.01.2007New website of Azerbaijani Parliament prepared
- 30.01.2007Serdar Jalaloglu to run for chairmanship
- 30.01.2007KFO urges Azerbaijani parliamentarians in PACE to diverge from contact with Armenian parliamentarians
- 30.01.2007ADP chairman: Recent decision of ADP Supreme Assembly is on paper only