Karabakh conflict settlement discussed at EU-Azerbaijan Parliamentary Cooperation Committee meeting
The process of negotiations on settlement of the Nagorno-Karabakh conflict was discussed at the second session of the 15th meeting of the EU-Azerbaijan Parliamentary Cooperation Committee in Baku on May 8, APA reports.
Addressing the meeting, Samad Seyidov, chairman of the Azerbaijani Parliament’s Committee on international and inter-parliamentary relations said that the Nagorno-Karabakh conflict poses a threat to entire Europe.
"However, we are unable to fulfill these resolutions. We must not allow double standards so that we can be a trustworthy partner. That’s what we are trying to achieve. We have also designated a special representative for the Nagorno-Karabakh conflict. We want to be active in resolving the conflict, which affects us as well. We understand that stability in the region is important and Azerbaijan is a key partner in maintaining stability in the South Caucasus region. As for the Minsk Group, Russia is a co-chair of the group” he said.
"You are saying that your resolutions impart a political message. However, the European Union imposes sanctions after these resolutions. Why are no sanctions imposed on Armenia? On the other hand, France and the United States are also co-chairmen of the Minsk Group along with Russia,” he said.
Javanshir Feyziyev, Azerbaijani MP, Co-Chair of the EU-Azerbaijan Parliamentary Cooperation Committee said that the Nagorno-Karabakh conflict has been going on for 30 years.
“People who were born during these 30 years in families of refugees and IDPs, have not yet been visited their native lands. We want acceptable peaceful path to be found for Azerbaijani and Armenian people. We are waiting for the support of the European Parliament in this direction. Azerbaijanis are impatiently watching the processes going on in Armenia. If these processes will help bring peace-loving forces to power in Armenia, peaceful negotiations can give results. If the conflict is not resolved peacefully, we will release our occupied lands by military means. Nobody doubts this in Azerbaijan. Perhaps, in Armenia, no one doubts this. This conflict also poses a threat to Europe,” he added.
Sajjad Karim, British MP, Chairman of the EU-Azerbaijan Parliamentary Cooperation Committee that the European Parliament has always demonstrated its formal position.
“We have always recognized Azerbaijan’s territorial integrity. Armenia must understand that when changing its position, it can participate in regional cooperation. We are following changes in Armenia. We will support dynamics ensuring stability in the region,” he noted.
Related news releases
- 21.05.2018Azerbaijani parliament to convene extraordinary meeting
- 21.05.2018PACE sanction on Samad Seyidov ‘unfair’: OSCE PA vice-president
- 18.05.2018New head of Naftalan City Executive Authority appointed
- 18.05.2018Hasan Hasanov: First state called Azerbaijan established 7th century BC, when there was no trace of Armenians - INTERVIEW
- 18.05.2018Samad Seyidov: PACE sanctions – result of double-standard attitude towards Azerbaijan
- 18.05.2018PACE decision directed against Azerbaijan’s economic development, says lawmaker
- 18.05.2018MP: Azerbaijan to continue its principled activity in PACE
- 18.05.2018Azerbaijani lawmakers slam PACE sanctions decision
- 18.05.2018President Ilham Aliyev inaugurates new administrative building of New Azerbaijan Party
- 17.05.2018Head of Binagadi District Executive Authority dismissed
- 16.05.2018Ilham Aliyev: Nakhchivan to escape from blockade once North-South Transport Corridor is ready
- 16.05.2018President Ilham Aliyev visits statue of national leader Heydar Aliyev in Nakhchivan
- 16.05.2018President Ilham Aliyev arrives in Nakhchivan
- 15.05.2018Azerbaijan Pardon Issues Commission holds another meeting
- 15.05.2018May 28 declared Azerbaijan National Day in capital of Mississipi
- 12.05.2018US to help North Korea's economy if it denuclearizes
- 11.05.2018Elchin Afandiyev awarded Shohrat Order
- 11.05.2018Rector of Azerbaijan State University of Culture and Arts removed from duty
- 11.05.2018President Ilham Aliyev appoints head of department for humanitarian policy issues at Presidential Administration
- 11.05.2018Rovshan Najaf appointed head of department at Azerbaijani Presidential Administration
- 11.05.2018Jewish community of Azerbaijan marks Day of Salvation and Liberation
- 11.05.2018President Ilham Aliyev: "Azerbaijan’s principled position on the Armenia-Azerbaijan Nagorno-Karabakh conflict remains unchanged"
- 11.05.2018Azerbaijani President: "If Heydar Aliyev was at that time in Azerbaijan, he would not have allowed the Karabakh conflict to begin"
- 10.05.2018President Ilham Aliyev attends solemn ceremony to mark 95th anniversary of national leader Heydar Aliyev
- 10.05.2018Exhibition titled “Heydar Aliyev: Personality, Mission, Heritage” opens in Baku
- 10.05.2018Parliament speaker: Heydar Aliyev always lived up to Azerbaijani people’s expectations and proved to be a true leader
- 10.05.2018Azerbaijani parliament holding special meeting
- 10.05.2018President Ilham Aliyev attends tree-planting campaign on occasion of national leader Heydar Aliyev’s birthday
- 10.05.2018Azerbaijani Chamber of Accounts to present annual report in parliament
- 10.05.2018President Ilham Aliyev visits grave of national leader Heydar Aliyev
- 07.05.2018Deputy PM comments on possible early parliamentary elections in Azerbaijan
- 07.05.2018Internal confrontation in Armenia to last long: Azerbaijan’s ruling party
- 07.05.2018New Azerbaijan Party holds event to mark 95th birth anniversary of national leader Heydar Aliyev
- 04.05.2018Turkish cargo vessel, Greek warship collide in Aegean
- 04.05.2018Ilham Aliyev: Economic development fully ensured in Azerbaijan
- 04.05.2018Azerbaijani parliament to convene special meeting
- 04.05.2018President Ilham Aliyev arrives in Khizi district
- 04.05.2018Gudrat Hasanguliyev: Salaries of MPs should be at least 8,000 manats
- 04.05.2018Azerbaijan’s national coordinator for combating human trafficking presenting annual report in parliament
- 04.05.2018Salaries of MPs, ombudsman and judges increased by 10% in Azerbaijan
- 09.05.2018Azerbaijan marks Day of Victory in Great Patriotic War
- 09.05.2018President Ilham Aliyev attends ceremony to mark May 9 - Victory Day in Baku
- 10.05.2018Azerbaijan marks 95th birthday anniversary of National Leader Heydar Aliyev
- 07.05.2018Prosecutor General's Office: Extradition of person inflicted injures to Supreme Rada MP to be considered
- 07.05.2018Sabuhi Shahverdiyev appointed prosecutor for Nakhchivan Autonomous Republic
- 07.05.2018Ali Hasanov: Azerbaijani legislation allows NGOs to operate freely