MP Seyidov: Attempts being made to drive Azerbaijan out of Council of Europe - UPDATED
Unlike previous sessions of the Parliamentary Assembly of the Council of Europe (PACE), the last one did not go that smoothly for Azerbaijan, not only because of the anti-Azerbaijani document, Samad Seyidov, MP, head of the Azerbaijani Delegation to PACE, said at a parliamentary meeting on Friday, APA reported.
Seyidov noted that the issue of Azerbaijan was discussed during the session, but also by committees and political parties.
“What it stems from remains mystery to us. Today there is such a tendency within the Council of Europe that they target a certain country and solve their own problems,” he added.
The MP said that despite all this, the Azerbaijani delegation represented the country with dignity.
“We did everything that depends on us with dignity. The question is that a few days of the PACE autumn session were devoted to Azerbaijan. Why was the issue related to Azerbaijan included in the session’s agenda? Unfortunately, even those who had not previously joined meetings took part in the discussions on anti-Azerbaijani resolutions,” he added.
The Council of Europe is an important body, a tribute for Azerbaijan, Seyidov said stressing that there are attempts to drive Azerbaijan out this organization.
The MP accused the Council of Europe Secretary General of attempting to pressure Azerbaijan turning the rule of law into an instrument.
“Even sensible people became their hostages. A group of people came under their influence during the adoption of anti-Azerbaijani resolutions,” he added.
As for the fact that a group of Turkish MPs voted for the anti-Azerbaijan resolutions, Seyidov underlined the need to analyze the relationship.
“If we see that along with deputies, other bodies are biased toward us, then we should demonstrate our position,” he said, adding. “No state can reconcile with such a biased attitude. The pressure is too great and is directed against the successful policy pursued by Azerbaijan. We must take this into account. However, our delegation will continue its work in PACE.”
Related news releases
- 18.11.2017President Ilham Aliyev awards several persons for their active role in Azerbaijan’s public-political life
- 18.11.2017President Ilham Aliyev confers honorary title ‘honored civil servant’ on two persons
- 17.11.2017MP Siyavush Novruzov: Musavat Party should not claim to be successor to the Musavat of ADR period
- 17.11.2017European Parliament unable to conceal coming under Armenian lobby’s influence, says Azerbaijani MP
- 17.11.2017Azerbaijan begins preparation for celebration of ADR centenary
- 17.11.2017Azerbaijan marks National Revival Day
- 16.11.2017"Learning to Learn" 2nd International Learning Conference underway in Baku - UPDATED
- 16.11.2017Ahliman Amiraslanov awarded 'Sharaf' order
- 16.11.2017President Ilham Aliyev arrives in Absheron district
- 15.11.2017Deputy Chairman of the Supreme Majlis of Nakhchivan AR dismissed
- 15.11.2017Azerbaijani parliament to discuss draft law on prevention of international crimes
- 15.11.2017Azerbaijan reveals rules for treatment of released drug addict prisoners
- 14.11.2017Ilham Aliyev: Stability will be lasting in Azerbaijan
- 14.11.2017Ilham Aliyev: Azerbaijan now stronger than ever
- 14.11.2017President: Establishment of YAP was a turning point in history of modern Azerbaijani statehood
- 14.11.2017New assistant of Azerbaijan's first VP appointed
- 14.11.2017President Ilham Aliyev attends solemn ceremony marking 25th anniversary of New Azerbaijan Party
- 13.11.2017Azerbaijan creates Food Security Institute
- 13.11.2017MP Hasanguliyev urges privatization of ‘Azerishig’ and ‘Azeristiliktechizat’
- 13.11.2017Arif Rahimzade: Local executive authorities restrict activities of municipalities
- 12.11.2017Azerbaijan marks Constitution Day
- 10.11.2017Azerbaijani president awards employees of Center for Strategic Studies
- 10.11.2017Ilham Aliyev: No financial problems in Azerbaijan
- 10.11.2017About 20 Azerbaijani children in Iraqi shelter to be repatriated soon – diplomat
- 10.11.2017President Ilham Aliyev arrives in Ganja city
- 09.11.2017Azerbaijan marks National Flag Day
- 08.11.2017Azerbaijani parliament’s plenary session rescheduled
- 08.11.2017Azerbaijani President approves the changes related to the activities of the institution of legal representation
- 06.11.2017US lifts visa restrictions on Turkey on 'limited basis'
- 06.11.2017President Ilham Aliyev views retro carriages of Baku Metro
- 03.11.2017Zeynal Naghdaliyev awarded Shohrat Order
- 03.11.2017Musavat Party stages rally outside Baku Mayor's Office
- 28.10.2017Azerbaijani President awards Musa Gasimli with order
- 28.10.2017Azerbaijani President awards Hadi Rajabli with order
- 28.10.2017National Council holds rally
- 27.10.2017Amendments to draft law on institution of legal representation in Azerbaijani courts revealed
- 27.10.2017Minister of Emergency Situations Kamaladdin Heydarov receives citizens in Shabran
- 26.10.2017Mubariz Gurbanli: Azerbaijan’s steps against religious extremists – signal to their financial backers
- 25.10.2017Azerbaijan eyes to prohibit presence of representatives in trials
- 25.10.2017Baku Mayor's Office approves National Council’s request for rally
- 20.10.2017Azerbaijani MPs voice protest over PACE’s anti-Azerbaijan resolutions
- 20.10.2017Azerbaijani parliament approves amendments on humanization of penalties
- 22.10.2017Gunmen kill 13 Niger gendarmes in attack near Mali border
- 20.10.2017Azerbaijani parliament holds plenary meeting
- 19.10.2017Musavat Party postpones rally scheduled for Oct. 21
- 19.10.2017Azerbaijan considers fining officials failing to control execution of public works and administrative penalties