MP: 618 convicts released from unserved part of prison sentence in Azerbaijan over last six months - EXCLUSIVE
A number of measures aimed at decriminalizing crimes and liberalizing criminal law policy have been taken regarding the execution of the Azerbaijani President’s Order “On improving work in the penitentiary system, humanization of the punishment policy and expansion of alternative punishments and procedural enforcement measures not associated with isolation from society,” Ali Huseynli, MP, Chairman of the parliament’s Committee on Legal Policy and State Building told APA.
Huseynli said that nearly 300 amendments have been made to the Criminal Code, 15 crimes have been decriminalized, and the criminal responsibility for three types of crimes has been increased fivefold by the law adopted in this regard.
In addition, there was a reduction in the sentence in the form of deprivation of liberty, envisaged by sanction for 36 crimes, the committee chairman noted.
“In 52 cases, charges were dropped on conditions of reconciliation with victims, compensation for damages, and payment to the state budget (one- or two-fold of the cost of the damage caused). Upon the imposition of this law, the cases involving 6,000 people were considered in courts from December 1, 2017 to May 30, 2018,” he said.
Huseynli went on to say: “Of them, 601 people were exempt from criminal liability, 618 from custodial sentences, and 885 from non-custodial sentences. Moreover, 1,662 had their prison sentence shortened, and 204 prisoners received less strict detention conditions. There are up to 700 cases currently being considered in courts. It is likely that the imposition of this law will result in additional hundreds of prisoners enjoying exemption from criminal responsibility or penalty, and less strict prison conditions for hundreds more.”
The committee chairman noted that over the past year the number of prisoners in Azerbaijan dropped by 24 percent compared to previous years and the number of motions for extending the term of arrest fell by 33 percent.
On 24 May 2018, President Ilham Aliyev signed an order pardoning 634 people on the occasion of the centenary of the Azerbaijan Democratic Republic, said the MP.
“Of them, 607 convicts were released from the unserved part of their prison sentence, which reflects the president’s humanism,” he added.
Huseynli stressed that the application of the law on humanization of punishments is a process at the amnesty level.
"When passing laws on amnesty the figures were also similar to this. Thus, it is possible to say unequivocally that according to last year’s presidential order, the situation with implementing the law is approximately equivalent to the implementation of the law on amnesty,” he said.
Related news releases
- 20.06.2018Azerbaijani parl’t sets date for last meeting of extraordinary session
- 19.06.2018Pompeo says Trump agreed to 'alter' Korea armistice
- 15.06.2018Azerbaijan marks National Salvation Day
- 14.06.2018Ali Ahmadov: Our opponents avoid face-to-face meetings in open political arena, indecently behave in social networks
- 14.06.2018New Azerbaijan Party marks National Salvation Day
- 14.06.2018Members of Azerbaijan Elders’ Council visit grave of national leader Heydar Aliyev
- 13.06.2018President Ilham Aliyev congratulates Azerbaijani people on Eid al-Fitr
- 12.06.2018U.S. embassy presents awards to winners of Earth day art competition
- 12.06.2018Slaughterhouses meeting sanitary and hygienic standards to be created in Azerbaijan
- 11.06.2018MP Yevda Abramov awarded “Shohrat” Order
- 07.06.2018Head of Azerbaijan’s Tovuz district executive authority dismissed
- 06.06.2018Pre-election campaign of Caspian European Club starts
- 06.06.2018Head of Aghdam district executive authority dismissed
- 28.05.2018President Ilham Aliyev: Period of APF-Musavat authority is a black stain in our history, years of shame
- 28.05.2018Head of state: Ability to influence our policy from outside is equal to zero
- 28.05.2018Azerbaijani president: Economy has increased 3.2 times
- 28.05.2018Azerbaijani President: We made dreams of founders of Azerbaijan People’s Republic come true
- 28.05.2018President Aliyev: Azerbaijani people can rightly be proud of establishment of first democratic republic in Muslim East
- 28.05.2018President Ilham Aliyev attends official reception on centennial of Azerbaijan Democratic Republic
- 28.05.2018President Ilham Aliyev visits monument to Azerbaijan Democratic Republic
- 28.05.2018Today marks 100th anniversary of Azerbaijan Democratic Republic
- 27.05.2018President Ilham Aliyev: "The interests of the Azerbaijani people are above all for us"
- 25.05.2018MP Elmira Akhundova awarded title of “People’s Writer”
- 25.05.2018Fattah Heydarov: Having failed to reach his ambitions, Rustam Ibrahimbeyov degrading his own people
- 24.05.2018Azerbaijani parliament to hold special session in autumn to mark its centenary
- 24.05.2018National flag once hung in parliament of Azerbaijan Democratic Republic presented to government
- 22.05.2018Azerbaijani parliament announces agenda for final plenary meeting in spring session
- 21.05.2018Azerbaijani president confers “People’s Artist” title on Yusif Eyvazov
- 21.05.2018Azerbaijani parliament to convene extraordinary meeting
- 21.05.2018PACE sanction on Samad Seyidov ‘unfair’: OSCE PA vice-president
- 18.05.2018New head of Naftalan City Executive Authority appointed
- 18.05.2018Hasan Hasanov: First state called Azerbaijan established 7th century BC, when there was no trace of Armenians - INTERVIEW
- 18.05.2018Samad Seyidov: PACE sanctions – result of double-standard attitude towards Azerbaijan
- 18.05.2018PACE decision directed against Azerbaijan’s economic development, says lawmaker
- 18.05.2018MP: Azerbaijan to continue its principled activity in PACE
- 18.05.2018Azerbaijani lawmakers slam PACE sanctions decision
- 18.05.2018President Ilham Aliyev inaugurates new administrative building of New Azerbaijan Party
- 17.05.2018Head of Binagadi District Executive Authority dismissed
- 16.05.2018Ilham Aliyev: Nakhchivan to escape from blockade once North-South Transport Corridor is ready
- 16.05.2018President Ilham Aliyev visits statue of national leader Heydar Aliyev in Nakhchivan
- 01.06.2018Head of Gadabay District Executive Authority dismissed
- 05.06.2018Azerbaijan to amend law on border troops
- 06.06.2018New head of Binagadi executive authority appointed
- 31.05.2018Azerbaijani parliament ends spring session - UPDATED
- 29.05.2018GISDI releases final report on April 11 presidential election in Azerbaijan
- 28.05.2018President Ilham Aliyev attended concert dedicated to centennial of Azerbaijan Democratic Republic