Parliament speaker: Heydar Aliyev always lived up to Azerbaijani people’s expectations and proved to be a true leader
He made the remarks on Thursday at a special parliamentary meeting dedicated to the 95th birthday anniversary of national leader Heydar Aliyev, APA reports.
Heydar Aliyev always lived up to the Azerbaijan people's expectations and proved to be a true leader, noted the speaker.
"Despite having been the least developed country during the USSR period, Azerbaijan rapidly developed under the leadership of Heydar Aliyev. Thanks to Heydar Aliyev, the Azerbaijani language became the official language according to the Constitution. Our young people were sent to higher education in different cities of the USSR. Heydar Aliyev did a lot for Azerbaijan while working at the USSR Cabinet of Ministers. It was not until Heydar Aliyev was removed from leadership in the Soviet Union in October 1987 that tragedies began to befall Azerbaijan," he said.
Asadov said that in the early 1990s the independence of Azerbaijan was threatened because of the then-government’s incompetence.
"Although it was not possible to maintain the independence of the Azerbaijan Democratic Republic, Azerbaijan did manage to protect its second independence thanks to Heydar Aliyev, who was elected chairman of the Supreme Soviet on 15 June 1993 and made key decisions for the country's socio-political life. The first step in Heydar Aliyev's savory mission was to prevent the country from division. Our National Army was strengthened and it became clear that Azerbaijan could no longer be dealt with by military force. That’s when the ceasefire agreement was signed,” the parliamentary speaker added.
He emphasized that the signing of the Contract of the Century and the construction of oil pipelines eliminated economic recession in the country.
The speaker recalled that the Constitution of Azerbaijan was adopted in 1995. "The death penalty was abolished for the first time in the East. At the same time, conditions were created for political parties to operate, and Azerbaijanism became a national ideology. Diaspora organizations were established in various countries,” he said.
The parliament speaker stressed that Heydar Aliyev’s merits to the Azerbaijani people are indispensable and unforgettable.
"Under the leadership of President Ilham Aliyev, Azerbaijan today has a say in the region and in the world. As the head of state said, today Azerbaijan pursues an independent policy and relies on only the Azerbaijani people," he said.
He said that the parliament is the body which protects the sovereign rights of the people in modern Azerbaijan.
"The development strategy, passed on by Heydar Aliyev, will play a key role in further well-being of our people under the leadership of President Ilham Aliyev,” he added.
Related news releases
- 21.05.2018Azerbaijani parliament to convene extraordinary meeting
- 21.05.2018PACE sanction on Samad Seyidov ‘unfair’: OSCE PA vice-president
- 18.05.2018New head of Naftalan City Executive Authority appointed
- 18.05.2018Hasan Hasanov: First state called Azerbaijan established 7th century BC, when there was no trace of Armenians - INTERVIEW
- 18.05.2018Samad Seyidov: PACE sanctions – result of double-standard attitude towards Azerbaijan
- 18.05.2018PACE decision directed against Azerbaijan’s economic development, says lawmaker
- 18.05.2018MP: Azerbaijan to continue its principled activity in PACE
- 18.05.2018Azerbaijani lawmakers slam PACE sanctions decision
- 18.05.2018President Ilham Aliyev inaugurates new administrative building of New Azerbaijan Party
- 17.05.2018Head of Binagadi District Executive Authority dismissed
- 16.05.2018Ilham Aliyev: Nakhchivan to escape from blockade once North-South Transport Corridor is ready
- 16.05.2018President Ilham Aliyev visits statue of national leader Heydar Aliyev in Nakhchivan
- 16.05.2018President Ilham Aliyev arrives in Nakhchivan
- 15.05.2018Azerbaijan Pardon Issues Commission holds another meeting
- 15.05.2018May 28 declared Azerbaijan National Day in capital of Mississipi
- 12.05.2018US to help North Korea's economy if it denuclearizes
- 11.05.2018Elchin Afandiyev awarded Shohrat Order
- 11.05.2018Rector of Azerbaijan State University of Culture and Arts removed from duty
- 11.05.2018President Ilham Aliyev appoints head of department for humanitarian policy issues at Presidential Administration
- 11.05.2018Rovshan Najaf appointed head of department at Azerbaijani Presidential Administration
- 11.05.2018Jewish community of Azerbaijan marks Day of Salvation and Liberation
- 11.05.2018President Ilham Aliyev: "Azerbaijan’s principled position on the Armenia-Azerbaijan Nagorno-Karabakh conflict remains unchanged"
- 10.05.2018President Ilham Aliyev visits grave of national leader Heydar Aliyev
- 10.05.2018Azerbaijan marks 95th birthday anniversary of National Leader Heydar Aliyev
- 09.05.2018President Ilham Aliyev attends ceremony to mark May 9 - Victory Day in Baku
- 09.05.2018Azerbaijan marks Day of Victory in Great Patriotic War
- 08.05.2018Karabakh conflict settlement discussed at EU-Azerbaijan Parliamentary Cooperation Committee meeting
- 07.05.2018Prosecutor General's Office: Extradition of person inflicted injures to Supreme Rada MP to be considered
- 07.05.2018Sabuhi Shahverdiyev appointed prosecutor for Nakhchivan Autonomous Republic
- 07.05.2018Ali Hasanov: Azerbaijani legislation allows NGOs to operate freely
- 07.05.2018Deputy PM comments on possible early parliamentary elections in Azerbaijan
- 07.05.2018Internal confrontation in Armenia to last long: Azerbaijan’s ruling party
- 07.05.2018New Azerbaijan Party holds event to mark 95th birth anniversary of national leader Heydar Aliyev
- 04.05.2018Turkish cargo vessel, Greek warship collide in Aegean
- 04.05.2018Ilham Aliyev: Economic development fully ensured in Azerbaijan
- 04.05.2018Azerbaijani parliament to convene special meeting
- 04.05.2018President Ilham Aliyev arrives in Khizi district
- 04.05.2018Gudrat Hasanguliyev: Salaries of MPs should be at least 8,000 manats
- 04.05.2018Azerbaijan’s national coordinator for combating human trafficking presenting annual report in parliament
- 04.05.2018Salaries of MPs, ombudsman and judges increased by 10% in Azerbaijan
- 10.05.2018Exhibition titled “Heydar Aliyev: Personality, Mission, Heritage” opens in Baku
- 10.05.2018President Ilham Aliyev attends solemn ceremony to mark 95th anniversary of national leader Heydar Aliyev
- 11.05.2018Azerbaijani President: "If Heydar Aliyev was at that time in Azerbaijan, he would not have allowed the Karabakh conflict to begin"
- 10.05.2018Azerbaijani parliament holding special meeting
- 10.05.2018President Ilham Aliyev attends tree-planting campaign on occasion of national leader Heydar Aliyev’s birthday
- 10.05.2018Azerbaijani Chamber of Accounts to present annual report in parliament