Parliament speaker: Heydar Aliyev always lived up to Azerbaijani people’s expectations and proved to be a true leader
He made the remarks on Thursday at a special parliamentary meeting dedicated to the 95th birthday anniversary of national leader Heydar Aliyev, APA reports.
Heydar Aliyev always lived up to the Azerbaijan people's expectations and proved to be a true leader, noted the speaker.
"Despite having been the least developed country during the USSR period, Azerbaijan rapidly developed under the leadership of Heydar Aliyev. Thanks to Heydar Aliyev, the Azerbaijani language became the official language according to the Constitution. Our young people were sent to higher education in different cities of the USSR. Heydar Aliyev did a lot for Azerbaijan while working at the USSR Cabinet of Ministers. It was not until Heydar Aliyev was removed from leadership in the Soviet Union in October 1987 that tragedies began to befall Azerbaijan," he said.
Asadov said that in the early 1990s the independence of Azerbaijan was threatened because of the then-government’s incompetence.
"Although it was not possible to maintain the independence of the Azerbaijan Democratic Republic, Azerbaijan did manage to protect its second independence thanks to Heydar Aliyev, who was elected chairman of the Supreme Soviet on 15 June 1993 and made key decisions for the country's socio-political life. The first step in Heydar Aliyev's savory mission was to prevent the country from division. Our National Army was strengthened and it became clear that Azerbaijan could no longer be dealt with by military force. That’s when the ceasefire agreement was signed,” the parliamentary speaker added.
He emphasized that the signing of the Contract of the Century and the construction of oil pipelines eliminated economic recession in the country.
The speaker recalled that the Constitution of Azerbaijan was adopted in 1995. "The death penalty was abolished for the first time in the East. At the same time, conditions were created for political parties to operate, and Azerbaijanism became a national ideology. Diaspora organizations were established in various countries,” he said.
The parliament speaker stressed that Heydar Aliyev’s merits to the Azerbaijani people are indispensable and unforgettable.
"Under the leadership of President Ilham Aliyev, Azerbaijan today has a say in the region and in the world. As the head of state said, today Azerbaijan pursues an independent policy and relies on only the Azerbaijani people," he said.
He said that the parliament is the body which protects the sovereign rights of the people in modern Azerbaijan.
"The development strategy, passed on by Heydar Aliyev, will play a key role in further well-being of our people under the leadership of President Ilham Aliyev,” he added.
Related news releases
- 19.07.2018Number of lawyers in Azerbaijan exceeds 1,500
- 18.07.2018President of Italy awarded Order of "Heydar Aliyev"
- 17.07.2018President allocates funding for renovation of Yanar Dag reserve
- 16.07.2018President Ilham Aliyev awards ANAMA employees
- 16.07.2018New deputy mayor of Baku appointed
- 14.07.2018Orders of police officers martyred in Ganja presented to family members
- 14.07.2018Population's income in Azerbaijan increases by 7.3%
- 13.07.2018President Ilham Aliyev posthumously awards police officers killed in Azerbaijan's Ganja
- 13.07.2018President Aliyev: Neither foreign nor internal forces can influence people-government unity in Azerbaijan
- 13.07.2018Ilham Aliyev: Criminals, their supporters will fail to achieve their insidious goals
- 13.07.2018President Ilham Aliyev chairs meeting of heads of Azerbaijan’s law enforcement bodies
- 13.07.2018Baku: Pashinyan, by talking about democracy, aims to legitimize his coming to power through coup d'état
- 13.07.2018Person accused of killing police officer in Azerbaijan’s Ganja eliminated
- 11.07.2018Azerbaijani president approves amendments to Migration Code
- 11.07.2018Ali Hasanov: Vulnerable situation in Ganja requires even greater unity of society around state
- 11.07.2018President Ilham Aliyev meets European Council president in Brussels
- 11.07.2018Attempts to create chaos in Azerbaijan don’t have any prospects – official
- 10.07.2018Deputy Chief of Ganja City Police Office and Nizami District Police Office martyred while preventing unrest - OFFİCİAL
- 10.07.2018President Ilham Aliyev awards employees of judicial authorities
- 10.07.2018Legal assessment to be given to activities of companies in connection with illegal production of non-ferrous metals in occupied territories of Azerbaijan
- 10.07.2018President Ilham Aliyev: "Azerbaijan is a very stable and strong country"
- 09.07.2018President of Azerbaijan: "We will fulfill all the tasks set in 2018"
- 09.07.2018President of Azerbaijan: "I hope that the new government of Armenia will not repeat the mistakes of the previous leadership"
- 09.07.2018A number of persons penalized for issuing illegal calls on social networking over power cut and assault on Ganja head of executive authority
- 09.07.201812 suspects detained over assault on Ganja’s head of executive authority
- 09.07.2018President Ilham Aliyev awards employees of diplomatic service agencies
- 08.07.2018President Ilham Aliyev chaired meeting of Cabinet of Ministers dedicated to results of socio-economic development in first half of 2018 and future objectives
- 07.07.2018Azerbaijan's new Deputy Minister of Emergency Situations appointed
- 06.07.2018Ilham Aliyev: Constitutional Court played important role in ensuring stability of Azerbaijan’s legal system
- 05.07.2018Azerbaijani President received WHO Director General - UPDATED
- 05.07.2018Interior Minister : "In connection with the lack of electricity, no serious crimes were committed"
- 04.07.2018Azerbaijani President: "Serious investigation into the situation in the energy system should be carried out, the perpetrators should be brought to justice"
- 04.07.2018Prosecutor General: "Criminal case was initiated in connection with the incident at Mingachevir TPS"
- 04.07.2018Azerbaijan’s Presidential Administration: Government capable of ensuring security of country and population
- 03.07.2018MES: Works to eliminate the accident underway, evacuation process goes on
- 02.07.2018Ilham Aliyev: Azerbaijani police should bring their activities in line with modern requirements
- 29.06.2018Azerbaijani president awards interior minister, first deputy interior minister
- 29.06.2018Azerbaijani parliament wraps up extraordinary session - UPDATED
- 28.06.2018US, Turkey can have 'more productive’ talk: Pompeo
- 27.06.2018Azerbaijan increases number of assistants to 1st vice-president
- 10.05.2018Exhibition titled “Heydar Aliyev: Personality, Mission, Heritage” opens in Baku
- 10.05.2018President Ilham Aliyev attends solemn ceremony to mark 95th anniversary of national leader Heydar Aliyev
- 11.05.2018Azerbaijani President: "If Heydar Aliyev was at that time in Azerbaijan, he would not have allowed the Karabakh conflict to begin"
- 10.05.2018Azerbaijani parliament holding special meeting
- 10.05.2018President Ilham Aliyev attends tree-planting campaign on occasion of national leader Heydar Aliyev’s birthday
- 10.05.2018Azerbaijani Chamber of Accounts to present annual report in parliament