President: Establishment of YAP was a turning point in history of modern Azerbaijani statehood
The establishment of the New Azerbaijan Party (YAP) was a turning point in the history of modern Azerbaijani statehood, said President Ilham Aliyev.
The president made the remarks at a solemn ceremony held on Tuesday to mark the 25th anniversary of the founding of YAP, APA reported.
“Twenty-five years ago, 91 patriotic people appealed to national leader Heydar Aliyev to undertake the mission of creating the party,” he said.
The head of state reminded that the conference for the party’s establishment was chaired by Heydar Aliyev himself in Nakhchivan.
"It was a great historic event. At that time, the APF-Musavat couple did not allow the conference to be held in Baku. More than 500 delegates from different parts of the country came to Nakhchivan to attend the conference. That was a turning point in the history of modern Azerbaijani statehood,” noted President Aliyev.
The president also underlined Heydar Aliyev's service to the people of Azerbaijan at all times, saying that during the national leader’s reign, the country developed comprehensively.
"In the early 1990s, the government in Azerbaijan had lost the people’s confidence and the country was virtually in mischief. The chaos and anarchy was raging throughout the country, with bribery commonplace. Our lands had been occupied. There were economic and industrial crises. All this was posing an impending threat to Azerbaijan. The people appealed to Heydar Aliyev and the establishment of the New Azerbaijan Party became a necessity. The creation of the party opened the way for Azerbaijan to gain independence. Today YAP has some 700,000 people in its ranks,” added Ilham Aliyev.
Related news releases
- 17.01.2018Isa Gambar to stay under medical supervision for a time, cardiologist says
- 13.01.2018Isa Gambar hospitalized for heart problem
- 13.01.2018Office of OSCE Representative on Freedom of Media should avoid taking tendentious approach toward Azerbaijan
- 12.01.2018Azerbaijani ombudsperson issues statement on 28th anniversary of January tragedy
- 11.01.2018Draft law on implementation by Azerbaijan of int'l organizations’ decisions to be tabled in parliament again
- 10.01.2018President Ilham Aliyev signs order to declare 2018 ‘Year of Azerbaijan Democratic Republic’ - UPDATED
- 10.01.2018Azerbaijani president announces 2017 economic indicators
- 10.01.2018Ilham Aliyev: Azerbaijan witnessed successful, rapid development in 2017
- 10.01.2018President Ilham Aliyev declares 2018 ‘Year of Azerbaijan Democratic Republic’
- 10.01.2018Grandson of famous Azerbaijani intellectual Ahmed bey Agaoglu passes away
- 08.01.2018Azerbaijani parliament denies reports of increase in MP salaries
- 04.01.2018President Ilham Aliyev extends Christmas congratulations to Azerbaijan’s Orthodox Christian community
- 04.01.2018Azerbaijani parliament not to discuss issue of electing new ombudsperson during spring session
- 04.01.2018Azerbaijan approves plan of events to commemorate 28th anniversary of 20 January tragedy
- 02.01.2018The Azerbaijani MFA expresses its attitude towards the events in Iran
- 02.01.2018Date set for Azerbaijani parliament’s first plenary meeting in 2018
- 01.01.2018Congratulatory address of Ilham Aliyev to the people of Azerbaijan on the occasion of the Day of Solidarity of World Azerbaijanis and New Year
- 29.12.2017Azerbaijani parliament wraps up last plenary meeting in 2017
- 29.12.2017Azerbaijani Parliament to mark 100th anniversary
- 28.12.2017Two more issues included in agenda of Azerbaijani parliament's last session for 2017
- 27.12.2017Rafael Gvaladze awarded honorary diploma of Azerbaijani President
- 25.12.2017President Ilham Aliyev signs order to increase minimum wage
- 25.12.2017President Ilham Aliyev extends congratulations on Day of Solidarity of World Azerbaijanis
- 24.12.2017Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan phoned President Ilham Aliyev
- 24.12.2017Azerbaijani journalists extend birthday congratulations to President Ilham Aliyev - VIDEO
- 24.12.2017President Ilham Aliyev attended groundbreaking ceremony of first building in MIDA Hovsan residential complex
- 24.12.2017Azerbaijani President Ilham Aliyev turns 56 today
- 23.12.2017India intends to cooperate with Azerbaijan on space
- 23.12.2017New Azerbaijan Party holds conference titled 'At the junction of East and West: New Energy and Communication Opportunities' - UPDATED
- 23.12.2017New excise rates set for goods imported to Azerbaijan
- 22.12.2017Procedure for calculation of old-age labor pensions in Azerbaijan announced
- 21.12.2017Ilham Aliyev: No problem in Azerbaijan on religious and national grounds
- 21.12.2017Ilham Aliyev: For Azerbaijan, Islamic solidarity is not only an idea but also a priority
- 21.12.2017Azerbaijani to hold presidential election on 17 October 2018
- 21.12.2017President Ilham Aliyev attends int’l conference dedicated to Year of Islamic Solidarity
- 20.12.2017Survey: 85.2% of respondents will vote for President Ilham Aliyev
- 20.12.2017Georgia to pay special attention to teaching state language in regions with ethnic minorities
- 16.12.2017Azerbaijani First Vice-President Mehriban Aliyeva awarded high order of Russian Orthodox Church
- 15.12.2017President Ilham Aliyev awards employees of Emergency Situations Ministry
- 15.12.2017Details emerge of CEC’s empowerment to strip an MP of mandate for ethics violations
- 21.02.2007Deputy Commanding General, U.S. Marine Corps Forces Europe visits Azerbaijan
- 21.02.2007Roundtable on International Mother Language Day held
- 21.02.2007Iraqi Turkmen Front leader Sadeddin Ergec to visit Azerbaijan
- 21.02.2007Central Election Commission chief to visit UK
- 21.02.2007Azerbaijani culture days to be held in Komi
- 21.02.2007Azerbaijani and Georgian Foreign Ministers have phone talk