ACRE staff member asks Baku not to blacklist him for visiting occupied lands
Themistoklis Asthenidis, staff member of the Alliance of Conservatives and Reformists in Europe- ACRE, who illegally visited our occupied territories, addressed an official letter to the Embassy of the Republic of Azerbaijan to the Kingdom of Belgium asking not to be included in the “List of foreign citizens who illegally visited to the occupied territories of the Republic of Azerbaijan”.
In the letter Themistoklis Asthenidis noted that he paid a visit to Armenia as a part of the official delegation to Yerevan in December 2017, where ACRE event took place and admitted that he visited the occupied territories without prior notice, the Foreign Ministry told APA.
In the letter he states: “As part of our visit in Armenia, our local partner has organized a series of tourist activities for members of our delegation. Prior to our departure for the activities on the day, I was absolutely unaware of the intention of our local partner to also take me to the occupied territories of Nagorno-Karabakh, as the specifics of the visit were intentionally unclear at the time of departure and I recognize have been retrospectively misleading”.
In his letter Asthenidis reaffirmed his full respect to the territorial integrity and sovereignty of the Republic of Azerbaijan and of Nagorno-Karabakh as an integral part of Azerbaijan, noting that his visit does not constitute any recognition of the illegal occupation of our territories, and stressed that as a professional lawyer, he is very well aware of the legal and political sensitivities around the issue of our occupied territories.
He expressed his sincere regrets for this action and asked for permission to visit Baku in June of this year.
The appeal by Asthenidis was in a due manner considered and the decision was taken not to add his name into the “List of Foreign citizens illegally visited to occupied territories of the Republic of Azerbaijan”.
Related news releases
- 19.05.2018Poroshenko signs decree on recalling Ukraine’s representatives from CIS statutory bodies
- 19.05.2018Elmar Mammadyarov: "Azerbaijan remains ready to contribute to the just solution of the Palestinian issue"
- 18.05.2018Azerbaijan’s First Vice-President meets with UNESCO Director General in Paris
- 18.05.2018Mehriban Aliyev attends conference on 80th birthday of Koïchiro Matsuura in Paris
- 18.05.2018Azerbaijani, Kyrgyz presidents hold phone talk
- 18.05.2018Baku to convey serious protest to Russian Foreign Ministry
- 16.05.2018Head of delegation: No one will accept such Council of Europe
- 16.05.2018President Ilham Aliyev sends congratulatory letter to King of Norway
- 16.05.2018Samad Seyidov: I’ve been interrogated for 3 hours
- 16.05.2018Samad Seyidov: Those who face sanctions in PACE are the ones who support Azerbaijan’s territorial integrity
- 16.05.2018Head of delegation: Azerbaijan to continue activity in PACE
- 16.05.2018Samad Seyidov: PACE decision – a manifestation of double standard attitude towards Azerbaijan
- 16.05.2018Jamewstown Foundation president: BTK to carry military cargo, Turkey gives initial consent
- 16.05.2018Final declaration of PABSEC Istanbul summit does not include paragraph on al-Quds
- 16.05.2018PACE committee imposes sanction on Azerbaijani MP Samad Seyidov
- 16.05.2018Russia says concerned over 'dangerous escalation' in Gaza
- 16.05.2018What points does report of Independent Investigation Body on allegations of corruption within PACE highlight? - OPINION
- 16.05.2018Israeli ambassador: Peace will not be attainable as long as Palestinians refuse to recognize Jewish people as a nation - INTERVIEW
- 16.05.2018Azerbaijan names new deputy foreign minister
- 15.05.2018Palestinian ambassador: Trump ‘added fuel to the fire’ - INTERVIEW
- 11.05.2018Santa Fe proclaims May 28 as ‘Azerbaijan National Day’
- 10.05.2018Azerbaijan says intends to intensify border delimitation talks with Georgia
- 10.05.2018Deputy FM: Demarcation work between Azerbaijan, Russia to continue for 3-4 years
- 10.05.2018Working group on Caspian legal status to meet prior to Astana summit
- 10.05.2018Ali Hasanov comments on Helsinki Commission hearings on Azerbaijan
- 10.05.2018Russian diplomat: Convention on Caspian Sea’s legal status may be signed at Astana summit
- 09.05.2018Governor of U.S. State of Nevada honors 100th anniversary of Azerbaijan Democratic Republic
- 08.05.2018Putin sends congratulatory letter to President Ilham Aliyev
- 08.05.2018Content of joint statement of EU-Azerbaijan Parliamentary Cooperation Committee publicized
- 08.05.2018Sajjad Karim: Joint statement of EU-Azerbaijan Parliamentary Cooperation Committee meeting supports co-op
- 08.05.2018EU-Azerbaijan Parliamentary Cooperation Committee adopts joint statement
- 08.05.2018Ambassador: European companies engaged in extracting gold in occupied Azerbaijani lands
- 08.05.2018EU does not import any goods or services from Nagorno-Karabakh: EU official
- 08.05.2018Bayram Safarov: Armenia busy with its own problems
- 08.05.2018Azerbaijan calls on EU to prevent activities of legal entities and individuals in occupied Azerbaijani lands
- 08.05.2018Azerbaijan’s Foreign Ministry issues statement on occupation of Shusha
- 08.05.2018Ziyafat Asgarov: Armenia should abandon its occupation policy
- 08.05.2018MFA: Azerbaijan expects EU’s unambiguous position on its territorial integrity
- 08.05.2018Charity event dedicated to 95th birthday anniversary of Azerbaijan’s National Leader Heydar Aliyev held in Los Angeles
- 07.05.2018Luc Devigne: EU ready to help Azerbaijan become transport hub and diversify its economy
- 14.05.2018President Aliyev congratulates Malaysian PM
- 14.05.2018Elmar Mammadyarov met with the EU High Representative
- 15.05.2018Ilham Aliyev receives former president of Dutch Senate - UPDATED
- 13.05.2018Foreign Minister Elmar Mammadyarov departed to Belgium to attend the international conference on the victims of ethnic and religious violence in the Middle East
- 12.05.2018May 28 declared Azerbaijan National Day in Pennsylvania
- 11.05.2018Illegal “charter” signed between France’s Alfortville and Armenian-occupied Lachin city of Azerbaijan annulled