Ali Hasanov comments on Helsinki Commission hearings on Azerbaijan
On May 9, the U.S. Helsinki Commission, characterized by its “special interest” in Azerbaijan, held regular hearings regarding the election and fundamental freedoms in the country, Azerbaijani President’s Assistant for Public and Political Affairs Ali Hasanov said in his Facebook page on May 10.
“I’d like to remind that back in December 2016, chairman of this Commission, Congressman Chris Smith put forward a bill providing for harsh sanctions against Azerbaijan,” Ali Hasanov said. “The provisions of this draft law were aimed at seriously undermining the US-Azerbaijani relations in the economic, political and military spheres. This is the very Smith, who for a long time has shown special zeal for the U.S. government to recognize the so-called "Armenian genocide".”
According to the presidential assistant, it is no coincidence that these hearings have also been arranged by the commission [Chris Smith] is in charge of.
"The event was attended by people who closely watched the processes in our country as well as some “experts”, known for their anti-Azerbaijani position for various reasons. A “compatriot” of ours who has established an information resource outside of Azerbaijan at the expense of foreign grants and donations and who published an article on that information resource calling for recognition of the so-called “Armenian genocide” has raised the issue of imposing sanctions on Azerbaijan again, criticizing Azerbaijan’s lobbyist activities and calling on the U.S. and the EU to exert pressure on our country,” he said.
According to Hasanov, it is strange that someone who is known for his vulgar speech, offensive rhetoric, and a bizarre hairstyle uncharacteristic of Azerbaijanis has also been invited to that event.
“Unaware of what he speaks, this person accuses Western countries of maintaining normal relations with the Azerbaijani government. He almost portrays as a tragedy the fact that the European Union, leading countries of Europe and the United States sent congratulatory letters to Mr Ilham Aliyev following the early presidential election. I regret to tell you that some of our compatriots abroad have turned into tools in the hands of anti-Azerbaijan circles. I would like to say to them: stop following this path,” he noted.
Related news releases
- 23.07.2018Turkish FM to visit Azerbaijan on July 24
- 21.07.2018“The visit of the Azerbaijani president to France is extremely important from the point of view of ensuring our national interests”
- 21.07.2018Angela Merkel to visit Azerbaijan
- 20.07.2018Azerbaijani president meets with president of French National Assembly - UPDATED
- 20.07.2018President Ilham Aliyev completed France visit
- 20.07.2018President Ilham Aliyev congratulates King Philippe of Belgium
- 20.07.2018Azerbaijani, French presidents discuss settlement of Nagorno Karabakh conflict - UPDATED
- 20.07.2018President Sergio Mattarella’s visit to Azerbaijan in spotlight of Italian media
- 20.07.2018Mehriban Aliyeva: 177 foreign legal entities carry out illegal economic activities in occupied Azerbaijani lands - UPDATED
- 20.07.2018President Ilham Aliyev meets with SADE director general
- 20.07.2018President Ilham Aliyev meets with Executive VP of Bouygues Travaux Publics
- 20.07.2018Ilham Aliyev: Forms of threats to global security becoming more complex, dangerous
- 20.07.2018President Ilham Aliyev meets with CEO of CIFAL Group
- 20.07.2018President Ilham Aliyev meets with Iveco France president
- 20.07.2018President Ilham Aliyev meets with chairman of Rothschild & Co Supervisory Board
- 20.07.2018President Ilham Aliyev meets with Thales International official
- 20.07.2018President Ilham Aliyev met with Managing Director of Wilmotte & Associes Architectes
- 19.07.2018President Ilham Aliyev met with Chief Executive Officer of SUEZ
- 19.07.2018Azerbaijani President Ilham Aliyev met with President of French Senate
- 19.07.2018Azerbaijani President meets with Airbus vice-president for Eurasia
- 19.07.2018President Ilham Aliyev met with Chairman and CEO of Total
- 19.07.2018President Ilham Aliyev met with Chairman and CEO of Naval Group in Paris
- 19.07.2018Azerbaijani President meets with Executive Chairman of French Institute of International Relations in Paris
- 19.07.2018Azerbaijani president arrives in France
- 19.07.2018Sergio Mattarella: Azerbaijan can become ‘the main hero of a new page’ in development of economic potential of three seas
- 19.07.2018Turkish FM expected to visit Azerbaijan
- 19.07.2018Baku hosts Azerbaijan-Italy business forum
- 19.07.2018Sergio Mattarella: "Italy will remain sincere, resolute and loyal partner to Azerbaijan"
- 19.07.2018President of Azerbaijan: "Cooperation between Azerbaijan and Italy successfully develops in all directions"
- 19.07.2018Azerbaijani President signs order on awarding "Shohrat" Order to Laura Mattarella
- 18.07.2018FMs of Caspian states to meet before summit of heads of state
- 18.07.2018Baku urges foreign journalists to respect Azerbaijan’s territorial integrity
- 18.07.2018OSCE/ODIHR releases final report on Azerbaijan’s presidential election
- 18.07.2018Caspian gas ‘very important’ for Europe – Italian president
- 18.07.2018Azerbaijan, Italy ink bilateral documents
- 18.07.2018Presidents of Azerbaijan, Italy hold expanded meeting
- 18.07.2018Azerbaijani, Italian presidents hold one-on-one meeting
- 18.07.2018Italian president welcomed with official ceremony in Azerbaijan
- 17.07.2018Italian President arrives in Azerbaijan for official visit
- 17.07.2018Russia-Azerbaijan ties ‘on the rise’ – new envoy
- 10.05.2018Working group on Caspian legal status to meet prior to Astana summit
- 10.05.2018Deputy FM: Demarcation work between Azerbaijan, Russia to continue for 3-4 years
- 10.05.2018Azerbaijan says intends to intensify border delimitation talks with Georgia
- 10.05.2018Russian diplomat: Convention on Caspian Sea’s legal status may be signed at Astana summit
- 09.05.2018Governor of U.S. State of Nevada honors 100th anniversary of Azerbaijan Democratic Republic
- 08.05.2018Putin sends congratulatory letter to President Ilham Aliyev