Ali Hasanov: Legal proceedings to be initiated against organizers, executors of anti-Azerbaijani campaign
Hasanov made the remakrs commenting on the acquittal decision of an Italian court regarding Luca Volonte, the former chair of the European People's Party group in PACE, who was accused of corruption ties with Azerbaijan.
The Feb. 13 decision of the Milan court confirmed that information disseminated through a structure called Organized Crime and Corruption Reporting Project (OCCRP), established in mid-2017 for opaque and well-known purposes upon order of anti-Azerbaijan networks and centers, is unfounded and biased, and also confirmed that this is aimed at tarnishing Azerbaijan's healthy international image, the official noted.
“With such fake reports, these anti-Azerbaijan centers and networks were seeking to target not only the state of Azerbaijan but also well-known individuals with a friendly attitude towards Azerbaijan, including socio-political figures, experts, journalists, and to turn them into objects of criticism. It is no coincidence that the OCCRP material titled “The Azerbaijani Laundromat” quickly spread in the world media. The issue drew attention from different countries’ instances and a special investigation was launched against people mentioned in that document including Luca Volonte, the former chair of the European People's Party group in PACE, who was accused of receiving $2.64 from Azerbaijan,” Hasanov said.
He reminded that at that time Azerbaijan disseminated an appeal noting that these allegations are biased, unreasonable, provocative and are an integral part of the slander campaign organized by well-known circles against Azerbaijan.
“As we can see, this was also confirmed by an objective investigation of the Milan court,” Ali Hasanov said.
He stressed that the Azerbaijani government is well aware of the organizers and executors of such a smear campaign aimed at discrediting Azerbaijan and its partners.
“We intend to launch the relevant legal proceedings in connection with those involved in this slander campaign,” he noted. “The relevant state agencies of Azerbaijan have already been instructed regarding this issue. We believe that those who organize international campaigns against states, structures, individuals under cover of democracy and freedom of speech should realize responsibility for this and be punished,” he added.
Related news releases
- 21.02.2018Envoy Cekuta: U.S. supports transparent and credible electoral process
- 21.02.2018Ilham Aliyev receives ex-president of Dutch Senate
- 21.02.2018Azerbaijani president receives Iran’s defense minister
- 21.02.2018Baku reacts to statement of French Foreign Ministry
- 20.02.2018Sergey Lebedev to lead CIS observation mission in Azerbaijan presidential election - UPDATED
- 20.02.2018Outgoing Czech ambassador to Azerbaijan to serve as envoy to Russia
- 19.02.2018Azerbaijan names new ambassador to Jordan
- 19.02.2018Azerbaijan appoints new consul in Batumi
- 19.02.2018Azerbaijan, Turkmenistan mull energy cooperation
- 19.02.2018Montenegrin president to attend 6th Global Baku Forum
- 19.02.2018ODIHR needs assessment mission to arrive in Baku on Feb. 21 - UPDATED
- 19.02.2018PACE to decide on sending mission for observation of Azerbaijan presidential election in mid-March
- 19.02.2018Ilham Aliyev: Armenia’s hypocritical position is key impediment to achieving progress in Karabakh talks - UPDATED
- 19.02.2018EU special rep. for South Caucasus arrives in Baku
- 17.02.2018Baku hosts event in support of Turkey’s Afrin op
- 16.02.2018Azerbaijani FM attends roundtable at Munich Security Conference
- 16.02.2018Azerbaijani MFA: Armenia's speaking of peace is a 'clear hypocrisy'
- 16.02.2018Baku reacts to Russian MFA spokesperson’s remarks
- 16.02.2018Azerbaijani FM to meet with OSCE chairman
- 16.02.2018Azerbaijan invites int’l observers to monitor upcoming presidential election – EU envoy
- 16.02.201854th Munich Security Conference to start today
- 15.02.2018Azerbaijani president: New agreement with EU to create a new co-op format
- 15.02.2018President Ilham Aliyev offers condolences to Donald Trump
- 15.02.2018Azerbaijani president meets with Italian deputy economic development minister
- 15.02.2018Azerbaijani FM to attend Munich Security Conference
- 15.02.2018Summit of Caspian states to take place in 2H18
- 14.02.2018Azerbaijani president sends congratulatory letter to Serbian counterpart
- 14.02.2018Azerbaijan one of most active members of PACE – CoE Baku Office
- 14.02.2018FM Mammadyarov: Azerbaijan, EU have some divergent views on issues of trade, tariffs and subsidies
- 14.02.2018FM: Azerbaijan attaches great importance to development of strategic partnership with Russia
- 14.02.2018President Ilham Aliyev receives British PM's trade envoy
- 14.02.2018Azerbaijan removes Argentinean musician from ‘blacklist’
- 14.02.2018President Ilham Aliyev receives US delegation
- 14.02.2018British PM's trade envoy arrives in Azerbaijan
- 13.02.2018Azerbaijan invites PACE to observe presidential election
- 13.02.2018Milan court acquits Luca Volontè accused of political corruption linked to Azerbaijan
- 13.02.2018CIS Inter-Parliamentary Assembly to observe presidential election in Azerbaijan
- 13.02.2018President Ilham Aliyev receives Formula 1 Group CEO
- 12.02.2018Azerbaijan sends invitation to ODIHR for observation of presidential election
- 12.02.2018Azerbaijani FM meets with delegation of Holy See
- 14.02.2018Azerbaijan excludes another Russian musician from “blacklist”
- 14.02.2018Another member of "Music for Peace" project off Azerbaijan’s ‘black list’
- 14.02.2018GUAM to send observation mission for upcoming presidential election in Azerbaijan
- 14.02.2018Russian musician Vitaly Vatulya removed from Azerbaijan’s ‘blacklist’
- 14.02.2018FM: Co-op with EU does not affect Azerbaijan’s friendly ties with Russia
- 14.02.2018Council of Europe receives invitations from Azerbaijan to observe technical preparation meetings for presidential election