Arizona Senate adopts proclamation expressing firm support for Azerbaijan’s territorial integrity
The Senate of the U.S. State of Arizona adopts a proclamation expressing firm support for Azerbaijan’s territorial integrity, Azerbaijan's Consulate General in Los Angeles told APA.
The proclamation also honors the 100th anniversary of the Azerbaijan Democratic Republic - the first republic in the Muslim world.
The Senate of the State of Arizona of the United States passed a proclamation on April 12, 2018, expressing support for Azerbaijan’s territorial integrity within its internationally recognized borders, and honoring the 100th anniversary of the establishment of the Azerbaijan Democratic Republic.
Signed by Senate President Steve Yarbrough and presented by Senate President Pro Tem John Kavanagh, the proclamation passed unanimously at the plenary session of the Senate. Following the passage, the document was presented to Azerbaijan’s Consul General Nasimi Aghayev.
The proclamation notes that the first secular democratic republic in the Muslim world – Azerbaijan Democratic Republic - was established in 1918, which “enacted many progressive reforms, including granting the right to vote to women in 1919, which made Azerbaijan not only the first majority-Muslim nation to empower women, but it also put the country ahead of many advanced nations at the time in championing women's rights."
The document stresses that having restored its independence in 1991, Azerbaijan “has consolidated its freedom and independence and has become one of the world's fastest developing and modernizing countries, the largest economy of the region and the biggest U.S. trade partner in the South Caucasus.” It further mentions that the United States was one of the first countries to recognize the Republic of Azerbaijan and establish full-fledged diplomatic relations with it, and notes that Azerbaijan's sovereignty, independence and territorial integrity is recognized and supported by the U.S. and the United Nations.
Speaking of the U.S.-Azerbaijan relations, the proclamation emphasizes that both countries “have expanded their partnership and developed multi-faceted cooperation ranging from energy security, the fight against international terrorism and drug and human trafficking to nonproliferation of weapons of mass destruction.”
It states that “Azerbaijan was one of the first countries to render comprehensive and unconditional assistance to the United States immediately after the terror attacks of 9/11, opening its airspace and airports for the use by coalition troops in Afghanistan and sending its soldiers to serve there shoulder-to-shoulder with U.S. troops.” The document commends Azerbaijan’s contributions to the energy security of the United States, Europe and Israel. It also indicates that “it is critical for the United States of America to continue to further support the freedom and independence of its allies, such as Azerbaijan, and strengthen our relations with them in order to advance the common interests, presently and in the future.”
The proclamation further says: “Azerbaijan has a long-standing tradition of peaceful co-existence and interfaith harmony among Muslims, Christians and Jews, and remains one of the few secular majority-Muslim countries that maintains close strategic relationship with the State of Israel.”
The proclamation notes that represented by its Consulate General in Los Angeles, Azerbaijan has formed a strong partnership with Arizona over the last few years, and Arizona has become one of the main trade partners of Azerbaijan in the U.S.
In conclusion, the Senate congratulates the Republic of Azerbaijan on the 100th anniversary of the Azerbaijan Democratic Republic, and reiterates a firm support for Azerbaijan's independence, sovereignty and territorial integrity within its internationally recognized borders.
A short video of the proclamation’s passage can be viewed here: https://youtu.be/WzhVeEh WI5g
- 17.07.2018Date set for summit of Caspian states
- 17.07.2018Date of Azerbaijani president’s visit to Russia rescheduled
- 16.07.2018President Ilham Aliyev congratulates Putin on successful organization of FIFA 2020 World Cup
- 16.07.2018Azerbaijani president sends congratulatory letter to Croatian counterpart
- 16.07.2018President Ilham Aliyev congratulates Macron on France’s World Cup victory
- 16.07.2018Tehran condemns terror attack in Azerbaijan’s Ganja city
- 16.07.2018Traitors try to commit terrorist acts in Azerbaijan under guise of religion – Turkish envoy
- 16.07.2018Azerbaijani official: Impossible to defeat national will
- 14.07.2018Azerbaijani president to pay an official visit to France
- 14.07.2018Mehmet Akarca: Azerbaijan’s anti-FETO fight makes Turkey proud
- 14.07.2018Azerbaijani president offers condolences to Pakistani counterpart
- 13.07.2018Armenia disrespects UN Charter and member states, says Baku
- 13.07.2018Azerbaijani president receives Iranian minister of health and medical education
- 13.07.2018Azerbaijani President attends North Atlantic Council meeting
- 12.07.2018Azerbaijan commends reiterated support by NATO members to its territorial integrity – Baku
- 12.07.2018Azerbaijan’s foreign and defense ministers meet with U.S. secretaries of state and defense - UPDATED
- 12.07.2018President Aliyev meets UN under-secretary-general
- 12.07.2018President Ilham Aliyev attends meeting on NATO mission in Afghanistan
- 12.07.2018President Ilham Aliyev attended reception hosted for leaders of NATO allies and partner nations
- 11.07.2018Azerbaijani, Afghan presidents meet in Brussels
- 11.07.2018MFA: Azerbaijan commends reiterated continuous support by EU to its territorial integrity
- 11.07.2018Aktau to host summit of Caspian states in early August
- 11.07.2018Document on Azerbaijan-EU partnership priorities initialed
- 11.07.2018Azerbaijan to promote real regional co-op during BSEC chairmanship: Foreign Ministry
- 11.07.2018Azerbaijan, EU expected to initial document new partnership priorities
- 11.07.2018Azerbaijan’s successes seriously disturb some foreign circles – MFA
- 10.07.2018President of Azerbaijan pays a visit to Belgium
- 10.07.2018Turkish president ends official visit to Azerbaijan
- 10.07.2018Erdogan: TANAP is a ‘strategic investment’ made in Turkey-Azerbaijan brotherhood
- 10.07.2018President Aliyev: Azerbaijan-Turkey relations stand at highest level
- 10.07.2018Azerbaijani, Turkish presidents hold expanded meeting
- 10.07.2018Erdogan: Turkey-Azerbaijan brotherhood will continue to grow stronger
- 10.07.2018Azerbaijani, Turkish presidents hold one-on-one meeting
- 10.07.2018Erdogan welcomed with official ceremony in Azerbaijan
- 10.07.2018Turkish president arrives in Azerbaijan
- 09.07.2018President Ilham Aliyev: Azerbaijan plans to implement large number of industrial and infrastructure projects - UPDATED
- 09.07.2018Baku: EU-Azerbaijan ties to develop despite position of some forces in European Parliament
- 09.07.2018Azerbaijani PM to attend Erdogan’s inauguration
- 09.07.2018Azerbaijan intends to raise co-op with SCO to higher level – Mammadyarov
- 07.07.2018OSCE PA’s 27th annual session begins
- 16.04.2018Azerbaijan presidential election report to be heard at PACE Bureau meeting
- 16.04.2018Azerbaijan to be represented at ECO Foreign Ministers Council meeting
- 16.04.2018Mahmoud Abbas sends congratulatory letter to Ilham Aliyev
- 14.04.2018CoE Secretary General congratulates President Ilham Aliyev
- 13.04.2018President of European Council Donald Tusk congratulated President Ilham Aliyev
- 13.04.2018Emir of Kuwait congratulates Ilham Aliyev on re-election as Azerbaijani president