Armenia violates ceasefire with Azerbaijan 110 times
Military units of the armed forces of Armenia violated ceasefire 110 times throughout the day, using large-caliber machine guns, the Azerbaijani Defense Ministry said on June 12.
Armenian armed forces, located in Dovekh, Shavarshavan villages and on nameless hills in Noyemberyan region, in Berkaber village and on nameless hills in Ijevan region, in Chinari village of Berd region and on nameless hills in Krasnoselsk region subjected to fire the positions of the Azerbaijani Armed Forces located in Kamarli, Gaymagli, Ferehli, Gizilhajili, Bala Jafarli villages of Gazakh region, in Aghdam village of Tovuz region and in Zamanli village of Gadabay region.
The positions of Azerbaijani Armed Forces were also fired from positions of Armenian military units located near the occupied Goyarkh village of Terter region, Bash Garvand, Marzili villages of Aghdam region, Kuropatkino village of Khojavend region, Ashaghi Veysalli, Garvand, Gorgan, Kurdlar, Horadiz villages of Fuzuli region and Nuzgar village of Jabrayil region, as well as from positions located on nameless hills in Goranboy, Terter, Aghdam and Fuzuli regions.
A fierce war broke out between Azerbaijan and Armenia over the Nagorno-Karabakh region of Azerbaijan. As a result of the war, Armenian armed forces occupied some 20 percent of Azerbaijani territory which includes Nagorno-Karabakh and seven adjacent districts (Lachin, Kalbajar, Aghdam, Fuzuli, Jabrayil, Gubadli and Zangilan), and over a million Azerbaijanis became refugees and internally displaced people.
The military operations finally came to an end when Azerbaijan and Armenia signed a ceasefire agreement in Bishkek in 1994.
Dealing with the settlement of the Nagorno-Karabakh conflict is the OSCE Minsk Group, which was created after the meeting of the CSCE (OSCE after the Budapest summit held in Dec.1994) Ministerial Council in Helsinki on 24 March 1992. The Group’s members include Azerbaijan, Armenia, Russia, the United States, France, Italy, Germany, Turkey, Belarus, Finland and Sweden.
Besides, the OSCE Minsk Group has a co-chairmanship institution, comprised of Russian, the US and French co-chairs, which began operating in 1996.
Resolutions 822, 853, 874 and 884 of the UN Security Council, which were passed in short intervals in 1993, and other resolutions adopted by the UN General Assembly, PACE, OSCE, OIC, and other organizations require Armenia to unconditionally withdraw its troops from Nagorno-Karabakh.
Related news releases
- 21.10.2017Pan-African Parliament’s President to visit Azerbaijan
- 20.10.2017Kubiv: Positivity in Kiev-Baku relations bothers some inside and outside of Ukraine
- 20.10.2017Austrian ambassador: Azerbaijan and Armenia can not be forced into one way of solution - INTERVIEW
- 20.10.2017Ilham Aliyev: Azerbaijan’s external debt less than 20% of GDP - UPDATED
- 20.10.2017Azerbaijani president ends visit to Turkey
- 20.10.2017MP Samad Seyidov criticizes Ukrainian colleagues for voting against Azerbaijan at PACE
- 20.10.2017President Ilham Aliyev attends D8 Summit in Istanbul
- 19.10.2017Azerbaijani President met with Iranian First Vice President in Istanbul
- 19.10.2017Azerbaijani president arrives in Turkey
- 19.10.2017Moscow: Main articles of convention on Caspian Sea status agreed
- 19.10.2017Azerbaijani FM receives delegation of Cooperation Council for Arab States of Gulf
- 19.10.2017Baku to host next round of talks on new EU-Azerbaijan deal
- 19.10.2017President Ilham Aliyev receives first vice PM of Ukraine
- 18.10.2017Luxembourgian delegation says the anti-Azerbaijani campaign 'unfair'
- 18.10.2017Azerbaijani president receives CIS Frontier Troops’ Commanders
- 18.10.2017President Ilham Aliyev receives Polish FM - UPDATED
- 18.10.2017President Ilham Aliyev receives delegation of Cooperation Council for Arab States of Gulf - UPDATED
- 18.10.2017Azerbaijani, Polish FMs meet in Baku - UPDATED
- 18.10.2017Azerbaijan hails Poland’s unequivocal stance on principle of territorial integrity
- 18.10.2017Polish FM: Azerbaijan is an energy supplier to Eastern Europe
- 18.10.2017Azerbaijan sees co-op with EU as one of its foreign policy priorities
- 18.10.2017Portugal's interior minister resigns after deadly wildfires
- 18.10.2017FM Mammadyarov: Armenian president’s irresponsibly going beyond joint statement ‘not right’
- 18.10.2017EU: Human trafficking victims are mostly migrants, children and women
- 17.10.2017Mahmoud Abbas congratulates President Aliyev
- 17.10.2017Saudi King congratulates President Aliyev
- 17.10.2017President Ilham Aliyev receives credentials of incoming Greek ambassador
- 17.10.2017Ambassador: US singles out three main directions for implementing economic reforms
- 17.10.2017US assistance to Azerbaijan over past 25 years exceed $1.3 bln – Ambassador Cekuta
- 16.10.2017Azerbaijan seeks to join one of geopolitical groups within Inter-parliamentary Union
- 16.10.2017OPINION: Russia continues to supply modern weapons to occupant Armenia
- 16.10.2017Azerbaijani president ends visit to Switzerland
- 16.10.2017Meeting of Azerbaijani and Armenian presidents took place in constructive atmosphere - STATEMENT
- 16.10.2017A Ban to Shackling for Mentally Disabled People in Ghana
- 16.10.2017Azerbaijan is an important country for U.S. – Ambassador Cekuta
- 14.10.2017Bulgarian president ends visit to Azerbaijan
- 13.10.2017EU says new deal with Azerbaijan should be worked out properly
- 13.10.2017EU urges dialogue between Azerbaijan and PACE
- 13.10.2017US, Azerbaijan enjoy strong partnership in field of security, diplomat says
- 13.10.2017President Rumen Radev reaffirms Bulgaria’s support for realization of Southern Gas Corridor project
- 12.06.2017PACE Monitoring Committee co-rapporteurs arrive in Azerbaijan
- 12.06.2017Deputy FM: Agreement with EU will raise partnership among sides to new level
- 12.06.2017Mammadguliyev: Visa relations between Azerbaijan and EU are at stage of simplification
- 10.06.2017Ilham Aliyev congratulates Vladimir Putin
- 09.06.2017Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan phoned President Ilham Aliyev
- 09.06.2017Azerbaijani president congratulates his Portuguese counterpart on national holiday