Azerbaijan chose to closely cooperate with West – PM
Azerbaijan has embarked on a path of close cooperation with the West and has not changed its position until today, Prime Minister Novruz Mammadov said in his speech at the CAMCA regional forum in Baku on Friday, APA reports.
CAMCA (Central Asia-Mongolia-Caucasus-Afghanistan) Regional Forum is a non-political and non-partisan Forum established to promote region-wide discussions on means of advancing economic growth and social development in Greater Central Asia (Afghanistan, Armenia, Azerbaijan, Georgia, Kazakhstan, Kyrgyzstan, Mongolia, Tajikistan, Turkmenistan and Uzbekistan). The CAMCA Regional Forum is organized by the U.S.-based Rumsfeld Foundation.
"I appreciate what the Rumsfeld Foundation does, which aims to train leaders. Such institutions should have a great role in shaping inter-state relations and in the regulatory process,” the Azerbaijani premier said.
Mammadov noted that organizations such as the Rumsfeld Foundation should be more active.
"If so, international relations would not have been as tense as they are now. After the collapse of the USSR and the Warsaw Pact, relations improved in a short time span. Later on, there were tensions in international relations. There are some issues that should be taken into account by international actors. Discussions can be effective when you know the person better. However, attitude towards the people, the country and state is more complicated. In this case, the opposite side should learn more issues for relations. It would be difficult to establish fundamental relations with a people without knowing their traditions, mentality and history,” he said.
He went on to say that Azerbaijan is located in the most complex and important part of the world, at the junction of East and West, Islam and Christianity.
"Azerbaijan is a country rich in human and natural resources, the world’s most vulnerable region after the Balkans. I’ve not included the Middle East here,” Mammadov said.
He stressed that Azerbaijan has embarked on a path of close cooperation with the West and has not changed its position until today.
“Azerbaijan has not changed its position so far and has implemented great projects in this direction. Azerbaijan plays a role in rehabilitating the Silk Road, connecting Europe with Baku by railways,” Mammadov added.
The CAMCA Regional Forum is a networking event for the graduates of the Central Asia-Caucasus Scholarship Program announced by the US Rumsfeld Foundation in the spring and autumn of each year. The scholarship is granted to a group of young professional leaders from the region and invites them to a research program in Washington, D.C. for six weeks. The program participants meet with representatives of the American government, non-governmental and business circles there to extensively exchange information and views on Central Asia and the Caucasus. Since 2008, 17 students from Azerbaijan have participated in the scholarship program.
Related news releases
- 20.07.2018Azerbaijani president meets with president of French National Assembly - UPDATED
- 20.07.2018President Ilham Aliyev completed France visit
- 20.07.2018President Ilham Aliyev congratulates King Philippe of Belgium
- 20.07.2018Azerbaijani, French presidents discuss settlement of Nagorno Karabakh conflict - UPDATED
- 20.07.2018President Sergio Mattarella’s visit to Azerbaijan in spotlight of Italian media
- 20.07.2018Mehriban Aliyeva: 177 foreign legal entities carry out illegal economic activities in occupied Azerbaijani lands - UPDATED
- 20.07.2018President Ilham Aliyev meets with SADE director general
- 20.07.2018President Ilham Aliyev meets with Executive VP of Bouygues Travaux Publics
- 20.07.2018Ilham Aliyev: Forms of threats to global security becoming more complex, dangerous
- 20.07.2018President Ilham Aliyev meets with CEO of CIFAL Group
- 20.07.2018President Ilham Aliyev meets with Iveco France president
- 20.07.2018President Ilham Aliyev meets with chairman of Rothschild & Co Supervisory Board
- 20.07.2018President Ilham Aliyev meets with Thales International official
- 20.07.2018President Ilham Aliyev met with Managing Director of Wilmotte & Associes Architectes
- 19.07.2018President Ilham Aliyev met with Chief Executive Officer of SUEZ
- 19.07.2018Azerbaijani President Ilham Aliyev met with President of French Senate
- 19.07.2018Azerbaijani President meets with Airbus vice-president for Eurasia
- 19.07.2018President Ilham Aliyev met with Chairman and CEO of Total
- 19.07.2018President Ilham Aliyev met with Chairman and CEO of Naval Group in Paris
- 19.07.2018Azerbaijani President meets with Executive Chairman of French Institute of International Relations in Paris
- 19.07.2018Azerbaijani president arrives in France
- 19.07.2018Sergio Mattarella: Azerbaijan can become ‘the main hero of a new page’ in development of economic potential of three seas
- 19.07.2018Turkish FM expected to visit Azerbaijan
- 19.07.2018Baku hosts Azerbaijan-Italy business forum
- 19.07.2018Sergio Mattarella: "Italy will remain sincere, resolute and loyal partner to Azerbaijan"
- 19.07.2018President of Azerbaijan: "Cooperation between Azerbaijan and Italy successfully develops in all directions"
- 19.07.2018Azerbaijani President signs order on awarding "Shohrat" Order to Laura Mattarella
- 18.07.2018FMs of Caspian states to meet before summit of heads of state
- 18.07.2018Baku urges foreign journalists to respect Azerbaijan’s territorial integrity
- 18.07.2018OSCE/ODIHR releases final report on Azerbaijan’s presidential election
- 18.07.2018Caspian gas ‘very important’ for Europe – Italian president
- 18.07.2018Azerbaijan, Italy ink bilateral documents
- 18.07.2018Presidents of Azerbaijan, Italy hold expanded meeting
- 18.07.2018Azerbaijani, Italian presidents hold one-on-one meeting
- 18.07.2018Italian president welcomed with official ceremony in Azerbaijan
- 17.07.2018Italian President arrives in Azerbaijan for official visit
- 17.07.2018Russia-Azerbaijan ties ‘on the rise’ – new envoy
- 17.07.2018Date set for summit of Caspian states
- 17.07.2018Date of Azerbaijani president’s visit to Russia rescheduled
- 16.07.2018President Ilham Aliyev congratulates Putin on successful organization of FIFA 2020 World Cup
- 22.06.20182018 CAMCA Regional Forum underway in Baku
- 22.06.2018Azerbaijani PM: There is practically no concept of justice in int’l relations
- 22.06.2018President Ilham Aliyev receives members of ADB Board of Governors
- 22.06.2018U.S. congressman extends congratulations over centenary of ADR
- 21.06.2018Azerbaijani Foreign Ministry: Implementation of UN SC resolutions entrusted to OSCE MG co-chairs
- 21.06.2018Guterres stresses importance of implementing UNSC resolutions