Illegal “charter” signed between France’s Alfortville and Armenian-occupied Lachin city of Azerbaijan annulled
The illegal “charter” signed between the Alfortville city of France’s Île-de-France region and the Armenian-occupied Lachin city of Azerbaijan has been annulled, Hikmat Hajiyev, spokesman for the Azerbaijani Foreign Ministry told APA.
The “charter” was annulled thanks to the joint work of Azerbaijan’s Foreign Ministry and the Azerbaijani Embassy in Paris with France’s relevant bodies, noted Hajiyev.
“Since 2013, Armenian lobbyists functioning in France, under the pretext of “twin cities”, has been trying to sign illegal documents between the occupied Azerbaijani cities and France’s cities and settlements and to promote the illegal regime in Nagorno-Karabakh by such steps,” he said.
The spokesman recalled that on 30 June 2017, the city council of France's Alfortville decided to sign an illegal “charter”.
“The prefect of the Val-dé-Marne department, to which the city of Alfortville belongs, sent an appeal (recours gracieux) to the city council for a voluntary abolition of the decision dated 30 July 2017, but received no answer. In this regard, the prefect of the Val-dé-Marne department filed an appeal to court for the abolition of the illegal “charter”,” he said.
Nevertheless, based on the decision of the city council, the mayor of Alfortville signed the unlawful “charter” on 20 November 2017, Hajiyev stressed.
“On 8 March 2018, the court held the first hearing and a public prosecutor demanded that the “charter” be abolished due to the violation of paragraph L1115-1 of the French General Code on Local Self-Government (about the agreements signed by the aforementioned bodies being in line with France’s international obligations). As a result, on 12 April 2018, the city council of Alfortville was forced to revoke its decision (dated 30 June 2017) on signing an unlawful “charter” ("Charte d'amitié entreAlfortville et Berdzor") without waiting for a court decision with 41 votes for and 1 abstention,” he said.
Hajiyev continued: “Mayor of Alfortville Michel Gershenovitz said, ‘in order to prevent prosecution, on April 12 I asked the city council to revoke its decision. Otherwise, this verdict would a judicial act that could damage "artsakh diplomacy”.”
Baku welcomes the decision of the prefect of the Val-dé-Marne department to appeal to court for the annulment of the illegal “charter” and expects France’s central executive authorities and departments to take similar steps, Hajiyev emphasized.
In addition, Baku urges the French Foreign Ministry and other relevant bodies of the country to take strict measures to prevent the illegal activities of French local authorities in connection with the occupied Azerbaijani territories, as well as the organization of illegal visits to these lands, the spokesman added.
Related news releases
- 23.07.2018Turkish FM to visit Azerbaijan on July 24
- 21.07.2018“The visit of the Azerbaijani president to France is extremely important from the point of view of ensuring our national interests”
- 21.07.2018Angela Merkel to visit Azerbaijan
- 20.07.2018Azerbaijani president meets with president of French National Assembly - UPDATED
- 20.07.2018President Ilham Aliyev completed France visit
- 20.07.2018President Ilham Aliyev congratulates King Philippe of Belgium
- 20.07.2018Azerbaijani, French presidents discuss settlement of Nagorno Karabakh conflict - UPDATED
- 20.07.2018President Sergio Mattarella’s visit to Azerbaijan in spotlight of Italian media
- 20.07.2018Mehriban Aliyeva: 177 foreign legal entities carry out illegal economic activities in occupied Azerbaijani lands - UPDATED
- 20.07.2018President Ilham Aliyev meets with SADE director general
- 20.07.2018President Ilham Aliyev meets with Executive VP of Bouygues Travaux Publics
- 20.07.2018Ilham Aliyev: Forms of threats to global security becoming more complex, dangerous
- 20.07.2018President Ilham Aliyev meets with CEO of CIFAL Group
- 20.07.2018President Ilham Aliyev meets with Iveco France president
- 20.07.2018President Ilham Aliyev meets with chairman of Rothschild & Co Supervisory Board
- 20.07.2018President Ilham Aliyev meets with Thales International official
- 20.07.2018President Ilham Aliyev met with Managing Director of Wilmotte & Associes Architectes
- 19.07.2018President Ilham Aliyev met with Chief Executive Officer of SUEZ
- 19.07.2018Azerbaijani President Ilham Aliyev met with President of French Senate
- 19.07.2018Azerbaijani President meets with Airbus vice-president for Eurasia
- 19.07.2018President Ilham Aliyev met with Chairman and CEO of Total
- 19.07.2018President Ilham Aliyev met with Chairman and CEO of Naval Group in Paris
- 19.07.2018Azerbaijani President meets with Executive Chairman of French Institute of International Relations in Paris
- 19.07.2018Azerbaijani president arrives in France
- 19.07.2018Sergio Mattarella: Azerbaijan can become ‘the main hero of a new page’ in development of economic potential of three seas
- 19.07.2018Turkish FM expected to visit Azerbaijan
- 19.07.2018Baku hosts Azerbaijan-Italy business forum
- 19.07.2018Sergio Mattarella: "Italy will remain sincere, resolute and loyal partner to Azerbaijan"
- 19.07.2018President of Azerbaijan: "Cooperation between Azerbaijan and Italy successfully develops in all directions"
- 19.07.2018Azerbaijani President signs order on awarding "Shohrat" Order to Laura Mattarella
- 18.07.2018FMs of Caspian states to meet before summit of heads of state
- 18.07.2018Baku urges foreign journalists to respect Azerbaijan’s territorial integrity
- 18.07.2018OSCE/ODIHR releases final report on Azerbaijan’s presidential election
- 18.07.2018Caspian gas ‘very important’ for Europe – Italian president
- 18.07.2018Azerbaijan, Italy ink bilateral documents
- 18.07.2018Presidents of Azerbaijan, Italy hold expanded meeting
- 18.07.2018Azerbaijani, Italian presidents hold one-on-one meeting
- 18.07.2018Italian president welcomed with official ceremony in Azerbaijan
- 17.07.2018Italian President arrives in Azerbaijan for official visit
- 17.07.2018Russia-Azerbaijan ties ‘on the rise’ – new envoy
- 12.05.2018May 28 declared Azerbaijan National Day in Pennsylvania
- 13.05.2018Foreign Minister Elmar Mammadyarov departed to Belgium to attend the international conference on the victims of ethnic and religious violence in the Middle East
- 14.05.2018ACRE staff member asks Baku not to blacklist him for visiting occupied lands
- 11.05.2018Santa Fe proclaims May 28 as ‘Azerbaijan National Day’
- 10.05.2018Azerbaijan says intends to intensify border delimitation talks with Georgia
- 10.05.2018Deputy FM: Demarcation work between Azerbaijan, Russia to continue for 3-4 years