Illegal “charter” signed between France’s Alfortville and Armenian-occupied Lachin city of Azerbaijan annulled
The illegal “charter” signed between the Alfortville city of France’s Île-de-France region and the Armenian-occupied Lachin city of Azerbaijan has been annulled, Hikmat Hajiyev, spokesman for the Azerbaijani Foreign Ministry told APA.
The “charter” was annulled thanks to the joint work of Azerbaijan’s Foreign Ministry and the Azerbaijani Embassy in Paris with France’s relevant bodies, noted Hajiyev.
“Since 2013, Armenian lobbyists functioning in France, under the pretext of “twin cities”, has been trying to sign illegal documents between the occupied Azerbaijani cities and France’s cities and settlements and to promote the illegal regime in Nagorno-Karabakh by such steps,” he said.
The spokesman recalled that on 30 June 2017, the city council of France's Alfortville decided to sign an illegal “charter”.
“The prefect of the Val-dé-Marne department, to which the city of Alfortville belongs, sent an appeal (recours gracieux) to the city council for a voluntary abolition of the decision dated 30 July 2017, but received no answer. In this regard, the prefect of the Val-dé-Marne department filed an appeal to court for the abolition of the illegal “charter”,” he said.
Nevertheless, based on the decision of the city council, the mayor of Alfortville signed the unlawful “charter” on 20 November 2017, Hajiyev stressed.
“On 8 March 2018, the court held the first hearing and a public prosecutor demanded that the “charter” be abolished due to the violation of paragraph L1115-1 of the French General Code on Local Self-Government (about the agreements signed by the aforementioned bodies being in line with France’s international obligations). As a result, on 12 April 2018, the city council of Alfortville was forced to revoke its decision (dated 30 June 2017) on signing an unlawful “charter” ("Charte d'amitié entreAlfortville et Berdzor") without waiting for a court decision with 41 votes for and 1 abstention,” he said.
Hajiyev continued: “Mayor of Alfortville Michel Gershenovitz said, ‘in order to prevent prosecution, on April 12 I asked the city council to revoke its decision. Otherwise, this verdict would a judicial act that could damage "artsakh diplomacy”.”
Baku welcomes the decision of the prefect of the Val-dé-Marne department to appeal to court for the annulment of the illegal “charter” and expects France’s central executive authorities and departments to take similar steps, Hajiyev emphasized.
In addition, Baku urges the French Foreign Ministry and other relevant bodies of the country to take strict measures to prevent the illegal activities of French local authorities in connection with the occupied Azerbaijani territories, as well as the organization of illegal visits to these lands, the spokesman added.
Related news releases
- 19.05.2018Poroshenko signs decree on recalling Ukraine’s representatives from CIS statutory bodies
- 19.05.2018Elmar Mammadyarov: "Azerbaijan remains ready to contribute to the just solution of the Palestinian issue"
- 18.05.2018Azerbaijan’s First Vice-President meets with UNESCO Director General in Paris
- 18.05.2018Mehriban Aliyev attends conference on 80th birthday of Koïchiro Matsuura in Paris
- 18.05.2018Azerbaijani, Kyrgyz presidents hold phone talk
- 18.05.2018Baku to convey serious protest to Russian Foreign Ministry
- 16.05.2018Head of delegation: No one will accept such Council of Europe
- 16.05.2018President Ilham Aliyev sends congratulatory letter to King of Norway
- 16.05.2018Samad Seyidov: I’ve been interrogated for 3 hours
- 16.05.2018Samad Seyidov: Those who face sanctions in PACE are the ones who support Azerbaijan’s territorial integrity
- 16.05.2018Head of delegation: Azerbaijan to continue activity in PACE
- 16.05.2018Samad Seyidov: PACE decision – a manifestation of double standard attitude towards Azerbaijan
- 16.05.2018Jamewstown Foundation president: BTK to carry military cargo, Turkey gives initial consent
- 16.05.2018Final declaration of PABSEC Istanbul summit does not include paragraph on al-Quds
- 16.05.2018PACE committee imposes sanction on Azerbaijani MP Samad Seyidov
- 16.05.2018Russia says concerned over 'dangerous escalation' in Gaza
- 16.05.2018What points does report of Independent Investigation Body on allegations of corruption within PACE highlight? - OPINION
- 16.05.2018Israeli ambassador: Peace will not be attainable as long as Palestinians refuse to recognize Jewish people as a nation - INTERVIEW
- 16.05.2018Azerbaijan names new deputy foreign minister
- 15.05.2018Palestinian ambassador: Trump ‘added fuel to the fire’ - INTERVIEW
- 15.05.2018Ilham Aliyev receives former president of Dutch Senate - UPDATED
- 14.05.2018Elmar Mammadyarov met with the EU High Representative
- 14.05.2018President Aliyev congratulates Malaysian PM
- 10.05.2018Working group on Caspian legal status to meet prior to Astana summit
- 10.05.2018Ali Hasanov comments on Helsinki Commission hearings on Azerbaijan
- 10.05.2018Russian diplomat: Convention on Caspian Sea’s legal status may be signed at Astana summit
- 09.05.2018Governor of U.S. State of Nevada honors 100th anniversary of Azerbaijan Democratic Republic
- 08.05.2018Putin sends congratulatory letter to President Ilham Aliyev
- 08.05.2018Content of joint statement of EU-Azerbaijan Parliamentary Cooperation Committee publicized
- 08.05.2018Sajjad Karim: Joint statement of EU-Azerbaijan Parliamentary Cooperation Committee meeting supports co-op
- 08.05.2018EU-Azerbaijan Parliamentary Cooperation Committee adopts joint statement
- 08.05.2018Ambassador: European companies engaged in extracting gold in occupied Azerbaijani lands
- 08.05.2018EU does not import any goods or services from Nagorno-Karabakh: EU official
- 08.05.2018Bayram Safarov: Armenia busy with its own problems
- 08.05.2018Azerbaijan calls on EU to prevent activities of legal entities and individuals in occupied Azerbaijani lands
- 08.05.2018Azerbaijan’s Foreign Ministry issues statement on occupation of Shusha
- 08.05.2018Ziyafat Asgarov: Armenia should abandon its occupation policy
- 08.05.2018MFA: Azerbaijan expects EU’s unambiguous position on its territorial integrity
- 08.05.2018Charity event dedicated to 95th birthday anniversary of Azerbaijan’s National Leader Heydar Aliyev held in Los Angeles
- 07.05.2018Luc Devigne: EU ready to help Azerbaijan become transport hub and diversify its economy
- 12.05.2018May 28 declared Azerbaijan National Day in Pennsylvania
- 13.05.2018Foreign Minister Elmar Mammadyarov departed to Belgium to attend the international conference on the victims of ethnic and religious violence in the Middle East
- 14.05.2018ACRE staff member asks Baku not to blacklist him for visiting occupied lands
- 11.05.2018Santa Fe proclaims May 28 as ‘Azerbaijan National Day’
- 10.05.2018Azerbaijan says intends to intensify border delimitation talks with Georgia
- 10.05.2018Deputy FM: Demarcation work between Azerbaijan, Russia to continue for 3-4 years