Azerbaijan’s National Flag Day celebrated in California’s Monterey city
Azerbaijan’s National Flag Day was celebrated with a ceremony in the City of Monterey of the U.S. State of California on November 7, 2017.
Hosted by the Monterey City Council in the City Hall, the event was attended by the City leadership, businesspersons, representatives of mass media, arts and culture as well as professors and students of the renowned Monterey-based graduate schools of the U.S. Department of Defense, the Consulate General of Azerbaijan in Los Angeles told APA.
It is noteworthy that Monterey and the City of Lankaran in Azerbaijan have enjoyed a sister-city relationship since 2011.
Opening the event, Monterey Mayor Clyde Roberson expressed the city’s satisfaction to host such celebration. Speaking of the importance of sister-city relationships in building bridges between people, the Mayor highlighted the partnership with Lankaran in Azerbaijan. Touching on the diversity of Monterey, Roberson stressed the significance of further developing mutually beneficial relationships with sister cities and expanding the outreach to their communities.
Then Azerbaijan’s Consul General in Los Angeles Nasimi Aghayev was invited to address the audience. Speaking of Azerbaijan’s tumultous path to freedom and independence, the Consul General informed the event attendees about Azerbaijan Democratic Republic (1918-20) – the first ever majority-Muslim secular democracy in the world - , which adopted the current tricolor flag as the national flag of Azerbaijan on November 9, 1918. Aghayev mentioned that after 71 years as part of the Soviet Union, this flag became the national flag of the independent Republic of Azerbaijan in 1991. He stressed that when Azerbaijan’s National Leader Heydar Aliyev was the chairman of the Supreme Assembly of Azerbaijan’s Nakhchivan region, this tricolor flag was raised in November 1990 – a year before the collapse of the USSR – as the flag of the Nakhchivan Autonomous Republic. The Consul General thanked the City of Monterey for hosting this momentous celebration and for their unwaivering friendship.
Speaking afterwards, the former City Councilwoman Nancy Selfridge, who played an instrumental role in establishing the Monterey-Lankaran sister-city relationship talked about the history of this partnership and expressed her hope that this relationship will become even stronger over the years to come.
Then a proclamation signed by Monterey Mayor Clyde Roberson regarding the Monterey-Lankaran partnership and Azerbaijan’s National Flag Day was presented to Consul General Nasimi Aghayev. The event also featured a phenomenal performance of Azerbaijani songs by local Azerbaijani community member Eldar Khudiyev.
It should be stressed that in honor of Azerbaijan’s National Flag Day and the celebration, a central street (Alvarado Str.) of Monterey was decorated with many Azerbaijan flags, a short video of which can be viewed here: https://youtu.be/Vnf_FztVXyM
- 16.07.2018President Ilham Aliyev congratulates Putin on successful organization of FIFA 2020 World Cup
- 16.07.2018Azerbaijani president sends congratulatory letter to Croatian counterpart
- 16.07.2018President Ilham Aliyev congratulates Macron on France’s World Cup victory
- 16.07.2018Tehran condemns terror attack in Azerbaijan’s Ganja city
- 16.07.2018Traitors try to commit terrorist acts in Azerbaijan under guise of religion – Turkish envoy
- 16.07.2018Azerbaijani official: Impossible to defeat national will
- 14.07.2018Azerbaijani president to pay an official visit to France
- 14.07.2018Mehmet Akarca: Azerbaijan’s anti-FETO fight makes Turkey proud
- 14.07.2018Azerbaijani president offers condolences to Pakistani counterpart
- 13.07.2018Armenia disrespects UN Charter and member states, says Baku
- 13.07.2018Azerbaijani president receives Iranian minister of health and medical education
- 13.07.2018Azerbaijani President attends North Atlantic Council meeting
- 12.07.2018Azerbaijan commends reiterated support by NATO members to its territorial integrity – Baku
- 12.07.2018Azerbaijan’s foreign and defense ministers meet with U.S. secretaries of state and defense - UPDATED
- 12.07.2018President Aliyev meets UN under-secretary-general
- 12.07.2018President Ilham Aliyev attends meeting on NATO mission in Afghanistan
- 12.07.2018President Ilham Aliyev attended reception hosted for leaders of NATO allies and partner nations
- 11.07.2018Azerbaijani, Afghan presidents meet in Brussels
- 11.07.2018MFA: Azerbaijan commends reiterated continuous support by EU to its territorial integrity
- 11.07.2018Aktau to host summit of Caspian states in early August
- 11.07.2018Document on Azerbaijan-EU partnership priorities initialed
- 11.07.2018Azerbaijan to promote real regional co-op during BSEC chairmanship: Foreign Ministry
- 11.07.2018Azerbaijan, EU expected to initial document new partnership priorities
- 11.07.2018Azerbaijan’s successes seriously disturb some foreign circles – MFA
- 10.07.2018President of Azerbaijan pays a visit to Belgium
- 10.07.2018Turkish president ends official visit to Azerbaijan
- 10.07.2018Erdogan: TANAP is a ‘strategic investment’ made in Turkey-Azerbaijan brotherhood
- 10.07.2018President Aliyev: Azerbaijan-Turkey relations stand at highest level
- 10.07.2018Azerbaijani, Turkish presidents hold expanded meeting
- 10.07.2018Erdogan: Turkey-Azerbaijan brotherhood will continue to grow stronger
- 10.07.2018Azerbaijani, Turkish presidents hold one-on-one meeting
- 10.07.2018Erdogan welcomed with official ceremony in Azerbaijan
- 10.07.2018Turkish president arrives in Azerbaijan
- 09.07.2018President Ilham Aliyev: Azerbaijan plans to implement large number of industrial and infrastructure projects - UPDATED
- 09.07.2018Baku: EU-Azerbaijan ties to develop despite position of some forces in European Parliament
- 09.07.2018Azerbaijani PM to attend Erdogan’s inauguration
- 09.07.2018Azerbaijan intends to raise co-op with SCO to higher level – Mammadyarov
- 07.07.2018OSCE PA’s 27th annual session begins
- 06.07.2018Ramazan Abdulatipov: Caspian ‘on the brink of disaster’
- 05.07.2018Ilham Aliyev: Azerbaijan is becoming important East-West and North-South transport corridor - UPDATED
- 09.11.2017Azerbaijani Foreign Ministry expresses its attitude to the report on the detention of 200 Azerbaijani women in Iraq
- 10.11.2017Azerbaijani FM meets with African Union Commissioner for Peace and Security
- 10.11.2017Azerbaijani FM meets with African Union commissioners
- 09.11.2017Israel's ambassador to Azerbaijan visits western disricts
- 09.11.2017Azerbaijani FM meets with Ethiopian president
- 08.11.2017Ali Hasanov: We feel hurtful about some Turkish MPs having voted against Azerbaijan in PACE