Azerbaijani MFA: Armenia must understand that attempts to seize territories by force ‘unacceptable’
Armenia must understand that attempts to change the internationally recognized borders of states and seize territories by force are unacceptable and can in no way be considered legitimate, Hikmat Hajiyev, spokesman for Azerbaijan's Ministry of Foreign Affairs, told APA on Tuesday.
He was commenting on the statement made by Vice-Speaker of the Armenian Parliament Edward Sharmazanov during a meeting with a Latvian delegation.
"Armenia’s Deputy Foreign Minister Shavarsh Kocharyan seems to be faced with a new rival, the Vice Speaker of the Armenian Parliament Edward Sharmazanov. But from the point of view of illogicality and indifference, their statements are the same,” the spokesman said.
Before speaking on behalf of the European Union, Sharmazanov had better familiarize himself with EU documents, Hajiyev stressed.
"The joint declaration of the Eastern Partnership (EaP) Summit held in Brussels reiterated support for the territorial integrity, independence and sovereignty of all the EaP countries. The declaration states that the European Union remains committed to supporting the territorial integrity, independence and sovereignty of all its partners. The statement also makes references to the Helsinki Final Act, the Charter of Paris (1990) and the EU Global Strategy," he said.
According to Hajiyev, the sovereignty, independence and territorial integrity of states, the inviolability of borders in the EU Global Strategy are the key elements of the European security order.
"These principles apply to all EU member states and all other states beyond the EU’s borders (The sovereignty, independence and territorial integrity of states, the inviolability of borders, and the peaceful settlement of disputes are the key elements of the European security order. These principles apply to all states, both within and beyond the EU’s borders),” he added.
Hajiyev also said that the resolution “On EU’s foreign and security policy”, passed by the European Parliament on December 13, 2017, affirms the European Parliament’s commitment to supporting the territorial integrity of the EaP countries within their internationally recognized borders.
“It is no coincidence that territorial integrity, sovereignty and border inviolability are the basic principles for Europe, which has suffered from World War II and fascist invasion,” he said.
“Armenia must understand that attempts to change the internationally recognized borders of states and seize territories by force are unacceptable and can in no way be considered legitimate,” added Hajiyev.
Related news releases
- 14.07.2018Azerbaijani president to pay an official visit to France
- 14.07.2018Mehmet Akarca: Azerbaijan’s anti-FETO fight makes Turkey proud
- 14.07.2018Azerbaijani president offers condolences to Pakistani counterpart
- 13.07.2018Armenia disrespects UN Charter and member states, says Baku
- 13.07.2018Azerbaijani president receives Iranian minister of health and medical education
- 13.07.2018Azerbaijani President attends North Atlantic Council meeting
- 12.07.2018Azerbaijan commends reiterated support by NATO members to its territorial integrity – Baku
- 12.07.2018Azerbaijan’s foreign and defense ministers meet with U.S. secretaries of state and defense - UPDATED
- 12.07.2018President Aliyev meets UN under-secretary-general
- 12.07.2018President Ilham Aliyev attends meeting on NATO mission in Afghanistan
- 12.07.2018President Ilham Aliyev attended reception hosted for leaders of NATO allies and partner nations
- 11.07.2018Azerbaijani, Afghan presidents meet in Brussels
- 11.07.2018MFA: Azerbaijan commends reiterated continuous support by EU to its territorial integrity
- 11.07.2018Aktau to host summit of Caspian states in early August
- 11.07.2018Document on Azerbaijan-EU partnership priorities initialed
- 11.07.2018Azerbaijan to promote real regional co-op during BSEC chairmanship: Foreign Ministry
- 11.07.2018Azerbaijan, EU expected to initial document new partnership priorities
- 11.07.2018Azerbaijan’s successes seriously disturb some foreign circles – MFA
- 10.07.2018President of Azerbaijan pays a visit to Belgium
- 10.07.2018Turkish president ends official visit to Azerbaijan
- 10.07.2018Erdogan: TANAP is a ‘strategic investment’ made in Turkey-Azerbaijan brotherhood
- 10.07.2018President Aliyev: Azerbaijan-Turkey relations stand at highest level
- 10.07.2018Azerbaijani, Turkish presidents hold expanded meeting
- 10.07.2018Erdogan: Turkey-Azerbaijan brotherhood will continue to grow stronger
- 10.07.2018Azerbaijani, Turkish presidents hold one-on-one meeting
- 10.07.2018Erdogan welcomed with official ceremony in Azerbaijan
- 10.07.2018Turkish president arrives in Azerbaijan
- 09.07.2018President Ilham Aliyev: Azerbaijan plans to implement large number of industrial and infrastructure projects - UPDATED
- 09.07.2018Baku: EU-Azerbaijan ties to develop despite position of some forces in European Parliament
- 09.07.2018Azerbaijani PM to attend Erdogan’s inauguration
- 09.07.2018Azerbaijan intends to raise co-op with SCO to higher level – Mammadyarov
- 07.07.2018OSCE PA’s 27th annual session begins
- 06.07.2018Ramazan Abdulatipov: Caspian ‘on the brink of disaster’
- 05.07.2018Ilham Aliyev: Azerbaijan is becoming important East-West and North-South transport corridor - UPDATED
- 05.07.2018European Parliament passes resolution on Azerbaijan
- 05.07.2018UN General Assembly can discuss draft resolution on situation in occupied Azerbaijani lands
- 04.07.2018Official reception held in Baku in connection with anniversary of US independence
- 03.07.2018President Ilham Aliyev congratulates Donald Trump on Independence Day
- 03.07.2018Permanent representatives of Azerbaijan, Georgia, Turkey address letter to UN Sec-Gen
- 03.07.2018About the tragicomic decision of PACE or the anatomy of “for life sanctioning” of 14 persons
- 19.12.2017Azerbaijani, Iranian, Turkish FMs to meet in Baku on Dec. 20
- 19.12.2017Iranian President's chief of staff to visit Baku
- 19.12.2017Azerbaijani president invited to visit Czech Republic
- 18.12.2017Azerbaijan appoints new ambassador to Tajikistan
- 18.12.2017Azerbaijani FM receives outgoing Russian ambassador
- 18.12.2017Azerbaijan is a very reliable partner for NATO – Hungarian envoy