Azerbaijani MFA: Armenia must understand that attempts to seize territories by force ‘unacceptable’
Armenia must understand that attempts to change the internationally recognized borders of states and seize territories by force are unacceptable and can in no way be considered legitimate, Hikmat Hajiyev, spokesman for Azerbaijan's Ministry of Foreign Affairs, told APA on Tuesday.
He was commenting on the statement made by Vice-Speaker of the Armenian Parliament Edward Sharmazanov during a meeting with a Latvian delegation.
"Armenia’s Deputy Foreign Minister Shavarsh Kocharyan seems to be faced with a new rival, the Vice Speaker of the Armenian Parliament Edward Sharmazanov. But from the point of view of illogicality and indifference, their statements are the same,” the spokesman said.
Before speaking on behalf of the European Union, Sharmazanov had better familiarize himself with EU documents, Hajiyev stressed.
"The joint declaration of the Eastern Partnership (EaP) Summit held in Brussels reiterated support for the territorial integrity, independence and sovereignty of all the EaP countries. The declaration states that the European Union remains committed to supporting the territorial integrity, independence and sovereignty of all its partners. The statement also makes references to the Helsinki Final Act, the Charter of Paris (1990) and the EU Global Strategy," he said.
According to Hajiyev, the sovereignty, independence and territorial integrity of states, the inviolability of borders in the EU Global Strategy are the key elements of the European security order.
"These principles apply to all EU member states and all other states beyond the EU’s borders (The sovereignty, independence and territorial integrity of states, the inviolability of borders, and the peaceful settlement of disputes are the key elements of the European security order. These principles apply to all states, both within and beyond the EU’s borders),” he added.
Hajiyev also said that the resolution “On EU’s foreign and security policy”, passed by the European Parliament on December 13, 2017, affirms the European Parliament’s commitment to supporting the territorial integrity of the EaP countries within their internationally recognized borders.
“It is no coincidence that territorial integrity, sovereignty and border inviolability are the basic principles for Europe, which has suffered from World War II and fascist invasion,” he said.
“Armenia must understand that attempts to change the internationally recognized borders of states and seize territories by force are unacceptable and can in no way be considered legitimate,” added Hajiyev.
Related news releases
- 19.01.2018PACE Sub-Committee on Conflicts to be reconstituted
- 19.01.2018Azerbaijani delegation to attend PACE winter session
- 19.01.2018Azerbaijani president offers condolences to Uzbek counterpart
- 18.01.2018Azerbaijani president to address Davos Economic Forum
- 17.01.2018EU-Azerbaijan comprehensive agreement to be discussed at European Parliament
- 17.01.2018PUIC starts its 13th Session
- 17.01.2018Azerbaijani and French FMs met in Paris - UPDATED
- 16.01.2018Ilham Aliyev: Azerbaijan, Turkey to continue to implement major projects this year - UPDATED
- 16.01.2018Bulgarian PM completes Azerbaijan visit
- 15.01.2018President Ilham Aliyev: Bulgaria and Azerbaijan will continue to cooperate successfully
- 15.01.2018President Ilham Aliyev has dinner with Bulgarian PM Boyko Borissov
- 15.01.2018Azerbaijani president, Bulgarian PM make press statements
- 15.01.2018Azerbaijani FM to meet with French counterpart
- 15.01.2018Azerbaijani president, Bulgarian PM hold expanded meeting
- 15.01.2018Azerbaijani president holds one-on-one meeting with Bulgarian PM
- 15.01.2018Iran’s Rouhani to visit Baku late March
- 15.01.2018Azerbaijan-Moldova intergovernmental commission on economic co-op to meet in first half of 2018
- 15.01.2018Russia says satisfied with strategic partnership with Azerbaijan
- 15.01.2018President Ilham Aliyev offers condolences to Iranian counterpart
- 13.01.2018Azerbaijan stands firmly next to Turkey on all regional issues – envoy
- 12.01.2018Kestutis Jankauskas: "Negotiations on the aviation agreement between Azerbaijan and the EU are almost completed"
- 12.01.2018Azerbaijani, Swiss presidents to meet in Davos
- 12.01.2018Azerbaijan highly values Italy’s willingness to take responsibility of chairing OSCE at challenging period
- 11.01.2018Azerbaijan joins Framework Agreement on Facilitation of Cross-border Paperless Trade in Asia and the Pacific
- 10.01.2018President Ilham Aliyev extends condolences over death Georgia’s first ambassador to Azerbaijan
- 09.01.2018Bulgarian president phones President Ilham Aliyev
- 08.01.2018President Ilham Aliyev receives credentials of incoming ambassadors - UPDATED
- 08.01.2018NATO official comments on upcoming high-level meeting with Russia in Baku
- 05.01.2018Samad Seyidov comments on change in composition of Azerbaijani delegation to PACE
- 04.01.2018Patriarch Kirill sends congratulatory letter to President Ilham Aliyev
- 04.01.2018Staff of Azerbaijani delegation to PACE changed - UPDATED
- 03.01.2018Azerbaijan and EU to hold next round of negotiations in February
- 30.12.2017We hope that conflict between Azerbaijan and Armenia will be resolved in 2018 – Iranian spokesman
- 30.12.2017Putin congratulates Azerbaijani president
- 29.12.2017President Ilham Aliyev receives letter from Georgian counterpart
- 29.12.2017Azerbaijani MPs slam Georgia’s intention to provide Armenia with access to Russia
- 29.12.2017Ambassador: Azerbaijan-Georgia economic cooperation yet to reach its potential - INTERVIEW
- 28.12.2017Azerbaijan condemns missile attacks against Saudi Arabia
- 28.12.2017Azerbaijani president to visit Belarus
- 28.12.2017Azerbaijan’s list of undesirable persons includes names of 600 people: Foreign Ministry
- 19.12.2017Azerbaijani, Iranian, Turkish FMs to meet in Baku on Dec. 20
- 19.12.2017Iranian President's chief of staff to visit Baku
- 19.12.2017Azerbaijani president invited to visit Czech Republic
- 18.12.2017Azerbaijan appoints new ambassador to Tajikistan
- 18.12.2017Azerbaijani FM receives outgoing Russian ambassador
- 18.12.2017Azerbaijan is a very reliable partner for NATO – Hungarian envoy