Azerbaijan summons US envoy, hands note of protest
Azerbaijan’s Foreign Ministry has summoned US Ambassador to the country Robert Cekuta in connection with the US visit of Bako Sahakyan, who calls himself the “president” of the illegal regime created in the occupied Azerbaijani territories, and the event promoting the fictitious regime in the US Congress, Hikmat Hajiyev, spokesman for Azerbaijan’s Foreign Ministry told APA.
Hajiyev said that Ambassador Cekuta received a note of protest, sent by Azerbaijan’s Ministry of Foreign Affairs to the U.S. Department of State.
Azerbaijan’s ambassador to the US also held a meeting at the State Department to express the Azerbaijani side’s protest, the spokesman added.
The note reads that the fact that Bako Sahakyan, a resident of the Khankendi town of Azerbaijan’s Nagorno-Karabakh conflict, has obtained a visa to enter the US territory by presenting false information with an Armenian passport and has been given a permit to hold events in corresponding US institutions aimed at propagating the illegal regime and raising funds in the US in order to aid the occupation of Azerbaijani territories runs contrary to the norms and principles of international law, the UN Security Council resolutions, bilateral documents signed between Azerbaijan and the US, and the US official position, Hajiyev said.
He added that this step by the US is regarded as an activity against the territorial integrity and sovereignty of Azerbaijan.
“The note also says that the US must fulfill its commitments in compliance with the norms and principles of international law and prevent any action in its territory aimed against the territorial integrity and sovereignty of Azerbaijan. While the US and Azerbaijan have partnership relations in other areas, such a surprising step by the US is considered a biased attitude and a change in its position regarding the Armenia-Azerbaijan Nagorno-Karabakh conflict,” the spokesman said.
The creation of opportunity for the entry of representatives of a fictional regime, created as a result of military aggression and bloody ethnic cleansing against Azerbaijan, into the US while the US introduces special sanctions against other separatist regimes in the post-Soviet area, is a manifestation of dual standards,” Hajiyev emphasized.
The US, as a permanent member of the UN Security Council, must comply with the requirements of the relevant resolutions adopted by the UN Security Council and, in this context, try to withdraw Armenian troops from the occupied territories of Azerbaijan and return Azerbaijani IDPs to their native lands, the spokesman added.
“On one hand, the US calls for a settlement of the conflict through negotiations, and on the other hand, creates opportunities for propaganda of the illegal regime and turns a blind eye to illegal acts in the occupied territories of Azerbaijan, which raises serious questions about the impartiality and objectivity of the United States. This step of the US seriously harms the negotiation process, efforts to ensure sustainable peace and security and serves to escalation of the situation in the region,” Hajiyev noted.
He added that by taking such a step, the US has damaged the attitude of the Azerbaijani people and public towards this country.
“As a response to such behavior of the US, Azerbaijan will proceed from the principle of reciprocity in relations with the US,” Hajiyev stressed.
Related news releases
- 25.06.2018President Ilham Aliyev phoned Turkish president Recep Tayyip Erdogan
- 23.06.2018President Ilham Aliyev receives delegation led by Algerian justice minister
- 23.06.2018Afghan deputy FM says relations with Azerbaijan at highest level
- 22.06.2018Draft Convention on Caspian legal status allows laying pipelines on seabed
- 22.06.2018Draft Convention bans military presence of non-party countries in Caspian Sea
- 22.06.2018Russian government approves draft Convention on Caspian legal status
- 22.06.2018President Ilham Aliyev receives members of ADB Board of Governors
- 22.06.2018Azerbaijani PM: There is practically no concept of justice in int’l relations
- 22.06.20182018 CAMCA Regional Forum underway in Baku
- 22.06.2018Azerbaijan chose to closely cooperate with West – PM
- 22.06.2018U.S. congressman extends congratulations over centenary of ADR
- 21.06.2018Azerbaijani Foreign Ministry: Implementation of UN SC resolutions entrusted to OSCE MG co-chairs
- 21.06.2018Guterres stresses importance of implementing UNSC resolutions
- 21.06.2018Azerbaijani FM leaves for Minsk
- 20.06.2018Minsk to host 10th round of EaP informal ministerial dialogues
- 20.06.2018Foreign Ministry: Number of IDPs and refugees in Azerbaijan exceeds 1.2 mln
- 20.06.2018Azerbaijani MP sends open letter to PACE committee members
- 19.06.2018Russian State Duma chairman to visit Azerbaijan
- 19.06.2018UN High Commissioner for Human Rights calls Azerbaijan actively cooperating country
- 19.06.2018Azerbaijani parliament speaker to visit China
- 18.06.2018Baku: No Azerbaijani nationals among Japan earthquake victims
- 15.06.2018Vice-Speaker: Georgia's failure to attend TANAP opening ceremony was due to domestic political situation in the country
- 14.06.2018Delegation of Nizami Ganjavi International Center meets Israeli defense minister
- 14.06.2018Azerbaijani flag hoisted outside Philadelphia Mayor’s Office
- 13.06.2018Donald Trump congratulates Ilham Aliyev on Eid al-Fitr
- 13.06.2018Process of border delimitation with Georgia ‘relatively passive’, says Azerbaijan
- 13.06.2018Putin: Political co-op between Russia, Azerbaijan is stable
- 13.06.2018Summit of Caspian states planned to be held in first half of August – Azerbaijani diplomat
- 13.06.2018Azerbaijani president to visit Russia again on Aug. 30 – Putin
- 13.06.2018PACE Monitoring Committee to appoint new co-rapporteur on Azerbaijan on June 28
- 13.06.2018PACE to appoint rapporteur for preparation of report on “political prisoners in Azerbaijan”
- 13.06.2018Matthew Bryza: TANAP has turned Azerbaijan into a key player in global energy market - INTERVIEW
- 13.06.2018Azerbaijani President pays working visit to Russia
- 12.06.2018Azerbaijani president to visit Ukraine
- 12.06.2018Azerbaijan invites Ukraine to join Southern Gas Corridor project
- 12.06.2018President Ilham Aliyev meets BP CEO - UPDATED
- 12.06.2018Azerbaijani, Ukrainian presidents meet in Turkey
- 11.06.2018President Ilham Aliyev congratulates Vladimir Putin
- 11.06.2018Azerbaijan grants temporary residence permits to over 3,000 foreigners in May
- 11.06.2018No plan for Azerbaijani, Armenian leaders to meet in Moscow – Yerevan
- 12.03.2018Ilham Aliyev: Azerbaijan-Georgia co-op is successful not only in region, but also on a global level - UPDATED
- 12.03.2018Azerbaijan says its military exercises in sovereign territories in line with Vienna Document
- 12.03.2018Council of Europe Secretary General offers condolences to President Ilham Aliyev
- 12.03.2018Ilham Aliyev: Upcoming presidential election will reflect Azerbaijani people’s will - UPDATED
- 12.03.2018Azerbaijani MFA releases information on preparation for presidential election
- 12.03.2018Georgian PM arrives in Azerbaijan