Azerbaijan summons US envoy, hands note of protest
Azerbaijan’s Foreign Ministry has summoned US Ambassador to the country Robert Cekuta in connection with the US visit of Bako Sahakyan, who calls himself the “president” of the illegal regime created in the occupied Azerbaijani territories, and the event promoting the fictitious regime in the US Congress, Hikmat Hajiyev, spokesman for Azerbaijan’s Foreign Ministry told APA.
Hajiyev said that Ambassador Cekuta received a note of protest, sent by Azerbaijan’s Ministry of Foreign Affairs to the U.S. Department of State.
Azerbaijan’s ambassador to the US also held a meeting at the State Department to express the Azerbaijani side’s protest, the spokesman added.
The note reads that the fact that Bako Sahakyan, a resident of the Khankendi town of Azerbaijan’s Nagorno-Karabakh conflict, has obtained a visa to enter the US territory by presenting false information with an Armenian passport and has been given a permit to hold events in corresponding US institutions aimed at propagating the illegal regime and raising funds in the US in order to aid the occupation of Azerbaijani territories runs contrary to the norms and principles of international law, the UN Security Council resolutions, bilateral documents signed between Azerbaijan and the US, and the US official position, Hajiyev said.
He added that this step by the US is regarded as an activity against the territorial integrity and sovereignty of Azerbaijan.
“The note also says that the US must fulfill its commitments in compliance with the norms and principles of international law and prevent any action in its territory aimed against the territorial integrity and sovereignty of Azerbaijan. While the US and Azerbaijan have partnership relations in other areas, such a surprising step by the US is considered a biased attitude and a change in its position regarding the Armenia-Azerbaijan Nagorno-Karabakh conflict,” the spokesman said.
The creation of opportunity for the entry of representatives of a fictional regime, created as a result of military aggression and bloody ethnic cleansing against Azerbaijan, into the US while the US introduces special sanctions against other separatist regimes in the post-Soviet area, is a manifestation of dual standards,” Hajiyev emphasized.
The US, as a permanent member of the UN Security Council, must comply with the requirements of the relevant resolutions adopted by the UN Security Council and, in this context, try to withdraw Armenian troops from the occupied territories of Azerbaijan and return Azerbaijani IDPs to their native lands, the spokesman added.
“On one hand, the US calls for a settlement of the conflict through negotiations, and on the other hand, creates opportunities for propaganda of the illegal regime and turns a blind eye to illegal acts in the occupied territories of Azerbaijan, which raises serious questions about the impartiality and objectivity of the United States. This step of the US seriously harms the negotiation process, efforts to ensure sustainable peace and security and serves to escalation of the situation in the region,” Hajiyev noted.
He added that by taking such a step, the US has damaged the attitude of the Azerbaijani people and public towards this country.
“As a response to such behavior of the US, Azerbaijan will proceed from the principle of reciprocity in relations with the US,” Hajiyev stressed.
Related news releases
- 19.03.2018Turkish FM to visit Azerbaijan in April
- 19.03.2018Azerbaijani official: Presidential election in Russia was transparent, democratic
- 19.03.2018Ilham Aliyev holds phone talk with Vladimir Putin
- 19.03.201883.3% of Azerbaijanis living in Russia voted for Putin
- 19.03.2018Iranian citizens to receive visas at Azerbaijani airports
- 19.03.2018President Ilham Aliyev congratulates Vladimir Putin on winning presidential election
- 18.03.2018President Ilham Aliyev met with OPEC Secretary General - UPDATED
- 18.03.2018President of Moldova: "Global dialogues in Azerbaijan contribute to the reduction of international tension"
- 17.03.2018President Ilham Aliyev congratulates Chinese counterpart on re-election as President
- 17.03.2018Two panels held on third day of 6th Global Baku Forum
- 16.03.2018China’s foreign policy mulled at 6th Global Baku Forum
- 16.03.2018Azerbaijani, Jordanian FMs exchange letters marking 25th anniversary of diplomatic ties
- 16.03.2018President Ilham Aliyev receives president of Paraguayan Senate - UPDATED
- 16.03.2018Security in the Balkans discussed at Global Baku Forum
- 16.03.2018Moldova nearing solution to Transnistrian conflict: President Dodon
- 16.03.2018Gennady Burbulis: I hope Azerbaijan, Armenia will come to agreement
- 16.03.2018Ex-PM Lagumdzija: Azerbaijani president’s visit to Bosnia and Herzegovina to open new page for co-op in many areas
- 16.03.2018Moldovan president: Geopolitical competition on the rise worldwide
- 16.03.2018South-West transport corridor project has great future, says Azerbaijani FM
- 16.03.2018Albania stands by Azerbaijan in Karabakh conflict – president
- 16.03.2018Situation in Middle East discussed at 6th Global Baku Forum
- 16.03.2018Turkish MFA: Zurich protocols benefited Armenia more than Turkey
- 16.03.2018Albania, Azerbaijan enjoy good relations: ex-president
- 16.03.2018Some states testing new weapons in Syria, ex-Lebanese PM claims
- 16.03.2018Working group set up to bring Azerbaijani citizens back from Iraq
- 16.03.2018Azerbaijani FM stresses need for reforms in UN
- 16.03.2018Turkish MP’s health deteriorates during speech at Global Baku Forum
- 16.03.2018Lebanon’s ex-PM: Unresolved Palestinian conflict lies at root of developments in region
- 15.03.2018President Ilham Aliyev receives Iranian FM - UPDATED
- 15.03.2018US Ambassador to Azerbaijan Cekuta to leave his position in late March
- 15.03.2018President Ilham Aliyev meets with member of Bosnia and Herzegovina Presidency - UPDATED
- 15.03.2018President Ilham Aliyev presents “Dostlug” Order to UNESCO goodwill ambassador
- 15.03.2018First VP Mehriban Aliyeva meets president of Marianna V. Vardinoyannis Foundation
- 15.03.2018First VP Mehriban Aliyeva meets Italian Senate's VP
- 15.03.2018Azerbaijani president meets with Albanian counterpart - UPDATED
- 15.03.2018Ilham Aliyev sends congratulatory letter to Angela Merkel
- 15.03.2018Azerbaijan’s First VP Mehriban Aliyeva meets with Turkish PM
- 15.03.2018Respect for int’l law will further strengthen respect for territorial integrity of countries: Iranian FM
- 15.03.2018Former US envoy to UN: Conflicts around the world will increase
- 15.03.2018Georgia to host next meeting of Azerbaijani, Georgian, Iranian and Turkish FMs
- 12.03.2018Ilham Aliyev: Azerbaijan-Georgia co-op is successful not only in region, but also on a global level - UPDATED
- 12.03.2018Azerbaijan says its military exercises in sovereign territories in line with Vienna Document
- 12.03.2018Council of Europe Secretary General offers condolences to President Ilham Aliyev
- 12.03.2018Ilham Aliyev: Upcoming presidential election will reflect Azerbaijani people’s will - UPDATED
- 12.03.2018Azerbaijani MFA releases information on preparation for presidential election
- 12.03.2018Georgian PM arrives in Azerbaijan