Azerbaijani MPs slam Georgia’s intention to provide Armenia with access to Russia
The statement by Georgia’s prime minister about the possibility of providing Armenia with access to Russia through Georgia’s territory has aroused a protest at a plenary session of the Azerbaijani Parliament on Friday.
MP Faraj Guliyev called on the parliament to protest against this issue in a formal way.
Lawmaker Gudrat Hasanguliyev, recalling major projects between Azerbaijan and Georgia, said that Azerbaijan should not remain silent. He urged that the Georgian ambassador be summoned to the Azerbaijani Foreign Ministry and asked for an explanation.
MP Aflatun Amashov noted that by allows this, Georgia actually recognize violation of its own territorial integrity.
Another MP Aytan Mustafayeva also slammed the Georgian PM's statement.
Speaker Ogtay Asadov also noted that Georgian experts have warned against taking a step against the nature of strategic alliance with Azerbaijan.
"It is possible that somebody in Georgia wants to break our relations. But I do not believe that the Georgian authorities will take that step. We have drawn the Kars railway, from which Georgia is also benefiting. We’ll tell the friendship group to investigate the issue,” he added.
The Georgian government has signed a contract with the Swiss company SGS to transport cargoes to Russia through its territory, and, if needed, through the uncontrolled Zhinvali region. Prime Minister Giorgi Kvirikashvili said that in case of an emergency at the Kazbegi-Yukhari Lars customs checkpoint, the cargo would be transported via the specified route.
"No item of this contract has been directed against Georgia's interests. The issue is, if a force majeure—such as heavy snow or landslide—occurs at the Yukhari Lars customs checkpoint, the route in the direction of Zhinvali can be used. This corridor can be used by other countries, by Turkey and Armenia, as well as other countries benefiting from our country’s transit potential. However, this is still a unilateral signing. We continue negotiating, because there are some conditions put forward by Russia that are unacceptable to us," Kvirikashvili said in his speech to the Georgian parliament.
Related news releases
- 26.04.2018Angela Merkel congratulates President Ilham Aliyev
- 25.04.2018Romanian president congratulates Azerbaijani president
- 25.04.2018President Ilham Aliyev completes official visit to Turkey
- 25.04.2018Ilham Aliyev: Turkey-Azerbaijan joint projects are of great economic and political significance
- 25.04.2018President Aliyev: Azerbaijan is increasing its military power also at expense of Turkish defense products
- 25.04.2018Turkey is one of world’s powers: Azerbaijani president
- 25.04.2018Ilham Aliyev: Azerbaijan-Turkey brotherhood, friendship has great future
- 25.04.2018Azerbaijan, Turkey ink six documents
- 25.04.2018Erdogan says hopes he will make first foreign visit to Azerbaijan as president after June 24 elections
- 25.04.2018Ankara hosts Azerbaijan-Turkey High-Level Strategic Cooperation Council meeting
- 25.04.2018Israeli envoy visits Guba Genocide Memorial Complex
- 25.04.2018Turkish parliament speaker: Ilham Aliyev is important person for region and whole world
- 25.04.2018Meeting of Azerbaijani, Turkish presidents kicks off in Ankara
- 25.04.2018Azerbaijani president officially welcomed in Ankara
- 25.04.2018President Ilham Aliyev visits Anitkabir in Ankara
- 25.04.2018Ilham Aliyev: No countries in world are as close to each other as Azerbaijan and Turkey
- 25.04.2018Azerbaijani, Turkish presidents dined together
- 24.04.2018President Ilham Aliyev visits Heydar Aliyev Park in Ankara
- 24.04.2018Azerbaijani president arrives in Turkey on official visit
- 24.04.2018UN secretary general congratulates President Ilham Aliyev
- 24.04.2018France’s Macron congratulates President Ilham Aliyev on presidential election victory
- 24.04.2018Azerbaijan’s consul general addresses Los Angeles Baha’i community
- 24.04.2018President Ilham Aliyev receives Russian foreign intelligence chief
- 23.04.2018Azarbaijan's president to visit Turkey on Tuesday
- 23.04.2018Samad Seyidov: I’ve been in PACE for 18 years and no one can accuse me of corruption
- 23.04.2018Azerbaijani president offers condolences to Afghan counterpart
- 23.04.2018Pakistani president congratulates Ilham Aliyev
- 23.04.2018Israeli PM Netanyahu congratulates President Ilham Aliyev
- 23.04.2018Russian minister: Stability in Azerbaijan is of great importance
- 23.04.2018PACE spring session kicks off today
- 21.04.2018Georgian PM congratulates Novruz Mammadov
- 21.04.2018TANAP, TAP to play important role in ensuring Europe’s energy security – Turkish minister
- 21.04.2018Plight of Azerbaijani IDPs to be highlighted at PACE spring session
- 20.04.2018Baku: Belgian MPs’ acting as supporters of Kaspar Karampetian causes regret
- 20.04.2018Azerbaijani Emergency Situations Ministry hosts meeting with foreign military attaches
- 20.04.2018King of Saudi Arabia congratulates President Ilham Aliyev
- 20.04.2018Miroslav Lajčák: UN’s success in preventing conflict should be the norm – not the exception
- 20.04.2018German president congratulates Ilham Aliyev on re-election as Azerbaijani president
- 19.04.2018Mohammed VI, King of Morocco congratulates Ilham Aliyev on re-election as Azerbaijani president
- 19.04.2018Zakharova: We're glad that there is an unbiased view of Skripal issue in Azerbaijan
- 29.12.2017President Ilham Aliyev receives letter from Georgian counterpart
- 30.12.2017Putin congratulates Azerbaijani president
- 30.12.2017We hope that conflict between Azerbaijan and Armenia will be resolved in 2018 – Iranian spokesman
- 29.12.2017Ambassador: Azerbaijan-Georgia economic cooperation yet to reach its potential - INTERVIEW
- 28.12.2017Azerbaijan condemns missile attacks against Saudi Arabia
- 28.12.2017Azerbaijani president to visit Belarus