Azerbaijani President: Azerbaijan is ready to make efforts to expand the bilateral ties with the EU
The head of state recalled his recent visit to Brussels, saying fruitful discussions and negotiations were held during the trip. He noted that these negotiations once again demonstrated a joint approach to the issue of further expansion of bilateral cooperation.
President Ilham Aliyev described as symbolic the fact that the negotiations on a new agreement on Azerbaijan-EU partnership started the next day after the visit, adding that the negotiations successfully continue.
Describing Azerbaijan as a reliable partner for the EU, the head of state noted that this relationship is of strategic nature and is aimed at long- term targets. He noted that bilateral cooperation continues in an atmosphere of stability and security.
President Ilham Aliyev ponited out that the agenda of cooperation with the EU includes a wide range of issues as political dialogue, economic cooperation, and the issues covering the energy sector, hailing Azerbaijan's readiness to make efforts to expand the bilateral ties.
EU Commissioner for the European Neighbourhood Policy and Enlargement Negotiations Johannes Hahn congratulated President Ilham Aliyev on the occasion of the National Salvation Day. The EU Commissioner described President Ilham Aliyev's recent visit to Brussels as a success. He said that the negotiations on a partnership agreement between Azerbaijan and the EU started just after this visit, adding the negotiations continue in a constructive spirit. Emphasizing the importance of determining ways of addressing the issues that might affect bilateral relationship, Johannes Hahn underlined the mutual interest in developing bilateral ties in the years ahead. He said the EU is interested that there is stability in the neighboring countries, adding that Azerbaijan plays an important role in the region and in a broader area in this regard.
They discussed the simplification of visa regime between Azerbaijan and the European Union, as well as the state of cooperation in the fields of energy and transportation, and hailed good prospects in these areas.
They also exchanged views on regional issues.
Related news releases
- 18.06.2018Baku: No Azerbaijani nationals among Japan earthquake victims
- 15.06.2018Vice-Speaker: Georgia's failure to attend TANAP opening ceremony was due to domestic political situation in the country
- 14.06.2018Delegation of Nizami Ganjavi International Center meets Israeli defense minister
- 14.06.2018Azerbaijani flag hoisted outside Philadelphia Mayor’s Office
- 13.06.2018Donald Trump congratulates Ilham Aliyev on Eid al-Fitr
- 13.06.2018Process of border delimitation with Georgia ‘relatively passive’, says Azerbaijan
- 13.06.2018Putin: Political co-op between Russia, Azerbaijan is stable
- 13.06.2018Summit of Caspian states planned to be held in first half of August – Azerbaijani diplomat
- 13.06.2018Azerbaijani president to visit Russia again on Aug. 30 – Putin
- 13.06.2018PACE Monitoring Committee to appoint new co-rapporteur on Azerbaijan on June 28
- 13.06.2018PACE to appoint rapporteur for preparation of report on “political prisoners in Azerbaijan”
- 13.06.2018Matthew Bryza: TANAP has turned Azerbaijan into a key player in global energy market - INTERVIEW
- 13.06.2018Azerbaijani President pays working visit to Russia
- 12.06.2018Azerbaijani president to visit Ukraine
- 12.06.2018Azerbaijan invites Ukraine to join Southern Gas Corridor project
- 12.06.2018President Ilham Aliyev meets BP CEO - UPDATED
- 12.06.2018Azerbaijani, Ukrainian presidents meet in Turkey
- 11.06.2018President Ilham Aliyev congratulates Vladimir Putin
- 11.06.2018Azerbaijan grants temporary residence permits to over 3,000 foreigners in May
- 11.06.2018No plan for Azerbaijani, Armenian leaders to meet in Moscow – Yerevan
- 11.06.2018Azerbaijani president to attend FIFA World Cup opening ceremony in Russia
- 10.06.2018President Ilham Aliyev accepted credentials of incoming Bulgarian ambassador - UPDATED
- 10.06.2018President Ilham Aliyev received credentials of incoming Peruvian ambassador - UPDATED
- 10.06.2018President Ilham Aliyev received credentials of incoming Russian ambassador - UPDATED
- 09.06.2018Samad Seyidov: There is possibility of pressure on Azerbaijan under the name of “political prisoner”
- 09.06.2018Azerbaijan plays crucial role in geopolitical, transport and energy issues: ACRE
- 09.06.2018ACRE calls for end to anti-Azerbaijani decisions in Council of Europe
- 09.06.2018Baku Summit of Alliance of Conservatives and Reformists in Europe kicks off
- 08.06.2018President Ilham Aliyev congratulates Queen Elizabeth II
- 08.06.2018Azerbaijan’s Cabinet of Ministers holds expanded meeting
- 08.06.2018Ilham Aliyev receives president of Alliance of Conservatives and Reformists in Europe
- 08.06.2018Azerbaijani FM receives incoming Russian ambassador
- 08.06.2018U.S. welcomes TANAP completion – diplomat
- 08.06.2018Incoming U.S. ambassador to Azerbaijan not named yet, diplomat says
- 08.06.2018Gambia supports Azerbaijan’s position on Karabakh conflict settlement – FM
- 08.06.2018FM: Gambian president resolutely condemns occupation of Azerbaijani lands by Armenia - UPDATED
- 08.06.2018Russia’s new ambassador to Azerbaijan arrives in Baku
- 07.06.2018Queen Elizabeth's birthday celebrated in Baku
- 07.06.2018Azerbaijani president to visit Turkey on June 12
- 07.06.2018U.S. Embassy in Azerbaijan hosts iftar dinner for Masalli women entrepreneurs
- 16.06.2017EU says relations with Azerbaijan entered ‘a new stage’
- 16.06.2017Parl’t deputy speaker: European Parliament’s anti-Azerbaijani resolution causes regret
- 16.06.2017President Ilham Aliyev receives Colombian FM - UPDATED
- 16.06.2017Colombian FM in Azerbaijan for official visit
- 15.06.2017Johannes Hahn: Southern Gas Corridor is a strategic project for EU - INTERVIEW
- 15.06.2017President Ilham Aliyev receives IPU secretary general - UPDATED