Azerbaijani President: Azerbaijan is ready to make efforts to expand the bilateral ties with the EU
The head of state recalled his recent visit to Brussels, saying fruitful discussions and negotiations were held during the trip. He noted that these negotiations once again demonstrated a joint approach to the issue of further expansion of bilateral cooperation.
President Ilham Aliyev described as symbolic the fact that the negotiations on a new agreement on Azerbaijan-EU partnership started the next day after the visit, adding that the negotiations successfully continue.
Describing Azerbaijan as a reliable partner for the EU, the head of state noted that this relationship is of strategic nature and is aimed at long- term targets. He noted that bilateral cooperation continues in an atmosphere of stability and security.
President Ilham Aliyev ponited out that the agenda of cooperation with the EU includes a wide range of issues as political dialogue, economic cooperation, and the issues covering the energy sector, hailing Azerbaijan's readiness to make efforts to expand the bilateral ties.
EU Commissioner for the European Neighbourhood Policy and Enlargement Negotiations Johannes Hahn congratulated President Ilham Aliyev on the occasion of the National Salvation Day. The EU Commissioner described President Ilham Aliyev's recent visit to Brussels as a success. He said that the negotiations on a partnership agreement between Azerbaijan and the EU started just after this visit, adding the negotiations continue in a constructive spirit. Emphasizing the importance of determining ways of addressing the issues that might affect bilateral relationship, Johannes Hahn underlined the mutual interest in developing bilateral ties in the years ahead. He said the EU is interested that there is stability in the neighboring countries, adding that Azerbaijan plays an important role in the region and in a broader area in this regard.
They discussed the simplification of visa regime between Azerbaijan and the European Union, as well as the state of cooperation in the fields of energy and transportation, and hailed good prospects in these areas.
They also exchanged views on regional issues.
Related news releases
- 17.02.2018Baku hosts event in support of Turkey’s Afrin op
- 16.02.2018Azerbaijani FM attends roundtable at Munich Security Conference
- 16.02.2018Azerbaijani MFA: Armenia's speaking of peace is a 'clear hypocrisy'
- 16.02.2018Baku reacts to Russian MFA spokesperson’s remarks
- 16.02.2018Azerbaijani FM to meet with OSCE chairman
- 16.02.2018Azerbaijan invites int’l observers to monitor upcoming presidential election – EU envoy
- 16.02.201854th Munich Security Conference to start today
- 15.02.2018Azerbaijani president: New agreement with EU to create a new co-op format
- 15.02.2018President Ilham Aliyev offers condolences to Donald Trump
- 15.02.2018Azerbaijani president meets with Italian deputy economic development minister
- 15.02.2018Azerbaijani FM to attend Munich Security Conference
- 15.02.2018Summit of Caspian states to take place in 2H18
- 14.02.2018Azerbaijani president sends congratulatory letter to Serbian counterpart
- 14.02.2018GUAM to send observation mission for upcoming presidential election in Azerbaijan
- 14.02.2018Another member of "Music for Peace" project off Azerbaijan’s ‘black list’
- 14.02.2018Azerbaijan excludes another Russian musician from “blacklist”
- 14.02.2018Ali Hasanov: Legal proceedings to be initiated against organizers, executors of anti-Azerbaijani campaign
- 14.02.2018Russian musician Vitaly Vatulya removed from Azerbaijan’s ‘blacklist’
- 14.02.2018FM: Co-op with EU does not affect Azerbaijan’s friendly ties with Russia
- 14.02.2018Council of Europe receives invitations from Azerbaijan to observe technical preparation meetings for presidential election
- 14.02.2018Azerbaijan one of most active members of PACE – CoE Baku Office
- 14.02.2018FM Mammadyarov: Azerbaijan, EU have some divergent views on issues of trade, tariffs and subsidies
- 14.02.2018FM: Azerbaijan attaches great importance to development of strategic partnership with Russia
- 14.02.2018President Ilham Aliyev receives British PM's trade envoy
- 14.02.2018Azerbaijan removes Argentinean musician from ‘blacklist’
- 14.02.2018President Ilham Aliyev receives US delegation
- 14.02.2018British PM's trade envoy arrives in Azerbaijan
- 13.02.2018Azerbaijan invites PACE to observe presidential election
- 13.02.2018Milan court acquits Luca Volontè accused of political corruption linked to Azerbaijan
- 13.02.2018CIS Inter-Parliamentary Assembly to observe presidential election in Azerbaijan
- 13.02.2018President Ilham Aliyev receives Formula 1 Group CEO
- 12.02.2018Azerbaijan sends invitation to ODIHR for observation of presidential election
- 12.02.2018Azerbaijani FM meets with delegation of Holy See
- 12.02.2018Azerbaijani president offers condolences to Russian counterpart
- 10.02.2018Azerbaijani president sends congratulatory letter to Iranian counterpart
- 10.02.2018President Ilham Aliyev receives delegation of Holy See - UPDATED
- 09.02.2018Azerbaijani Ambassador to Estonia met with Vice-Mayor of Tallinn
- 09.02.2018Azerbaijan, EU agree to create mechanism for dialogue on security and energy issues
- 09.02.2018EU’s Mogherini reiterates importance of respect for fundamental freedoms, human rights
- 09.02.2018Azerbaijan says 2017 proved to be productive for advancement of co-op with EU
- 16.06.2017EU says relations with Azerbaijan entered ‘a new stage’
- 16.06.2017Parl’t deputy speaker: European Parliament’s anti-Azerbaijani resolution causes regret
- 16.06.2017President Ilham Aliyev receives Colombian FM - UPDATED
- 16.06.2017Colombian FM in Azerbaijan for official visit
- 15.06.2017Johannes Hahn: Southern Gas Corridor is a strategic project for EU - INTERVIEW
- 15.06.2017President Ilham Aliyev receives IPU secretary general - UPDATED