Baku to host Heart of Asia – Istanbul Process 7th Ministerial Conference
The “Heart of Asia” – Istanbul Process (HoA IP) 7th Ministerial Conference will be held in Baku, Azerbaijan under the theme “Security and Economic Connectivity towards a Strengthened Heart of Asia Region” between November 30 and December 1, 2017.
HoA IP Participating and Supporting countries and Organizations will take part at the 7th Ministerial Conference, which will be preceded by a Senior Officials Meeting (SOM) on November 30, 2017, the Azerbaijani Foreign Ministry told APA.
HoA IP 6th Ministerial Conference held in Amritsar, India on 4 December 2016 in its final Amritsar Declaration welcomed the willingness of the Republic of Azerbaijan to host the next Ministerial Conference of the HoA IP as Co-chair along with Afghanistan in 2017.
Within the Co-chairmanship of Azerbaijan of the HoA IP Senior Officials Meeting of HoA IP was held in Baku on March 17, 2017.
HoA-IP is an important regional platform for political dialogue and close regional cooperation aimed at promoting stability, peace and prosperity in the Heart of Asia region, and for enhancing Afghanistan's connectivity with the entire region.
HoA-IP participating states are the Islamic Republic of Afghanistan, Republic of Azerbaijan, People's Republic of China, Republic of India, Islamic Republic of Iran, Republic of Kazakhstan, Kyrgyz Republic, Islamic Republic of Pakistan, Russian Federation, Kingdom of Saudi Arabia, Republic of Tajikistan, Republic of Turkey, Turkmenistan, the United Arab Emirates, and the United Nations. The process is also supported by wide range of other countries and international and regional organizations. Having strong intention to contribute to regional peace, stability and prosperity and the traditional bonds of friendship with Afghanistan, Azerbaijan has joined HoA-IP in 2012.
With a view to integrating Afghanistan into the regional economy and reviving trade with its neighbors and beyond through increased regional connectivity Azerbaijan is engaged in active cooperation with Afghanistan. As the co-lead country together with Turkmenistan in the Regional Infrastructure Confidence Building Measures (CBM) of the Istanbul process, Azerbaijan will continue working with Afghanistan and other partners in this field. The next meeting of the regional technical group of the Regional Infrastructure CBM will be held in Baku on 27 November 2017.
The ongoing regional connectivity projects initiated by Azerbaijan, including, recently launched Baku-Tbilisi-Kars railroad, the new Baku International Sea Trade Port, logistics center on the shores of the Caspian Sea, linking up railway networks of Azerbaijan and Islamic Republic of Iran represent qualitatively new achievement in developing trans-regional infrastructure with multi-modal capabilities along the East-West and North-South axes. These projects will facilitate Afghanistan’s access to global markets and provide connectivity in the region, capable of handling cargo and containers in a much shorter, faster, efficient and cost-effective way.
As the co-lead-country together with the Russian Federation in the Counter-Narcotics CBM of the Istanbul process, Azerbaijan works with Afghanistan and other partners in addressing illicit drug trafficking, which is indeed a grave threat to the region. The next meeting of the Counter-Narcotics CBM regional technical group is planned to take place on 10 November 2017 in Baku.
Through bilateral channels, Azerbaijan shares its experience with Afghanistan, and provides training assistance in good governance, defense, law-enforcement and mine action fields.
Azerbaijan also contributes to the post-ISAF “Resolute Support Mission” of NATO by providing troops, multimodal transit, training and financial assistance. Azerbaijan has already made donations to the Afghanistan National Army Trust Fund and pledged to continue to support this Fund.
As a Co-chair of Heart of Asia-Istanbul Process and host of 7th Ministerial Conference, Azerbaijan remains committed to supporting further the stabilization, peaceful reconstruction and development of Afghanistan through bilateral efforts as well as within HoA-IP and other multilateral platforms.
Related news releases
- 22.03.2018President Ilham Aliyev sends letter to Pakistani counterpart
- 22.03.2018PACE co-rapporteurs to observe presidential election in Azerbaijan
- 19.03.2018Turkish FM to visit Azerbaijan in April
- 19.03.2018Azerbaijani official: Presidential election in Russia was transparent, democratic
- 19.03.2018Ilham Aliyev holds phone talk with Vladimir Putin
- 19.03.201883.3% of Azerbaijanis living in Russia voted for Putin
- 19.03.2018Iranian citizens to receive visas at Azerbaijani airports
- 19.03.2018President Ilham Aliyev congratulates Vladimir Putin on winning presidential election
- 18.03.2018President Ilham Aliyev met with OPEC Secretary General - UPDATED
- 18.03.2018President of Moldova: "Global dialogues in Azerbaijan contribute to the reduction of international tension"
- 17.03.2018President Ilham Aliyev congratulates Chinese counterpart on re-election as President
- 17.03.2018Two panels held on third day of 6th Global Baku Forum
- 16.03.2018China’s foreign policy mulled at 6th Global Baku Forum
- 16.03.2018Azerbaijani, Jordanian FMs exchange letters marking 25th anniversary of diplomatic ties
- 16.03.2018President Ilham Aliyev receives president of Paraguayan Senate - UPDATED
- 16.03.2018Security in the Balkans discussed at Global Baku Forum
- 16.03.2018Moldova nearing solution to Transnistrian conflict: President Dodon
- 16.03.2018Gennady Burbulis: I hope Azerbaijan, Armenia will come to agreement
- 16.03.2018Ex-PM Lagumdzija: Azerbaijani president’s visit to Bosnia and Herzegovina to open new page for co-op in many areas
- 16.03.2018Moldovan president: Geopolitical competition on the rise worldwide
- 16.03.2018South-West transport corridor project has great future, says Azerbaijani FM
- 16.03.2018Albania stands by Azerbaijan in Karabakh conflict – president
- 16.03.2018Situation in Middle East discussed at 6th Global Baku Forum
- 16.03.2018Turkish MFA: Zurich protocols benefited Armenia more than Turkey
- 16.03.2018Albania, Azerbaijan enjoy good relations: ex-president
- 16.03.2018Some states testing new weapons in Syria, ex-Lebanese PM claims
- 16.03.2018Working group set up to bring Azerbaijani citizens back from Iraq
- 16.03.2018Azerbaijani FM stresses need for reforms in UN
- 16.03.2018Turkish MP’s health deteriorates during speech at Global Baku Forum
- 16.03.2018Lebanon’s ex-PM: Unresolved Palestinian conflict lies at root of developments in region
- 15.03.2018President Ilham Aliyev receives Iranian FM - UPDATED
- 15.03.2018US Ambassador to Azerbaijan Cekuta to leave his position in late March
- 15.03.2018President Ilham Aliyev meets with member of Bosnia and Herzegovina Presidency - UPDATED
- 15.03.2018President Ilham Aliyev presents “Dostlug” Order to UNESCO goodwill ambassador
- 15.03.2018First VP Mehriban Aliyeva meets president of Marianna V. Vardinoyannis Foundation
- 15.03.2018First VP Mehriban Aliyeva meets Italian Senate's VP
- 15.03.2018Azerbaijani president meets with Albanian counterpart - UPDATED
- 15.03.2018Ilham Aliyev sends congratulatory letter to Angela Merkel
- 15.03.2018Azerbaijan’s First VP Mehriban Aliyeva meets with Turkish PM
- 15.03.2018Respect for int’l law will further strengthen respect for territorial integrity of countries: Iranian FM
- 06.11.2017President Ilham Aliyev sends letter to Donald Trump
- 07.11.2017MFA: Azerbaijan condemns missile attack against Saudi Arabia
- 07.11.2017Ilham Aliyev: Work on new Azerbaijan-EU deal progressing very positively - UPDATED
- 06.11.2017Azerbaijani FM in Sweden on official visit
- 03.11.2017Russian FM, OSCE Secretary General meet in Moscow
- 03.11.2017Ilham Aliyev: Armenian lobby tries to impede fair resolution of Karabakh conflict