Azerbaijan says new deal with EU creates important framework for comprehensive development of ties
A new agreement expected to be signed between Azerbaijan and the European Union covers the political, economic, transport, energy, humanitarian and other areas, and creates an important framework for the comprehensive development of bilateral relations, said Azerbaijan’s Foreign Minister Elmar Mammadyarov.
Mammadyarov made the remarks at a meeting with Deputy Secretary General for Political Affairs - Political Director for the European External Action Service (EEAS) Jean-Christophe Belliard in Baku on Tuesday, the Azerbaijani Foreign Ministry told APA.
The sides discussed the development of cooperation between Azerbaijan and the EU, as well as exchanged views on the course of the negotiations on the draft agreement on strategic partnership.
They also emphasized the successful advancement of the negotiations on an open skies agreement between the EU and Azerbaijan.
Jean-Christophe Belliard praised the stability in Azerbaijan, economic reforms carried out in the country, as well as the activities of ASAN Service.
The sides also touched upon the recent visit of the delegation of the EU Committee for Political and Security, and ambassadors of EU member states accredited at the Committee, the reception of the delegation by the Azerbaijani president and extensive discussions held between them. They stressed that this visit will make an important contribution to the development of dialogue between Azerbaijan and the EU.
Mammadyarov also provided information on the negotiation process for the settlement of the Armenia-Azerbaijan Nagorno-Karabakh conflict.
He underlined that for an early settlement of the conflict and change of the unacceptable status quo, Armenia must withdraw its troops with the occupied Azerbaijani territories in accordance with the UN Security Council resolutions.
Moreover, the sides exchanged views on topical issues on the international agenda, as well as on the upcoming Eastern Partnership Summit.
Related news releases
- 23.02.2018Moldovan president to visit Azerbaijan
- 23.02.2018U.S. aims to help Azerbaijan become a strong, prosperous state: Ambassador Cekuta
- 23.02.2018First VP Mehriban Aliyeva meets with head of Iran's Islamic Culture and Relations Organization
- 23.02.2018Erdogan: 415 sq km now under control in Afrin operation
- 23.02.2018Azerbaijan calls Dutch parliament’s decision ‘biased’
- 23.02.2018Film on Khojaly Genocide screened in California
- 22.02.2018OSCE PA special rep. on South Caucasus resigns
- 22.02.2018Ceremony of laying first border markers on Azerbaijani-Russian border held - UPDATED
- 22.02.2018Azerbaijan's FM to address UN Human Rights Council's session
- 22.02.2018MFA: Appeals sent to int'l organizations for monitoring Azerbaijan presidential election
- 22.02.2018Azerbaijan, Russia mulling border demarcation
- 22.02.2018Azerbaijani MFA, Prosecutor General’s Office issue joint statement on Sumgayit disturbances
- 21.02.2018Envoy Cekuta: U.S. supports transparent and credible electoral process
- 21.02.2018Ilham Aliyev receives ex-president of Dutch Senate
- 21.02.2018Azerbaijani president receives Iran’s defense minister
- 21.02.2018Baku reacts to statement of French Foreign Ministry
- 20.02.2018Sergey Lebedev to lead CIS observation mission in Azerbaijan presidential election - UPDATED
- 20.02.2018Outgoing Czech ambassador to Azerbaijan to serve as envoy to Russia
- 19.02.2018Azerbaijan names new ambassador to Jordan
- 19.02.2018Azerbaijan appoints new consul in Batumi
- 19.02.2018Azerbaijan, Turkmenistan mull energy cooperation
- 19.02.2018Montenegrin president to attend 6th Global Baku Forum
- 19.02.2018ODIHR needs assessment mission to arrive in Baku on Feb. 21 - UPDATED
- 19.02.2018PACE to decide on sending mission for observation of Azerbaijan presidential election in mid-March
- 19.02.2018Ilham Aliyev: Armenia’s hypocritical position is key impediment to achieving progress in Karabakh talks - UPDATED
- 19.02.2018EU special rep. for South Caucasus arrives in Baku
- 17.02.2018Baku hosts event in support of Turkey’s Afrin op
- 16.02.2018Azerbaijani FM attends roundtable at Munich Security Conference
- 16.02.2018Azerbaijani MFA: Armenia's speaking of peace is a 'clear hypocrisy'
- 16.02.2018Baku reacts to Russian MFA spokesperson’s remarks
- 16.02.2018Azerbaijani FM to meet with OSCE chairman
- 16.02.2018Azerbaijan invites int’l observers to monitor upcoming presidential election – EU envoy
- 16.02.201854th Munich Security Conference to start today
- 15.02.2018Azerbaijani president: New agreement with EU to create a new co-op format
- 15.02.2018President Ilham Aliyev offers condolences to Donald Trump
- 15.02.2018Azerbaijani president meets with Italian deputy economic development minister
- 15.02.2018Azerbaijani FM to attend Munich Security Conference
- 15.02.2018Summit of Caspian states to take place in 2H18
- 14.02.2018Azerbaijani president sends congratulatory letter to Serbian counterpart
- 14.02.2018GUAM to send observation mission for upcoming presidential election in Azerbaijan
- 10.10.2017Kurdistan referendum was a wrong step: Iraqi diplomat
- 10.10.2017Stella Kyriakides elected new PACE President
- 10.10.2017Candidate for the post of UNESCO Director General Polad Bulbuloglu left the election race
- 09.10.2017Date of Erdogan’s visit to Azerbaijan revealed
- 09.10.2017Ilham Aliyev: Azerbaijan has very positive reputation on international arena
- 09.10.2017Azerbaijani delegation head voices pessimism about future of PACE