Hikmat Hajiyev responds to anti-Azerbaijan article
Spokesman for Azerbaijan's Ministry of Foreign Affairs Hikmat Hajiyev has responded to the article "In the shadow of war: Life in Armenia’s defensive corridor" published on New York based Eurasianet.org on June 22, 2018.
“In the shadow of war: Life in Armenia’s defensive corridor,” dated June 22, 2018, reflects only views of one side in the conflict between Armenia and Azerbaijan and fails to provide objective historical information on the Zangazur region. I am profoundly regretful that the authors pass in silence over the atrocities committed against the indigenous Azerbaijani-Muslim population of the region. I also completely disagree with the illustration of Garegin Nzhdeh’s personality in the article.
Azerbaijan's state archive possess numerous documents from the Azerbaijan Democratic Republic's Extraordinary Investigation Commission on massacres perpetrated against Azerbaijanis in Zangazur region between 1918-1920 by the Armenian paramilitary groups headed by Nzhdeh and others. At the time, the Azerbaijan Democratic Republic even sent a démarche to the commander of British Forces in the Caucasus to take actions to cease the mass murder of Azerbaijani civilians. According to the findings of the Extraordinary Investigative Commission, as a result of Nzhdeh's “scorched earth” policy, more than 10,000 Azerbaijani civilians in Zangazur region were killed and 115 Azerbaijani villages razed to the ground. The Azerbaijani populations of Goycha and Yerevan regions suffered the same tragic destiny as well.
Due to the demographic change following the mass murder and ethnic cleansing of Azerbaijanis, the Bolsheviks rendered the Zangazur region to the Armenian Soviet Socialist Republic after their occupation of the Caucasus. The artificiality of Nakhchivan’s geographic separation from mainland Azerbaijan is more than obvious with unarmed eyes.
During the Second World War, Nzhdeh joined the ranks of Nazi Germany and conducted the mass killing of Jews, Ukrainians, Russians and others as one of Hitler's generals. His racist and ultra-chauvinist ideology constitutes the basis of Armenia’s ex-President Serzh Sargisyan’s Republican Party.
In the wake of USSR’s disintegration in the late '80s, a new wave of mass expulsion of Azerbaijanis from Armenia, including from Zangazur and Goycha regions started. It resulted in the establishment of the mono-ethnic state of Armenia. But that is not the end of the story. Since 1991, Armenia has unleashed a war against Azerbaijan and used force to occupy Nagorno-Karabakh and seven adjacent regions of Azerbaijan in the name of building a mythical “Greater Armenia.” More than 700,000 members of the indigenous Azerbaijani population of the occupied regions were subject to notorious ethnic cleansing.
The authors rightly touch upon unemployment and poverty in Syunik region of Armenia. As noted in the article, this deprivation and poverty is a result of mythical “Greater Armenia” and unrealistic ambitions of territorial expansion. Unfortunately, as result of such propaganda, many people in Armenia and the diaspora live with such dreams and become hostage to the past. A fair question would be why the once-busy railroad passing through Mehri and connecting Azerbaijan/Nakhchivan with Armenia and Iran is currently closed? The reason is Armenia’s policy of territorial expansion. In order to get out the current status of self-isolation, Armenia has to cease its territorial claims on its neighbors, withdraw its troops from the occupied lands of Azerbaijan as demanded by the relevant resolutions of the UN Security Council and start to build civil relations with its neighbors. The sooner Armenia understands this reality, the better it will be for the population of Armenia, which can also benefit from the prospects of regional cooperation.” Hikmet Hajiyev responds to Eurasianet.org.
Related news releases
- 20.07.2018Azerbaijani president meets with president of French National Assembly - UPDATED
- 20.07.2018President Ilham Aliyev completed France visit
- 20.07.2018President Ilham Aliyev congratulates King Philippe of Belgium
- 20.07.2018Azerbaijani, French presidents discuss settlement of Nagorno Karabakh conflict - UPDATED
- 20.07.2018President Sergio Mattarella’s visit to Azerbaijan in spotlight of Italian media
- 20.07.2018Mehriban Aliyeva: 177 foreign legal entities carry out illegal economic activities in occupied Azerbaijani lands - UPDATED
- 20.07.2018President Ilham Aliyev meets with SADE director general
- 20.07.2018President Ilham Aliyev meets with Executive VP of Bouygues Travaux Publics
- 20.07.2018Ilham Aliyev: Forms of threats to global security becoming more complex, dangerous
- 20.07.2018President Ilham Aliyev meets with CEO of CIFAL Group
- 20.07.2018President Ilham Aliyev meets with Iveco France president
- 20.07.2018President Ilham Aliyev meets with chairman of Rothschild & Co Supervisory Board
- 20.07.2018President Ilham Aliyev meets with Thales International official
- 20.07.2018President Ilham Aliyev met with Managing Director of Wilmotte & Associes Architectes
- 19.07.2018President Ilham Aliyev met with Chief Executive Officer of SUEZ
- 19.07.2018Azerbaijani President Ilham Aliyev met with President of French Senate
- 19.07.2018Azerbaijani President meets with Airbus vice-president for Eurasia
- 19.07.2018President Ilham Aliyev met with Chairman and CEO of Total
- 19.07.2018President Ilham Aliyev met with Chairman and CEO of Naval Group in Paris
- 19.07.2018Azerbaijani President meets with Executive Chairman of French Institute of International Relations in Paris
- 19.07.2018Azerbaijani president arrives in France
- 19.07.2018Sergio Mattarella: Azerbaijan can become ‘the main hero of a new page’ in development of economic potential of three seas
- 19.07.2018Turkish FM expected to visit Azerbaijan
- 19.07.2018Baku hosts Azerbaijan-Italy business forum
- 19.07.2018Sergio Mattarella: "Italy will remain sincere, resolute and loyal partner to Azerbaijan"
- 19.07.2018President of Azerbaijan: "Cooperation between Azerbaijan and Italy successfully develops in all directions"
- 19.07.2018Azerbaijani President signs order on awarding "Shohrat" Order to Laura Mattarella
- 18.07.2018FMs of Caspian states to meet before summit of heads of state
- 18.07.2018Baku urges foreign journalists to respect Azerbaijan’s territorial integrity
- 18.07.2018OSCE/ODIHR releases final report on Azerbaijan’s presidential election
- 18.07.2018Caspian gas ‘very important’ for Europe – Italian president
- 18.07.2018Azerbaijan, Italy ink bilateral documents
- 18.07.2018Presidents of Azerbaijan, Italy hold expanded meeting
- 18.07.2018Azerbaijani, Italian presidents hold one-on-one meeting
- 18.07.2018Italian president welcomed with official ceremony in Azerbaijan
- 17.07.2018Italian President arrives in Azerbaijan for official visit
- 17.07.2018Russia-Azerbaijan ties ‘on the rise’ – new envoy
- 17.07.2018Date set for summit of Caspian states
- 17.07.2018Date of Azerbaijani president’s visit to Russia rescheduled
- 16.07.2018President Ilham Aliyev congratulates Putin on successful organization of FIFA 2020 World Cup
- 26.06.2018PACE committee appoints rapporteur to prepare report on “political prisoners in Azerbaijan”
- 26.06.2018Samad Seyidov replaced by new co-rapporteur at PACE
- 26.06.2018President Ilham Aliyev receives Turkish chief of General Staff and national defense minister - UPDATED
- 25.06.2018Georgian ambassador to Azerbaijan ends diplomatic mission
- 25.06.2018Samad Seyidov: PACE itself needs reforms
- 25.06.2018President Ilham Aliyev receives chairman of Pakistani Joint Chiefs of Staff Committee - UPDATED