Maros Sefcovic: Azerbaijan is a strategic energy partner for EU - INTERVIEW
Q: What’s your opinion of Azerbaijan’s role in the energy security of Europe? Do you have any details as to how many countries will gain from the Southern Gas Corridor project?
A: Azerbaijan is a very important, strategic energy partner for the European Union. Apart from being a major oil exporter, Azerbaijan's pivotal role is related to its position as a key partner for the realization of the Southern Gas Corridor.
I can confirm that good progress has been achieved on all the projects along the Southern Gas Corridor since I attended the inauguration ceremony of the Trans-Anatolian Pipeline in March 2015 in Kars, Turkey and for the Trans-Adriatic Pipeline in Thessaloniki, Greece in May 2016. Together with our Azerbaijani partners we expect the first gas deliveries by 2018 already to Turkey and by 2020 to the EU.
As part of our efforts to create a resilient Energy Union with a forward-looking climate policy, increasing security, solidarity and trust by diversifying Europe's energy suppliers and routes is central for improving competition and driving down prices for EU consumers. The Southern Gas Corridor plays a key role in our strategy to achieve these objectives.
Q: Is there any work being done to expand the project and have new countries involved?
A: The Southern Gas Corridor is an important project for the entire region of South-East Europe. In order to better coordinate the development of a well-functioning natural gas market in the region we are working closely together with all relevant stakeholders in the recently set up High Level Group on Central and South Eastern Europe Gas Connectivity (CESEC). The completion of the Southern Gas Corridor and the supply with Azerbaijani gas could potentially be an important alternative energy carrier to the entire Western Balkans. We, therefore, work closely together with our partners from the Energy Community Secretariat in Vienna in order to facilitate the development of domestic natural gas infrastructure and necessary interconnection facilities in the region.
Q: What’s Brussels’ attitude towards Iran’s involvement in this project?
A: As part of our efforts to create a resilient Energy Union with a forward-looking climate policy, increasing security, solidarity and trust by diversifying Europe's energy suppliers and routes is central for improving competition and driving down prices for EU consumers. These are our guidelines in all our talks to enhance Europe's energy security with partners from a variety of backgrounds and countries.
Q: You hold constant discussions with Ashgabat on Turkmenistan’s participation in this project? How likely is Turkmenistan to join in?
A: For the European Union the Trans-Caspian Pipeline is an important, complementary element of the Southern Gas Corridor in order to connect the significant gas reserves of Central Asia to the European markets. This is in both sides' interest, both for us here in Europe and for our partners in Turkmenistan. To this end, in 2015 I signed the Ashgabat Declaration with Turkmenistan, Turkey, Azerbaijan and Georgia on the cooperation in the energy field. We all remain committed to the declaration and are in regular contact to explore possibilities of cooperation.
Q: It no secret to you that there are some groups trying to hinder the progress of the TAP project. Who are the masterminds behind? And what is the likelihood of them fulfilling their desire?
A: I can confirm that good progress has been achieved on all the projects along the Southern Gas Corridor since I attended the inauguration ceremony of the Trans-Anatolian Pipeline in March 2015 in Kars, Turkey and for the Trans-Adriatic Pipeline in Thessaloniki, Greece in May 2016. Together with our partners from Azerbaijan we expect the first gas deliveries by 2018 already to Turkey and by 2020 to the EU. We are in constant exchange with all relevant stakeholders and we are confident that we will meet out set targets.
Related news releases
- 21.04.2018Georgian PM congratulates Novruz Mammadov
- 21.04.2018TANAP, TAP to play important role in ensuring Europe’s energy security – Turkish minister
- 21.04.2018Plight of Azerbaijani IDPs to be highlighted at PACE spring session
- 20.04.2018Baku: Belgian MPs’ acting as supporters of Kaspar Karampetian causes regret
- 20.04.2018Azerbaijani Emergency Situations Ministry hosts meeting with foreign military attaches
- 20.04.2018King of Saudi Arabia congratulates President Ilham Aliyev
- 20.04.2018Miroslav Lajčák: UN’s success in preventing conflict should be the norm – not the exception
- 20.04.2018German president congratulates Ilham Aliyev on re-election as Azerbaijani president
- 19.04.2018Mohammed VI, King of Morocco congratulates Ilham Aliyev on re-election as Azerbaijani president
- 19.04.2018Zakharova: We're glad that there is an unbiased view of Skripal issue in Azerbaijan
- 19.04.2018Zakharova: Relations with Azerbaijan a foreign policy priority for Russia
- 19.04.2018Top Russian, NATO generals meet in Baku
- 19.04.2018Military expert: Baku meeting of Russian, NATO generals aimed at preventing ‘threat of a third world war’
- 19.04.2018Steven Seagal congratulates President Ilham Aliyev
- 19.04.2018President Ilham Aliyev offers condolences to George H.W. Bush
- 19.04.2018President Ilham Aliyev receives NATO delegation
- 19.04.2018President Ilham Aliyev receives Russian General Staff Chief
- 19.04.2018Top Russian, NATO generals to meet in Baku
- 19.04.2018President of the Swiss Confederation congratulates Ilham Aliyev
- 19.04.2018President of Hungary congratulates Ilham Aliyev
- 18.04.2018Mammadyarov: Metsamor NPP poses serious threat in terms of smuggling of radioactive materials
- 18.04.2018President Ilham Aliyev congratulates Israeli counterpart
- 18.04.2018Ambassador comments on reports of 3 Azerbaijani women getting death penalty in Iraq
- 18.04.2018Ilham Aliyev: Azerbaijan always focuses on strengthening solidarity between Islamic countries’ youth
- 18.04.2018Lithuanian president congratulates President Ilham Aliyev
- 18.04.2018President Ilham Aliyev receives IAEA chief
- 18.04.2018President Ilham Aliyev meets with youth and sports ministers of OIC countries
- 18.04.2018Azerbaijan appoints ambassador to North Korea
- 18.04.2018Ilham Aliyev: Azerbaijan has achieved great successes on int’l arena over past 15 years
- 18.04.2018Robert Cekuta: Ilham Aliyev’s re-election – positive factor for stability, development
- 18.04.2018President Ilham Aliyev visits Alley of Martyrs
- 17.04.2018Rumen Radev sends congratulatory letter to President Ilham Aliyev
- 17.04.2018ECO Dushanbe communique expresses concern over Karabakh conflict
- 17.04.2018May 28 proclaimed Azerbaijan National Day in Chicago
- 16.04.2018China’s Xi congratulates President Ilham Aliyev
- 16.04.2018Mahmoud Abbas sends congratulatory letter to Ilham Aliyev
- 16.04.2018Azerbaijan to be represented at ECO Foreign Ministers Council meeting
- 16.04.2018Azerbaijan presidential election report to be heard at PACE Bureau meeting
- 16.04.2018Arizona Senate adopts proclamation expressing firm support for Azerbaijan’s territorial integrity
- 14.04.2018CoE Secretary General congratulates President Ilham Aliyev
- 18.12.2017Member countries’ unified position is GUAM’s main achievement – Secretary General
- 18.12.2017Azerbaijan is a very reliable partner for NATO – Hungarian envoy
- 18.12.2017Azerbaijani FM receives outgoing Russian ambassador
- 18.12.2017Nagorno-Karabakh conflict issue raised at GUAM PA session
- 18.12.2017Georgian FM: Conflicts in GUAM countries hamper regional development
- 18.12.2017GUAM achieved stable position in int’l arena – Georgia