OSCE ODIHR, OSCE PA and PACE election observers summoned to Azerbaijani Foreign Ministry
Azerbaijan does not regard the initial report by the observation missions of the OSCE Office for Democratic Institutions and Human Rights (ODIHR), the OSCE Parliamentary Assembly and the Parliamentary Assembly of the Council of Europe (PACE) on the results of the April 11 presidential election as fair and objective, Hikmat Hajiyev, spokesman for Azerbaijan’s Foreign Ministry, told APA.
The observers have already been received at Azerbaijan’s Foreign Ministry, and the Azerbaijani side expressed strong protest to them, Hajiyev noted.
According to the spokesman, the initial report is based more on subjective claims and biased political speculations than on methodological and technical approaches on election observation.
“The claim that the election took place in a limited political environment is totally groundless. All the necessary conditions had been created for candidates to conduct free election campaigns registered in the pre-election process. It is entirely wrong to regard as shortcomings the inactivity of some marginal political forces due to their political weakness or lack of political support or less active campaigns conducted by some other registered candidates,” he added.
The media in Azerbaijan is absolutely free, Hajiyev emphasized. “In the pre-election period, there were even some unethical debates not only in the media but also on social networking site.”
Hajiyev went on to say that the voting process took place in conditions of free treatment of elective subjects and voters, and in general in accordance with the requirements of the law.
“It is impossible to take the mentioned reported seriously if more than 60,000 local and international observers acted without any hindrance on the election day and there was an opportunity to monitor the process online through 1,000 web cameras. Any technical deficiencies and shortcomings on the election day are not exceptions. However, generalizing these technical deficiencies and including such ordinary cases into the entire electoral process are regarded as exceeding the mandate and as a completely biased political approach. When reviewing the preliminary report, one can observe contradictory points between different paragraphs. For example, it is totally incomprehensible that one part of the document expresses appreciation to the Azerbaijani government for the conditions created for international observers, and hails the professional activity of the Central Election Commission, while its other part claims that the election was conducted in a non-transparent manner or that the procedures were not observed,” he said.
Hajiyev noted that such a position demonstrated by the mentioned observation mission is disrespect for millions of Azerbaijani voters who freely exercised their right to vote.
“According to the laws of Azerbaijan, the elections held in the country are primarily organized for citizens of Azerbaijan. The citizens of Azerbaijan once again expressed their political will in the presidential election held in a free, democratic, fair and transparent atmosphere,” he said.
The April 11 presidential election has become another important step towards Azerbaijan’s democratic development and the strengthening of democratic institutions, Hajiyev added.
Related news releases
- 17.07.2018Russia-Azerbaijan ties 'on the rise' – new envoy
- 17.07.2018Date set for summit of Caspian states
- 17.07.2018Date of Azerbaijani president’s visit to Russia rescheduled
- 16.07.2018President Ilham Aliyev congratulates Putin on successful organization of FIFA 2020 World Cup
- 16.07.2018Azerbaijani president sends congratulatory letter to Croatian counterpart
- 16.07.2018President Ilham Aliyev congratulates Macron on France’s World Cup victory
- 16.07.2018Tehran condemns terror attack in Azerbaijan’s Ganja city
- 16.07.2018Traitors try to commit terrorist acts in Azerbaijan under guise of religion – Turkish envoy
- 16.07.2018Azerbaijani official: Impossible to defeat national will
- 14.07.2018Azerbaijani president to pay an official visit to France
- 14.07.2018Mehmet Akarca: Azerbaijan’s anti-FETO fight makes Turkey proud
- 14.07.2018Azerbaijani president offers condolences to Pakistani counterpart
- 13.07.2018Armenia disrespects UN Charter and member states, says Baku
- 13.07.2018Azerbaijani president receives Iranian minister of health and medical education
- 13.07.2018Azerbaijani President attends North Atlantic Council meeting
- 12.07.2018Azerbaijan commends reiterated support by NATO members to its territorial integrity – Baku
- 12.07.2018Azerbaijan’s foreign and defense ministers meet with U.S. secretaries of state and defense - UPDATED
- 12.07.2018President Aliyev meets UN under-secretary-general
- 12.07.2018President Ilham Aliyev attends meeting on NATO mission in Afghanistan
- 12.07.2018President Ilham Aliyev attended reception hosted for leaders of NATO allies and partner nations
- 11.07.2018Azerbaijani, Afghan presidents meet in Brussels
- 11.07.2018MFA: Azerbaijan commends reiterated continuous support by EU to its territorial integrity
- 11.07.2018Aktau to host summit of Caspian states in early August
- 11.07.2018Document on Azerbaijan-EU partnership priorities initialed
- 11.07.2018Azerbaijan to promote real regional co-op during BSEC chairmanship: Foreign Ministry
- 11.07.2018Azerbaijan, EU expected to initial document new partnership priorities
- 11.07.2018Azerbaijan’s successes seriously disturb some foreign circles – MFA
- 10.07.2018President of Azerbaijan pays a visit to Belgium
- 10.07.2018Turkish president ends official visit to Azerbaijan
- 10.07.2018Erdogan: TANAP is a ‘strategic investment’ made in Turkey-Azerbaijan brotherhood
- 10.07.2018President Aliyev: Azerbaijan-Turkey relations stand at highest level
- 10.07.2018Azerbaijani, Turkish presidents hold expanded meeting
- 10.07.2018Erdogan: Turkey-Azerbaijan brotherhood will continue to grow stronger
- 10.07.2018Azerbaijani, Turkish presidents hold one-on-one meeting
- 10.07.2018Erdogan welcomed with official ceremony in Azerbaijan
- 10.07.2018Turkish president arrives in Azerbaijan
- 09.07.2018President Ilham Aliyev: Azerbaijan plans to implement large number of industrial and infrastructure projects - UPDATED
- 09.07.2018Baku: EU-Azerbaijan ties to develop despite position of some forces in European Parliament
- 09.07.2018Azerbaijani PM to attend Erdogan’s inauguration
- 09.07.2018Azerbaijan intends to raise co-op with SCO to higher level – Mammadyarov
- 12.04.2018Mongolian President Battulga phones President Ilham Aliyev
- 12.04.2018Moscow: Some political forces in West had negative opinion on Azerbaijan’s presidential election beforehand
- 13.04.2018Ambassador: China appreciates geographical advantages of Azerbaijan as an important transport hub linking Europe with Asia - INTERVIEW
- 12.04.2018Azerbaijan’s top official criticizes OSCE ODIHR, OSCE PA and PACE election observers
- 12.04.2018Hungarian PM congratulates Ilham Aliyev on his victory in presidential election
- 12.04.2018Ukraine’s Poroshenko phones President Ilham Aliyev