OSCE ODIHR, OSCE PA and PACE election observers summoned to Azerbaijani Foreign Ministry
Azerbaijan does not regard the initial report by the observation missions of the OSCE Office for Democratic Institutions and Human Rights (ODIHR), the OSCE Parliamentary Assembly and the Parliamentary Assembly of the Council of Europe (PACE) on the results of the April 11 presidential election as fair and objective, Hikmat Hajiyev, spokesman for Azerbaijan’s Foreign Ministry, told APA.
The observers have already been received at Azerbaijan’s Foreign Ministry, and the Azerbaijani side expressed strong protest to them, Hajiyev noted.
According to the spokesman, the initial report is based more on subjective claims and biased political speculations than on methodological and technical approaches on election observation.
“The claim that the election took place in a limited political environment is totally groundless. All the necessary conditions had been created for candidates to conduct free election campaigns registered in the pre-election process. It is entirely wrong to regard as shortcomings the inactivity of some marginal political forces due to their political weakness or lack of political support or less active campaigns conducted by some other registered candidates,” he added.
The media in Azerbaijan is absolutely free, Hajiyev emphasized. “In the pre-election period, there were even some unethical debates not only in the media but also on social networking site.”
Hajiyev went on to say that the voting process took place in conditions of free treatment of elective subjects and voters, and in general in accordance with the requirements of the law.
“It is impossible to take the mentioned reported seriously if more than 60,000 local and international observers acted without any hindrance on the election day and there was an opportunity to monitor the process online through 1,000 web cameras. Any technical deficiencies and shortcomings on the election day are not exceptions. However, generalizing these technical deficiencies and including such ordinary cases into the entire electoral process are regarded as exceeding the mandate and as a completely biased political approach. When reviewing the preliminary report, one can observe contradictory points between different paragraphs. For example, it is totally incomprehensible that one part of the document expresses appreciation to the Azerbaijani government for the conditions created for international observers, and hails the professional activity of the Central Election Commission, while its other part claims that the election was conducted in a non-transparent manner or that the procedures were not observed,” he said.
Hajiyev noted that such a position demonstrated by the mentioned observation mission is disrespect for millions of Azerbaijani voters who freely exercised their right to vote.
“According to the laws of Azerbaijan, the elections held in the country are primarily organized for citizens of Azerbaijan. The citizens of Azerbaijan once again expressed their political will in the presidential election held in a free, democratic, fair and transparent atmosphere,” he said.
The April 11 presidential election has become another important step towards Azerbaijan’s democratic development and the strengthening of democratic institutions, Hajiyev added.
Related news releases
- 18.04.2018President Ilham Aliyev congratulates Israeli counterpart
- 18.04.2018Ambassador comments on reports of 3 Azerbaijani women getting death penalty in Iraq
- 18.04.2018Ilham Aliyev: Azerbaijan always focuses on strengthening solidarity between Islamic countries’ youth
- 18.04.2018Lithuanian president congratulates President Ilham Aliyev
- 18.04.2018President Ilham Aliyev receives IAEA chief
- 18.04.2018President Ilham Aliyev meets with youth and sports ministers of OIC countries
- 18.04.2018Azerbaijan appoints ambassador to North Korea
- 18.04.2018Ilham Aliyev: Azerbaijan has achieved great successes on int’l arena over past 15 years
- 18.04.2018Robert Cekuta: Ilham Aliyev’s re-election – positive factor for stability, development
- 18.04.2018President Ilham Aliyev visits Alley of Martyrs
- 17.04.2018Rumen Radev sends congratulatory letter to President Ilham Aliyev
- 17.04.2018ECO Dushanbe communique expresses concern over Karabakh conflict
- 17.04.2018May 28 proclaimed Azerbaijan National Day in Chicago
- 16.04.2018China’s Xi congratulates President Ilham Aliyev
- 16.04.2018Mahmoud Abbas sends congratulatory letter to Ilham Aliyev
- 16.04.2018Azerbaijan to be represented at ECO Foreign Ministers Council meeting
- 16.04.2018Azerbaijan presidential election report to be heard at PACE Bureau meeting
- 16.04.2018Arizona Senate adopts proclamation expressing firm support for Azerbaijan’s territorial integrity
- 14.04.2018CoE Secretary General congratulates President Ilham Aliyev
- 13.04.2018President of European Council Donald Tusk congratulated President Ilham Aliyev
- 13.04.2018Emir of Kuwait congratulates Ilham Aliyev on re-election as Azerbaijani president
- 13.04.2018Euro-Asian Jewish Congress leaders congratulate Azerbaijani president
- 13.04.2018King Abdullah II of Jordan sends congratulatory letter to President Ilham Aliyev
- 13.04.2018Presidents of Azerbaijan, Afghanistan hold phone talk
- 13.04.2018Georgian PM congratulates President Ilham Aliyev
- 13.04.2018Albanian president congratulates Ilham Aliyev on election victory
- 13.04.2018Dagestan leader congratulates President Ilham Aliyev
- 13.04.2018EU makes statement on presidential election in Azerbaijan
- 13.04.2018Turkmen president sends congratulatory letter to Ilham Aliyev
- 13.04.2018Ambassador: China appreciates geographical advantages of Azerbaijan as an important transport hub linking Europe with Asia - INTERVIEW
- 12.04.2018Moscow: Some political forces in West had negative opinion on Azerbaijan’s presidential election beforehand
- 12.04.2018Mongolian President Battulga phones President Ilham Aliyev
- 12.04.2018OSCE ODIHR, OSCE PA and PACE election observers summoned to Azerbaijani Foreign Ministry
- 12.04.2018Azerbaijan’s top official criticizes OSCE ODIHR, OSCE PA and PACE election observers
- 12.04.2018Hungarian PM congratulates Ilham Aliyev on his victory in presidential election
- 12.04.2018Ukraine’s Poroshenko phones President Ilham Aliyev
- 12.04.2018Nursultan Nazarbayev sends congratulatory letter to Ilham Aliyev
- 12.04.2018OSCE/ODIHR, OSCE PA and PACE announce preliminary results of election observation in Azerbaijan
- 12.04.2018Ilham Aliyev: Azerbaijan considers it important to step up efforts to further strengthen CIS
- 12.04.2018Turkey’s Erdogan congratulates President Ilham Aliyev
- 19.04.2018President Ilham Aliyev receives Russian General Staff chief
- 19.04.2018Azerbaijani president meets with top NATO general
- 19.04.2018President of the Swiss Confederation congratulates Ilham Aliyev
- 19.04.2018President of Hungary congratulates Ilham Aliyev
- 18.04.2018Mammadyarov: Metsamor NPP poses serious threat in terms of smuggling of radioactive materials