MP Samad Seyidov accuses Council of Europe of biased attitude towards Azerbaijan
Discussions were held at the Parliamentary Assembly of the Council of Europe (PACE) following the presentation of two reports “The functioning of democratic institutions in Azerbaijan” by Stefan Schennach (Austria, SOC) and Cezar Florin Preda (Romania, EPP/CD), and “Azerbaijan’s Chairmanship of the Council of Europe: What follow-up on respect for human rights?” by Alain Destexhe.
Speakers highly appreciated the reports, an APA correspondent reported from Strasbourg.
Former PACE President Anne Brasseu, other parliamentarians Omtzigt Pieter, Frank Schwabe and Christoph Strässer spoke out against Azerbaijan, calling for the release of Ilgar Mammadov and the solution of the problems of journalists and civil society representatives.
He harshly reacted to the accusations of Dutch MP Omtzigt Pieter.
“Mr. Omtzigt, do not be zealous and do not try to portray yourself as an objective person through your statements and remarks in the name of democracy in Azerbaijan. We know very well which forces are behind you. You’re working together with Armenians. Your objectivity can only be imaginary,” Seyidov said.
Seyidov then accused the Council of Europe of demonstrating a bias attitude towards Azerbaijan and pursuing the policy of double standards in relation to Azerbaijan.
“The Secretary General of the Council of Europe has recently been criticizing Azerbaijan. Instead of demonstrating an equal and unbiased attitude towards all member states, he mentions only one country,” he said, adding. “Why the [secretary general] shows a different attitude towards Russia in order to make it rejoin the organization, but when it comes to us, he acts completely different?”
Vusal Huseynov, a member of the Azerbaijani delegation to PACE, also accused parliamentarians Omtzigt Pieter and Schwabe Frank of representing the interests of Armenian lobby.
Related news releases
- 11.12.2017President Ilham Aliyev receives Russian State Duma delegation
- 09.12.2017Erdogan invites Ilham Aliyev to attend OIC summit on Jerusalem issue
- 08.12.2017President Aliyev appoints Azerbaijan’s honorary consul to Djibouti
- 08.12.2017Azerbaijan appoints new ambassador to Croatia
- 08.12.2017Azerbaijan recalls ambassador from Tajikistan
- 08.12.2017Russia never requested Azerbaijan for agrément for Georgy Zuev - Lavrov
- 08.12.2017President Ilham Aliyev receives credentials of incoming Sudanese ambassador
- 07.12.2017Elmar Mammadyarov attends the meeting of the GUAM Council of MFA
- 07.12.2017“ASAN Service” is a huge revolution in field of public services – Azerbaijani president
- 07.12.2017Israeli Embassy in Baku reacts to protests over Trump’s Jerusalem declaration
- 07.12.2017UK minister of state for trade to visit Azerbaijan
- 07.12.2017Novruz Mammadov: Azerbaijani public concerned over unfair attitude of certain circles in West and Europe
- 07.12.2017Lavrov: Russia will contribute to search for mutually acceptable solutions to Karabakh conflict
- 07.12.2017President Ilham Aliyev arrives in Guba district
- 07.12.2017Azerbaijan supports peaceful settlement of Israeli-Palestinian conflict - Foreign Ministry
- 06.12.2017Ilham Aliyev: Azerbaijan expands partnership with Russia in technology sector
- 06.12.2017Azerbaijani deputy FM: Int’l rules can be applied regarding controversial deposits in Caspian Sea
- 06.12.2017Draft Convention on Caspian status includes preservation of military balance: Azerbaijani MFA
- 06.12.2017Azerbaijani deputy FM reveals Caspian division principles
- 06.12.2017Baku: Draft Convention on Caspian Sea status coordinated
- 06.12.2017President Ilham Aliyev views Bakutel-2017 exhibition
- 06.12.2017Azerbaijani, Armenian FMs to meet in Vienna today
- 05.12.2017Baku host reception on occasion of Japanese Emperor's birthday
- 05.12.2017Azerbaijani president sends congratulatory letter to Finnish counterpart
- 05.12.2017Caspian states plan to hold joint drills – Lavrov
- 05.12.2017Moscow says 20-year work on Caspian Sea legal status ‘finalized’
- 05.12.2017Lavrov: Discussions on all open issues regarding Convention on Caspian Sea legal status yielded result
- 05.12.2017MP Slutsky proposes creating Russia-Azerbaijan-Iran parliamentary troika
- 05.12.2017Samad Seyidov: Azerbaijan ‘not in favor’ of EU integration
- 05.12.2017President Ilham Aliyev receives ITU Sec.Gen. - UPDATED
- 05.12.2017President Ilham Aliyev receives Iranian ICT minister - UPDATED
- 05.12.2017Azerbaijani president receives Turkish delegation - UPDATED
- 05.12.2017Azerbaijani FM: Stability in Caspian region should be based on respect for sovereignty, territorial integrity
- 05.12.2017Lavrov: We’re pleased with level of coop in ‘Caspian Five’
- 05.12.2017Mammadyarov: Moscow meeting will be ‘a good opportunity’ for preparation of convention on Caspian Sea legal status
- 05.12.2017Azerbaijan brings energy security to Europe – MP
- 05.12.2017President Ilham Aliyev receives Russian minister of telecom and mass communications - UPDATED
- 05.12.2017Ministerial meeting of Caspian littoral states gets underway in Moscow
- 04.12.2017Mahmud Mammadguliyev: "Next talks between EU and Azerbaijan on strategic partnership will be held in December"
- 04.12.2017Ziyafat Asgarov: Drugs grown in occupied Azerbaijani territories being transported to whole Europe
- 11.10.2017PACE adopts two resolutions on reports related to Azerbaijan - UPDATED-1
- 11.10.2017CIS summit kicks off in Sochi
- 11.10.2017Samad Seyidov: Resolutions on Azerbaijan adopted today bring shame upon PACE
- 11.10.2017Azerbaijani president in Sochi for CIS summit
- 10.10.2017Candidate for the post of UNESCO Director General Polad Bulbuloglu left the election race
- 10.10.2017Stella Kyriakides elected new PACE President