MP Samad Seyidov accuses Council of Europe of biased attitude towards Azerbaijan
Discussions were held at the Parliamentary Assembly of the Council of Europe (PACE) following the presentation of two reports “The functioning of democratic institutions in Azerbaijan” by Stefan Schennach (Austria, SOC) and Cezar Florin Preda (Romania, EPP/CD), and “Azerbaijan’s Chairmanship of the Council of Europe: What follow-up on respect for human rights?” by Alain Destexhe.
Speakers highly appreciated the reports, an APA correspondent reported from Strasbourg.
Former PACE President Anne Brasseu, other parliamentarians Omtzigt Pieter, Frank Schwabe and Christoph Strässer spoke out against Azerbaijan, calling for the release of Ilgar Mammadov and the solution of the problems of journalists and civil society representatives.
He harshly reacted to the accusations of Dutch MP Omtzigt Pieter.
“Mr. Omtzigt, do not be zealous and do not try to portray yourself as an objective person through your statements and remarks in the name of democracy in Azerbaijan. We know very well which forces are behind you. You’re working together with Armenians. Your objectivity can only be imaginary,” Seyidov said.
Seyidov then accused the Council of Europe of demonstrating a bias attitude towards Azerbaijan and pursuing the policy of double standards in relation to Azerbaijan.
“The Secretary General of the Council of Europe has recently been criticizing Azerbaijan. Instead of demonstrating an equal and unbiased attitude towards all member states, he mentions only one country,” he said, adding. “Why the [secretary general] shows a different attitude towards Russia in order to make it rejoin the organization, but when it comes to us, he acts completely different?”
Vusal Huseynov, a member of the Azerbaijani delegation to PACE, also accused parliamentarians Omtzigt Pieter and Schwabe Frank of representing the interests of Armenian lobby.
Related news releases
- 23.02.2018Moldovan president to visit Azerbaijan
- 23.02.2018U.S. aims to help Azerbaijan become a strong, prosperous state: Ambassador Cekuta
- 23.02.2018First VP Mehriban Aliyeva meets with head of Iran's Islamic Culture and Relations Organization
- 23.02.2018Erdogan: 415 sq km now under control in Afrin operation
- 23.02.2018Azerbaijan calls Dutch parliament’s decision ‘biased’
- 23.02.2018Film on Khojaly Genocide screened in California
- 22.02.2018OSCE PA special rep. on South Caucasus resigns
- 22.02.2018Ceremony of laying first border markers on Azerbaijani-Russian border held - UPDATED
- 22.02.2018Azerbaijan's FM to address UN Human Rights Council's session
- 22.02.2018MFA: Appeals sent to int'l organizations for monitoring Azerbaijan presidential election
- 22.02.2018Azerbaijan, Russia mulling border demarcation
- 22.02.2018Azerbaijani MFA, Prosecutor General’s Office issue joint statement on Sumgayit disturbances
- 21.02.2018Envoy Cekuta: U.S. supports transparent and credible electoral process
- 21.02.2018Ilham Aliyev receives ex-president of Dutch Senate
- 21.02.2018Azerbaijani president receives Iran’s defense minister
- 21.02.2018Baku reacts to statement of French Foreign Ministry
- 20.02.2018Sergey Lebedev to lead CIS observation mission in Azerbaijan presidential election - UPDATED
- 20.02.2018Outgoing Czech ambassador to Azerbaijan to serve as envoy to Russia
- 19.02.2018Azerbaijan names new ambassador to Jordan
- 19.02.2018Azerbaijan appoints new consul in Batumi
- 19.02.2018Azerbaijan, Turkmenistan mull energy cooperation
- 19.02.2018Montenegrin president to attend 6th Global Baku Forum
- 19.02.2018ODIHR needs assessment mission to arrive in Baku on Feb. 21 - UPDATED
- 19.02.2018PACE to decide on sending mission for observation of Azerbaijan presidential election in mid-March
- 19.02.2018Ilham Aliyev: Armenia’s hypocritical position is key impediment to achieving progress in Karabakh talks - UPDATED
- 19.02.2018EU special rep. for South Caucasus arrives in Baku
- 17.02.2018Baku hosts event in support of Turkey’s Afrin op
- 16.02.2018Azerbaijani FM attends roundtable at Munich Security Conference
- 16.02.2018Azerbaijani MFA: Armenia's speaking of peace is a 'clear hypocrisy'
- 16.02.2018Baku reacts to Russian MFA spokesperson’s remarks
- 16.02.2018Azerbaijani FM to meet with OSCE chairman
- 16.02.2018Azerbaijan invites int’l observers to monitor upcoming presidential election – EU envoy
- 16.02.201854th Munich Security Conference to start today
- 15.02.2018Azerbaijani president: New agreement with EU to create a new co-op format
- 15.02.2018President Ilham Aliyev offers condolences to Donald Trump
- 15.02.2018Azerbaijani president meets with Italian deputy economic development minister
- 15.02.2018Azerbaijani FM to attend Munich Security Conference
- 15.02.2018Summit of Caspian states to take place in 2H18
- 14.02.2018Azerbaijani president sends congratulatory letter to Serbian counterpart
- 14.02.2018GUAM to send observation mission for upcoming presidential election in Azerbaijan
- 11.10.2017PACE adopts two resolutions on reports related to Azerbaijan - UPDATED-1
- 11.10.2017CIS summit kicks off in Sochi
- 11.10.2017Samad Seyidov: Resolutions on Azerbaijan adopted today bring shame upon PACE
- 11.10.2017Azerbaijani president in Sochi for CIS summit
- 10.10.2017Candidate for the post of UNESCO Director General Polad Bulbuloglu left the election race
- 10.10.2017Stella Kyriakides elected new PACE President