Multiculturalism should be commonplace in every country, Azerbaijani president says
There is no alternative to multiculturalism, President of Azerbaijan Ilham Aliyev said at an international conference, titled "2017- Year of Islamic Solidarity: Interfaith and Intercultural Dialogue", which kicked off in Baku on Dec. 21, APA reported.
He noted that there are many dangerous tendencies, such as Islamophobia, xenophobia, and anti-Semitism, shaking the world.
“The world sees multiculturalism in Azerbaijan’s example. However, sometimes there are very negative ideas about multiculturalism. Nevertheless, we should all work to preserve and strengthen these values,” said President Aliyev, adding that multiculturalism should become commonplace in every country.
Azerbaijan, which has special relations with Islamic countries within the framework of the Organization of Islamic Cooperation (OIC), also plays an active role within this organization and enjoys great support, said the head of state.
“At the same time, we have close ties with European countries. Azerbaijan signed a document on strategic partnership with 9 EU member states. That is 1/3 of the EU members. We also have strong ties with the European Union. There is serious work on a number of issues,” he said.
The president recalled that since the beginning of this year Azerbaijan and the EU have been working on a new agreement.
“This again reflects the attitude of our country to issues of the international agenda and at the same time our policy,” he said.
The head of state stressed that the Azerbaijani people are very committed to their national and spiritual roots.
"The very national values form the foundation of the independent Azerbaijan state. Our national values are an integral part of universal values," President Aliyev said, noting that Azerbaijan is turning into an irreplaceable country in the inter-religious and intercultural dialogue thanks to its geography, history and past.
“I would also like to note that the state is pursuing and will continue to pursue the policy in this direction. This policy is based on public opinion because the Azerbaijani people live with these feelings and thoughts. Our successful development shows that when inter-religious and intercultural relations are at the right level, then there will be development and stability. All citizens of Azerbaijan are optimistic about the future,” he said.
The president went on to say that another important initiative was put forward by Azerbaijan in 2008.
"As you know, Azerbaijan is also a member of the Council of Europe. When we organized a meeting of ministers of culture of member states of the Council of Europe we decided to invite ministers from the Organization of Islamic Cooperation (OIC) countries. The ministers of the two organizations met in Baku for the first time. A very fruitful meeting was held and a very sincere exchange of views was conducted. We decided that this initiative should be continued,” said President Aliyev. “Next year Azerbaijan hosted an event of ministers of culture of the OIC member countries and invited the ministers of the Council of Europe countries. This initiative later was called Baku Process.”
He announced that the 10th anniversary of Baku Process will be celebrated next year.
“Today the Baku process is developing. Next year we will celebrate the 10th anniversary of the Baku Process which is highly appreciated by all respected international organizations, especially by the UN,” said President Aliyev, calling the Baku Process ‘a rare international platform for the development of relations between the Council of Europe and OIC.
Related news releases
- 26.04.2018Angela Merkel congratulates President Ilham Aliyev
- 25.04.2018Romanian president congratulates Azerbaijani president
- 25.04.2018President Ilham Aliyev completes official visit to Turkey
- 25.04.2018Ilham Aliyev: Turkey-Azerbaijan joint projects are of great economic and political significance
- 25.04.2018President Aliyev: Azerbaijan is increasing its military power also at expense of Turkish defense products
- 25.04.2018Turkey is one of world’s powers: Azerbaijani president
- 25.04.2018Ilham Aliyev: Azerbaijan-Turkey brotherhood, friendship has great future
- 25.04.2018Azerbaijan, Turkey ink six documents
- 25.04.2018Erdogan says hopes he will make first foreign visit to Azerbaijan as president after June 24 elections
- 25.04.2018Ankara hosts Azerbaijan-Turkey High-Level Strategic Cooperation Council meeting
- 25.04.2018Israeli envoy visits Guba Genocide Memorial Complex
- 25.04.2018Turkish parliament speaker: Ilham Aliyev is important person for region and whole world
- 25.04.2018Meeting of Azerbaijani, Turkish presidents kicks off in Ankara
- 25.04.2018Azerbaijani president officially welcomed in Ankara
- 25.04.2018President Ilham Aliyev visits Anitkabir in Ankara
- 25.04.2018Ilham Aliyev: No countries in world are as close to each other as Azerbaijan and Turkey
- 25.04.2018Azerbaijani, Turkish presidents dined together
- 24.04.2018President Ilham Aliyev visits Heydar Aliyev Park in Ankara
- 24.04.2018Azerbaijani president arrives in Turkey on official visit
- 24.04.2018UN secretary general congratulates President Ilham Aliyev
- 24.04.2018France’s Macron congratulates President Ilham Aliyev on presidential election victory
- 24.04.2018Azerbaijan’s consul general addresses Los Angeles Baha’i community
- 24.04.2018President Ilham Aliyev receives Russian foreign intelligence chief
- 23.04.2018Azarbaijan's president to visit Turkey on Tuesday
- 23.04.2018Samad Seyidov: I’ve been in PACE for 18 years and no one can accuse me of corruption
- 23.04.2018Azerbaijani president offers condolences to Afghan counterpart
- 23.04.2018Pakistani president congratulates Ilham Aliyev
- 23.04.2018Israeli PM Netanyahu congratulates President Ilham Aliyev
- 23.04.2018Russian minister: Stability in Azerbaijan is of great importance
- 23.04.2018PACE spring session kicks off today
- 21.04.2018Georgian PM congratulates Novruz Mammadov
- 21.04.2018TANAP, TAP to play important role in ensuring Europe’s energy security – Turkish minister
- 21.04.2018Plight of Azerbaijani IDPs to be highlighted at PACE spring session
- 20.04.2018Baku: Belgian MPs’ acting as supporters of Kaspar Karampetian causes regret
- 20.04.2018Azerbaijani Emergency Situations Ministry hosts meeting with foreign military attaches
- 20.04.2018King of Saudi Arabia congratulates President Ilham Aliyev
- 20.04.2018Miroslav Lajčák: UN’s success in preventing conflict should be the norm – not the exception
- 20.04.2018German president congratulates Ilham Aliyev on re-election as Azerbaijani president
- 19.04.2018Mohammed VI, King of Morocco congratulates Ilham Aliyev on re-election as Azerbaijani president
- 19.04.2018Zakharova: We're glad that there is an unbiased view of Skripal issue in Azerbaijan
- 22.12.2017President Ilham Aliyev sends congratulatory letter to Japanese Emperor
- 23.12.2017Azerbaijani president’s assistant: Threat of separatism is bigger in Europe
- 23.12.2017There was no need for Trump to recognize Jerusalem as Israel’s capital – Azerbaijani official
- 21.12.2017Ilham Aliyev: Azerbaijan always played positive role among civilizations
- 21.12.2017President Ilham Aliyev receives state advisor to Uzbek president
- 21.12.2017Azerbaijani president receives ISESCO director general