Oettinger: Azerbaijan’s sovereignty, independence and territorial integrity important for EU
He noted that Azerbaijan's sovereignty, independence and territorial integrity is important for the EU.
The EU and Azerbaijan are currently working on a new partnership agreement that will replace the cooperation and partnership agreement signed in 1999, said Oettinger.
The EU commissioner hailed Azerbaijan’s policy of economic diversification.
“Half of Azerbaijan’s trade turnover falls on the EU countries. Energy will also play an important role in the coming decades. However, Azerbaijan has great potential in the area of alternative energy,” he said.
Oettinger continued to say that Azerbaijan is contributing to Europe’s energy security through the Southern Gas Corridor.
He emphasized that Azerbaijan intends to become a transport hub and plays an important role in the development of the East-West corridor.
The European commissioner noted that the EU and Azerbaijan is currently negotiating on an aviation agreement.
"We are close to signing the agreement, and the EU-Azerbaijan relations will develop further after signing this agreement," he added.
Related news releases
- 21.07.2018“The visit of the Azerbaijani president to France is extremely important from the point of view of ensuring our national interests”
- 21.07.2018Angela Merkel to visit Azerbaijan
- 20.07.2018Azerbaijani president meets with president of French National Assembly - UPDATED
- 20.07.2018President Ilham Aliyev completed France visit
- 20.07.2018President Ilham Aliyev congratulates King Philippe of Belgium
- 20.07.2018Azerbaijani, French presidents discuss settlement of Nagorno Karabakh conflict - UPDATED
- 20.07.2018President Sergio Mattarella’s visit to Azerbaijan in spotlight of Italian media
- 20.07.2018Mehriban Aliyeva: 177 foreign legal entities carry out illegal economic activities in occupied Azerbaijani lands - UPDATED
- 20.07.2018President Ilham Aliyev meets with SADE director general
- 20.07.2018President Ilham Aliyev meets with Executive VP of Bouygues Travaux Publics
- 20.07.2018Ilham Aliyev: Forms of threats to global security becoming more complex, dangerous
- 20.07.2018President Ilham Aliyev meets with CEO of CIFAL Group
- 20.07.2018President Ilham Aliyev meets with Iveco France president
- 20.07.2018President Ilham Aliyev meets with chairman of Rothschild & Co Supervisory Board
- 20.07.2018President Ilham Aliyev meets with Thales International official
- 20.07.2018President Ilham Aliyev met with Managing Director of Wilmotte & Associes Architectes
- 19.07.2018President Ilham Aliyev met with Chief Executive Officer of SUEZ
- 19.07.2018Azerbaijani President Ilham Aliyev met with President of French Senate
- 19.07.2018Azerbaijani President meets with Airbus vice-president for Eurasia
- 19.07.2018President Ilham Aliyev met with Chairman and CEO of Total
- 19.07.2018President Ilham Aliyev met with Chairman and CEO of Naval Group in Paris
- 19.07.2018Azerbaijani President meets with Executive Chairman of French Institute of International Relations in Paris
- 19.07.2018Azerbaijani president arrives in France
- 19.07.2018Sergio Mattarella: Azerbaijan can become ‘the main hero of a new page’ in development of economic potential of three seas
- 19.07.2018Turkish FM expected to visit Azerbaijan
- 19.07.2018Baku hosts Azerbaijan-Italy business forum
- 19.07.2018Sergio Mattarella: "Italy will remain sincere, resolute and loyal partner to Azerbaijan"
- 19.07.2018President of Azerbaijan: "Cooperation between Azerbaijan and Italy successfully develops in all directions"
- 19.07.2018Azerbaijani President signs order on awarding "Shohrat" Order to Laura Mattarella
- 18.07.2018FMs of Caspian states to meet before summit of heads of state
- 18.07.2018Baku urges foreign journalists to respect Azerbaijan’s territorial integrity
- 18.07.2018OSCE/ODIHR releases final report on Azerbaijan’s presidential election
- 18.07.2018Caspian gas ‘very important’ for Europe – Italian president
- 18.07.2018Azerbaijan, Italy ink bilateral documents
- 18.07.2018Presidents of Azerbaijan, Italy hold expanded meeting
- 18.07.2018Azerbaijani, Italian presidents hold one-on-one meeting
- 18.07.2018Italian president welcomed with official ceremony in Azerbaijan
- 17.07.2018Italian President arrives in Azerbaijan for official visit
- 17.07.2018Russia-Azerbaijan ties ‘on the rise’ – new envoy
- 17.07.2018Date set for summit of Caspian states
- 01.06.2018Israeli PM Netanyahu sends congratulatory letter to President Ilham Aliyev
- 01.06.2018UN secretary-general sends congratulatory letter to Azerbaijani president
- 02.06.2018Azerbaijan’s FM meets with UN secretary-general
- 31.05.2018Brink: U.S. interested in deepening bilateral trade relations with Azerbaijan
- 31.05.2018Oettinger: European Commission to further support Azerbaijan’s projects connecting EU with other regions
- 31.05.2018President of Presidium of DPRK Supreme People’s Assembly sends letter to President Ilham Aliyev