Palestinian ambassador: Trump ‘added fuel to the fire’ - INTERVIEW
APA presents an interview with Palestinian Ambassador to Azerbaijan Nasser Abdul Kareem
Q: Mr. Ambassador, as you know, the United States opened its embassy in al-Quds (Jerusalem) yesterday. First of all, we would like to know your views in this regard.
A: This step by the U.S. set a dangerous precedent, which is a gross violation of international law, the UN resolutions and the official obligations of the United States. The U.S. has demonstrated its support for the Israeli racist, right-wing regime represented by the government of Netanyahu, who does not recognize the Palestinian people's right to live their homeland. Additionally, this step is a total disrespect to the feelings of millions of Muslims, Christians, and adherents of justice throughout the world.
Q: There were clashes between Israeli soldiers and Palestinians on the Gaza Strip. How do you feel about this confrontation that killed and wounded a large number of Palestinians?
A: Yesterday was a sad day as the world witnessed a brutal massacre from the Israeli army, which is the world's fifth mightiest army and is backed by the world’s most powerful country. That was the direct result of what happened in al-Quds as well as of the celebration of the decision to move the American embassy. If this brutal massacre was committed under the same conditions by another country, then the world would have behaved in a different way and would never remain silent. However, Israel is immunity under the U.S. protection.
Q: The international community condemned the opening of the U.S. Embassy in al-Quds. What can you say about that?
A: All wise people in the world have warned the U.S. president that this decision will give a powerful impetus to the Israeli government and extremist forces in the region, and will jeopardize peace, regional and global security. Nevertheless, this decision has no legal force and will change nothing in the issue of al-Quds. But what everyone was afraid of happened. Donald Trump ‘added fuel to the fire’, and yesterday we all witnessed the beginning of clashes that occurred due to this decision.
Q: Ho do you assess Azerbaijan’s position on the issue of al-Quds?
A: Azerbaijan’s position on the issue of al-Quds has always been clear. This position was once again confirmed by Azerbaijani President Ilham Aliyev’s participation in the OIC extraordinary summit on the issue of al-Quds in Istanbul. At the summit President Ilham Aliyev stressed the importance of al-Quds for Muslims as the capital of Palestine. We highly value Azerbaijan’s brotherhood and noble position.
Q: Finally, what steps will the Palestinian government take on this issue?
A: Palestine, together with Arab, Islamic states and the international community, will object to this decision and work to initiate the peace process based on international law. Having renounced the U.S. mediation as it choose to be part of the problem, we will resort to all available non-violent, legal, political, diplomatic and other means.
Related news releases
- 19.05.2018Poroshenko signs decree on recalling Ukraine’s representatives from CIS statutory bodies
- 19.05.2018Elmar Mammadyarov: "Azerbaijan remains ready to contribute to the just solution of the Palestinian issue"
- 18.05.2018Azerbaijan’s First Vice-President meets with UNESCO Director General in Paris
- 18.05.2018Mehriban Aliyev attends conference on 80th birthday of Koïchiro Matsuura in Paris
- 18.05.2018Azerbaijani, Kyrgyz presidents hold phone talk
- 18.05.2018Baku to convey serious protest to Russian Foreign Ministry
- 16.05.2018Head of delegation: No one will accept such Council of Europe
- 16.05.2018President Ilham Aliyev sends congratulatory letter to King of Norway
- 16.05.2018Samad Seyidov: I’ve been interrogated for 3 hours
- 16.05.2018Samad Seyidov: Those who face sanctions in PACE are the ones who support Azerbaijan’s territorial integrity
- 16.05.2018Head of delegation: Azerbaijan to continue activity in PACE
- 16.05.2018Samad Seyidov: PACE decision – a manifestation of double standard attitude towards Azerbaijan
- 16.05.2018Jamewstown Foundation president: BTK to carry military cargo, Turkey gives initial consent
- 16.05.2018Final declaration of PABSEC Istanbul summit does not include paragraph on al-Quds
- 16.05.2018PACE committee imposes sanction on Azerbaijani MP Samad Seyidov
- 16.05.2018Russia says concerned over 'dangerous escalation' in Gaza
- 16.05.2018What points does report of Independent Investigation Body on allegations of corruption within PACE highlight? - OPINION
- 16.05.2018Israeli ambassador: Peace will not be attainable as long as Palestinians refuse to recognize Jewish people as a nation - INTERVIEW
- 16.05.2018Azerbaijan names new deputy foreign minister
- 15.05.2018Palestinian ambassador: Trump ‘added fuel to the fire’ - INTERVIEW
- 15.05.2018Ilham Aliyev receives former president of Dutch Senate - UPDATED
- 14.05.2018Elmar Mammadyarov met with the EU High Representative
- 14.05.2018President Aliyev congratulates Malaysian PM
- 14.05.2018ACRE staff member asks Baku not to blacklist him for visiting occupied lands
- 13.05.2018Foreign Minister Elmar Mammadyarov departed to Belgium to attend the international conference on the victims of ethnic and religious violence in the Middle East
- 12.05.2018May 28 declared Azerbaijan National Day in Pennsylvania
- 11.05.2018Illegal “charter” signed between France’s Alfortville and Armenian-occupied Lachin city of Azerbaijan annulled
- 11.05.2018Santa Fe proclaims May 28 as ‘Azerbaijan National Day’
- 10.05.2018Azerbaijan says intends to intensify border delimitation talks with Georgia
- 10.05.2018Deputy FM: Demarcation work between Azerbaijan, Russia to continue for 3-4 years
- 10.05.2018Working group on Caspian legal status to meet prior to Astana summit
- 10.05.2018Ali Hasanov comments on Helsinki Commission hearings on Azerbaijan
- 10.05.2018Russian diplomat: Convention on Caspian Sea’s legal status may be signed at Astana summit
- 09.05.2018Governor of U.S. State of Nevada honors 100th anniversary of Azerbaijan Democratic Republic
- 08.05.2018Putin sends congratulatory letter to President Ilham Aliyev
- 08.05.2018Content of joint statement of EU-Azerbaijan Parliamentary Cooperation Committee publicized
- 08.05.2018Sajjad Karim: Joint statement of EU-Azerbaijan Parliamentary Cooperation Committee meeting supports co-op
- 08.05.2018EU-Azerbaijan Parliamentary Cooperation Committee adopts joint statement
- 08.05.2018Ambassador: European companies engaged in extracting gold in occupied Azerbaijani lands
- 08.05.2018EU does not import any goods or services from Nagorno-Karabakh: EU official
- 02.08.2012European Commission adopts first part of Action Plan for 2012 within Eastern Partnership program
- 02.08.2012Azerbaijani ambassador to Kyrgyzstan finishes his diplomatic mission - PHOTO
- 02.08.2012Israeli ambassador to Azerbaijan Michael Lavon-Lotem finishes his diplomatic mission
- 01.08.2012Azerbaijani ambassador to US Elin Suleymanov joins National Guard conference in Oklahoma
- 01.08.2012Azerbaijani Ministry of Foreign Affairs: “Azerbaijani embassy in Syria continues working in normal regime”
- 01.08.2012Sadettin Topukcu appointed to post of chief of Turkish Republic of Northern Cyprus representation in Azerbaijan