Palestinian ambassador: Trump ‘added fuel to the fire’ - INTERVIEW
APA presents an interview with Palestinian Ambassador to Azerbaijan Nasser Abdul Kareem
Q: Mr. Ambassador, as you know, the United States opened its embassy in al-Quds (Jerusalem) yesterday. First of all, we would like to know your views in this regard.
A: This step by the U.S. set a dangerous precedent, which is a gross violation of international law, the UN resolutions and the official obligations of the United States. The U.S. has demonstrated its support for the Israeli racist, right-wing regime represented by the government of Netanyahu, who does not recognize the Palestinian people's right to live their homeland. Additionally, this step is a total disrespect to the feelings of millions of Muslims, Christians, and adherents of justice throughout the world.
Q: There were clashes between Israeli soldiers and Palestinians on the Gaza Strip. How do you feel about this confrontation that killed and wounded a large number of Palestinians?
A: Yesterday was a sad day as the world witnessed a brutal massacre from the Israeli army, which is the world's fifth mightiest army and is backed by the world’s most powerful country. That was the direct result of what happened in al-Quds as well as of the celebration of the decision to move the American embassy. If this brutal massacre was committed under the same conditions by another country, then the world would have behaved in a different way and would never remain silent. However, Israel is immunity under the U.S. protection.
Q: The international community condemned the opening of the U.S. Embassy in al-Quds. What can you say about that?
A: All wise people in the world have warned the U.S. president that this decision will give a powerful impetus to the Israeli government and extremist forces in the region, and will jeopardize peace, regional and global security. Nevertheless, this decision has no legal force and will change nothing in the issue of al-Quds. But what everyone was afraid of happened. Donald Trump ‘added fuel to the fire’, and yesterday we all witnessed the beginning of clashes that occurred due to this decision.
Q: Ho do you assess Azerbaijan’s position on the issue of al-Quds?
A: Azerbaijan’s position on the issue of al-Quds has always been clear. This position was once again confirmed by Azerbaijani President Ilham Aliyev’s participation in the OIC extraordinary summit on the issue of al-Quds in Istanbul. At the summit President Ilham Aliyev stressed the importance of al-Quds for Muslims as the capital of Palestine. We highly value Azerbaijan’s brotherhood and noble position.
Q: Finally, what steps will the Palestinian government take on this issue?
A: Palestine, together with Arab, Islamic states and the international community, will object to this decision and work to initiate the peace process based on international law. Having renounced the U.S. mediation as it choose to be part of the problem, we will resort to all available non-violent, legal, political, diplomatic and other means.
Related news releases
- 23.07.2018Turkish FM to visit Azerbaijan on July 24
- 21.07.2018“The visit of the Azerbaijani president to France is extremely important from the point of view of ensuring our national interests”
- 21.07.2018Angela Merkel to visit Azerbaijan
- 20.07.2018Azerbaijani president meets with president of French National Assembly - UPDATED
- 20.07.2018President Ilham Aliyev completed France visit
- 20.07.2018President Ilham Aliyev congratulates King Philippe of Belgium
- 20.07.2018Azerbaijani, French presidents discuss settlement of Nagorno Karabakh conflict - UPDATED
- 20.07.2018President Sergio Mattarella’s visit to Azerbaijan in spotlight of Italian media
- 20.07.2018Mehriban Aliyeva: 177 foreign legal entities carry out illegal economic activities in occupied Azerbaijani lands - UPDATED
- 20.07.2018President Ilham Aliyev meets with SADE director general
- 20.07.2018President Ilham Aliyev meets with Executive VP of Bouygues Travaux Publics
- 20.07.2018Ilham Aliyev: Forms of threats to global security becoming more complex, dangerous
- 20.07.2018President Ilham Aliyev meets with CEO of CIFAL Group
- 20.07.2018President Ilham Aliyev meets with Iveco France president
- 20.07.2018President Ilham Aliyev meets with chairman of Rothschild & Co Supervisory Board
- 20.07.2018President Ilham Aliyev meets with Thales International official
- 20.07.2018President Ilham Aliyev met with Managing Director of Wilmotte & Associes Architectes
- 19.07.2018President Ilham Aliyev met with Chief Executive Officer of SUEZ
- 19.07.2018Azerbaijani President Ilham Aliyev met with President of French Senate
- 19.07.2018Azerbaijani President meets with Airbus vice-president for Eurasia
- 19.07.2018President Ilham Aliyev met with Chairman and CEO of Total
- 19.07.2018President Ilham Aliyev met with Chairman and CEO of Naval Group in Paris
- 19.07.2018Azerbaijani President meets with Executive Chairman of French Institute of International Relations in Paris
- 19.07.2018Azerbaijani president arrives in France
- 19.07.2018Sergio Mattarella: Azerbaijan can become ‘the main hero of a new page’ in development of economic potential of three seas
- 19.07.2018Turkish FM expected to visit Azerbaijan
- 19.07.2018Baku hosts Azerbaijan-Italy business forum
- 19.07.2018Sergio Mattarella: "Italy will remain sincere, resolute and loyal partner to Azerbaijan"
- 19.07.2018President of Azerbaijan: "Cooperation between Azerbaijan and Italy successfully develops in all directions"
- 19.07.2018Azerbaijani President signs order on awarding "Shohrat" Order to Laura Mattarella
- 18.07.2018FMs of Caspian states to meet before summit of heads of state
- 18.07.2018Baku urges foreign journalists to respect Azerbaijan’s territorial integrity
- 18.07.2018OSCE/ODIHR releases final report on Azerbaijan’s presidential election
- 18.07.2018Caspian gas ‘very important’ for Europe – Italian president
- 18.07.2018Azerbaijan, Italy ink bilateral documents
- 18.07.2018Presidents of Azerbaijan, Italy hold expanded meeting
- 18.07.2018Azerbaijani, Italian presidents hold one-on-one meeting
- 18.07.2018Italian president welcomed with official ceremony in Azerbaijan
- 17.07.2018Italian President arrives in Azerbaijan for official visit
- 17.07.2018Russia-Azerbaijan ties ‘on the rise’ – new envoy
- 16.05.2018Azerbaijan names new deputy foreign minister
- 16.05.2018Israeli ambassador: Peace will not be attainable as long as Palestinians refuse to recognize Jewish people as a nation - INTERVIEW
- 16.05.2018What points does report of Independent Investigation Body on allegations of corruption within PACE highlight? - OPINION
- 15.05.2018Ilham Aliyev receives former president of Dutch Senate - UPDATED
- 14.05.2018Elmar Mammadyarov met with the EU High Representative
- 14.05.2018President Aliyev congratulates Malaysian PM