Ilham Aliyev: EU is Azerbaijan’s largest trade partner - UPDATED
President of the Republic of Azerbaijan Ilham Aliyev has received a delegation of the European Union-Azerbaijan Parliamentary Cooperation Committee led by the Committee chairman, member of the European Conservatives and Reformers Group, British MP Sajjad Karim.
The head of state hailed the successful development of Azerbaijan-EU relations. The President recalled his recent meeting at the European Commission, saying work is underway on a new agreement between the EU and Azerbaijan as a result of this trip.
President Ilham Aliyev noted that Azerbaijan has already signed or adopted declarations on strategic partnership with one third of member states of the EU.
Describing this as a good indicative of bilateral relations, President Ilham Aliyev pointed to the EU-Azerbaijan cooperation in a number of areas, including in political, economic, security, cultural, trade and energy security ones. He described the EU as Azerbaijan’s largest trade partner, hailing Azerbaijan’s growing role in ensuring Europe’s energy security.
On the transport infrastructure field, the head of state hailed the Baku-Tbilisi-Ceyhan railway, which was launched last year, as a transport bridge between Asia and Europe, saying Azerbaijan has become an important transport hub in Eurasia.
President Ilham Aliyev expressed his confidence that the EU-Azerbaijan cooperation will continue to strengthen.
Chairman of the European Union-Azerbaijan Parliamentary Cooperation Committee Sajjad Karim and members of the delegation congratulated President Ilham Aliyev on the centenary of the Azerbaijan Democratic Republic.
Sajjad Karim praised the positive and constructive development of the EU-Azerbaijan cooperation over the past two years. He underlined the successful continuation of negotiations between the EU and Azerbaijan, which commenced last year.
Pointing to a very intense program of visit to Azerbaijan, Chairman of the European Union-Azerbaijan Parliamentary Cooperation Committee Sajjad Karim noted that both sides are keen to develop cooperation. He also underlined a good basis for cooperation with the Milli Majlis of Azerbaijan.
Sajjad Karim pointed out great potential for cooperation between the Committee and Azerbaijan in economic, transport, energy, investment, and interparliamentary relations areas.
During the meeting, the sides exchanged views on the issues relating to the settlement of the Armenia-Azerbaijan Nagorno-Karabakh conflict.
President Ilham Aliyev underlined Azerbaijan’s position on the settlement of the dispute.
President of the Republic of Azerbaijan Ilham Aliyev has received a delegation of the EU-Azerbaijan Parliamentary Cooperation Committee.
Related news releases
- 19.05.2018Poroshenko signs decree on recalling Ukraine’s representatives from CIS statutory bodies
- 19.05.2018Elmar Mammadyarov: "Azerbaijan remains ready to contribute to the just solution of the Palestinian issue"
- 18.05.2018Azerbaijan’s First Vice-President meets with UNESCO Director General in Paris
- 18.05.2018Mehriban Aliyev attends conference on 80th birthday of Koïchiro Matsuura in Paris
- 18.05.2018Azerbaijani, Kyrgyz presidents hold phone talk
- 18.05.2018Baku to convey serious protest to Russian Foreign Ministry
- 16.05.2018Head of delegation: No one will accept such Council of Europe
- 16.05.2018President Ilham Aliyev sends congratulatory letter to King of Norway
- 16.05.2018Samad Seyidov: I’ve been interrogated for 3 hours
- 16.05.2018Samad Seyidov: Those who face sanctions in PACE are the ones who support Azerbaijan’s territorial integrity
- 16.05.2018Head of delegation: Azerbaijan to continue activity in PACE
- 16.05.2018Samad Seyidov: PACE decision – a manifestation of double standard attitude towards Azerbaijan
- 16.05.2018Jamewstown Foundation president: BTK to carry military cargo, Turkey gives initial consent
- 16.05.2018Final declaration of PABSEC Istanbul summit does not include paragraph on al-Quds
- 16.05.2018PACE committee imposes sanction on Azerbaijani MP Samad Seyidov
- 16.05.2018Russia says concerned over 'dangerous escalation' in Gaza
- 16.05.2018What points does report of Independent Investigation Body on allegations of corruption within PACE highlight? - OPINION
- 16.05.2018Israeli ambassador: Peace will not be attainable as long as Palestinians refuse to recognize Jewish people as a nation - INTERVIEW
- 16.05.2018Azerbaijan names new deputy foreign minister
- 15.05.2018Palestinian ambassador: Trump ‘added fuel to the fire’ - INTERVIEW
- 15.05.2018Ilham Aliyev receives former president of Dutch Senate - UPDATED
- 14.05.2018Elmar Mammadyarov met with the EU High Representative
- 14.05.2018President Aliyev congratulates Malaysian PM
- 14.05.2018ACRE staff member asks Baku not to blacklist him for visiting occupied lands
- 13.05.2018Foreign Minister Elmar Mammadyarov departed to Belgium to attend the international conference on the victims of ethnic and religious violence in the Middle East
- 12.05.2018May 28 declared Azerbaijan National Day in Pennsylvania
- 11.05.2018Illegal “charter” signed between France’s Alfortville and Armenian-occupied Lachin city of Azerbaijan annulled
- 11.05.2018Santa Fe proclaims May 28 as ‘Azerbaijan National Day’
- 10.05.2018Azerbaijan says intends to intensify border delimitation talks with Georgia
- 10.05.2018Deputy FM: Demarcation work between Azerbaijan, Russia to continue for 3-4 years
- 10.05.2018Working group on Caspian legal status to meet prior to Astana summit
- 10.05.2018Ali Hasanov comments on Helsinki Commission hearings on Azerbaijan
- 10.05.2018Russian diplomat: Convention on Caspian Sea’s legal status may be signed at Astana summit
- 09.05.2018Governor of U.S. State of Nevada honors 100th anniversary of Azerbaijan Democratic Republic
- 08.05.2018Putin sends congratulatory letter to President Ilham Aliyev
- 08.05.2018Content of joint statement of EU-Azerbaijan Parliamentary Cooperation Committee publicized
- 08.05.2018Sajjad Karim: Joint statement of EU-Azerbaijan Parliamentary Cooperation Committee meeting supports co-op
- 08.05.2018EU-Azerbaijan Parliamentary Cooperation Committee adopts joint statement
- 08.05.2018Ambassador: European companies engaged in extracting gold in occupied Azerbaijani lands
- 08.05.2018EU does not import any goods or services from Nagorno-Karabakh: EU official
- 29.06.2012Azerbaijani Foreign Minister receives the delegation headed by Chairman of the Estonian Parliament
- 29.06.2012Elmar Mammadyarov meets with a counselor of the Romanian President for Strategic Affairs, Security and Foreign Policy
- 29.06.2012Cuban ambassador ends diplomatic mission in Azerbaijan late August
- 28.06.2012Vladimir Putin: Russia-Azerbaijan Inter-Regional Forum became one of the most effective tool of interaction between our countries
- 28.06.2012The Turkish Embassy in Azerbaijan held an opening ceremony of the monument of Nuru Pasha -anın abidəsinin açılış mərasimi keçirilib - PHOTOSESSION - UPDATED
- 28.06.2012PACE Monitoring Committee holds discussions on Azerbaijan