Ilham Aliyev: EU is Azerbaijan’s largest trade partner - UPDATED
President of the Republic of Azerbaijan Ilham Aliyev has received a delegation of the European Union-Azerbaijan Parliamentary Cooperation Committee led by the Committee chairman, member of the European Conservatives and Reformers Group, British MP Sajjad Karim.
The head of state hailed the successful development of Azerbaijan-EU relations. The President recalled his recent meeting at the European Commission, saying work is underway on a new agreement between the EU and Azerbaijan as a result of this trip.
President Ilham Aliyev noted that Azerbaijan has already signed or adopted declarations on strategic partnership with one third of member states of the EU.
Describing this as a good indicative of bilateral relations, President Ilham Aliyev pointed to the EU-Azerbaijan cooperation in a number of areas, including in political, economic, security, cultural, trade and energy security ones. He described the EU as Azerbaijan’s largest trade partner, hailing Azerbaijan’s growing role in ensuring Europe’s energy security.
On the transport infrastructure field, the head of state hailed the Baku-Tbilisi-Ceyhan railway, which was launched last year, as a transport bridge between Asia and Europe, saying Azerbaijan has become an important transport hub in Eurasia.
President Ilham Aliyev expressed his confidence that the EU-Azerbaijan cooperation will continue to strengthen.
Chairman of the European Union-Azerbaijan Parliamentary Cooperation Committee Sajjad Karim and members of the delegation congratulated President Ilham Aliyev on the centenary of the Azerbaijan Democratic Republic.
Sajjad Karim praised the positive and constructive development of the EU-Azerbaijan cooperation over the past two years. He underlined the successful continuation of negotiations between the EU and Azerbaijan, which commenced last year.
Pointing to a very intense program of visit to Azerbaijan, Chairman of the European Union-Azerbaijan Parliamentary Cooperation Committee Sajjad Karim noted that both sides are keen to develop cooperation. He also underlined a good basis for cooperation with the Milli Majlis of Azerbaijan.
Sajjad Karim pointed out great potential for cooperation between the Committee and Azerbaijan in economic, transport, energy, investment, and interparliamentary relations areas.
During the meeting, the sides exchanged views on the issues relating to the settlement of the Armenia-Azerbaijan Nagorno-Karabakh conflict.
President Ilham Aliyev underlined Azerbaijan’s position on the settlement of the dispute.
President of the Republic of Azerbaijan Ilham Aliyev has received a delegation of the EU-Azerbaijan Parliamentary Cooperation Committee.
Related news releases
- 23.07.2018Turkish FM to visit Azerbaijan on July 24
- 21.07.2018“The visit of the Azerbaijani president to France is extremely important from the point of view of ensuring our national interests”
- 21.07.2018Angela Merkel to visit Azerbaijan
- 20.07.2018Azerbaijani president meets with president of French National Assembly - UPDATED
- 20.07.2018President Ilham Aliyev completed France visit
- 20.07.2018President Ilham Aliyev congratulates King Philippe of Belgium
- 20.07.2018Azerbaijani, French presidents discuss settlement of Nagorno Karabakh conflict - UPDATED
- 20.07.2018President Sergio Mattarella’s visit to Azerbaijan in spotlight of Italian media
- 20.07.2018Mehriban Aliyeva: 177 foreign legal entities carry out illegal economic activities in occupied Azerbaijani lands - UPDATED
- 20.07.2018President Ilham Aliyev meets with SADE director general
- 20.07.2018President Ilham Aliyev meets with Executive VP of Bouygues Travaux Publics
- 20.07.2018Ilham Aliyev: Forms of threats to global security becoming more complex, dangerous
- 20.07.2018President Ilham Aliyev meets with CEO of CIFAL Group
- 20.07.2018President Ilham Aliyev meets with Iveco France president
- 20.07.2018President Ilham Aliyev meets with chairman of Rothschild & Co Supervisory Board
- 20.07.2018President Ilham Aliyev meets with Thales International official
- 20.07.2018President Ilham Aliyev met with Managing Director of Wilmotte & Associes Architectes
- 19.07.2018President Ilham Aliyev met with Chief Executive Officer of SUEZ
- 19.07.2018Azerbaijani President Ilham Aliyev met with President of French Senate
- 19.07.2018Azerbaijani President meets with Airbus vice-president for Eurasia
- 19.07.2018President Ilham Aliyev met with Chairman and CEO of Total
- 19.07.2018President Ilham Aliyev met with Chairman and CEO of Naval Group in Paris
- 19.07.2018Azerbaijani President meets with Executive Chairman of French Institute of International Relations in Paris
- 19.07.2018Azerbaijani president arrives in France
- 19.07.2018Sergio Mattarella: Azerbaijan can become ‘the main hero of a new page’ in development of economic potential of three seas
- 19.07.2018Turkish FM expected to visit Azerbaijan
- 19.07.2018Baku hosts Azerbaijan-Italy business forum
- 19.07.2018Sergio Mattarella: "Italy will remain sincere, resolute and loyal partner to Azerbaijan"
- 19.07.2018President of Azerbaijan: "Cooperation between Azerbaijan and Italy successfully develops in all directions"
- 19.07.2018Azerbaijani President signs order on awarding "Shohrat" Order to Laura Mattarella
- 18.07.2018FMs of Caspian states to meet before summit of heads of state
- 18.07.2018Baku urges foreign journalists to respect Azerbaijan’s territorial integrity
- 18.07.2018OSCE/ODIHR releases final report on Azerbaijan’s presidential election
- 18.07.2018Caspian gas ‘very important’ for Europe – Italian president
- 18.07.2018Azerbaijan, Italy ink bilateral documents
- 18.07.2018Presidents of Azerbaijan, Italy hold expanded meeting
- 18.07.2018Azerbaijani, Italian presidents hold one-on-one meeting
- 18.07.2018Italian president welcomed with official ceremony in Azerbaijan
- 17.07.2018Italian President arrives in Azerbaijan for official visit
- 17.07.2018Russia-Azerbaijan ties ‘on the rise’ – new envoy
- 07.05.2018EU’s recognition of Azerbaijan’s territorial integrity is of great importance – deputy FM
- 07.05.2018Sajjad Karim: Azerbaijan’s stability of huge importance to EU
- 07.05.2018Deputy FM: Natural resources from occupied Azerbaijani territories being marketed to EU countries
- 06.05.2018The OIC Council of Foreign Ministers supported the territorial integrity of Azerbaijan
- 04.05.2018Azerbaijan, Turkey, Ukraine hold trilateral political consultations
- 04.05.2018Official Exchange Rates