Russia says concerned over 'dangerous escalation' in Gaza
Moscow is highly concerned over the escalation of tensions in the Gaza Strip and denounces the use of military force against the civil population, Russian Foreign Ministry Spokeswoman Maria Zakharova said on Wednesday, APA reported citing TASS.
"Moscow is extremely concerned over the dangerous escalation in the Gaza Strip and in some areas on the West Bank," she said. "We confirm the Palestinians’ rights to peaceful protests and denounce the use of military force against the civil population." "We call again on the involved parties to show restraint and abandon moves that may provoke further escalation," the diplomat added.
The Russian Foreign Ministry spokeswoman offered condolences to the families and friends of the deceased and wished a speedy recovery to those injured in the protests.
Moscow favors direct Palestinian-Israeli talks on the status of Jerusalem, she said.
"Russia’s position on Jerusalem remains unchanged: the city should remain the capital of two independent states, Palestine and Israel, and be open for followers of all three monotheistic religions," she said. "Specific aspects of the agreement on the status of Jerusalem should be developed in the course of direct Palestinian - Israeli talks. Russia will continue to support this approach." "We repeatedly stated that in order to stop the growth of violence it is necessary to move the issue towards the settlement of a substantial and effective negotiation process based on the decisions of the UN Security Council and the General Assembly, as well as the Arab Peace Initiative," she added.
The Russian Foreign Ministry spokeswoman noted that the role of the global community is to help the Israelis and Palestinians to move towards a long-term and just peace that would benefit the interests of both parties, and not to "make unilateral moves that impede efforts to create conditions to implement a two-state solution to the Palestinian issue."
Violent clashes broke out between Palestinians and the Israeli military on the border between Israel and the Gaza Strip on Monday, following the official move of the US embassy in Israel from Tel Aviv to Jerusalem on the same day. More than 60 Palestinians were killed and more than 2,800 were injured in the clashes, according to the latest reports.
The status of Jerusalem is a key problem in the Palestinian - Israeli conflict.
Related news releases
- 23.05.2018Stefan Schennach: Samad Seyidov has to be replaced in PACE June session
- 23.05.2018Turkmen, Ukrainian leaders congratulate Azerbaijani president
- 23.05.2018Turkey’s Erdogan congratulates President Ilham Aliyev
- 23.05.2018Russian PM congratulates President Ilham Aliyev
- 23.05.2018Georgian gov’t won’t oppose public opinion and agree to open alternative route to Armenia – political analyst
- 23.05.2018Mayor of Las Vegas signs proclamation on 100th anniversary of Azerbaijan Democratic Republic
- 22.05.2018EU, Azerbaijan to hold talks on new agreement in late May
- 22.05.2018King of Saudi Arabia congratulates President Ilham Aliyev
- 22.05.2018Queen Elizabeth II congratulates President Ilham Aliyev
- 22.05.2018Leaders of some countries congratulate Azerbaijani president
- 22.05.2018Serbian president ends official visit to Azerbaijan
- 22.05.2018Azerbaijani Foreign Ministry holds expanded meeting
- 22.05.2018George Tsereteli: No decision on OSCE PA’s special rep. for South Caucasus
- 22.05.2018OSCE PA President: Enough resources for constructive cooperation with Azerbaijan - INTERVIEW
- 22.05.2018California Governor congratulates Azerbaijan on 100th anniversary of ADR
- 21.05.2018Vucic: Serbia intends to develop co-op with Azerbaijan in all spheres
- 21.05.2018Ilham Aliyev: Relations with Serbia of great importance to Azerbaijan
- 21.05.2018Aleksandar Vucic: Much remains to be done in Serbia in terms of Azerbaijan’s interests
- 21.05.2018President Vucic: Serbia is friendly country to Azerbaijan
- 21.05.2018Ilham Aliyev: Azerbaijan-Serbia ties will continue to develop successfully
- 21.05.2018Azerbaijani, Serbian presidents make press statements
- 21.05.2018Azerbaijan, Serbia ink several documents
- 21.05.2018Presidents of Azerbaijan, Serbia hold expanded meeting
- 21.05.2018Azerbaijani, Serbian presidents hold one-on-one meeting
- 21.05.2018Serbia’s Vucic officially welcomed in Baku
- 21.05.2018Ilham Aliyev: Significant work done towards rapid reduction of unemployment - UPDATED
- 21.05.2018Serbian president arrives in Azerbaijan
- 21.05.2018Legal status of Caspian Sea to be discussed in Astana on May 21-24
- 19.05.2018Poroshenko signs decree on recalling Ukraine’s representatives from CIS statutory bodies
- 19.05.2018Elmar Mammadyarov: "Azerbaijan remains ready to contribute to the just solution of the Palestinian issue"
- 18.05.2018Azerbaijan’s First Vice-President meets with UNESCO Director General in Paris
- 18.05.2018Mehriban Aliyev attends conference on 80th birthday of Koïchiro Matsuura in Paris
- 18.05.2018Azerbaijani, Kyrgyz presidents hold phone talk
- 18.05.2018Baku to convey serious protest to Russian Foreign Ministry
- 16.05.2018Head of delegation: No one will accept such Council of Europe
- 16.05.2018President Ilham Aliyev sends congratulatory letter to King of Norway
- 16.05.2018Samad Seyidov: I’ve been interrogated for 3 hours
- 16.05.2018Samad Seyidov: Those who face sanctions in PACE are the ones who support Azerbaijan’s territorial integrity
- 16.05.2018Head of delegation: Azerbaijan to continue activity in PACE
- 16.05.2018Samad Seyidov: PACE decision – a manifestation of double standard attitude towards Azerbaijan
- 16.05.2018PACE committee imposes sanction on Azerbaijani MP Samad Seyidov
- 16.05.2018Final declaration of PABSEC Istanbul summit does not include paragraph on al-Quds
- 16.05.2018Jamewstown Foundation president: BTK to carry military cargo, Turkey gives initial consent
- 16.05.2018What points does report of Independent Investigation Body on allegations of corruption within PACE highlight? - OPINION
- 16.05.2018Israeli ambassador: Peace will not be attainable as long as Palestinians refuse to recognize Jewish people as a nation - INTERVIEW
- 16.05.2018Azerbaijan names new deputy foreign minister