Sajjad Karim: Azerbaijan’s stability of huge importance to EU
The European Union and Azerbaijan share common challenges, said Chairman of the EU-Azerbaijan Parliamentary Cooperation Committee, member of the European Conservatives and Reformists Group, British MEP Sajjad Karim.
He made the remarks at the 15th meeting of the EU-Azerbaijan Parliamentary Cooperation Committee in Baku on May 8, APA reports.
Karim said that in November 2016 the mandate was given to begin negotiations between Azerbaijan and the EU and these negotiations began in February 2017.
“Half of the trade of Azerbaijan is with European Union countries. Azerbaijan supplies 5 percent of the European Union's need for oil. The EU attaches great importance to the South Caucasus Gas Corridor project. We are also interested in transforming Azerbaijan into a major transport hub. From this point of view, the Baku-Tbilisi-Kars railway is key,” he added.
The British MEP stressed that stability in Azerbaijan is of great importance to the EU.
"We will discuss fundamental democracy issues during Ilham Aliyev's presidency. Today we met the president and had very good discussions. We should also consider security issues, above all the Nagorno-Karabakh conflict,” he said.
Related news releases
- 23.07.2018Turkish FM to visit Azerbaijan on July 24
- 21.07.2018“The visit of the Azerbaijani president to France is extremely important from the point of view of ensuring our national interests”
- 21.07.2018Angela Merkel to visit Azerbaijan
- 20.07.2018Azerbaijani president meets with president of French National Assembly - UPDATED
- 20.07.2018President Ilham Aliyev completed France visit
- 20.07.2018President Ilham Aliyev congratulates King Philippe of Belgium
- 20.07.2018Azerbaijani, French presidents discuss settlement of Nagorno Karabakh conflict - UPDATED
- 20.07.2018President Sergio Mattarella’s visit to Azerbaijan in spotlight of Italian media
- 20.07.2018Mehriban Aliyeva: 177 foreign legal entities carry out illegal economic activities in occupied Azerbaijani lands - UPDATED
- 20.07.2018President Ilham Aliyev meets with SADE director general
- 20.07.2018President Ilham Aliyev meets with Executive VP of Bouygues Travaux Publics
- 20.07.2018Ilham Aliyev: Forms of threats to global security becoming more complex, dangerous
- 20.07.2018President Ilham Aliyev meets with CEO of CIFAL Group
- 20.07.2018President Ilham Aliyev meets with Iveco France president
- 20.07.2018President Ilham Aliyev meets with chairman of Rothschild & Co Supervisory Board
- 20.07.2018President Ilham Aliyev meets with Thales International official
- 20.07.2018President Ilham Aliyev met with Managing Director of Wilmotte & Associes Architectes
- 19.07.2018President Ilham Aliyev met with Chief Executive Officer of SUEZ
- 19.07.2018Azerbaijani President Ilham Aliyev met with President of French Senate
- 19.07.2018Azerbaijani President meets with Airbus vice-president for Eurasia
- 19.07.2018President Ilham Aliyev met with Chairman and CEO of Total
- 19.07.2018President Ilham Aliyev met with Chairman and CEO of Naval Group in Paris
- 19.07.2018Azerbaijani President meets with Executive Chairman of French Institute of International Relations in Paris
- 19.07.2018Azerbaijani president arrives in France
- 19.07.2018Sergio Mattarella: Azerbaijan can become ‘the main hero of a new page’ in development of economic potential of three seas
- 19.07.2018Turkish FM expected to visit Azerbaijan
- 19.07.2018Baku hosts Azerbaijan-Italy business forum
- 19.07.2018Sergio Mattarella: "Italy will remain sincere, resolute and loyal partner to Azerbaijan"
- 19.07.2018President of Azerbaijan: "Cooperation between Azerbaijan and Italy successfully develops in all directions"
- 19.07.2018Azerbaijani President signs order on awarding "Shohrat" Order to Laura Mattarella
- 18.07.2018FMs of Caspian states to meet before summit of heads of state
- 18.07.2018Baku urges foreign journalists to respect Azerbaijan’s territorial integrity
- 18.07.2018OSCE/ODIHR releases final report on Azerbaijan’s presidential election
- 18.07.2018Caspian gas ‘very important’ for Europe – Italian president
- 18.07.2018Azerbaijan, Italy ink bilateral documents
- 18.07.2018Presidents of Azerbaijan, Italy hold expanded meeting
- 18.07.2018Azerbaijani, Italian presidents hold one-on-one meeting
- 18.07.2018Italian president welcomed with official ceremony in Azerbaijan
- 17.07.2018Italian President arrives in Azerbaijan for official visit
- 17.07.2018Russia-Azerbaijan ties ‘on the rise’ – new envoy
- 17.02.2011Permanent Representative of Azerbaijan to UN addresses letter to Secretary-General and Security Council concerning Serzh Sargsyan’s remarks
- 17.02.2011Council of Europe Secretary General appoints new Special Representative to Azerbaijan
- 17.02.2011Azerbaijani citizen appointed special representative of Secretary General of the Council of Europe in Moldova
- 17.02.2011OSCE Chairperson and US Secretary of State discuss regulation of Nagorno Karabakh conflict
- 17.02.2011France’s Foreign Ministry: Nagorno-Karabakh - occupied territory in the heart of Azerbaijan
- 16.02.2011German Foreign Ministry calls citizens to avoid travels to Azerbaijan’s occupied Nagorno Karabakh and seven adjacent regions