Sajjad Karim: Azerbaijan’s stability of huge importance to EU
The European Union and Azerbaijan share common challenges, said Chairman of the EU-Azerbaijan Parliamentary Cooperation Committee, member of the European Conservatives and Reformists Group, British MEP Sajjad Karim.
He made the remarks at the 15th meeting of the EU-Azerbaijan Parliamentary Cooperation Committee in Baku on May 8, APA reports.
Karim said that in November 2016 the mandate was given to begin negotiations between Azerbaijan and the EU and these negotiations began in February 2017.
“Half of the trade of Azerbaijan is with European Union countries. Azerbaijan supplies 5 percent of the European Union's need for oil. The EU attaches great importance to the South Caucasus Gas Corridor project. We are also interested in transforming Azerbaijan into a major transport hub. From this point of view, the Baku-Tbilisi-Kars railway is key,” he added.
The British MEP stressed that stability in Azerbaijan is of great importance to the EU.
"We will discuss fundamental democracy issues during Ilham Aliyev's presidency. Today we met the president and had very good discussions. We should also consider security issues, above all the Nagorno-Karabakh conflict,” he said.
Related news releases
- 19.05.2018Poroshenko signs decree on recalling Ukraine’s representatives from CIS statutory bodies
- 19.05.2018Elmar Mammadyarov: "Azerbaijan remains ready to contribute to the just solution of the Palestinian issue"
- 18.05.2018Azerbaijan’s First Vice-President meets with UNESCO Director General in Paris
- 18.05.2018Mehriban Aliyev attends conference on 80th birthday of Koïchiro Matsuura in Paris
- 18.05.2018Azerbaijani, Kyrgyz presidents hold phone talk
- 18.05.2018Baku to convey serious protest to Russian Foreign Ministry
- 16.05.2018Head of delegation: No one will accept such Council of Europe
- 16.05.2018President Ilham Aliyev sends congratulatory letter to King of Norway
- 16.05.2018Samad Seyidov: I’ve been interrogated for 3 hours
- 16.05.2018Samad Seyidov: Those who face sanctions in PACE are the ones who support Azerbaijan’s territorial integrity
- 16.05.2018Head of delegation: Azerbaijan to continue activity in PACE
- 16.05.2018Samad Seyidov: PACE decision – a manifestation of double standard attitude towards Azerbaijan
- 16.05.2018Jamewstown Foundation president: BTK to carry military cargo, Turkey gives initial consent
- 16.05.2018Final declaration of PABSEC Istanbul summit does not include paragraph on al-Quds
- 16.05.2018PACE committee imposes sanction on Azerbaijani MP Samad Seyidov
- 16.05.2018Russia says concerned over 'dangerous escalation' in Gaza
- 16.05.2018What points does report of Independent Investigation Body on allegations of corruption within PACE highlight? - OPINION
- 16.05.2018Israeli ambassador: Peace will not be attainable as long as Palestinians refuse to recognize Jewish people as a nation - INTERVIEW
- 16.05.2018Azerbaijan names new deputy foreign minister
- 15.05.2018Palestinian ambassador: Trump ‘added fuel to the fire’ - INTERVIEW
- 15.05.2018Ilham Aliyev receives former president of Dutch Senate - UPDATED
- 14.05.2018Elmar Mammadyarov met with the EU High Representative
- 14.05.2018President Aliyev congratulates Malaysian PM
- 14.05.2018ACRE staff member asks Baku not to blacklist him for visiting occupied lands
- 13.05.2018Foreign Minister Elmar Mammadyarov departed to Belgium to attend the international conference on the victims of ethnic and religious violence in the Middle East
- 12.05.2018May 28 declared Azerbaijan National Day in Pennsylvania
- 11.05.2018Illegal “charter” signed between France’s Alfortville and Armenian-occupied Lachin city of Azerbaijan annulled
- 11.05.2018Santa Fe proclaims May 28 as ‘Azerbaijan National Day’
- 10.05.2018Azerbaijan says intends to intensify border delimitation talks with Georgia
- 10.05.2018Deputy FM: Demarcation work between Azerbaijan, Russia to continue for 3-4 years
- 10.05.2018Working group on Caspian legal status to meet prior to Astana summit
- 10.05.2018Ali Hasanov comments on Helsinki Commission hearings on Azerbaijan
- 10.05.2018Russian diplomat: Convention on Caspian Sea’s legal status may be signed at Astana summit
- 09.05.2018Governor of U.S. State of Nevada honors 100th anniversary of Azerbaijan Democratic Republic
- 08.05.2018Putin sends congratulatory letter to President Ilham Aliyev
- 08.05.2018Content of joint statement of EU-Azerbaijan Parliamentary Cooperation Committee publicized
- 08.05.2018Sajjad Karim: Joint statement of EU-Azerbaijan Parliamentary Cooperation Committee meeting supports co-op
- 08.05.2018EU-Azerbaijan Parliamentary Cooperation Committee adopts joint statement
- 08.05.2018Ambassador: European companies engaged in extracting gold in occupied Azerbaijani lands
- 08.05.2018EU does not import any goods or services from Nagorno-Karabakh: EU official
- 02.10.2009Serzh Sargsyan: No document on Nagorno Karabakh conflict will be signed in Chisinau
- 02.10.2009Serzh Sargsyan: The process of international recognition of the Armenian Genocide cannot be removed from our agenda
- 02.10.2009Serzh Sarsgyan says opening of borders with Turkey will create healthy competitiveness for Armenia’s economy
- 02.10.2009Robert Bradtke: The Nagorno Karabakh can not be solved without taking into consideration the position of the region’s population
- 02.10.2009Richard Lugar: “The regional developments create good opportunities for the solution to Nagorno Karabakh conflict”
- 02.10.2009Indonesian quake caused no damage to Azerbaijanis or embassy