Samad Seyidov: PACE sanctions on former MPs have no significance
PACE sanctions on former MPs have no significance, Samad Seyidov, head of the Azerbaijani delegation to PACE told APA as he was commenting on the decision of the PACE Committee on Rules of Procedure, Immunities and Institutional Affairs about 14 former Assembly members.
Seyidov noted that he has cooperated with a PACE investigation body and expressed his position.
"Perhaps someone has refused to cooperate, and this led to that decision being made. But those who did not cooperate were not only from Azerbaijan but also from several other countries, yet they are not making any decisions against them. This is not fair. As for Elkhan Suleymanov and Muslum Mammadov, there is the issue of Luca Volonte in Italy, where there are some cases under investigation. The investigative team here failed to put forward any evidence. I don’t think the imposition of such sanctions, especially on the former PACE members, has any significance,” he said.
Seyidov stressed that he has always been against the imposition of sanctions, saying he does not believe this would produce any positive results.
“We’ll discuss this issue in greater detail in Baku,” he added.
Seyidov also commented on reports that a PACE letter has not been delivered to former MP Gultakin Hajibayli, who is facing sanctions as well.
"She is not a member of the AzerbaijaniParliament. What should the parliament send to former MPs, and why? It has nothing to do with Parliament,” he said.
Seyidov said that what is now happening in PACE were interpreted differently in the press.
"The same happened when I was elected vice president in PACE, and yesterday I heard that no such thing had happened and that the coverage was about my election as PACE Vice President in the previous session. Elections to vice presidency are renewed each time a new president is elected. In my case, I was elected in the June session and no one objected to it,” he added.
Related news releases
- 21.07.2018Angela Merkel to visit Azerbaijan
- 20.07.2018Azerbaijani president meets with president of French National Assembly - UPDATED
- 20.07.2018President Ilham Aliyev completed France visit
- 20.07.2018President Ilham Aliyev congratulates King Philippe of Belgium
- 20.07.2018Azerbaijani, French presidents discuss settlement of Nagorno Karabakh conflict - UPDATED
- 20.07.2018President Sergio Mattarella’s visit to Azerbaijan in spotlight of Italian media
- 20.07.2018Mehriban Aliyeva: 177 foreign legal entities carry out illegal economic activities in occupied Azerbaijani lands - UPDATED
- 20.07.2018President Ilham Aliyev meets with SADE director general
- 20.07.2018President Ilham Aliyev meets with Executive VP of Bouygues Travaux Publics
- 20.07.2018Ilham Aliyev: Forms of threats to global security becoming more complex, dangerous
- 20.07.2018President Ilham Aliyev meets with CEO of CIFAL Group
- 20.07.2018President Ilham Aliyev meets with Iveco France president
- 20.07.2018President Ilham Aliyev meets with chairman of Rothschild & Co Supervisory Board
- 20.07.2018President Ilham Aliyev meets with Thales International official
- 20.07.2018President Ilham Aliyev met with Managing Director of Wilmotte & Associes Architectes
- 19.07.2018President Ilham Aliyev met with Chief Executive Officer of SUEZ
- 19.07.2018Azerbaijani President Ilham Aliyev met with President of French Senate
- 19.07.2018Azerbaijani President meets with Airbus vice-president for Eurasia
- 19.07.2018President Ilham Aliyev met with Chairman and CEO of Total
- 19.07.2018President Ilham Aliyev met with Chairman and CEO of Naval Group in Paris
- 19.07.2018Azerbaijani President meets with Executive Chairman of French Institute of International Relations in Paris
- 19.07.2018Azerbaijani president arrives in France
- 19.07.2018Sergio Mattarella: Azerbaijan can become ‘the main hero of a new page’ in development of economic potential of three seas
- 19.07.2018Turkish FM expected to visit Azerbaijan
- 19.07.2018Baku hosts Azerbaijan-Italy business forum
- 19.07.2018Sergio Mattarella: "Italy will remain sincere, resolute and loyal partner to Azerbaijan"
- 19.07.2018President of Azerbaijan: "Cooperation between Azerbaijan and Italy successfully develops in all directions"
- 19.07.2018Azerbaijani President signs order on awarding "Shohrat" Order to Laura Mattarella
- 18.07.2018FMs of Caspian states to meet before summit of heads of state
- 18.07.2018Baku urges foreign journalists to respect Azerbaijan’s territorial integrity
- 18.07.2018OSCE/ODIHR releases final report on Azerbaijan’s presidential election
- 18.07.2018Caspian gas ‘very important’ for Europe – Italian president
- 18.07.2018Azerbaijan, Italy ink bilateral documents
- 18.07.2018Presidents of Azerbaijan, Italy hold expanded meeting
- 18.07.2018Azerbaijani, Italian presidents hold one-on-one meeting
- 18.07.2018Italian president welcomed with official ceremony in Azerbaijan
- 17.07.2018Italian President arrives in Azerbaijan for official visit
- 17.07.2018Russia-Azerbaijan ties ‘on the rise’ – new envoy
- 17.07.2018Date set for summit of Caspian states
- 17.07.2018Date of Azerbaijani president’s visit to Russia rescheduled
- 29.06.2018Azerbaijani, Hungarian FMs meet in Baku
- 29.06.2018Putin approves draft Convention on legal status of Caspian Sea
- 29.06.2018Lukashenko: ‘Belarus-Azerbaijan relations have reached highest level of strategic partnershipə
- 29.06.2018U.S. official: Baku meeting extends hand to Taliban in establishing peace in Afghanista
- 29.06.2018Hungarian FM arrives in Azerbaijan
- 28.06.2018PACE Monitoring Committee appoints co-rapporteur on Azerbaijan