The OIC Council of Foreign Ministers supported the territorial integrity of Azerbaijan
The 45th session of Council of Foreign Ministers of OIC adopted a number of important documents and resolutions related with Azerbaijan, the press service of the Azerbaijan’s Ministry of Foreign Affairs told APA on May 6.
On May 5-6, 2018 the 45th session of the Council of Foreign Ministers of the OIC member states was held in Dhaka, People’s Republic of Bangladesh. The delegation headed by Foreign Minister Elmar Mammadyarov represented Azerbaijan at the event. At the session Minister E.Mammadyarov delivered a speech.
Dhaka Declaration adopted at the Session (para18) underlines the need for earliest political resolution of all crisis and conflicts in order to avoid their negative and destructive impact in accordance with the principles of the UN and OIC Charters and in this context, reaffirms firm solidarity with Azerbaijan and stresss the resolution of conflict on the basis of principles of territorial integrity and sovereignty.
The session adopted a number of important resolutions on Azerbaijan, including resolutions on Armenia's aggression against Azerbaijan and the destruction of religious and cultural heritage in the occupied territories.
The resolution entitled "The aggression of the Republic of Armenia against the Republic of Azerbaijan" demands the implementation of the relevant UN Security Council resolutions and expresses concern that Armenia has not yet implemented demands contained therein. Also, all states are urged to refrain from providing any supplies of arms and military equipment to Armenia and not to allow the use of their territories for transit of such supplies. At the same time, acts of destruction, plundering and vandalism of archaeological, cultural and religious monuments in the occupied territories of Azerbaijan are sharply condemned.
It also calls for the earliest settlement of the Armenian-Azerbaijan conflict on the basis of sovereignty, territorial integrity and inviolability of the internationally recognized borders of the Republic of Azerbaijan, in accordance with the generally accepted norms and principles of international law, relevant UN Security Council resolutions, as well as OSCE documents and resolutions. Another important issue in the aforementioned resolution is that the Council of Foreign Ministers decides to instruct the Permanent Representatives of Member States to the United Nations, while voting in the UN General Assembly, to give full support to the issue of territorial integrity of the Republic of Azerbaijan. The resolution also reaffirms its total solidarity with and full support for the efforts undertaken by the Government and people of Azerbaijan to defend their country.
The resolution titled "Solidarity with the Victims of Khojaly Massacre of 1992" strongly condemns the mass atrocities against the Azerbaijani civilians and military personnel committed by the armed forces of the Republic of Armenia in the town of Khojaly, Republic of Azerbaijan, in February 1992, and other occupied territories of the Republic of Azerbaijan during the conflict. It also calls upon Member States to exert due efforts for recognition of the crimes perpetrated in the town of Khojaly and other occupied territories of the Republic of Azerbaijan during the conflict as war crimes, crimes against humanity and genocide at the national and international levels.
The resolution also highlights the activity of the "Justice for Khojaly" International civil awareness campaign, and invites Member States to continue supporting the campaign and actively participate in its activities.
The resolution adopted under the name of "Destruction of monuments belonging to Islamic history and culture in the occupied territories of Azerbaijan as a result of Armenia's aggression against Azerbaijan" describes historical, cultural, archaeological, anthropological and ethnographic monuments and cultural samples of the occupied territories of Azerbaijan as an integral part of the Islamic heritage and strongly criticizes the destruction of that heritage.
It is noted that the Republic of Armenia by such actions has violated the Convention on the Protection of Cultural Property and its Additional Protocols during armed conflicts.
The resolution titled “Higher education matters” highly appreciates the establishment of 100 scholarships within the five year program for the students from the OIC member states by the Government of Azerbaijan.
The resolution entitled “Candidacies for positions at the international organizations” called the member states to support the candidacies of Azerbaijan in hosting Expo-2025 and election to the Intergovernmental Committee for the Safeguarding of the Intangible Cultural Heritage.
Related news releases
- 19.05.2018Poroshenko signs decree on recalling Ukraine’s representatives from CIS statutory bodies
- 19.05.2018Elmar Mammadyarov: "Azerbaijan remains ready to contribute to the just solution of the Palestinian issue"
- 18.05.2018Azerbaijan’s First Vice-President meets with UNESCO Director General in Paris
- 18.05.2018Mehriban Aliyev attends conference on 80th birthday of Koïchiro Matsuura in Paris
- 18.05.2018Azerbaijani, Kyrgyz presidents hold phone talk
- 18.05.2018Baku to convey serious protest to Russian Foreign Ministry
- 16.05.2018Head of delegation: No one will accept such Council of Europe
- 16.05.2018President Ilham Aliyev sends congratulatory letter to King of Norway
- 16.05.2018Samad Seyidov: I’ve been interrogated for 3 hours
- 16.05.2018Samad Seyidov: Those who face sanctions in PACE are the ones who support Azerbaijan’s territorial integrity
- 16.05.2018Head of delegation: Azerbaijan to continue activity in PACE
- 16.05.2018Samad Seyidov: PACE decision – a manifestation of double standard attitude towards Azerbaijan
- 16.05.2018Jamewstown Foundation president: BTK to carry military cargo, Turkey gives initial consent
- 16.05.2018Final declaration of PABSEC Istanbul summit does not include paragraph on al-Quds
- 16.05.2018PACE committee imposes sanction on Azerbaijani MP Samad Seyidov
- 16.05.2018Russia says concerned over 'dangerous escalation' in Gaza
- 16.05.2018What points does report of Independent Investigation Body on allegations of corruption within PACE highlight? - OPINION
- 16.05.2018Israeli ambassador: Peace will not be attainable as long as Palestinians refuse to recognize Jewish people as a nation - INTERVIEW
- 16.05.2018Azerbaijan names new deputy foreign minister
- 15.05.2018Palestinian ambassador: Trump ‘added fuel to the fire’ - INTERVIEW
- 15.05.2018Ilham Aliyev receives former president of Dutch Senate - UPDATED
- 14.05.2018Elmar Mammadyarov met with the EU High Representative
- 14.05.2018President Aliyev congratulates Malaysian PM
- 14.05.2018ACRE staff member asks Baku not to blacklist him for visiting occupied lands
- 13.05.2018Foreign Minister Elmar Mammadyarov departed to Belgium to attend the international conference on the victims of ethnic and religious violence in the Middle East
- 12.05.2018May 28 declared Azerbaijan National Day in Pennsylvania
- 11.05.2018Illegal “charter” signed between France’s Alfortville and Armenian-occupied Lachin city of Azerbaijan annulled
- 11.05.2018Santa Fe proclaims May 28 as ‘Azerbaijan National Day’
- 10.05.2018Azerbaijan says intends to intensify border delimitation talks with Georgia
- 10.05.2018Deputy FM: Demarcation work between Azerbaijan, Russia to continue for 3-4 years
- 10.05.2018Working group on Caspian legal status to meet prior to Astana summit
- 10.05.2018Ali Hasanov comments on Helsinki Commission hearings on Azerbaijan
- 10.05.2018Russian diplomat: Convention on Caspian Sea’s legal status may be signed at Astana summit
- 09.05.2018Governor of U.S. State of Nevada honors 100th anniversary of Azerbaijan Democratic Republic
- 08.05.2018Putin sends congratulatory letter to President Ilham Aliyev
- 08.05.2018Content of joint statement of EU-Azerbaijan Parliamentary Cooperation Committee publicized
- 08.05.2018Sajjad Karim: Joint statement of EU-Azerbaijan Parliamentary Cooperation Committee meeting supports co-op
- 08.05.2018EU-Azerbaijan Parliamentary Cooperation Committee adopts joint statement
- 08.05.2018Ambassador: European companies engaged in extracting gold in occupied Azerbaijani lands
- 08.05.2018EU does not import any goods or services from Nagorno-Karabakh: EU official
- 07.05.2018Ilham Aliyev: EU is Azerbaijan’s largest trade partner - UPDATED
- 07.05.2018EU’s recognition of Azerbaijan’s territorial integrity is of great importance – deputy FM
- 07.05.2018Sajjad Karim: Azerbaijan’s stability of huge importance to EU
- 04.05.2018Azerbaijan, Turkey, Ukraine hold trilateral political consultations
- 04.05.2018Official Exchange Rates
- 04.05.2018Azerbaijani FM to attend OIC Council of Foreign Ministers session in Dhaka