Under Secretary of State Shannon: Azerbaijan remains a close partner of US in many areas
Washington, D.C. hosted a solemn dinner reception on the occasion of May 28 – Republic Day and the upcoming Day of the Armed Forces of Azerbaijan.
The event was attended by about 1,000 guests including high-ranking officials of the US Administration, congressmen, representatives of several US states, employees of various state and public organizations, more than 40 ambassadors, representatives of academic circles and the local community, as well as representatives of the Azerbaijani, Turkish and Jewish communities, the Azerbaijani Embassy in the US told APA on Thursday.
Addressing the reception, Azerbaijani Ambassador Elin Suleymanov said that the high level representation of the US Administration and other government agencies, as well as numerous friends of Azerbaijan in the event is an indicator of attention to Azerbaijan.
Recalling that this year marks the 25th anniversary of the establishment of diplomatic relations between Azerbaijan and the US, the diplomat touched upon strong partnership relations between the two countries.
The ambassador stressed that Azerbaijan became internationally recognized as a result of a consistent policy pursued by the country's leadership. Suleymanov hailed Azerbaijan’s contributions to peace and security as well as to energy security, noting that Azerbaijan takes an active part in a NATO-led peacekeeping mission in Afghanistan.
In his speech, US Under Secretary of State for Political Affairs Thomas Shannon stressed that Azerbaijan remains a close partner of the US in many areas.
He underlined that Azerbaijan contributes to the energy security of Europe and the world by offering new energy sources.
Shannon noted that the launch of the Baku-Tbilisi-Ceyhan oil pipeline in 2006 marked a critical phase of the bilateral partnership. With regard to the Southern Gas Corridor project, Shannon emphasized Azerbaijan’s key role in the processing and exporting of US energy resources, referring to President Donald Trump’s recent letter to Azerbaijani President Ilham Aliyev in connection with the 24th International Oil and Gas Exhibition held in Baku.
The diplomat outlined that the US is interested to develop trade and business relations with Azerbaijan, adding that his country gives huge importance to cooperating with Azerbaijan in countering terrorism.
In addition to energy and security, he also outlined the importance of political dialogue and promotion of democratic principles.
- 21.10.2017Pan-African Parliament’s President to visit Azerbaijan
- 20.10.2017Kubiv: Positivity in Kiev-Baku relations bothers some inside and outside of Ukraine
- 20.10.2017Austrian ambassador: Azerbaijan and Armenia can not be forced into one way of solution - INTERVIEW
- 20.10.2017Ilham Aliyev: Azerbaijan’s external debt less than 20% of GDP - UPDATED
- 20.10.2017Azerbaijani president ends visit to Turkey
- 20.10.2017MP Samad Seyidov criticizes Ukrainian colleagues for voting against Azerbaijan at PACE
- 20.10.2017President Ilham Aliyev attends D8 Summit in Istanbul
- 19.10.2017Azerbaijani President met with Iranian First Vice President in Istanbul
- 19.10.2017Azerbaijani president arrives in Turkey
- 19.10.2017Moscow: Main articles of convention on Caspian Sea status agreed
- 19.10.2017Azerbaijani FM receives delegation of Cooperation Council for Arab States of Gulf
- 19.10.2017Baku to host next round of talks on new EU-Azerbaijan deal
- 19.10.2017President Ilham Aliyev receives first vice PM of Ukraine
- 18.10.2017Luxembourgian delegation says the anti-Azerbaijani campaign 'unfair'
- 18.10.2017Azerbaijani president receives CIS Frontier Troops’ Commanders
- 18.10.2017President Ilham Aliyev receives Polish FM - UPDATED
- 18.10.2017President Ilham Aliyev receives delegation of Cooperation Council for Arab States of Gulf - UPDATED
- 18.10.2017Azerbaijani, Polish FMs meet in Baku - UPDATED
- 18.10.2017Azerbaijan hails Poland’s unequivocal stance on principle of territorial integrity
- 18.10.2017Polish FM: Azerbaijan is an energy supplier to Eastern Europe
- 18.10.2017Azerbaijan sees co-op with EU as one of its foreign policy priorities
- 18.10.2017Portugal's interior minister resigns after deadly wildfires
- 18.10.2017FM Mammadyarov: Armenian president’s irresponsibly going beyond joint statement ‘not right’
- 18.10.2017EU: Human trafficking victims are mostly migrants, children and women
- 17.10.2017Mahmoud Abbas congratulates President Aliyev
- 17.10.2017Saudi King congratulates President Aliyev
- 17.10.2017President Ilham Aliyev receives credentials of incoming Greek ambassador
- 17.10.2017Ambassador: US singles out three main directions for implementing economic reforms
- 17.10.2017US assistance to Azerbaijan over past 25 years exceed $1.3 bln – Ambassador Cekuta
- 16.10.2017Azerbaijan seeks to join one of geopolitical groups within Inter-parliamentary Union
- 16.10.2017OPINION: Russia continues to supply modern weapons to occupant Armenia
- 16.10.2017Azerbaijani president ends visit to Switzerland
- 16.10.2017Meeting of Azerbaijani and Armenian presidents took place in constructive atmosphere - STATEMENT
- 16.10.2017A Ban to Shackling for Mentally Disabled People in Ghana
- 16.10.2017Azerbaijan is an important country for U.S. – Ambassador Cekuta
- 14.10.2017Bulgarian president ends visit to Azerbaijan
- 13.10.2017EU says new deal with Azerbaijan should be worked out properly
- 13.10.2017EU urges dialogue between Azerbaijan and PACE
- 13.10.2017US, Azerbaijan enjoy strong partnership in field of security, diplomat says
- 13.10.2017President Rumen Radev reaffirms Bulgaria’s support for realization of Southern Gas Corridor project
- 08.06.2017Turkish ambassador: Terrorism targeting whole world
- 08.06.2017Emmanuel Macron: France to remain committed to its obligations as MG co-chair
- 09.06.2017Azerbaijani, Pakistani foreign ministries exchange letters
- 08.06.2017Malena Mard calls Hahn’s visit to Azerbaijan ahead of Eastern Partnership summit ‘important’
- 08.06.2017EU hails Azerbaijan’s reforms to develop non-oil sector
- 08.06.2017EU says Southern Gas Corridor project is important direction of its relations with Azerbaijan