Under Secretary of State Shannon: Azerbaijan remains a close partner of US in many areas
Washington, D.C. hosted a solemn dinner reception on the occasion of May 28 – Republic Day and the upcoming Day of the Armed Forces of Azerbaijan.
The event was attended by about 1,000 guests including high-ranking officials of the US Administration, congressmen, representatives of several US states, employees of various state and public organizations, more than 40 ambassadors, representatives of academic circles and the local community, as well as representatives of the Azerbaijani, Turkish and Jewish communities, the Azerbaijani Embassy in the US told APA on Thursday.
Addressing the reception, Azerbaijani Ambassador Elin Suleymanov said that the high level representation of the US Administration and other government agencies, as well as numerous friends of Azerbaijan in the event is an indicator of attention to Azerbaijan.
Recalling that this year marks the 25th anniversary of the establishment of diplomatic relations between Azerbaijan and the US, the diplomat touched upon strong partnership relations between the two countries.
The ambassador stressed that Azerbaijan became internationally recognized as a result of a consistent policy pursued by the country's leadership. Suleymanov hailed Azerbaijan’s contributions to peace and security as well as to energy security, noting that Azerbaijan takes an active part in a NATO-led peacekeeping mission in Afghanistan.
In his speech, US Under Secretary of State for Political Affairs Thomas Shannon stressed that Azerbaijan remains a close partner of the US in many areas.
He underlined that Azerbaijan contributes to the energy security of Europe and the world by offering new energy sources.
Shannon noted that the launch of the Baku-Tbilisi-Ceyhan oil pipeline in 2006 marked a critical phase of the bilateral partnership. With regard to the Southern Gas Corridor project, Shannon emphasized Azerbaijan’s key role in the processing and exporting of US energy resources, referring to President Donald Trump’s recent letter to Azerbaijani President Ilham Aliyev in connection with the 24th International Oil and Gas Exhibition held in Baku.
The diplomat outlined that the US is interested to develop trade and business relations with Azerbaijan, adding that his country gives huge importance to cooperating with Azerbaijan in countering terrorism.
In addition to energy and security, he also outlined the importance of political dialogue and promotion of democratic principles.
- 20.06.2018Azerbaijani MP sends open letter to PACE committee members
- 19.06.2018Russian State Duma chairman to visit Azerbaijan
- 19.06.2018UN High Commissioner for Human Rights calls Azerbaijan actively cooperating country
- 19.06.2018Azerbaijani parliament speaker to visit China
- 18.06.2018Baku: No Azerbaijani nationals among Japan earthquake victims
- 15.06.2018Vice-Speaker: Georgia's failure to attend TANAP opening ceremony was due to domestic political situation in the country
- 14.06.2018Delegation of Nizami Ganjavi International Center meets Israeli defense minister
- 14.06.2018Azerbaijani flag hoisted outside Philadelphia Mayor’s Office
- 13.06.2018Donald Trump congratulates Ilham Aliyev on Eid al-Fitr
- 13.06.2018Process of border delimitation with Georgia ‘relatively passive’, says Azerbaijan
- 13.06.2018Putin: Political co-op between Russia, Azerbaijan is stable
- 13.06.2018Summit of Caspian states planned to be held in first half of August – Azerbaijani diplomat
- 13.06.2018Azerbaijani president to visit Russia again on Aug. 30 – Putin
- 13.06.2018PACE Monitoring Committee to appoint new co-rapporteur on Azerbaijan on June 28
- 13.06.2018PACE to appoint rapporteur for preparation of report on “political prisoners in Azerbaijan”
- 13.06.2018Matthew Bryza: TANAP has turned Azerbaijan into a key player in global energy market - INTERVIEW
- 13.06.2018Azerbaijani President pays working visit to Russia
- 12.06.2018Azerbaijani president to visit Ukraine
- 12.06.2018Azerbaijan invites Ukraine to join Southern Gas Corridor project
- 12.06.2018President Ilham Aliyev meets BP CEO - UPDATED
- 12.06.2018Azerbaijani, Ukrainian presidents meet in Turkey
- 11.06.2018President Ilham Aliyev congratulates Vladimir Putin
- 11.06.2018Azerbaijan grants temporary residence permits to over 3,000 foreigners in May
- 11.06.2018No plan for Azerbaijani, Armenian leaders to meet in Moscow – Yerevan
- 11.06.2018Azerbaijani president to attend FIFA World Cup opening ceremony in Russia
- 10.06.2018President Ilham Aliyev accepted credentials of incoming Bulgarian ambassador - UPDATED
- 10.06.2018President Ilham Aliyev received credentials of incoming Peruvian ambassador - UPDATED
- 10.06.2018President Ilham Aliyev received credentials of incoming Russian ambassador - UPDATED
- 09.06.2018Samad Seyidov: There is possibility of pressure on Azerbaijan under the name of “political prisoner”
- 09.06.2018Azerbaijan plays crucial role in geopolitical, transport and energy issues: ACRE
- 09.06.2018ACRE calls for end to anti-Azerbaijani decisions in Council of Europe
- 09.06.2018Baku Summit of Alliance of Conservatives and Reformists in Europe kicks off
- 08.06.2018President Ilham Aliyev congratulates Queen Elizabeth II
- 08.06.2018Azerbaijan’s Cabinet of Ministers holds expanded meeting
- 08.06.2018Ilham Aliyev receives president of Alliance of Conservatives and Reformists in Europe
- 08.06.2018Azerbaijani FM receives incoming Russian ambassador
- 08.06.2018U.S. welcomes TANAP completion – diplomat
- 08.06.2018Incoming U.S. ambassador to Azerbaijan not named yet, diplomat says
- 08.06.2018Gambia supports Azerbaijan’s position on Karabakh conflict settlement – FM
- 08.06.2018FM: Gambian president resolutely condemns occupation of Azerbaijani lands by Armenia - UPDATED
- 08.06.2017Turkish ambassador: Terrorism targeting whole world
- 08.06.2017Emmanuel Macron: France to remain committed to its obligations as MG co-chair
- 09.06.2017Azerbaijani, Pakistani foreign ministries exchange letters
- 08.06.2017Malena Mard calls Hahn’s visit to Azerbaijan ahead of Eastern Partnership summit ‘important’
- 08.06.2017EU hails Azerbaijan’s reforms to develop non-oil sector
- 08.06.2017EU says Southern Gas Corridor project is important direction of its relations with Azerbaijan