Under Secretary of State Shannon: Azerbaijan remains a close partner of US in many areas
Washington, D.C. hosted a solemn dinner reception on the occasion of May 28 – Republic Day and the upcoming Day of the Armed Forces of Azerbaijan.
The event was attended by about 1,000 guests including high-ranking officials of the US Administration, congressmen, representatives of several US states, employees of various state and public organizations, more than 40 ambassadors, representatives of academic circles and the local community, as well as representatives of the Azerbaijani, Turkish and Jewish communities, the Azerbaijani Embassy in the US told APA on Thursday.
Addressing the reception, Azerbaijani Ambassador Elin Suleymanov said that the high level representation of the US Administration and other government agencies, as well as numerous friends of Azerbaijan in the event is an indicator of attention to Azerbaijan.
Recalling that this year marks the 25th anniversary of the establishment of diplomatic relations between Azerbaijan and the US, the diplomat touched upon strong partnership relations between the two countries.
The ambassador stressed that Azerbaijan became internationally recognized as a result of a consistent policy pursued by the country's leadership. Suleymanov hailed Azerbaijan’s contributions to peace and security as well as to energy security, noting that Azerbaijan takes an active part in a NATO-led peacekeeping mission in Afghanistan.
In his speech, US Under Secretary of State for Political Affairs Thomas Shannon stressed that Azerbaijan remains a close partner of the US in many areas.
He underlined that Azerbaijan contributes to the energy security of Europe and the world by offering new energy sources.
Shannon noted that the launch of the Baku-Tbilisi-Ceyhan oil pipeline in 2006 marked a critical phase of the bilateral partnership. With regard to the Southern Gas Corridor project, Shannon emphasized Azerbaijan’s key role in the processing and exporting of US energy resources, referring to President Donald Trump’s recent letter to Azerbaijani President Ilham Aliyev in connection with the 24th International Oil and Gas Exhibition held in Baku.
The diplomat outlined that the US is interested to develop trade and business relations with Azerbaijan, adding that his country gives huge importance to cooperating with Azerbaijan in countering terrorism.
In addition to energy and security, he also outlined the importance of political dialogue and promotion of democratic principles.
- 28.06.2017Azerbaijani President: “The Southern Gas Corridor is the only new source of gas supplies to Europe”
- 27.06.2017President Ilham Aliyev: Declaration signed between Azerbaijan and Poland is a very serious political document
- 27.06.2017Presidents of Azerbaijan, Poland hold expanded meeting - UPDATED
- 27.06.2017Polish president: We would like to create a direct railway line between Azerbaijan and Poland
- 27.06.2017Azerbaijani, Polish presidents hold one-on-one meeting in Warsaw - UPDATED
- 27.06.2017Azerbaijan, Poland sign documents
- 27.06.2017Azerbaijani, Polish presidents make statements to the press
- 27.06.2017Azerbaijani, Polish presidents exchange gifts
- 27.06.2017Official welcome ceremony held for Azerbaijani president in Warsaw
- 26.06.2017Azerbaijani president arrives in Warsaw for official visit
- 26.06.2017Uncertainty continues over Agramunt’s PACE presidency
- 25.06.2017President Ilham Aliyev received Russian deputy prime minister
- 25.06.2017President Ilham Aliyev received President and Chairman of VTB Bank Management Board
- 25.06.2017President Ilham Aliyev received Executive Chairman of Formula One Group
- 25.06.2017President Ilham Aliyev received editor-in-chief of Russian “Zavtra” newspaper
- 24.06.2017Azerbaijani President sends congratulatory letter to Slovenian president
- 24.06.2017Azerbaijani President sends congratulatory letter to Croatian president
- 23.06.2017Azerbaijan names new ambassador to France
- 23.06.2017Moldovan president completes visit to Azerbaijan
- 23.06.2017Ilham Aliyev: Azerbaijan, Georgia should implement joint educational projects - UPDATED
- 23.06.2017Azerbaijan to demand explanation from Czech Foreign Ministry on ambassador’s statements
- 23.06.2017Azerbaijan's candidate for UNESCO director-general visits Germany
- 23.06.2017Azerbaijani FM meets Costa Rican counterpart in Baku
- 23.06.2017Azerbaijani president congratulates new Saudi crown prince
- 23.06.2017President Ilham Aliyev receives Costa Rican FM
- 23.06.2017Malena Mard: I will get back to work in Swedish foreign ministry
- 23.06.2017UK Ambassador: Azerbaijan is not only a major global energy player but also a source of opportunity for other areas of business
- 22.06.2017Azerbaijani president: “Need to give dynamism to the relations between Azerbaijan and Moldova”
- 22.06.2017Azerbaijan provides aid to four countries stricken by famine threat
- 22.06.2017Moldovan president visits Alley of Martyrs in Baku
- 22.06.2017Moldovan president pays respect to Azerbaijan's national leader Heydar Aliyev
- 22.06.2017Igor Dodon: Wide range of issues discussed at meeting with Azerbaijani president
- 22.06.2017Ilham Aliyev: Azerbaijan, Moldova have good potential for trade and economic cooperation
- 22.06.2017Azerbaijani president hosts official dinner reception in honor of Moldovan counterpart
- 22.06.2017Azerbaijani, Moldovan presidents make press statements
- 22.06.2017Azerbaijani, Moldovan presidents hold expanded meeting
- 22.06.2017PACE co-rapporteurs issue statement after their visit to Azerbaijan
- 22.06.2017Azerbaijani, Moldovan presidents hold one-on-one meeting
- 22.06.2017Official welcoming ceremony held for Moldovan president
- 21.06.2017Moldovan president arrives in Azerbaijan for official visit
- 08.06.2017Turkish ambassador: Terrorism targeting whole world
- 08.06.2017Emmanuel Macron: France to remain committed to its obligations as MG co-chair
- 09.06.2017Azerbaijani, Pakistani foreign ministries exchange letters
- 08.06.2017Malena Mard calls Hahn’s visit to Azerbaijan ahead of Eastern Partnership summit ‘important’
- 08.06.2017EU hails Azerbaijan’s reforms to develop non-oil sector
- 08.06.2017EU says Southern Gas Corridor project is important direction of its relations with Azerbaijan