Under Secretary of State Shannon: Azerbaijan remains a close partner of US in many areas
Washington, D.C. hosted a solemn dinner reception on the occasion of May 28 – Republic Day and the upcoming Day of the Armed Forces of Azerbaijan.
The event was attended by about 1,000 guests including high-ranking officials of the US Administration, congressmen, representatives of several US states, employees of various state and public organizations, more than 40 ambassadors, representatives of academic circles and the local community, as well as representatives of the Azerbaijani, Turkish and Jewish communities, the Azerbaijani Embassy in the US told APA on Thursday.
Addressing the reception, Azerbaijani Ambassador Elin Suleymanov said that the high level representation of the US Administration and other government agencies, as well as numerous friends of Azerbaijan in the event is an indicator of attention to Azerbaijan.
Recalling that this year marks the 25th anniversary of the establishment of diplomatic relations between Azerbaijan and the US, the diplomat touched upon strong partnership relations between the two countries.
The ambassador stressed that Azerbaijan became internationally recognized as a result of a consistent policy pursued by the country's leadership. Suleymanov hailed Azerbaijan’s contributions to peace and security as well as to energy security, noting that Azerbaijan takes an active part in a NATO-led peacekeeping mission in Afghanistan.
In his speech, US Under Secretary of State for Political Affairs Thomas Shannon stressed that Azerbaijan remains a close partner of the US in many areas.
He underlined that Azerbaijan contributes to the energy security of Europe and the world by offering new energy sources.
Shannon noted that the launch of the Baku-Tbilisi-Ceyhan oil pipeline in 2006 marked a critical phase of the bilateral partnership. With regard to the Southern Gas Corridor project, Shannon emphasized Azerbaijan’s key role in the processing and exporting of US energy resources, referring to President Donald Trump’s recent letter to Azerbaijani President Ilham Aliyev in connection with the 24th International Oil and Gas Exhibition held in Baku.
The diplomat outlined that the US is interested to develop trade and business relations with Azerbaijan, adding that his country gives huge importance to cooperating with Azerbaijan in countering terrorism.
In addition to energy and security, he also outlined the importance of political dialogue and promotion of democratic principles.
- 12.12.2017President Ilham Aliyev arrives in Turkey
- 12.12.2017Iran’s Rouhani to visit Azerbaijan next year
- 12.12.2017ECHR: Armenia has to pay for damage to Azerbaijani IDPs
- 12.12.2017Caucasian Muslims Office issues statement on al-Quds
- 12.12.2017Kazakh President Nazarbayev to propose date for Caspian summit
- 12.12.2017Deputy FM says he doesn’t believe in Azerbaijan’s accession to WTO in coming years
- 12.12.2017Azerbaijan says issues on aviation agreement with EU can be resolved in early 2018
- 12.12.2017Azerbaijan, Georgia to continue negotiations on border delimitation early next year
- 12.12.2017Caspian states to sign separate agreement on water surface division
- 12.12.2017No middle line or any common principle for division of Caspian seabed: Azerbaijani deputy FM
- 12.12.2017Talks on new Azerbaijan-EU agreement may end by late 2018 – deputy FM
- 11.12.2017President Ilham Aliyev receives Russian State Duma delegation
- 09.12.2017Erdogan invites Ilham Aliyev to attend OIC summit on Jerusalem issue
- 08.12.2017President Aliyev appoints Azerbaijan’s honorary consul to Djibouti
- 08.12.2017Azerbaijan appoints new ambassador to Croatia
- 08.12.2017Azerbaijan recalls ambassador from Tajikistan
- 08.12.2017Russia never requested Azerbaijan for agrément for Georgy Zuev - Lavrov
- 08.12.2017President Ilham Aliyev receives credentials of incoming Sudanese ambassador
- 07.12.2017Elmar Mammadyarov attends the meeting of the GUAM Council of MFA
- 07.12.2017“ASAN Service” is a huge revolution in field of public services – Azerbaijani president
- 07.12.2017Israeli Embassy in Baku reacts to protests over Trump’s Jerusalem declaration
- 07.12.2017UK minister of state for trade to visit Azerbaijan
- 07.12.2017Novruz Mammadov: Azerbaijani public concerned over unfair attitude of certain circles in West and Europe
- 07.12.2017Lavrov: Russia will contribute to search for mutually acceptable solutions to Karabakh conflict
- 07.12.2017President Ilham Aliyev arrives in Guba district
- 07.12.2017Azerbaijan supports peaceful settlement of Israeli-Palestinian conflict - Foreign Ministry
- 06.12.2017Ilham Aliyev: Azerbaijan expands partnership with Russia in technology sector
- 06.12.2017Azerbaijani deputy FM: Int’l rules can be applied regarding controversial deposits in Caspian Sea
- 06.12.2017Draft Convention on Caspian status includes preservation of military balance: Azerbaijani MFA
- 06.12.2017Azerbaijani deputy FM reveals Caspian division principles
- 06.12.2017Baku: Draft Convention on Caspian Sea status coordinated
- 06.12.2017President Ilham Aliyev views Bakutel-2017 exhibition
- 06.12.2017Azerbaijani, Armenian FMs to meet in Vienna today
- 05.12.2017Baku host reception on occasion of Japanese Emperor's birthday
- 05.12.2017Azerbaijani president sends congratulatory letter to Finnish counterpart
- 05.12.2017Caspian states plan to hold joint drills – Lavrov
- 05.12.2017Moscow says 20-year work on Caspian Sea legal status ‘finalized’
- 05.12.2017Lavrov: Discussions on all open issues regarding Convention on Caspian Sea legal status yielded result
- 05.12.2017MP Slutsky proposes creating Russia-Azerbaijan-Iran parliamentary troika
- 05.12.2017Samad Seyidov: Azerbaijan ‘not in favor’ of EU integration
- 08.06.2017Turkish ambassador: Terrorism targeting whole world
- 08.06.2017Emmanuel Macron: France to remain committed to its obligations as MG co-chair
- 09.06.2017Azerbaijani, Pakistani foreign ministries exchange letters
- 08.06.2017Malena Mard calls Hahn’s visit to Azerbaijan ahead of Eastern Partnership summit ‘important’
- 08.06.2017EU hails Azerbaijan’s reforms to develop non-oil sector
- 08.06.2017EU says Southern Gas Corridor project is important direction of its relations with Azerbaijan