Vital role of Azerbaijani oil in WWII victory highlighted in Los Angeles
Baku - APA. The documentary film “Objective Baku: How Hitler lost the battle for oil” was screened in Los Angeles on May 15, 2016. The film highlights the strategic role of the Azerbaijani oil in achieving the victory over the Nazi Germany.
The screening of the film was co-hosted by the ‘Save a Heart Foundation’ and Azerbaijan’s Consulate General in Los Angeles.
The film was produced with the support of Azerbaijan’s Heydar Aliyev Foundation, and aired in May 2015 by the National Geographic channel in 26 countries. Produced by Arzu Aliyeva, the film speaks about Hitler’s plans to invade Baku (Azerbaijan), which was then providing 80% of oil for the Soviet Union. Thus, four out of five Soviet aircrafts, tanks and trucks used in the course of the Second World War ran on fuel produced in Baku.
Greeting the guests, the famous cardiologist Dr. Yzhar Charuzi of the ‘Save a Heart Foundation’, stressed the importance of the documentary for highlighting the aspects of the World War II, which are still generally unknown. He congratulated the film producers with an excellent job bringing these historic facts to the public at large.
Speaking afterwards, Azerbaijan’s Consul General in Los Angeles Nasimi Aghayev elaborated on the film and its great role in educating younger generations about the tragedies of the World War II. Mentioning the enormous sacrifices made by the Azerbaijani people both in the battlefield and home front, the Consul General noted that out of 700,000 Azerbaijanis conscripted to the front around 400,000 perished fighting against the Nazis. He said that this loss, which constituted around 10% of Azerbaijan’s total population then, was almost equal to the loss of the United States in the same war. Stressing the strategic importance of the petrol extracted by tireless Azerbaijani oil workers, Nasimi Aghayev said that without the energy supplies from Azerbaijan, the Soviet Army would have been unable to defeat the Nazi Germany and the whole course of the World War II could have been quite different.
Then the film was screened, which was received with much applause. Following the successful screening, Consul General Aghayev responded to questions from the audience.
- 19.02.2018Arif Aziz celebrated through fashion prism of Leonie Mergen during London Fashion Week
- 26.01.2018Azerbaijani parliament to discuss bill on preservation and development of mugham
- 10.01.2018Vakhtang Kikabidze's concert was held at the "Veselo" festival in Gabala
- 25.12.2017President Ilham Aliyev presents "Istiglal" Order to People's Artist Farhad Badalbayli
- 20.12.2017U.S. Embassy sponsors “Of Mice and Men” performance by ASA Theater
- 13.12.2017‘Switzerland and its nature’ painting exhibition opens in Baku
- 25.11.2017A concert held in London dedicated to the 100th anniversary of Covadat Hajiyev
- 06.11.2017Jazzman Isfar Sarabski raises the roof in Reims
- 28.10.2017Azerbaijani President awards Rauf Abdullayev with order
- 11.10.2017Azerbaijani defense minister leaves for Tajikistan
- 15.09.2017Ashug Adalat laid to rest
- 14.09.2017Famous Azerbaijani ashug dies
- 11.09.2017“Modernism and Fashion” exhibition of Alexandre Vassiliev’s collection to open at Heydar Aliyev Center
- 09.09.2017Baku hosting 2nd Indonesian Cultural Festival
- 05.09.2017Karabakh-Collection designer Leonie Mergen featured in British Vogue
- 05.09.2017Top Indian band ‘Indian Ocean’ to present concerts in Azerbaijan
- 28.08.2017Ministry: No request received for organization of Googoosh concert in Azerbaijan
- 21.08.2017The Silk Road – and the spirit of Azerbaijan – combines with Monet’s inspirational environment
- 02.08.2017Jeanne Gendelman: Famous musicians performing in Gabala, onlookers enjoying festive atmosphere
- 17.07.2017Sculptor Tokay Mammadov awarded honorary diploma of Azerbaijani president
- 11.07.2017“Pomegranate Orchard” film nominated for Asia Pacific Screen Awards
- 31.05.2017Armenia breaks ceasefire with Azerbaijan 120 times in 24 hours
- 22.05.2017Shahin Novrasli – presented by the legendary Ahmad Jamal in Paris
- 05.05.2017Carpet stolen by Armenians from Karabakh, taken to US to be exhibited in Baku
- 09.03.2017European premiere of “Ali and Nino” held in Brussels
- 23.02.2017Not Frozen, Never Forgotten – the plight of Azerbaijani IDPs highlighted in Brussels
- 30.01.2017Film scripted by APA Holding employee invited to int’l film festival
- 28.12.2016Famous Azerbaijani singer Zeynab Khanlarova turns 80 today
- 26.12.2016Azerbaijani People’s artist Aghakhan Abdullayev laid to rest
- 26.12.2016First Lady Mehriban Aliyeva attends farewell ceremony for People’s Artist Aghakhan Abdullayev
- 22.12.2016Azerbaijani people’s artist Mukhtar Maniyev passes away
- 14.12.2016Great cultural, literary figures Azerbaijan and the world lost in 2016 - LIST
- 12.12.2016Honored artist of Azerbaijan Ismayil Mammadov dies
- 27.10.2016Baku to host European film festival
- 26.10.2016‘Ali and Nino’ premieres in Los Angeles to great acclaim
- 24.10.2016Jeffrey Werbock: Had I not known Azerbaijan, I would have been living ordinary life - INTERVIEW
- 21.10.2016“Sayat Nova is Azerbaijani, not Armenian; he is Seyat Neva”
- 06.10.2016Mehriban Aliyeva attends premiere of "Ali and Nino"
- 14.09.2016Pope Francis thanks Azerbaijani sculptor for making his bust
- 09.09.2016Endless corridor movie to be shown in Al Jazeera TV
- 09.06.2016Heydar Aliyev Center to host George Condo’s exhibition
- 17.06.2016Exhibition of famous artist George Condo opens at Heydar Aliyev Center
- 30.06.2016Baku hosts photo exhibition depicting life of national minorities
- 27.04.2016Films on Azerbaijan produced in Los Angeles
- 12.04.2016Pascal Contet and Travelling Quartet to perform at Heydar Aliyev Center
- 07.03.2016Vidadi Muradov awarded Shohrat Order