Azerbaijani billionaire earns $1.8B after Trump’s victory
Russia’s richest men, some of whom have close ties to President Vladimir Putin, have gained $29 billion since the election of Donald Trump, thanks to the rising value of Russian stocks and currency, Forbes reported.
Among the biggest beneficiaries: Gennady Timchenko, who was a primary target of 2014 U.S. government sanctions aimed at Putin’s inner circle. Shares of publicly traded natural gas producer Novatek are up 16% since the election, enough to boost the value of Timchenko’s estimated 23% stake by $1.8 billion. The Russian businessman sold his 43% stake in the oil trading firm Gunvor, which he cofounded, one day before the U.S. Treasury Department leveled sanctions against him in March 2014. U.S. officials alleged that Putin was invested in the firm and may have had access to its funds. Today much of Timchenko’s $15.1 billion fortune is privately held and therefore more difficult to track on a daily basis than his shares of Novatek.
Russia’s richest man, Leonid Mikhelson, added more to his fortune than anyone else. Also an investor in Novatek, Mikhelson has gained an estimated $1.9 billion since the U.S. election, boosting his net worth to $18.2 billion.
Altogether, Russia’s billionaires have added an estimated $29 billion since Trump’s election, more than the combined gains of billionaires in any country besides the United States. Forbes counts more than six times as many American billionaires as Russian billionaires. While the Americans have boosted their net worth by an average of 2.8% since the election, the richest Russians have increased their fortunes by an average of 7.1%.
Steel magnates Alexey Mordashov and Vladimir Lisin were other big gainers, adding $1.6 billion and $1.4 billion, respectively, since the election. Roughly $830 million of Lisin’s gain came within three days of Trump’s victory.
Azerbaijani-born Russian billionaire, president of Lukoil Vahid ALekberov gained $1.8 billion after Trump won the elections. Lukoil’s shares went up 8% since OPEC deal on oil output cut. Lukoil’s shares totally went up 59% in 2016.
Related news releases
- 28.06.2018Azerbaijani President approves Action Plan on improvement of control system over import and export operations
- 23.04.2018Trade turnover between Azerbaijan and Russia increases by 32% in Q1
- 23.04.2018Azerbaijan to produce small trucks jointly with Russia
- 06.04.2018Export on non-oil sector in two months amounts to $241.7M
- 15.03.2018Number and salary of workers in economy announced
- 15.03.2018Google bans cryptocurrency advertising, bitcoin price slumps
- 13.03.2018Minister: Iran to lease private hospital in Azerbaijan
- 12.03.2018Azerbaijan to host international food industry exhibition
- 12.03.2018Registration for CEO Lunch Baku ongoing
- 09.03.2018Azerbaijani Central Bank announces manat's average rate
- 01.03.2018Activity directions of Agency for Development of Small and Medium-Sized Enterprises of Azerbaijan announced - INTERVIEW
- 27.02.2018Ilham Aliyev: Our main goal is to increase non-oil export
- 12.02.2018Amazon cutting hundreds of jobs: Seattle Times
- 08.02.2018President Ilham Aliyev receives Senior Executive Vice President of Thales International
- 08.02.2018US crude production hits record, passing Saudi Arabia
- 07.02.2018Company illegally operating in Nagorno Karabakh prevented from participating in exhibition in Russia
- 06.02.2018Azerbaijani president approves amendment to Law on Entrepreneurial activity
- 31.01.2018Fed holds interest rates steady
- 31.01.2018Authority to be created for management of Alat free trade zone
- 22.01.2018Trade turnover between Azerbaijan and Georgia exceeds $880M in 2017
- 18.01.2018Azerbaijan gets 2% rise in consumption market in 2017
- 12.01.2018‘Mover’: No problem in goods delivery to Azerbaijan
- 11.01.2018Azerbaijan increases amount of funds for organizing export missions to foreign countries
- 11.01.2018Azerbaijan will organize purchase missions for foreigners
- 29.12.2017Entrepreneurial activity divided into four subjects in Azerbaijan
- 28.12.2017Agency on Development of Small and Medium Entrepreneurship established under Ministry of Economy
- 27.12.2017Caspian European Club compiles annual investment rating of economic regions of Azerbaijan
- 26.12.2017Azerbaijani billionaires buy one of Russia’s largest sports complexes
- 25.12.2017Excise on import of beers and alcoholic drinks increased in Azerbaijan
- 25.12.2017Excise on tobacco and tobacco products imported to Azerbaijan doubles
- 15.12.2017President: Facilities to put an end to dependence on import are launched in Azerbaijan
- 13.12.2017Azerbaijani businessman sells Cherkizovo at $2B
- 12.12.2017Apple confirmed Monday it has acquired the music discovery app Shazam, APA reports quoting Anadolu Agency.
- 07.12.2017President: 5,000 people illegally working in construction started to work on the basis of labour contracts within a few months
- 07.12.2017Azerkhalcha OJSC opens branch in Guba
- 04.12.2017Ministry: Fares paid by clients for taxi services are free of VAT
- 30.11.2017US Ambassador to Become Honorary Guest of CEO Lunch Baku
- 29.11.2017Azerbaijani president receives delegation of CISCO company - UPDATED
- 28.11.2017Azerbaijani president inaugurates bread and flour plant in Agjabadi
- 21.11.2017Telman Ismayilov: I also have something to say
- 11.01.2017BMW goes to law for declaring Telman Ismayilov’s son bankrupt
- 16.01.2017Oil price rise will cause Turkey to increase export to Azerbaijan - International Transporters' Association
- 18.01.2017President: Azerbaijan entered a new stage of development - UPDATED
- 28.12.2016Sumgayit Superfosfat OJSC owes AZN 3M
- 20.12.2016Tax amnesty to concern 45,000 taxpayers - UPDATED
- 20.12.2016Committee chairman: Tax amnesty to leave AZN 600M to entrepreneurs