Oil rises for seventh session, U.S. stocks rebound
Oil rose for a seventh straight session on Friday on a declining U.S. rig count and stronger demand data from China, while U.S. equities mostly rebounded to end a volatile week on an up-beat, helped by a double-digit jump in Nike shares, APA reports quoting Reuters.
The dollar recovered slightly but hawkish signals this week from the European Central Bank, Bank of England and Bank of Canada led the greenback to post its biggest quarterly decline against a basket of currencies in nearly seven years.
Among other contrasts, the euro rose 7 percent in its best quarter since 2010, while the benchmark S&P 500 and Dow industrial indices marked their best first half of the year since 2013 and gold notched its first monthly loss this year.
Oil rose after energy services company Baker Hughes [RIG/U] said U.S. drillers cut their rig count for the first time since January, while Chinese factories boosted output at their fastest pace in three months.
The strong data from China "certainly gives you hope that demand is growing globally," said Rob Haworth, senior investment strategist at U.S. Bank Wealth Management.
U.S. crude futures CLc1 settled up $1.11 at $46.04 a barrel, the first close above $46 in two weeks. Benchmark Brent crude futures LCOc1 rose 50 cents to settle at $47.92 a barrel.
Both benchmarks ended the first half with declines of more than 14 percent, the largest drop since Brent and U.S. crude fell about 19 percent in the first half of 1998.
Crude had slumped to a 10-month low last week as rising output revived concerns about global oil glut.
Rising expectations for tighter monetary policy from major central banks and skepticism the Federal Reserve would be able to raise interest rates again this year has weakened the dollar's appeal.
The dollar index was last up 0.03 percent at 95.653, while the euro was down 0.17 percent against the dollar at $1.1421.
The euro touched its strongest in nearly 14 months on Thursday, at $1.1445, while the dollar index touched a roughly nine-month low of 95.470 early Friday.
Nike shares (NKE.N) rose 11 percent after the world's largest footwear maker reported a quarterly profit that topped estimates and said it would launch a pilot online sales program with Amazon.com (AMZN.O).
Nike shares were the biggest boost to both the Dow industrials and the S&P 500.
The Dow Jones Industrial Average .DJI closed up 62.6 points, or 0.29 percent, to 21,349.63 and the S&P 500 .SPX gained 3.71 points, or 0.15 percent, to 2,423.41. The Nasdaq Composite .IXIC dropped 3.93 points, or 0.06 percent, to 6,140.42.
Related news releases
- 12.01.2018‘Mover’: No problem in goods delivery to Azerbaijan
- 11.01.2018Azerbaijan increases amount of funds for organizing export missions to foreign countries
- 11.01.2018Azerbaijan will organize purchase missions for foreigners
- 29.12.2017Entrepreneurial activity divided into four subjects in Azerbaijan
- 28.12.2017Agency on Development of Small and Medium Entrepreneurship established under Ministry of Economy
- 27.12.2017Caspian European Club compiles annual investment rating of economic regions of Azerbaijan
- 26.12.2017Azerbaijani billionaires buy one of Russia’s largest sports complexes
- 25.12.2017Excise on import of beers and alcoholic drinks increased in Azerbaijan
- 25.12.2017Excise on tobacco and tobacco products imported to Azerbaijan doubles
- 15.12.2017President: Facilities to put an end to dependence on import are launched in Azerbaijan
- 13.12.2017Azerbaijani businessman sells Cherkizovo at $2B
- 12.12.2017Apple confirmed Monday it has acquired the music discovery app Shazam, APA reports quoting Anadolu Agency.
- 07.12.2017President: 5,000 people illegally working in construction started to work on the basis of labour contracts within a few months
- 07.12.2017Azerkhalcha OJSC opens branch in Guba
- 04.12.2017Ministry: Fares paid by clients for taxi services are free of VAT
- 30.11.2017US Ambassador to Become Honorary Guest of CEO Lunch Baku
- 29.11.2017Azerbaijani president receives delegation of CISCO company - UPDATED
- 28.11.2017Azerbaijani president inaugurates bread and flour plant in Agjabadi
- 21.11.2017Telman Ismayilov: I also have something to say
- 21.11.2017More than two hundred HR professionals benefit from Gilan Holding’s master class
- 10.11.2017President Ilham Aliyev attends opening of “Grand Qafqaz” trade complex in Ganja
- 07.11.2017Broadcom bids $103 billion for Qualcomm, open to going hostile
- 06.11.2017Tekfen’s portfolio on Azerbaijan makes up $2.1B - ANALYSIS
- 03.11.2017Moratorium on business inspections extended until 2021
- 31.10.2017Moratorium on business inspections extended until 2021
- 27.10.2017Lavrov: Azerbaijani investors actively participate in construction of new factories in Astrakhan
- 25.10.2017Second Baku Shopping Festival shows that first festival reached its goal - Turkish Ambassador
- 19.10.2017EBay reports 8.7 percent rise in quarterly revenue
- 16.10.2017US investments in Azerbaijan near $13 billion
- 16.10.2017US interested in expansion of trade with Azerbaijan – commercial service
- 09.10.2017Azerbaijani president approves Action Plan on prevention of informal employment
- 09.10.2017Baku to host Azerbaijan-GCC business forum
- 09.10.2017President: Socio-political situation and economic development in Azerbaijan set an example for some countries
- 04.10.2017Gilan Holding to participate in 11th Azerbaijan International Career Exhibition
- 28.09.2017Azerbaijani president allocates AZN 1M for organization of Baku Shopping Festival
- 28.09.2017Azerbaijan imposes new punishments for earning incomes from illegal business
- 15.09.2017Azerbaijan creating Credit Guarantee Fund
- 02.09.2017President Ilham Aliyev views Astara Chay LLC’s tea plantation in Lankaran
- 02.09.2017President Ilham Aliyev views “Yashil Chay” plantation in Lankaran
- 19.06.2017Retail trade turnover increases 2% in Azerbaijan
- 21.07.2017Turkish–Azerbaijani relations take centre-stage
- 21.07.2017President: Lack of fish market in Baku is shortcoming
- 03.08.2017Azerbaijani president views rose oil plant in Zagatala
- 27.06.2017Azerbaijan-Poland business forum held in Warsaw
- 23.06.2017President: Azerbaijan’s export increased more than 40%
- 22.06.2017Baku to host 5th CEO Lunch