Tesla becomes most valuable U.S. car maker, edges out GM
Tesla Inc (TSLA.O) on Monday briefly became the most valuable U.S. car maker, reaching a market capitalization of as much as $51.105 billion, higher than General Motors's (GM.N), APA reports quoting Reuters.
Helped by an analyst's recommendation, the luxury electric car maker's stock rose as much as 3.15 percent to a new record high of $313.73, and its market value was at one point larger than GM's, which was $51.095 billion, before it dropped behind again.
Over the past month, Tesla has surged 35 percent as investors bet that it and Chief Executive Elon Musk will revolutionize the automobile and energy industries.
Tesla's market capitalization is now equivalent to $102,000 for every car it plans to make in 2018, or $667,000 per car sold last year. By comparison, GM's market capitalization is equivalent to $5,000 per car it sold in 2016.
Proponents believe Tesla will become a carbon-free energy and transportation heavyweight and they argue its valuation is reasonable based on long-term expectations for Tesla's growth.
They also point to opportunities from Tesla's acquisition last year of money-losing solar panel installer SolarCity and Tesla's Nevada battery cell plant aimed at driving down manufacturing costs.
"Even with all the risks, we think growth investors can't afford to ignore this stock," wrote Piper Jaffray analyst Alexander Potter in a report on Monday, upgrading Tesla to "overweight" from "neutral".
Skeptics believe Tesla's growth targets are unrealistic and that it is at risk of being overtaken by GM, Ford and other deep-pocketed manufacturers that are ramping up their own electric-vehicle offerings.
effrey Gundlach, who oversees more than $105 billion in assets at Los Angeles-based DoubleLine Capital, told Reuters last week: "As a car company alone, Tesla is crazy high valuation. As a battery company - one that expands and innovates substantially - maybe the valuation can work."
The Silicon Valley car company is rushing to launch its mass-market Model 3 sedan in the second half of 2017 and quickly ramp up its factory to reach a production target of 500,000 cars per year in 2018. Last year it sold 76,230, missing its target of at least 80,000 vehicles. By comparison, GM sold 10 million cars and Ford sold 6.7 million.
Related news releases
- 23.04.2018Trade turnover between Azerbaijan and Russia increases by 32% in Q1
- 23.04.2018Azerbaijan to produce small trucks jointly with Russia
- 06.04.2018Export on non-oil sector in two months amounts to $241.7M
- 15.03.2018Number and salary of workers in economy announced
- 15.03.2018Google bans cryptocurrency advertising, bitcoin price slumps
- 13.03.2018Minister: Iran to lease private hospital in Azerbaijan
- 12.03.2018Azerbaijan to host international food industry exhibition
- 12.03.2018Registration for CEO Lunch Baku ongoing
- 09.03.2018Azerbaijani Central Bank announces manat's average rate
- 01.03.2018Activity directions of Agency for Development of Small and Medium-Sized Enterprises of Azerbaijan announced - INTERVIEW
- 27.02.2018Ilham Aliyev: Our main goal is to increase non-oil export
- 12.02.2018Amazon cutting hundreds of jobs: Seattle Times
- 08.02.2018President Ilham Aliyev receives Senior Executive Vice President of Thales International
- 08.02.2018US crude production hits record, passing Saudi Arabia
- 07.02.2018Company illegally operating in Nagorno Karabakh prevented from participating in exhibition in Russia
- 06.02.2018Azerbaijani president approves amendment to Law on Entrepreneurial activity
- 31.01.2018Fed holds interest rates steady
- 31.01.2018Authority to be created for management of Alat free trade zone
- 22.01.2018Trade turnover between Azerbaijan and Georgia exceeds $880M in 2017
- 18.01.2018Azerbaijan gets 2% rise in consumption market in 2017
- 12.01.2018‘Mover’: No problem in goods delivery to Azerbaijan
- 11.01.2018Azerbaijan increases amount of funds for organizing export missions to foreign countries
- 11.01.2018Azerbaijan will organize purchase missions for foreigners
- 29.12.2017Entrepreneurial activity divided into four subjects in Azerbaijan
- 28.12.2017Agency on Development of Small and Medium Entrepreneurship established under Ministry of Economy
- 27.12.2017Caspian European Club compiles annual investment rating of economic regions of Azerbaijan
- 26.12.2017Azerbaijani billionaires buy one of Russia’s largest sports complexes
- 25.12.2017Excise on import of beers and alcoholic drinks increased in Azerbaijan
- 25.12.2017Excise on tobacco and tobacco products imported to Azerbaijan doubles
- 15.12.2017President: Facilities to put an end to dependence on import are launched in Azerbaijan
- 13.12.2017Azerbaijani businessman sells Cherkizovo at $2B
- 12.12.2017Apple confirmed Monday it has acquired the music discovery app Shazam, APA reports quoting Anadolu Agency.
- 07.12.2017President: 5,000 people illegally working in construction started to work on the basis of labour contracts within a few months
- 07.12.2017Azerkhalcha OJSC opens branch in Guba
- 04.12.2017Ministry: Fares paid by clients for taxi services are free of VAT
- 30.11.2017US Ambassador to Become Honorary Guest of CEO Lunch Baku
- 29.11.2017Azerbaijani president receives delegation of CISCO company - UPDATED
- 28.11.2017Azerbaijani president inaugurates bread and flour plant in Agjabadi
- 21.11.2017Telman Ismayilov: I also have something to say
- 21.11.2017More than two hundred HR professionals benefit from Gilan Holding’s master class
- 12.04.2017Azerbaijan gives investment promotion certificate to 121 projects
- 13.04.2017Trump's message to bankers: Wall Street reform rules may be eliminated
- 17.04.2017Azerbaijan increases non-oil export – president
- 08.04.2017Ambassador: Any violation of Azerbaijani businessmen’s rights to draw immediate reaction
- 08.04.2017Deputy PM: Creation of Food Safety Agency aims to eliminate problems in Azerbaijan’s food safety system
- 06.04.2017US: Fed divided on fiscal stimulus effect on growth