Tesla becomes most valuable U.S. car maker, edges out GM
Tesla Inc (TSLA.O) on Monday briefly became the most valuable U.S. car maker, reaching a market capitalization of as much as $51.105 billion, higher than General Motors's (GM.N), APA reports quoting Reuters.
Helped by an analyst's recommendation, the luxury electric car maker's stock rose as much as 3.15 percent to a new record high of $313.73, and its market value was at one point larger than GM's, which was $51.095 billion, before it dropped behind again.
Over the past month, Tesla has surged 35 percent as investors bet that it and Chief Executive Elon Musk will revolutionize the automobile and energy industries.
Tesla's market capitalization is now equivalent to $102,000 for every car it plans to make in 2018, or $667,000 per car sold last year. By comparison, GM's market capitalization is equivalent to $5,000 per car it sold in 2016.
Proponents believe Tesla will become a carbon-free energy and transportation heavyweight and they argue its valuation is reasonable based on long-term expectations for Tesla's growth.
They also point to opportunities from Tesla's acquisition last year of money-losing solar panel installer SolarCity and Tesla's Nevada battery cell plant aimed at driving down manufacturing costs.
"Even with all the risks, we think growth investors can't afford to ignore this stock," wrote Piper Jaffray analyst Alexander Potter in a report on Monday, upgrading Tesla to "overweight" from "neutral".
Skeptics believe Tesla's growth targets are unrealistic and that it is at risk of being overtaken by GM, Ford and other deep-pocketed manufacturers that are ramping up their own electric-vehicle offerings.
effrey Gundlach, who oversees more than $105 billion in assets at Los Angeles-based DoubleLine Capital, told Reuters last week: "As a car company alone, Tesla is crazy high valuation. As a battery company - one that expands and innovates substantially - maybe the valuation can work."
The Silicon Valley car company is rushing to launch its mass-market Model 3 sedan in the second half of 2017 and quickly ramp up its factory to reach a production target of 500,000 cars per year in 2018. Last year it sold 76,230, missing its target of at least 80,000 vehicles. By comparison, GM sold 10 million cars and Ford sold 6.7 million.
Related news releases
- 03.08.2017Azerbaijani president views rose oil plant in Zagatala
- 21.07.2017President: Lack of fish market in Baku is shortcoming
- 21.07.2017Turkish–Azerbaijani relations take centre-stage
- 01.07.2017Oil rises for seventh session, U.S. stocks rebound
- 27.06.2017Azerbaijan-Poland business forum held in Warsaw
- 23.06.2017President: Azerbaijan’s export increased more than 40%
- 22.06.2017Baku to host 5th CEO Lunch
- 19.06.2017Retail trade turnover increases 2% in Azerbaijan
- 19.06.2017Trade turnover between Azerbaijan and Georgia increases 45%
- 13.06.2017Ministry: Over 6,800 foreigners did not obtain work permit last year
- 13.06.201784 died, 165 injured at work in 2016
- 17.05.2017Gilan Holding doubles export of agricultural products
- 15.05.2017SCC releases statement on reports regarding import of Armenian products to Azerbaijan
- 10.05.2017UK company illegally operating in Nagorno Karabakh warned
- 26.04.2017Azerbaijani companies deny participating in Yalta economic forum
- 26.04.2017Ambassador: Turkish businessmen’s investments in Azerbaijan exceed $9M
- 20.04.2017Russia’s richest Azerbaijani businessmen earn $5B, lose $300M
- 18.04.2017Minister: The volume of non-oil exports is not at the desired level
- 17.04.2017Azerbaijani president: Trade houses should be created in Gulf countries
- 17.04.2017President: “We should train specialists on export”
- 17.04.2017Big sale networks should be invited to Azerbaijan – president
- 17.04.2017Arms trade already brings large amount of currency to Azerbaijan – president
- 17.04.2017“Made in Azerbaijan” brand already famous in world – president
- 28.03.2017Highest development indicators in world scale are in Azerbaijan – president
- 28.03.2017Azerbaijan referred to as exemplary country in combating unemployment - president
- 28.03.2017Entrepreneurs should be active, get access to new markets – president
- 17.03.2017CIS Economic Council developing concept of gradual formation of common labor market
- 14.03.2017Inflation in Azerbaijan made up 1.6% last month
- 03.03.2017Mercedes recalls 354,000 vehicles in US
- 02.03.2017Five Azerbaijanis among Russia’s richest people
- 22.02.2017Baku Business Factory and TransTech Capital sign MoU
- 14.02.2017Ministry of Economy warns economic entities
- 02.02.2017Google becomes world's most valuable brand
- 01.02.2017State duty for granting of licenses for mobile services to make up AZN 1M
- 26.01.2017Azerbaijani businessmen – king of Russia’s real property
- 18.01.2017President: Azerbaijan entered a new stage of development - UPDATED
- 16.01.2017Oil price rise will cause Turkey to increase export to Azerbaijan - International Transporters' Association
- 11.01.2017BMW goes to law for declaring Telman Ismayilov’s son bankrupt
- 10.01.2017Azerbaijani billionaire earns $1.8B after Trump’s victory
- 28.12.2016Sumgayit Superfosfat OJSC owes AZN 3M
- 12.04.2017Azerbaijan gives investment promotion certificate to 121 projects
- 13.04.2017Trump's message to bankers: Wall Street reform rules may be eliminated
- 17.04.2017Azerbaijan increases non-oil export – president
- 08.04.2017Ambassador: Any violation of Azerbaijani businessmen’s rights to draw immediate reaction
- 08.04.2017Deputy PM: Creation of Food Safety Agency aims to eliminate problems in Azerbaijan’s food safety system
- 06.04.2017US: Fed divided on fiscal stimulus effect on growth