BP: Oil prices to come down to $50-$55 a barrel by the end of this year
BP’s profits more than doubled in 2017 to $6.2 billion powered by higher prices and output of oil and gas, allowing the company to resume share buybacks as it recovers from a three-year downturn, Chief Financial Officer Brian Gilvary told Reuters,.
The company will be able to generate profits in 2018 at an oil price of $50 a barrel, he said, as years of spending cuts kicked in and as it slowly shakes off a $65 billion bill for penalties and clean up costs of the deadly 2010 Deepwater Horizon spill.
Full-year production rose 12 percent to 2.47 million barrels per day (bpd) after BP launched 7 new oil and gas fields in 2017, a record year.
BP’s refining and trading segment, known as downstream, saw profits rise to $7 billion in 2017 as earnings for the marketing division rose by more than 10 percent.
Cash flow in the fourth quarter rose slightly to $6.2 billion but fell short of market expectations, raising concerns that cost cuts have run their course, echoing concerns about rivals Royal Dutch Shell, Exxon Mobil and Chevron which reported last week.
BP reported a $2.1 billion fourth-quarter underlying replacement cost profit, the company’s definition of net income, topping forecasts for $1.9 billion, a company-provided survey of analysts showed.
BP’s full year capital spending reached $16.5 billion, within the annual range of $15-$17 billion it plans to maintain until 2021.
Despite the strong start to oil prices, which reached a three-year high in January, Gilvary said he expected prices to come down to $50-$55 a barrel by the end of this year.
Related news releases
- 16.02.2018SGC Advisory Council provides political support to Shahdeniz 2 - DECLARATION
- 16.02.2018Azerbaijan earned $125B from ACG fields block so far
- 16.02.2018TANAP to transport 2 bcm of gas this year
- 16.02.2018BP remains committed to achieving a nationalization target of 90 percent for professional staff by year-end
- 16.02.2018BP-Azerbaijan: Overall, 99 percent of SCPX first gas scope is already complete
- 16.02.2018SCP spends $813M last year
- 16.02.2018Shah Deniz 2 first gas scope is now 99 per cent complete - BP
- 16.02.2018Shahdeniz produces 10.2 bcm of gas and 2.4 million tonnes of condensate last year
- 16.02.2018Amount of capital and operating expenditures on Shahdeniz announced
- 16.02.2018BTC exports 34 million tonnes of crude oil in 2017
- 16.02.2018Sangachal terminal exports more than 283 million barrels of oil in 2017
- 16.02.2018ACG delivers nearly 3 bcm of associated gas to SOCAR last year
- 16.02.2018ACG produces 29 million in total tonnes of oil last year
- 16.02.2018$1.64B spent on ACG last year
- 16.02.2018S&P could downgrade Azerenerji
- 16.02.2018Details of documents signed at the 4th Ministerial Meeting of SGC Advisory Council announced
- 16.02.2018S&P: Without ongoing and extraordinary state support, Azerenerji would face difficulties in servicing its debt
- 16.02.2018S&P anticipates no tariff revisions in Azerbaijan in next two years
- 16.02.2018Azerbaijan gets 73% growth in solar power production in January
- 16.02.2018Azerbaijan increases gasoline and diesel production this year
- 16.02.2018Azerbaijan increases gold production by 7.1-fold last month
- 16.02.2018Azerbaijan reduces oil and gas production
- 16.02.2018S&P: Outlook on Azerenerji is negative
- 16.02.2018Gas transportation via main pipelines increases by over 2%
- 16.02.2018BTC transports 554,000 tonnes of transit oil last month
- 16.02.2018Azerbaijani President: "Azerbaijan is ready to enter the European market with its gas resources"
- 15.02.2018Azerbaijani President: "The Southern Gas Corridor is a main element of the strategy that helps us to diversify our economy" - UPDATED
- 15.02.2018Southern Gas Corridor will ensure energy security worldwide: US State Department official
- 15.02.2018Total construction costs of STAR Refinery increased to $6.3B – Fitch
- 15.02.2018Europe ready to discuss Iran’s joining SGC - Maros Sefcovic
- 15.02.2018Minister: Azerbaijan has successfully been implementing oil and gas strategy for long years
- 15.02.2018Maros Sefcovic: We’ll feel safer when SGC provides Europe with energy
- 15.02.2018Fitch views contract to extend PSA for ACG as positive
- 15.02.2018Maros Sefcovic: Turkmenistan’s joining SGC is being discussed
- 15.02.2018Minister: First gas on TANAP to be transported from Azerbaijan to Turkey in the middle of this year
- 15.02.2018Joint Declaration signed at 4th Ministerial Meeting of SGC Advisory Council
- 15.02.2018Fitch: SOCAR’s capital expenditures will decrease to around AZN 2 billion in 2019-2020
- 15.02.2018Fitch affirms SOCAR’s rating at ‘BB+’
- 15.02.2018Deputy Minister: Italy is determined to implement TAP successfully
- 15.02.2018Sefcovic: Southern Gas Corridor project is of strategic importance
- 07.02.2018Energy producers, distributors and suppliers to pay fee to Energy Regulatory Agency
- 08.02.2018President: All state bodies should work so as if we have not oil sector
- 13.02.2018BP and partners invested $69B in Azerbaijan’s economy
- 06.02.2018Azerbaijan fulfils its obligation on output cut
- 06.02.2018SOCAR’s Kulevi terminal transports 1.6 million tonnes of oil and oil products last year
- 06.02.2018SOFAZ revenues from ACG and Shahdeniz amount to $131.6 bln